Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Ah good, an excuse to write this up properly, which I've been meaning to do for a while.

That is a really good explanation, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Empress Theonora posted:

Ohh, so that's why what I thought were "regimental" numbers made no sense and didn't seem to ever point to e.g. Wikipedia articles on the, say, the 7th Royal Sussex or whatever. I'm so used to American regimental numbers (e.g., in the Civil War, 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, which is a separate Regiment from the 53rd Massachusetts and the 55th etc.) it never occurred to me that the Nth Whatevershires could mean anything other than regiment number N from Whatevershire.

Bear in mind Whatevershire is a county not a state - we're a smaller country. 55 regiments from one county would basically be every man, woman and child.

Edit: for US readers, the Territorials are roughly equivalent to the National Guard.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 10, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

feedmegin posted:

Bear in mind Whatevershire is a county not a state - we're a smaller country. 55 regiments from one county would basically be every man, woman and child.

Edit: for US readers, the Territorials are roughly equivalent to the National Guard.

Which period of the National Guard though? It's gone from a home defense thing to the military being structured so that you can't wage effective war overseas without calling it up.

Also if someone could summarize the NG's evolution I can't really remember it properly.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

like in the time we study, in which a regiment is identified by the last name of the guy who runs it at the time, except the saxon regiment Ungar's Dragoons, which is known by their colonel's nickname.

for reasons.

edit: also there's two guys named Dietrich von Starschedel and they each led a Free Company at some point in the 20s, and guess how many years it took me to figure this out

And the Swedes have at least three different ways to put together regiments for reasons really apparent for the day and age but it seems convoluted as hell for the modern day. Especially since the language used back then doesn't easily translate to English either.

edit: The three ways that I remember off the top of my head are the Indelningsverket establised in 1634 (recruitment from rotes, i.e. every ten farmsteads or so send a soldier), the usual volunteer recruiting done by the state and just letting the mercenary colonels do their thing as was common on the continent. And then you have weirdo units like the Adelsfanan, which was an all-noble cavalry regiment.

Kemper Boyd fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 10, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

xthetenth posted:

Which period of the National Guard though? It's gone from a home defense thing to the military being structured so that you can't wage effective war overseas without calling it up.

Yep, same here!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Same in the UK now. The Army are having terrible trouble recruiting reservists, I think the last few wars have told most of the country that it's not a train on the weekends, maybe get called up to defend the country thing, but a train on the weekends, potentially go fight ISIS next year thing.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

And the Swedes have at least three different ways to put together regiments for reasons really apparent for the day and age but it seems convoluted as hell for the modern day. Especially since the language used back then doesn't easily translate to English either.

edit: The three ways that I remember off the top of my head are the Indelningsverket establised in 1634 (recruitment from rotes, i.e. every ten farmsteads or so send a soldier), the usual volunteer recruiting done by the state and just letting the mercenary colonels do their thing as was common on the continent. And then you have weirdo units like the Adelsfanan, which was an all-noble cavalry regiment.
also my dudes don't say "second" so you have The Elector's First Life Company and The Other Life Company, which is accurate but also kind of funny. counting goes "First, Other, Third, Fourth..."

and artillery organizes itself, of course

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

also my dudes don't say "second" so you have The Elector's First Life Company and The Other Life Company, which is accurate but also kind of funny. counting goes "First, Other, Third, Fourth..."

And then you get "well in this period there are no standing regiments. Except for the life guards, though they spend most of their time pissing off the guilds in Stockholm since they're allowed to work as tradesmen and their wives do the same. And then there's these dudes in loving Norrland or whatever who are sort of a standing regiment but I have no idea why."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

And then you get "well in this period there are no standing regiments. Except for the life guards, though they spend most of their time pissing off the guilds in Stockholm since they're allowed to work as tradesmen and their wives do the same. And then there's these dudes in loving Norrland or whatever who are sort of a standing regiment but I have no idea why."
i just discovered that most of the Saxon regiments established in the 30s were still around in 51 and 52, which is awfully standing-regiment-like.

edit: also there's Defensionsfaendlein and Ritter-dienst (which is where all the nobles in a certain area have to chip in to cover the cost of raising some cav) but I'm not going to be studying them and don't care.

edit 2: also soldiers will piss off the guilds regardless since they and their female partners will act as tradespeople whether or not they're allowed to, this happens in Saxony as well

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 10, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

ffecond?

