Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bockscar
Jun 17, 2007

When I try to do a gentle up-swipe to throw, about half the time the drat pokeball starts sparkling and veers off to the right. I'm not trying to do curveballs, it's kinda fruatrating.

Our local park is just drowning in Abras. I feel like we have Abras instead of Zubats or something, as I've only seen a couple of bats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
blue pokestops seem to say "try again later" when the server is really slow/laggy and the picture doesn't load properly, OR when your bag is too full to accept all the items it wants to give you. If you're at 198/200 and it wants to give you 3 pokeballs, you're hosed.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Bockscar posted:

Our local park is just drowning in Abras. I feel like we have Abras instead of Zubats or something, as I've only seen a couple of bats.

Yesterday I got absolutely fuckloads of Doduos in Brooklyn, and today in Manhattan I'm getting fuckloads of Zubats. It's kinda neat.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I think the game knows there's a fountain in front of my office because I occasionally get a Staryu popping out of it. :3:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the game would really be so much more fun with an in-game chat system. something that would let you talk to same-team members within a certain radius, say 2-5km or so. also, it really needs trade functionality.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

showbiz_liz posted:

Yesterday I got absolutely fuckloads of Doduos in Brooklyn, and today in Manhattan I'm getting fuckloads of Zubats. It's kinda neat.

All ratatas here by Penn Station. Seems appropriate.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

indigi posted:

the game would really be so much more fun with an in-game chat system. something that would let you talk to same-team members within a certain radius, say 2-5km or so. also, it really needs trade functionality.

Nintendo likely put restrictions on open communication features because they knew kids would be playing this game.

Ingress has that exact chat feature (open and team-only) but they're not answering to The Pokemon Company on that one.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

indigi posted:

I kinda think it would be too dangerous to allow this for everyone on your team. Your actual friends or Facebook friends, sure, but I don't WANT 1/3 of all the creepy randos nearby to be able to message me.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I went to a restaurant yesterday and found out it was a gym and also closed. The place we ended up going to was also a gym. I just really want to find some fun stops.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Does this game use the same hotspot/POI marks as Ingress? Because if so, my city was completely abandoned for spots in that and I cant imagine it making this one any fun at all. :(

Yep, it does!

It's not a one for one copy; something like a third of the ingress portals aren't in pokemon.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Just dropped a lure at BJs near my house. Please give me something besides loving rats, Ekans, and paras for the love of god.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I feel like what they did was remove the least popular (and most dangerous/elusive) spots, then made the most popular spots gyms, and made everything else a Pokespot.

Oh poo poo, I just learned that the pub where my wife and I do Trivia Tuesdays is a gym. There is going to be a battle royale there tomorrow night, I just know it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

How much exp is possible from gym battles?

Looks like it gives you 150 per level that you reduce it. Is there a bigger boost for knocking it out entirely? Do you get exp for being the first to capture it after it's neutralized? Do you get exp for adding a pokemon to an already-friendly gym?

ravis
Jun 21, 2002
So does anyone have a guide for what the effects of Weight and Height are?
Is it worth using power up on low cp pokemons if they are XL/XL or something?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Yep, it does!

It's not a one for one copy; something like a third of the ingress portals aren't in pokemon.

Losing a third of the already sparse points ? Ouch. What has the experience been like for those of you playing in small cities/suburbs?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

ravis posted:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Will they ever put a real Pokemon-style fighting system in this?

Yeah was gonna ask the same thing. I know it's a free mobile game and they don't want to give away the whole package but I'd be a lot more into it if there was any depth at all to the fights.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ravis posted:

While being stuck in one player level, it seemed like pokemon I caught of the same species with a higher weight had a higher cap for max CP. Could not test height yet.

I have also noticed same CP mons having different HP, maybe related to those. Not sure.

edit: Huh... those screens just completely stop my tests then. So either my game was just being weird or I got some flawed Eevees.

Hrist fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 11, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Trujillo posted:

Yeah was gonna ask the same thing. I know it's a free mobile game and they don't want to give away the whole package but I'd be a lot more into it if there was any depth at all to the fights.

