Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
In a 16 player store champs I wouldn't give a gently caress. Being nice to a kid who's getting into a cool hobby is much more important.

In a higher level tourney I might be a little more irritated, but I'm an aggressively mid-table player who never really touches s-tier lists, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Just tell the kid he lost and move on.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Finster Dexter posted:

I think mathematically, autothrusters is just not as valuable on low-agility ships. On a single die you get a 5/8 chance that your autothrusters are useless (because you rolled an evade or eyeball) and as your agility increases that chance goes down with each die (24% chance of uselessness at agility 3). I can see why you would be happy with the one time it turned a 0 evade defense into a 1 evade defense, but that's doubly less of a big deal on a 9 HP ship. I think I would take Chimps every time.

thespaceinvader posted:

Yep. Insurance against poo poo attacks is better than insurance against poo poo evade.

E: not to mention that Cluster Missiles got a lot worse for Reddles with the new FAQ, so he double-needs the mods now.

Good points and well made. Will look at that next time.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

canyoneer posted:

Yesterday we had a spring kit event at my local store. 16 players showed up, which is on the low end of average for these events at that store. I didn't end up being able to go because of other commitments through the day, but I dropped off my nephew to play and watched a game or two.

One guy who is a local regular brought his 9 year old son as a competitor. Kid knew all the rules pretty well from playing at home with dad, but I felt bad for the guy who played him in the game I watched. The guy was playing SuperDash '58 and Lothal Rebel with AC/Auto turret. The dude was being very patient with the kid, but at one point I walked over and the guy was there by himself. I asked if the game was over, and he said that the kid wandered off to the bathroom or something. At another point, the kid dropped one red die and it slid underneath some shelving filled with comic books. He dug around for maybe 5-10 minutes trying to find it, delaying the game.

In the end, the game went to time. The guy had half hull on both big ships, and the kid had heavily damaged TIE/D Countess Ryad and a Black Crack remaining (54 points). The guy would have certainly destroyed one or both of the remaining ships with one more turn, but since it went to time he had to take a loss while the kid skated away with a modified win, 50 to 53.

I felt bad for the guy. He was really gracious about it, but I know he had to be thinking that he would have taken a straight win if the kid had been more disciplined by staying at the table. Oh well!

Casual game night is for kids. Don't bring your kids to tournaments. Nobody likes playing against them

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Remember that Guidance Chips can only happen once per round, not once per attack. You can only use it on one of the Cluster Missile's two attacks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It's kind of weird that they did that, because Cluster Missiles seems like the only time that would be relevant.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Some Numbers posted:

It's kind of weird that they did that, because Cluster Missiles seems like the only time that would be relevant.

It also comes into effect if Dengar uses Deadeye to fire both torpedoes in one round, but admittedly that's the only other time I can think of where the once per round limitation would be relevant.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Anyone up for some TTS X-Wings?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Devlan Mud posted:

It also comes into effect if Dengar uses Deadeye to fire both torpedoes in one round, but admittedly that's the only other time I can think of where the once per round limitation would be relevant.

Or K4, I suppose.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I channeled the mighty power of XXX list against my nephew today. He ran a standard brobots (B+C, HLC, crack, FCS, AT) and I ran the following.
Wes Janson (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
R3-A2 (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Predator (3)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
BB-8 (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Tarn Mison (23)
R7 Astromech (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Wes got focus fired down in the first exchange, but the boys managed to strip off 7 of the 8 combined shields on the bots.
After that, I was pretty sure I was going to lose. In a hilarious exchange, Wedge rolled 2 natural crits on an unshielded B, who whiffed the defense roll. The two crits were BOTH Direct Hit, which killed him :lol:

It was really funny

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Just played my TTS League match against ro5s.

My Decimator+Inquisitor vs his Pred/Adv Sensors brobots. I won, 100-32.

Highlights include:
IG-88D almost one-shot Inquisitor on the first round of shooting. Got 3 damage through, leaving Quiz with 1 hull.

Rear Admiral Chiraneau got four crits in a range 1 roll a few turns later, two of which got through to hull. I used Vader for a third, but didn't get the kill that round.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

ConfusedUs wins our league game 100-32.

I nearly one shot the inquisitor, but a bad turn with both IGs on obstacles along with some good flying from ConfusedUS saw him come back. I'm loving IGs though, they're something I want a lot more practice with.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ro5s posted:

ConfusedUs wins our league game 100-32.

I nearly one shot the inquisitor, but a bad turn with both IGs on obstacles along with some good flying from ConfusedUS saw him come back. I'm loving IGs though, they're something I want a lot more practice with.

That was a rough turn for you, man. I was really surprised you did the boost before the sloop.