No seriously, why no 'second", is it a religious thing?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

ffecond?

No seriously, why no 'second", is it a religious thing?
no idea. they say "two," "zwei," but their word for "second" is "der andere." "the other one"

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I think that's just a Germanic language thing in general?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
It's actually the same in Finnish today (and most likely back then), the word for "Second", "toinen"means also "(the) other".

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Speaking of saxons:
http://www.lennartviebahn.com/arms_armour/antiques/rapier_anton_schuch.html
This blade is from the reign of Christian II, so it's too early to have been carried by anyone I've encountered in a murder trial. Christian II is the fatty who was jousting in the heat, gulped some beer to cool down, and dropped down dead of a heart attack at the age of 28.

Saxon antiquities and archives are either blown up/burned down or absolutely perfect and there's tons of them. no middle ground

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GAL posted:

like in the time we study, in which a regiment is identified by the last name of the guy who runs it at the time, except the saxon regiment Ungar's Dragoons, which is known by their colonel's nickname.

for reasons.

edit: also there's two guys named Dietrich von Starschedel and they each led a Free Company at some point in the 20s, and guess how many years it took me to figure this out

I am now going to assume that the turning point was one Dietrich suing the other for trademark infringement.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Antti posted:

I think that's just a Germanic language thing in general?

yeah, pretty much

many other germanic languages have preserved "and(e)re" as the default way of saying "second", the modern German way of saying it is more or less equivalent to English 'two-ian' and probably became dominant at some point after HEY GAL's subjects were dead

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

Speaking of saxons:
http://www.lennartviebahn.com/arms_armour/antiques/rapier_anton_schuch.html
This blade is from the reign of Christian II, so it's too early to have been carried by anyone I've encountered in a murder trial. Christian II is the fatty who was jousting in the heat, gulped some beer to cool down, and dropped down dead of a heart attack at the age of 28.

Saxon antiquities and archives are either blown up/burned down or absolutely perfect and there's tons of them. no middle ground

Heat or no, a heart attack at 28 sounds like he would have been taken by the diabetes by 35 anyway, goddamn.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kemper Boyd posted:

I got a bunch of rowan trees growing in the yard of my new house and I started wondering if people used that for pikes. I should make a pike.
If it doesn't work out, rowan sounds like a good material for single sticks. I'd like to buy a pair, but it turns out you can't just walk into a hardware store and expect to find a piece of nice ash.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trin Tragula posted:

Ah good, an excuse to write this up properly, which I've been meaning to do for a while.

:words:

Does that make some kind of sense?
There I was thinking that it was something like the WWII system where the 4/7th RTR was a combined battalion merging two ruined ones.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014
Speaking of Saxons, is Ur-Krostitzer super popular with the re-enactment crowd? I always giggle to myself a little when I see one of their "true heroes" billboards.
Ur-Krostitzer is a Gustav II. Adolf themed beer for you foreign types.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

Heat or no, a heart attack at 28 sounds like he would have been taken by the diabetes by 35 anyway, goddamn.
here he is.

every wettin i can think of had the same kind of lifestyle, male and female, old and young. some died because of it and some lived goddamn forever :patriot:

most famous Wettin is Augustus the Strong, who was immensely powerful physically (a fav party trick of his was bending iron horseshoes in one hand) but was given the name because of his ability to drink and party. he had over 300 bastards and used large parts of Fortress Koenigstein for a wine cellar.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 11, 2016

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Some Wettin also forced his bishop to admit that there's nothing in the Bible that says that a dude cannot have two wives.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

Speaking of Saxons, is Ur-Krostitzer super popular with the re-enactment crowd? I always giggle to myself a little when I see one of their "true heroes" billboards.
Ur-Krostitzer is a Gustav II. Adolf themed beer for you foreign types.
the popular beer is whatever's available in the place where you are that weekend, and because germany is so regional this leads to things like a dude from the deepest Erzgebirge sipping a beer in Stralsund and telling you how "everything tastes different here..."