The depth comes from the GPS gameplay.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Losing a third of the already sparse points ? Ouch. What has the experience been like for those of you playing in small cities/suburbs?

There's a smattering of points here and there. They're mostly spread out but it's not like the area is completely devoid of spots. There is also a memorial park nearby that has around 15 points in close proximity. If I walk to work, I hit 5 points and a gym on my way.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It probably won't amount to much, but I just spotted this, if you're using a google account for this, you might want to make sure it's a silly games one because apparently they get full access to the whole thing. Might just be on iOS though?
http://adamreeve.tumblr.com/post/147120922009/pokemon-go-is-a-huge-security-risk

I mean, they aren't gonna be evil and hijack everyone's account and take over the world, but just doesn't seem worth the risk seeing as things are always getting hacked and leaked and blown up and lost and so on. I started a new account anyway, hadn't really got anywhere.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Furnaceface posted:

It's fine, I can usually find plenty of Pidgeys and Rattatas at my apartment but there's only two stops less than a mile from me and no gyms anywhere. Even less than that at work. Jealous of the people who can play at their desk, I imagine it won't be long before there's a big divide between the people who can play at work and those who have to go for walks at night.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

This game can get me to park a car and run around like an idiot sometimes. Just today, I did such and got a Rhydon, Rhyhorn, Diglett, and a Kabuto.

I also got a 2km egg.

Two things: Where's that rare chart thingy, and how do I understand this egg chart in the OP.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Niantic is owned by Google :confused:

Technically Google already owns all those rights as the provider of your google account. Giving it back to them through Niantic doesn't make a bit of difference.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ugh I just tried to get a spot at my team's gym and after I ground it down for awhile, some jerk sticks a lovely Doduo in the new spot.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Niantic is owned by Google :confused:

Technically Google already owns all those rights as the provider of your google account. Giving it back to them through Niantic doesn't make a bit of difference.

Not true and also you only have to worry about your account being compromised if the dev is lovely at coding, so no problems there either.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Rando shithead #eleventybillions impressions:

The AR of the game blended with the pretty well done animation and biodiversity of the poke's around is great. The egg/walking thing is a great way to get people out and walking. Yeah, there's ton's of bugs - they'll get worked out.

But that said, a couple things I've already seen that gotta get unfucked -

- Suburban/Urban pokestop/spawn/gym density. Sure, if you live in manhattan, you can walk down to McDonalds, pass 8 pokestops and 3 gyms along the way, then hit them again on your way home. For the rest of us, where your nearest pokestop is a 15 minute drive away, and the next one 15 minutes from that, that poo poo doesn't work. Since the only thing you can do right now without a gym is catch pokemon, the game shouldn't be gated behind camping a pokestop to get balls. There ought to be a token system, where you get something like one token an hour, up to some cap , lets say 10(to preserve microtransactions). When you reach a pokestop, you get your first spin free, then can spin again once per token. But other than that, spots still work as normal. That way, us hicks can still have enough pokeballs to walk around our neighborhoods and catch poo poo, without having to sit in the parking lot of the church two towns over for 2 hours to be able to play (Though you could still do that!). Urban dwellers can still bounce from spot to spot every 5 minutes, and get 500 balls while getting a McDouble with cheese.

- Tiered Gyms. For urbs/suburbs alike, gyms seem to be dominated by spergs already.with 4 figure CP monsters, while the rest of us work-havers have eke out our shittly little C-team of charizard food. There needs to be tiered slots for Gyms - say slots for level 1-5 monsters, 6-10, etc. Or gently caress, even do it by CP. 0-100, 100-250, 250-500, 500-1000, and 1000+ This way, low level monsters can also get competed, and entry level players aren't forced to feed their pokes to some whales powerlevelled mons. Maybe it will also require gym owners to have a pokes. Then cap how many slots someone can occupy, so again, there isn't a single dude with 10 min-maxxed pokes across all tiers eating people

- Friend list/Friend PVP. This needs no explanation, and makes no loving sense how they didn't have this day 1.

