Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

spog posted:

Twin Peaks - I've never seen it. I know it has a reputation, but I am not sure what that entirely is.

Is it worth a watch or not? All the articles/reviews have spoilers, so I want to avoid them - but I've already been burnt by Lost.

If you're at all familiar with David Lynch's work, you'll have an idea of what to expect. Don't let the fact that it's a TV show make you think he'll lighten up. There's some legitimately hosed up stuff going on (like that season two episode - fans know the one I mean).

Give it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What's a quick, easy way to do screen-sharing over the internet with randos?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Xandu posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=192

There's a few different threads here depending on which system you're using.

Yeah, I was hoping there might have been a general thread I wasn't seeing. Is Plex still the media server software du jour or have things advanced in the last few years? My old server needs reformatting.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, I was hoping there might have been a general thread I wasn't seeing. Is Plex still the media server software du jour or have things advanced in the last few years? My old server needs reformatting.

What sort of devices are you trying to stream videos to? The transcoding feature that Plex is really good at is less relevant with many modern devices having support for MKV containers and h.264 and h.265 formats, so if you're streaming to say, modern smart TVs or the XBox One/PS4, you can simply use Windows' built in media sharing support and browse to it on your device.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gradenko_2000 posted:

Skype.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

fishmech posted:

What sort of devices are you trying to stream videos to? The transcoding feature that Plex is really good at is less relevant with many modern devices having support for MKV containers and h.264 and h.265 formats, so if you're streaming to say, modern smart TVs or the XBox One/PS4, you can simply use Windows' built in media sharing support and browse to it on your device.

My primary targets are two Chromecasts (the newer version both), in the living room and bedroom, controlled via Android phone if that makes any difference. Once in a very (very) long while over the internet to said phone, but 99.whatever% just in house.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Google Hangouts.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
rabb.it

Just invite your friends and give them the link. Don't even need to create an account

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ciaphas posted:

My primary targets are two Chromecasts (the newer version both), in the living room and bedroom, controlled via Android phone if that makes any difference. Once in a very (very) long while over the internet to said phone, but 99.whatever% just in house.

For this case, a lot of people recommend using this extension in desktop Chrome, if you want to watch files you have on your computer: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/videostream-for-google-ch/cnciopoikihiagdjbjpnocolokfelagl?hl=en

Plex can also do it from Windows or Android.

Gabriel-Ernest
Jun 3, 2011

Such dreadful things should not be said even in fun.
My office building's parking lot was repaved and sealcoated recently, and for a couple days afterwards, it gave off a strong herbal smell. I thought it was something like root beer or Ricola herbal cough drops. My coworker described it as minty.

What could've caused this? I thought it might be coal tar, which I know is a common sealant -- but I had a vague idea that coal tar smells terrible. This wasn't that unpleasant, just strong and kind of odd.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Pine tar?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What do you think is the lightest weight to size ratio for the following items. I have a 50 lb limit for a checked bag that I would not like to exceed so I'm hoping to pack all the "heavy" stuff in my carry on roller before my checked bag. Just regular items such as button up shirts, jackets, jeans, shoes, socks, and boxers. I'm thinking of throwing my shoes stuffed with my socks and boxers in my carry-on and then try and fit my jackets or jeans in there. The remaining items such as my shirts I'll put in my checked bag.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Do you not have a scale? Pack your bag, hold it, stand on scale. Put the bag down, stand on the scale again. Subtract. Ask your friends to borrow a scale or something if you need to.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

tuyop posted:

Do you not have a scale? Pack your bag, hold it, stand on scale. Put the bag down, stand on the scale again. Subtract. Ask your friends to borrow a scale or something if you need to.

Why do you have to stand on the scale while holding the bag? Just. Put the bag on the scale.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

YggiDee posted:

Why do you have to stand on the scale while holding the bag? Just. Put the bag on the scale.

A lot of digital scales won't activate without detecting weight from two feet on them, or from a box with a flat, stiff base. And you're going to carry the pack anyway, so why not make sure you're capable of handling it?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

fishmech posted:

I'd say it's worth a watch, at least of the first season.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Give it a go.

greazeball posted:

. I think it still holds up, especially if you like David Lynch and his style, but you should stop watching immediately once the mystery is solved. It goes on for a while past that and holy poo poo it gets dumb.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the non-spoilered recommendations. I'll give it a go.