which is true, different water means different beer, but still

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

Some Wettin also forced his bishop to admit that there's nothing in the Bible that says that a dude cannot have two wives.
i think they're my favorite royal family. no incest, no creepy scandals, no history of mental troubles, just a bunch of fat dudes and chicks who drink and fight and screw

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 11, 2016

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

i think they're my favorite royal family. no incest, no creepy scandals, no history of mental troubles, just a bunch of fat dudes and chicks who drink lots of beer and get into religious wars

I'm preferential to the Vasas because the sons of Gustav Vasa are like one of those Benny Hill montages, except with stabbings, civil war and decapitations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

I'm preferential to the Vasas because the sons of Gustav Vasa are like one of those Benny Hill montages, except with stabbings, civil war and decapitations.
*runs into woods*

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

HEY GAL posted:

i think they're my favorite royal family. no incest, no creepy scandals, no history of mental troubles, just a bunch of fat dudes and chicks who drink and fight and screw

za króla Sasa jedz, pij i popuszczaj pasa

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kemper Boyd posted:

He ain't wrong

e: lol Martin Luther himself did that to another nobleman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_I,_Landgrave_of_Hesse#Bigamous_marriage

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 11, 2016

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Immanentized posted:

Now, I only have a BA in Viking History, but one thing has really stuck with me as I've been reading more primary source stuff, and it's that the Viking cultures were extremely pragmatic and most of their cultural output was based on how to live in their society and basically not be a gently caress up. This extends to their belief system too- keep in mind is that Scandinavian social organization was fairly egalitarian across it's breadth but it was also built with extremely clear social divisions and class lines. Thing about the various afterlives is that each had a purpose in speaking to the social purpose of those who could look forward to them. It worked kind of similar to the Chivalric/Bushido/whatever codes, but wasn't really formallly laid out or enforced in any way.

Valhalla is basically Noble Heaven, where you get to go if you're a man of high-status or a man who acts as a retainer for the same. If you're one of these guys, your social role is to protect and project the power and wellbeing of your group. There are secondary sources of some interesting rule-lawyering that went on for these guys who would find themselves dying in their beds- they'd have a ritualized system where the dying man receivng some kind of mutiliation on his front, so that when his time came, he could point to it and say "I died in the appropriate fashion" or something like it.

If you're looking to get in here you're gonna have to be a competent fighter who is prepared to balance aggressiveness with your awareness of well being and abiliities of the other members of your raiding/war party. You're also going to have to be pretty level headed as your role makes you an arbitrator in peace times and a pillar of your community. Death in battle wasn't necessarily "sought out", but if the opportunity came up and you were in a position where your comrades could say you
a) gave a good account
b) weren't an rear end in a top hat and ran out ahead
c) died in a meaningful fashion

You'd be assured that your community and leaders would remember you well, and that your survivors would be taken care of by one of your companions. There might've been an element of predestination for those who went to Valhalla proper and became the retainers who feasted there. Everyone else who died in a good way ended up at the badass version of a kiddie table.

Hel is Slacker Heaven, if you end up in Hel you basically didn't make a whole lot of your life and were likely a slave, liar, youtube personality, grifter, or died of some illness that posed a threat to your family and larger social group. If you end up in Hel, you hosed up and disrupted or weakened the social cohesion of your community. Note: if you were a particularly clever and charismatic grifter, you'd not necessarily end up here. Vikings loved their dashing rogues.

Everyone else went to Freya's Farm for Dead Scandinavians. I'm drawing a major blank on the proper name, but it was essentially a reskin of Elysium, probably brought North by interactions with the Germanic/Gallic tribes. It was pretty nice here. You weren't drinking/feasting/fighting with your bros and macking on Valkyries, but you also weren't expected to do much other than enjoy a pleasant place. Think Minnesota in mid-spring.

You got here by basically being as useful and honest as you could, and by being a person whose neighbors and associates said "yeah they weren't that bad" after you croaked.

A lot of the poo poo you see these days is highly influenced by the Viking revivals that happened in the 1880s, 1930s, and 1990s, and is influenced by a mix of fantastical thinking and a good dosage of neo-folk/fascist thnking of dying for a cause.

tl;dr Vikings were stoics, their belief systems were a code of conduct made from a syncretic association of Germanic and Celtic faith systems Afterlives informed your position in society. The Poetic Eddas are the best collection of Myths- Egil Skallagrimmson also wrote a bunch on the matter of the belief system. He was also kind of nuts.