- PvE vs. wild mans. Come the gently caress on. This was a staple of pokemon since day one. Yeah, it's nice to relentlessly imprison every critter along the way. But it would be nice to also train up your mons against wild pokes too.

- Pokestop radii. I get they want you to actually go to the stop, which is cool. But come on - at least give a community feature for reporting an improper visit radius. I've watched half a dozen people come up to a chain link fence today, trying to get to an ill placed stop. And one person even scale it. A 50% wider radius won't hurt anyone, and may stop people from doing dumb poo poo to get their pokeballs.

Theres a poo poo ton of nice-to-have features that could be added too - even stuff that could bring in more money.

For instance -

Pay to open your own temporary pokestop, like if you were doing a house party. Lasts a couple hours, can take lures.
Community buying/selling - a la Steam trading cards. People catch digital monsters, sell them to other people, Pokemon company take a cut of the sale.
Customization - pay coins for a temporary re-skin/shirt/funny hat
"Rare" variants, like someone mentioned earlier.
Marketplace for critter candies. Who wants to catch a billion magikarps, when you could just pay money for your gyrados?

This poo poo prints money, and yet, it seems like they aren't even trying.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I was looking around for a chart which shows the evolution relationships between the first 151 pokemon only, and am having a surprisingly hard time. The information obviously is available but I couldn't find it in handy chart form. I never really played any of the games before so I don't know which things have two evolutions, or just one, or zero.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Actual kids are probably wondering WTF is with this game only having the most basic, boring Pokemon in the world. Purple snake? Purple goo? Big angry purple goo? This poo poo sucks, gimme a Sneasel!!!

Also,

showbiz_liz posted:

I was looking around for a chart which shows the evolution relationships between the first 151 pokemon only, and am having a surprisingly hard time. The information obviously is available but I couldn't find it in handy chart form. I never really played any of the games before so I don't know which things have two evolutions, or just one, or zero.

Just watch the PokeRap a few times and you'll know 'em all!

Or serious answer, use this
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_Kanto_Pok%C3%A9dex_number

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

showbiz_liz posted:

You're looking for a Kanto (Red/Blue/Yellow region) Pokedex

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_Kanto_Pok%C3%A9dex_number

If they are at all alike visually (or make sense) and are adjacent, there's a relationship

Also

Dalaram posted:

Marketplace for critter candies. Who wants to catch a billion magikarps, when you could just pay money for your gyrados?

I would absolutely pay real money for candy. I don't have time to catch a gently caress ton to get high CP 'mons but I would like to be able to do the only battling this game has.

It's completely stupid that in a game like this where the only thing to do aside from wandering around is battling at gyms the only people able to fight in the gyms are the master spergers who are in the mid-teens level already

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Actual kids are probably wondering WTF is with this game only having the most basic, boring Pokemon in the world. Purple snake? Purple goo? Big angry purple goo? This poo poo sucks, gimme a Sneasel!!!

Yeah it'd be nice if they didn't choose one of the worst gens for this game

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

There's a Gengar 3 steps away but my battery is on 10% and wouldn't last 5 minutes :(

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

They went with the original because that's what 30yos grew up on

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

McDragon posted:

It probably won't amount to much, but I just spotted this, if you're using a google account for this, you might want to make sure it's a silly games one because apparently they get full access to the whole thing. Might just be on iOS though?
http://adamreeve.tumblr.com/post/147120922009/pokemon-go-is-a-huge-security-risk

I mean, they aren't gonna be evil and hijack everyone's account and take over the world, but just doesn't seem worth the risk seeing as things are always getting hacked and leaked and blown up and lost and so on. I started a new account anyway, hadn't really got anywhere.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Dalaram posted:

Rando shithead #eleventybillions impressions:

The AR of the game blended with the pretty well done animation and biodiversity of the poke's around is great. The egg/walking thing is a great way to get people out and walking. Yeah, there's ton's of bugs - they'll get worked out.