I think it was the 2-3 turns I was able to bump with RAC that set the win for me. Denying half your list shots on the decimator is a huge defensive win for me. And the deci really doesn't need actions with Predator + RAC's ability.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Big ship bumps are what I fear most in this game. I can sweat out the jumpmasters and the palp aces but the moment I have to get my stupid little ships around that huge elephant foot base I just turn into Mauler Mithel saying 'LOOK OUT'

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Big ship bumps are what I fear most in this game. I can sweat out the jumpmasters and the palp aces but the moment I have to get my stupid little ships around that huge elephant foot base I just turn into Mauler Mithel saying 'LOOK OUT'

Imagine four Lambda Shuttles clustered together in the center of the board, angled so they never have to move. You have to fly at them to get a shot but also maneuver past so you don't get stuck. Are you breathing harder yet?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

alg posted:

Casual game night is for kids. Don't bring your kids to tournaments. Nobody likes playing against them

At a store kit tournament last Saturday, there was a kid there who was around 10 (I guess, no real clue) who was flying Chiraneau/Whisper list. My friend fought him with his 5 A Wing crack shot list, and destroyed the kid in like 3 rounds. I looked over and the kid was crying.

I'm so glad I didn't have to fly against the kid. I may be a terrible person, but even I have no idea how I would have handled making a kid cry about a game of X-Wing...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Imagine four Lambda Shuttles clustered together in the center of the board, angled so they never have to move. You have to fly at them to get a shot but also maneuver past so you don't get stuck. Are you breathing harder yet?

:gonk:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

General Battuta posted:

With my RAC/Inquisitor list, I live for bumps. I want bumps. Every ship that bumps RAC is one less ship that can shoot him, and without actions, they're unlikely to hurt the Inquisitor.

Bumps and Rebel Captive win me games. (Rebel Captive is SO GOOD)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

(Rebel Captive is SO GOOD)

I still say that Scum should be unaffected by Rebel Captive - why would my pirates give a poo poo about the Imperials having a Rebel prisoner aboard? :bahgawd:
Two birds with one stone, I say!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Major Isoor posted:

I still say that Scum should be unaffected by Rebel Captive - why would my pirates give a poo poo about the Imperials having a Rebel prisoner aboard? :bahgawd:
Two birds with one stone, I say!

The captive has a bounty on its head: alive only!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rebel Captive: When one of your squad mates feels kinda sorta bad about blowing up your own dude

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

enigmahfc posted:

At a store kit tournament last Saturday, there was a kid there who was around 10 (I guess, no real clue) who was flying Chiraneau/Whisper list. My friend fought him with his 5 A Wing crack shot list, and destroyed the kid in like 3 rounds. I looked over and the kid was crying.

I'm so glad I didn't have to fly against the kid. I may be a terrible person, but even I have no idea how I would have handled making a kid cry about a game of X-Wing...

All I see here is bad parenting. You and your friend arent the adults that are terrible in this situation. You can teach a young kid how to lose graciously and you can teach a young kid how to concede if they delay a game, but not if you treat a hobby like free day care.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My kid loves X-Wing and is pretty good at it, but it's only recently that I felt it's okay for him to go to tournaments. He hasn't asked me yet, but if he does, I'd let him.

A year ago he was a bad sport about losing. Today, he can win or lose without acting up.

Edit: He's twelve and a half.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 11, 2016

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Went to a tournament today, dropped a Thermal Detonator, hit 5 A-Wings, feels good man.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

jubelio posted:

All I see here is bad parenting. You and your friend arent the adults that are terrible in this situation. You can teach a young kid how to lose graciously and you can teach a young kid how to concede if they delay a game, but not if you treat a hobby like free day care.

My friend can be a bit...intense with this game sometimes, but I don't even think that was the deal in this case. The kid seemed like he knew what he was doing, and my friend pointedly asked the kid at least once, "are you sure you don't want to cloak your Phantom this?".

But hey, at least that kid didn't drop in a bitchy huff after one match because he was beat and his opponent was 'just playing meta lists!".

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/11/alliance-overhaul/

Another garbage generic astro for Rebels

Disappointing Vector isn't rebel only, and should've been 1 pt

Tail gunner is neat, should've been 1 pt

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah but then you get Kath Scarlet. Holy moly. I knew that it was going to be a boost to the Firespray, but that is some boost!

EDIT: Or, for that matter, a ghost with phantom attached.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 11, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Shara Bey with Weapons Engineer sounds like a good time.

Tekopo posted:

Yeah but then you get Kath Scarlet. Holy moly. I knew that it was going to be a boost to the Firespray, but that is some boost!

EDIT: Or, for that matter, a ghost with phantom attached.

Kath gets a rear facing Wedge ability for 2 points :eyepop:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Tail Gunner on Ghost/Phantom might be neat.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Did they really not show us what the dial looks like? Huh.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tail Gunner is a beast, but arguably not usable for the Ghost because the ghost doesn't have an auxiliary arc, it has a special arc.

And Scum Firesprays still probably do better with Dengar.

alg posted:

Another garbage generic astro for Rebels

Disagree - this enables Comm Relay for T70s. Which enables Juke for T70s. So that's a thing...