Further reading
Poetic Eddas (I like the penguin edition)
Sagas of the Icelanders
Egil's Saga
Vinland Sagas (Grænlendinga Saga and Eiríks Saga Rauða- I really like Eirik's Saga)

Couple of pages ago but thanks for this great post. And yes the best are the Penguin editions, but the old ones translated by Magnus Magnusson and Herman Palsson. Sadly I think those are out of print and only the newer translations are around. Laxdaela saga is also good value for money. Unn the Deep Minded owns.

It is always worth remembering when reading the Sagas that this is basically the landscape they lived in and remember: this is a nice, rich part of Iceland:

gently caress it, read all the sagas. Njal's and Grettir's are good too, Grettir for how hosed off everyone can get with you if you decide to be a disruptive rear end in a top hat but how strong friendship and family ties can be even after you've been outlawed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

Part 4 of the Italian Inventory is up! Today's update has a focus on the various gas bombs the Italians used, with an added bomb container and marker thrown in.

What makes the 100kg special bomb container earn its name? What kind of gases did the Italians employ? What marking was stenciled on Italian gas bombs? What kind of filling did the vento marker use? All that and more at the blog!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Today I learned about Private McCafferty whilst doing my archive work.

Don't loving step on a soldier, even a British soldier for a stupid and minor thing young officers. Even in the 19th century. Jesus.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

SeanBeansShako posted:

Today I learned about Private McCafferty whilst doing my archive work.

Don't loving step on a soldier, even a British soldier for a stupid and minor thing young officers. Even in the 19th century. Jesus.

Link to the story?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

VanSandman posted:

Link to the story?

Sadly I need to give Wikipedia, but it does source the paper article I read about this afternoon.

Long story short, It is 1861 and while the seeds of tension are slowly being sowed in two different continents in the mainland UK like usual nothing is happening, especially outside the officers mess at the edge of the Fulwood Depot belonging to the 32nd DCLI. So much so, some kids are playing a game whilst the nearby sentry on duty Private McCafferty stands on duty idly ignoring them.

Sadly however, inside the officers mess during a game of poker some officer brought up the incident where playing children broke a window and cheesed it before they could get names so they'd have to pay to fix the drat thing themselves so they wouldn't have any spare money to gamble. They do what officers do at the time and mediate the task to somebody at the bottom of the totem poll. That somebody unfortunately for himself and for private McCafferty was Captain Hanham who sadly was the stereotypical representation of the stiff necked by the books slightly sadistic Victorian officer stereotype WHO WANTS RESULTS drat YOU.

So our doomed captain marches outside to speak with the sentry on duty. He asks the man to get the children to leave and get their names. Now, despite the stupidty of all this private McCafferty follows orders but the children like always scarper having a laugh unknowingly being the spark to the coming explosive mess to come. He catches one and manages to get a name from him but when reporting to the captain this was not good enough. The captain seriously unimpressed at the privates child catching skills not at all being top tier stuff sentences him to 14 days of confinement in the barracks. Apparently the sentencing itself was swift and the poor man took it in silent stoic pride despite the stupdiity of the charges. However only a few hours after being sentenced things take a turn for the horrific.

Captain Hanham was outside in the depot grounds walking with a regimental Colonel in front him chatting or doing duties (paper article never said) marching stiffly across the barracks square when a shot from an Enfield musket was fired from 65 yards away from the doorway of one of the barracks building. The round itself impacted and went through the lungs of the very unfortunate colonel and then struck and burrowed through the unlucky captain stopping as it slammed into his spine. A moment later, a shocked private on duty in the barrack building where the shot was fired was calmly handed a warm musket by private McCaffery. When being asked what he had done, the private replied "That it didn't matter.". Both officers died the next day, the colonel first and then the Captain. Sadly, It seemed the colonel was a more learned and down to earth man much respected and liked by the private and officer alike and unlike the intended victim had nothing to do with this bloody incident. During the trial the pushed private was apparently disturbingly casual and relaxed about the affair. He was hanged on the 11th of January 1862 in front of Kirkdale Jail in Liverpool. It is said the people watching the execution had their sympathies with the man.