But that said, a couple things I've already seen that gotta get unfucked -

- Suburban/Urban pokestop/spawn/gym density. Sure, if you live in manhattan, you can walk down to McDonalds, pass 8 pokestops and 3 gyms along the way, then hit them again on your way home. For the rest of us, where your nearest pokestop is a 15 minute drive away, and the next one 15 minutes from that, that poo poo doesn't work. Since the only thing you can do right now without a gym is catch pokemon, the game shouldn't be gated behind camping a pokestop to get balls. There ought to be a token system, where you get something like one token an hour, up to some cap , lets say 10(to preserve microtransactions). When you reach a pokestop, you get your first spin free, then can spin again once per token. But other than that, spots still work as normal. That way, us hicks can still have enough pokeballs to walk around our neighborhoods and catch poo poo, without having to sit in the parking lot of the church two towns over for 2 hours to be able to play (Though you could still do that!). Urban dwellers can still bounce from spot to spot every 5 minutes, and get 500 balls while getting a McDouble with cheese.

- Tiered Gyms. For urbs/suburbs alike, gyms seem to be dominated by spergs already.with 4 figure CP monsters, while the rest of us work-havers have eke out our shittly little C-team of charizard food. There needs to be tiered slots for Gyms - say slots for level 1-5 monsters, 6-10, etc. Or gently caress, even do it by CP. 0-100, 100-250, 250-500, 500-1000, and 1000+ This way, low level monsters can also get competed, and entry level players aren't forced to feed their pokes to some whales powerlevelled mons. Maybe it will also require gym owners to have a pokes. Then cap how many slots someone can occupy, so again, there isn't a single dude with 10 min-maxxed pokes across all tiers eating people

- Friend list/Friend PVP. This needs no explanation, and makes no loving sense how they didn't have this day 1.

- PvE vs. wild mans. Come the gently caress on. This was a staple of pokemon since day one. Yeah, it's nice to relentlessly imprison every critter along the way. But it would be nice to also train up your mons against wild pokes too.

- Pokestop radii. I get they want you to actually go to the stop, which is cool. But come on - at least give a community feature for reporting an improper visit radius. I've watched half a dozen people come up to a chain link fence today, trying to get to an ill placed stop. And one person even scale it. A 50% wider radius won't hurt anyone, and may stop people from doing dumb poo poo to get their pokeballs.

Theres a poo poo ton of nice-to-have features that could be added too - even stuff that could bring in more money.

For instance -

Pay to open your own temporary pokestop, like if you were doing a house party. Lasts a couple hours, can take lures.
Community buying/selling - a la Steam trading cards. People catch digital monsters, sell them to other people, Pokemon company take a cut of the sale.
Customization - pay coins for a temporary re-skin/shirt/funny hat
"Rare" variants, like someone mentioned earlier.

I agree with all this except the candies. one of my favorite things is that you cant buy stardust/candies. you have to catch 'mons, hatch eggs, and transfer for that stuff (I.E. play the game.) If you could just buy it it would become a lot more pay to win.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Dalaram posted:

I think it might not be bad to impose a cap on how many gyms someone can own. If anything it would lead to a bit more coordination within teams, but also it would stop turbowhale from taking a road trip and flattening all the gyms along the way. As fun as that might be for that guy, it really adds very little to local play.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeah it'd be nice if they didn't choose one of the worst gens for this game

On the flipside, this does a lot to invalidate first gen supremacy arguments. :v:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Never been able to get into anything Pokemon ever but this does. I get to walk and explore which is great for my health, I get to do landscape and street photography, and I get to collect cute little shits.

There's a gym near my place that's in the middle of a primeval forest, lended my support to it and took a panorama of the place: (9pm Swedish time)

Also, if you need to hatch some eggs and you've got a turntable around, let it spin. It's not fast but it works.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I quite like it just starting with the first bunch, means you can appreciate the older critters before the really good ones arrive.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

On the flipside, this does a lot to invalidate first gen supremacy arguments. :v:

Dark, Steel and Fairy exist, so that's nice at least. Otherwise literally every gym would eventually end up Alakazam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

McDragon posted:

Not the worst thing I read today, saw an Alex Jones thing pop up saying that Pokemon Go is a CIA conspiracy lmao.

• Locked thread