Only the dial and the action torp left to spoil.

Feels like a really early preview, too. Wonder if this means the release might be reasonably quick.

(Also, I note that everyone's more or less ignoring the pilots. They're really nothing special)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I'm not super enthused about either low PS pilot. I just really want to see the dial, so I know if my PtL/BB-8/Kyle Katarn/Engine Upgrade build will be viable.

On further look, they don't have EPTs, so they're even less useful than I thought.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Tail Gunner is a beast, but arguably not usable for the Ghost because the ghost doesn't have an auxiliary arc, it has a special arc.

And Scum Firesprays still probably do better with Dengar.

Disagree - this enables Comm Relay for T70s. Which enables Juke for T70s. So that's a thing...

Only the dial and the action torp left to spoil.

Feels like a really early preview, too. Wonder if this means the release might be reasonably quick.

(Also, I note that everyone's more or less ignoring the pilots. They're really nothing special)

Poe has much better things to spend points on. Loading up any other T-70 with 7 points of upgrades is... questionable

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, it's sort of an action economy upgrade, but it's not great. It's all kinds of weird synergy. Like, I could see it being useful to get evades on a high PS ship, but on a low PS ship you'd need to bring comm relay for 3 more points to get a benefit against most stuff.

I guess you could go crazy and do juke/comm relay/R3 on a Red Squad Vet, which would be pretty good, but is also 7 points.

R3 on someone like Poe sounds better, you can skip the relay, and if you happen to roll double eyes on the attack you swap one to an evade? Or if you boosted and didn't focus? I dunno I still think I'd rather have an R2 or a regen Astro in those cases.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

alg posted:

Poe has much better things to spend points on. Loading up any other T-70 with 7 points of upgrades is... questionable

Yeah. Red Squadron Veteran with R3, Juke and Comm Relay is 33 points. It's a cool idea that I want to try, but I think that Rebels probably also have better ways to spend 33 points.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I'm not super enthused about either low PS pilot. I just really want to see the dial, so I know if my PtL/BB-8/Kyle Katarn/Engine Upgrade build will be viable.

On further look, they don't have EPTs, so they're even less useful than I thought.

I'm betting it will be B-wing level of bad. They've kind of established that it's a clunky outdated platform and I bet they will give it a clunky dial, too.

I hope not, because I'd love to pair this with Dash.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

I'm betting it will be B-wing level of bad. They've kind of established that it's a clunky outdated platform and I bet they will give it a clunky dial, too.

I hope not, because I'd love to pair this with Dash.

Even if it is, the original preview said it has six green maneuvers, so this might still be a viable list.

Some Numbers posted:

Dash Rendar — YT-2400 36
Push the Limit 3
Heavy Laser Cannon 7
Kanan Jarrus 3
Engine Upgrade 4
Outrider 5
Ship Total: 58

Norra Wexley — ARC-170 29
Push the Limit 3
Kyle Katarn 3
BB-8 2
Engine Upgrade 4
Alliance Overhaul 0
Ship Total: 41

Total: 99

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Basically, R3 wants you to gamble on rolling an eye token in your attack, and then also not want to turn it into a hit. The only time I can see this being the "right" choice is when you roll completely horribly and get like blank-blank-eye out something. 2 points for that is okayish, but I'd rather take something that:

1) is more generally useful
2) I can rely on

R3 could easily never trigger at a useful time in a match, and it's bad on anything low PS, to the point of being literally worthless on any low PS ship that's not the T-70, thanks to the lack of comm relay. Could have been neat for an elite TLT pilot, but whoops, primary attack only!

High PS ships have much better options in the unique astromechs. Honestly, what ship is this even for?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Garbage Astromech for xwings, would actually be pretty amazing on a 4x TLT Y Wing list if it were 1 point. EDIT: primary only lol goddamnit ffg

Would also be pretty excellent on a theoretical ship with systems, to be used with accuracy corrector & Juke. (xwing fix systems slot please please).

So the ordnance hard counter is slicer tools?

Struggling to think of a small ship that wants a barrel roll for 2 points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, on reflection that's wildly overspending. If it had been one point, maybe, but it's not amazing.

It's probably worth taking, but not amazing. I'd probably take it with IA.

What about Vector Thrusters? What small ships will actually use it?

A wings? Nah, ATs
K wings? Nah, no point, can't do bombing shenanigans with it. And wants Guidance Chips or LRS anyway.
x-wings and t-70s? competes with IA and ATs, and EU for the high level t65s. Nah.
HWK: maybe I guess?
Y-wing: Maybe I guess?
z: lol
G1A: can already get it for one point as a unique thing, and who's gonna run more than one G1A? Nah
K-Fighter: maaaaybe, certainly more likely than t65s, but same argument about EU probably being better
Punisher: lol no Guidance Chips or LRS.
ARC: same arguments about boost being better

So... what WILL take it?

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 11, 2016

• Locked thread