So yeah, a classic 19th century case of out of the blue fragging. Be nice and just pay for the damages.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

MrYenko posted:

RORSAT: Doing it's part to warm up the Canadian frontier.

RORSAT: Glow Canada

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dumb question: what's good software for constructing graphs? I got my hands on some hand numbers re Coastal command, and I feel a need to visualize them.

I'm also reading a book on the battle of the Atlantic. (In Great Waters: the epic story of the Battle of the Atlantic, by Spencer Dunmore. The author is Canadian, which is nice, and he goes in for individual stories as well as the strategic sweep of things. Things I've learned:

1. Donitz was pretty sharp. He (and by extension, the U-boat force) were really on top of things from the start of World War 2. Had he more resources (or even a proper naval air wing under Kriegsmarine command) he could have made things so much more nasty for the allies. (This doesn't count as any sort of insight - Donitz himself is writing these exact things in his diary - but I guess I didn't appreciate how good a officer/commander Donitz was until now.) When he heard from his submarine captains in the early part of the war about torpedo malfunctions, he said technical problems were to be expected, but not bureaucratic incompetence. When it was revealed that nearly all the problems had been documented in detail (and ignored by the rear admiral in charge of such things) it wasn't long before that particular Admiral was spending six months in prison.

2. The first Sea Lord during the catasterfuck of the early battle of the Atlantic, Dudley Pound, was suffering from a brain tumor and painful hip degeneration which badly disrupted his sleep. They probably should have replaced that guy.

3. The early period Allied Efforts were completely desperate. The Corvettes were almost as uncomfortable to their crews as U boats were, (think of that.) They were often commanded by people who'd been in the navy, but were crewed by sailors who'd been in the merchant marine until one day they were transferred to the navy. They often got zero training in this new role, so it's very much a naval version of the Volkstum or the home guard armed with broomsticks. The Corvette crash program would be the most effective bit in a flurry of WW1 destroyers that had wooden guns and sometimes even wooden depth charges, as munitions were sometimes very short.

4. Coastal Command was a shambles, save for one point. Coastal Command was described by senior officers in the RAF at the time as the "cinderella service", IE the one that was poor as poo poo. There's a lot of reasons for this, but the result is that Coastal command 1) basically had no suitable aircraft 2) no munitions, especially for hunting submarines, and 3) tiny numbers. They also had several procurements for new aircraft go really bad. Essentially, as ad-hoc and last minute German efforts were in this area, the British had less disadvantages and a much longer timescale to prepare, and were even less ready.

5. I can see the German surface raider campaign a bit more sympathetically. When surface raiders made their serious effort in the war's early part to sink convoys, I think the Germans were seeing the RN in total disarray and seemingly unable to fight back against their small-ish submarine fleet. Given those conditions, I can understand why Cruisers and even the Bismark's ill-fated sortie into the Atlantic were seen as a good idea.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
So, I went to a shooting festival that could be accurately described as "military" "history."

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782773

The festival took in around 130 village shooting guilds (kind of like a military or police force that only answered to the village itself) from the region of Limburg. A lot of them claim to have been founded in the 1400 and 1500's, but potentially went though some period as an entirely different organization -- like some of the tradesman's guilds in the City of London that have been charities for several hundred years.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
sorry, i zoned out as soon as you said "smokeless powder" :o:

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Not military history, but can't be arsed to dig up the Early Modern thread and dunno if it hasn't fallen into archives.

I was reading a book about witch hunts earlier today and there was an interesting bit about France. France had something of a reverse witch hunt going on during the 17th century, especially during the reign of Louis XIV. That is, the crown spent a lot of effort on tracking down witch hunters and sentencing them either to death or the galleys, probably because they were causing panic and undermining the crown's authority. France in general had a really low number of people executed for witchcraft, something like 300 people during a 100+ years period and no mass trials at all.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
witch hunters also do magic, at least they did in england. they're worthwhile as long as they succeed but they're still creepy outsiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So the Tour de Pologne starts in my town tomorrow, and the authorities put up a mural to make the town all nice and pretty for it!

They also did this:

• Locked thread