I just didn;t want to get invested in something if it turned into crap (e.g. Lost, Prison Break, etc, etc)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

What do you think is the lightest weight to size ratio for the following items. I have a 50 lb limit for a checked bag that I would not like to exceed so I'm hoping to pack all the "heavy" stuff in my carry on roller before my checked bag. Just regular items such as button up shirts, jackets, jeans, shoes, socks, and boxers. I'm thinking of throwing my shoes stuffed with my socks and boxers in my carry-on and then try and fit my jackets or jeans in there. The remaining items such as my shirts I'll put in my checked bag.

I fly all the time and have found that it is very hard to hit 50lbs with just clothing in any reasonably sized suitcase.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Last time I flew, on my return trip I had two pairs of winter boots, a winter coat, and some literal rocks in my checked bag, on top of my regular two weeks of clothing, and only hit 40lbs. Though that said, one of the people at the scale told me that a pair of jeans tends towards 1-2lbs so don't pack more than 20 pairs of jeans I guess??

All the airports I've been in also had luggage scales right at the entrance so you can always shuffle cargo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I got an invitation to my sister-in-law's baby shower this weekend. As a dude I get the distinct impression that such things are not my territory, but figure I'll at least stop in with a gift if I can. What sorts of things go well for that? The kid is of unknown sex, as yet (they'll find out when it's born in September, they say).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ciaphas posted:

I got an invitation to my sister-in-law's baby shower this weekend. As a dude I get the distinct impression that such things are not my territory, but figure I'll at least stop in with a gift if I can. What sorts of things go well for that? The kid is of unknown sex, as yet (they'll find out when it's born in September, they say).

See if they have a registry and get something from that. If not, generic baby toys. I'm partial to weird blocks: http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/periodic-table-building-blocks

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Ciaphas posted:

Size three diapers and wipes. And maybe a children's book if you want something sentimental.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

tuyop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-KYkN4m4DM&t=49s

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Busy Bee posted:

What's the weather like where you're going, how long are you going to be there, and how much extra stuff do you plan on bringing back? People tend to over-pack, you really don't need 50 lb worth of clothing no matter where you're traveling or if you'll be gone for less than a few months. You definitely don't need to be packing more than one jacket unless you're going multiple places with extreme weather changes. You can do laundry while on a trip to save packing space. Even if you don't have access to a washer or dryer you can wash things by hand. Bringing four pairs of socks and underwear and washing them instead of bringing fifteen saves a lot of space. I've traveled a lot and have never packed more than a backpack and a carry-on, even on a five week international trip that went from blizzard to desert conditions. Saves a ton of time by not having to wait in line to check and claim bags, too. Minimize the amount of stuff you're bringing and you'll meet the weight limit.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
If you plan to travel a lot buy a luggage scale its a little hand held thing that you lift your luggage with and weighs it, usually small, portable and a lot faster and easier to use than the bathroom scale method.

Example:

God knows I always wished I had it whenever I was going to and from school by plane. Books are very dense and very heavy, so it was a pain trying to balance my luggage to carry it all.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ciaphas posted:

This thing.

(image is an Amazon link)

When they're a little baby they like picking up the wooden blocks and smacking them together. When they're a bit older they like putting them on the pegs and taking them back off. You can teach colours with them when they're younger and then later on you can use them for reading numbers and simple addition and subtraction. My eldest daughter is three, and her little sister is nearly one, and we were given a set of these when the eldest was born. They both love them and play with them together and separately. It's not a gendered toy either so it works perfectly for your situation.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
So why exactly did notch refuse to donate to SGDQ/doctors without borders? I know he's pissed about the bits system but SGDQ wasn't using them. Was it just because SGDQ was sponsored by Twitch, and he now feels like both SGDQ and doctors without borders are "contaminated" or something? I just don't understand what he's trying to do here.

E: turns out notch just needs to not forget to include important information like the fact that he was donating directly to doctors without borders when he makes announcements.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 12, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Size three diapers and wipes. And maybe a children's book if you want something sentimental.
Size three diapers is where it's at. I don't buy anything smaller than 12 months. They will get an avalanche of crap that's "newborn" or 0-3 months that the kid will wear for 5 minutes. They will have way less 12/18/24 month stuff. Buy 12+ mos.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

CrazySalamander posted:

So why exactly did notch refuse to donate to SGDQ/doctors without borders? I know he's pissed about the bits system but SGDQ wasn't using them. Was it just because SGDQ was sponsored by Twitch, and he now feels like both SGDQ and doctors without borders are "contaminated" or something? I just don't understand what he's trying to do here.

I know absolutely nothing about this but I'm gonna go with "because Notch is an idiot man baby"

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I usually just bring a bucket of Duplos. Everybody else likes to give a shitton of dolls, which the kids don't really care about, and the kids will grow out of cute baby clothes in six months.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

CrazySalamander posted:

Tin Gang posted:

I know absolutely nothing about this but I'm gonna go with "because Notch is an idiot man baby"

So I finally found the answer (no clue why google search wasn't coming up with it before) and basically the answer is that notch needs to not forget to include critical information like the fact that he actually was donating directly to doctors without borders instead.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Books. I have a few friends and family members who had babies semi-recently and when asked what kind of presents they like to receive for their kids they all said books. They're small and easy to store unlike toys which can take up lots of space. They all hate it when their kid receives stuffed animals because everyone wants to give a kid stuffed animals and they end up with dozens they never play with.

Even if the baby can't understand English, books provide an activity that engages both the parents and the baby and thus they'll get a lot of use. My go to is always Pat the Bunny and maybe one or two others that catch my eye. Children's books (especially baby books) tend to be pretty cheap so you can buy a handful.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Speaking of books for baby showers, a cool thing my wife did for hers was to tell everyone that instead of getting a card she'd like them to buy a children's book and write on the inside cover. Cards would be lost in a week, and she'll have those books for a long time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've got her those Janod stackers and a Pat the Bunny book on the way. That'll do, I suspect.

Now I guess I get to come to terms with being an uncle in a couple months :v:

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Chillyrabbit posted:

If you plan to travel a lot buy a luggage scale its a little hand held thing that you lift your luggage with and weighs it, usually small, portable and a lot faster and easier to use than the bathroom scale method.

Example:

God knows I always wished I had it whenever I was going to and from school by plane. Books are very dense and very heavy, so it was a pain trying to balance my luggage to carry it all.

Did you go to school on an airship or that island from Sonic 3 or something?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Okonner posted:

I'm going to guess the Alaskan back country. Every day Mom straps her kid into the family Piper Cub, takes off from the tundra in the front yard, and flies to the nearest village 100 miles away, where there's an elementary school. :3:

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Okonner posted:

5 years of school across the country, It was a large annoyance to repack at the airport because I didn't have a scale to weigh my bags. But my situation might have been a little unique.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Are there any rules regarding titles when incorporating a business.

I just formed my own corporation and chose a boring title. Could I have legally been designated the Dear Leader or Imperator Rex of the company in the articles of incorporation?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Methanar posted:

Are there any rules regarding titles when incorporating a business.

I just formed my own corporation and chose a boring title. Could I have legally been designated the Dear Leader or Imperator Rex of the company in the articles of incorporation?

It depends on state law. You would often have to be designated as a more boring title to be an official officer of the company (because having someone of a particular position name is often required), but you could in your day-to-day business decide that the company President should always be referred to as Imperator Rex, put that on your business cards, and so on.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Went with a friend to shop for a gas stove last weekend and noticed that they all seem to come with one smaller "simmer" burner now. Has this been a thing for a while? Hard to imagine that the masses were clamoring for this. I don't recall having trouble simmering on a regular burner, but maybe I was in denial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

socketwrencher posted:

Went with a friend to shop for a gas stove last weekend and noticed that they all seem to come with one smaller "simmer" burner now. Has this been a thing for a while? Hard to imagine that the masses were clamoring for this. I don't recall having trouble simmering on a regular burner, but maybe I was in denial.

Do you mean like a smaller ring burner? They're for small saucepans. More people than ever these days live by themselves and only want to cook a single egg or half a cup of rice or whatever.

Also, people are cooking different things, and a simmer burner under a larger saucepan might be better for like a delicate chocolate or cheese sauce.