Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Did you notice It took us until "Ad Vice" desk to investigate a minority person's death?

Does the hispanic woman with the religious iconography not count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Dooky Dingo posted:

Does the hispanic woman with the religious iconography not count?

I was going to say didn't we spend the entire homicide desk investigating only the brutal murders of women? The game narrowing down the cases we see to the ones that create a coherent story may have skewed things from the players perspective and omitted other aspects of the investigations he had a hand in. Oddly enough I can't seem to find any statistics on homicides in LA County during the 1940's but I'm reasonably certain it was more than 5 in 1947.

Also, Jermaine always seemed like he was trying really hard to be Keith David to me. And I love how everyone just stood around in the illegal betting shop, waiting for Cole to finish loving around with the rigged slot machine.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 5, 2016

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Shame about the music being blocked. I love Billie Holiday.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
And all the illusion of professionalism, adherence to the law and even solidity among cops goes right out the loving window with Ad Vice. The days before Serpico were a dirty, dirty world.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kopijeger posted:

I was thinking more about the container itself: presumably the solution would expand when frozen and possibly burst the wall of the syrette.

Depends on how much water is in it. Most substances are going to contract when frozen, after all.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

If the best part of LA Noire in the facial capture they used then Roy is the best part of LA Noire. No other main actor in the game manages to make such good use of it. Being a smug rear end in a top hat isn't the most subtle role of course, and there are other characters that manage to do more subdued performances really well, but Roy just embodies smarm.

The most punchable face in gaming.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Roy Earle is good but he's still a poor man's Gary Smith.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why is it called "Administrative" Vice, anyway?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

paragon1 posted:

Depends on how much water is in it. Most substances are going to contract when frozen, after all.

Also, since it's a solution, the dissolved morphine salt is probably lowering the freezing point, so it may not even be actually frozen.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Fun fact; the sheet music found in the first apartment/crime scene was composed by Andrew Hale, who scored LA Noire. Also, doesn't "Wop" stand for "WithOut Passport"? I think it comes from the early 20th century and the influx of Italian immigrants to the US who didn't possess any kind of identification. I think the fact that Ottie claimed he paid "the wops" who then kicked up to the LAPD could've been just him directing attention away from Cohen's crew.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nope, that's a false etymology, or a backronym if you will.

quote:

According to Merriam-Webster its first known use was in the United States in 1908. The dictionary is unambiguous that it originates from a southern Italian dialect term guappo, meaning thug, derived from the Spanish term guapo, meaning handsome, via dialectical French, meaning ruffian or pimp. It also has roots in the Latin vappa, meaning wine gone flat.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Huh, that's interesting. I guess the matching timeframe was one of the key components in promoting the incorrect etymology.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Why is it called "Administrative" Vice, anyway?

Because the LAPD are the ones administering it?

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Tarezax posted:

Also, since it's a solution, the dissolved morphine salt is probably lowering the freezing point, so it may not even be actually frozen.

This. Most drugs are delivered as salts which disassociate in aqueous solution; which means that for every molecule of drug you get two ions in solution. ( This is also why salt is a better de-icer than sand or sugar or whatever non-ionic thing you choose ). So, assuming that your ice isn't significantly sub-cooled, it's just not going to be cold enough to freeze the solution.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Another thing to bring up a The Man With The Golden Arm is the title sequence which was done by Saul Bass who do a lot of Hitchcock title sequences
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGnpJ_KdqZE

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
Merlon Ottie is the first genuinely likable character in the entire game. Why can't we play as that guy?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Molly Millions posted:

Merlon Ottie is the first genuinely likable character in the entire game. Why can't we play as that guy?
gently caress you, and gently caress you, you aren't gonna lay a charge on me

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.

Molly Millions posted:

Aw, you didn't like Enrique and Bekowsky? Carruthers and Pinker are okay, too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zerbin7 posted:

Aw, you didn't like Enrique and Bekowsky? Carruthers and Pinker are okay, too.

I wouldn't call Galloway a good person, but he was a fun partner.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Bobbin mentions how opioids are insidious, but that's not even the half of it. I've tried my fair share of recreational pharmaceuticals, and even had a brush with alcoholism during a particular rough patch in my life, but once you remove the underlying cause for such abuse (stress, depression, what-have-you...), such habits are tolerably easy to kick. I've had it easy, simply deciding to quit was enough.

Opioids though? Insidious isn't the word - that poo poo is downright loving evil. A few years ago I had an accident involving my hand and very sharp machinery - very nasty stuff, blood everywhere, bones being in unorthodox and painful places; the kind of accident that requires lengthy surgery. The surgeon cuts me up a bit here, sutures a bit there, throws away the excess bits, and writes me a prescription for some painkillers.

Now, since the original injury was surprisingly clean, and the surgeon was really good at his job, the wound I had should (and did) heal quickly, so the painkillers I was prescribed were only half-strength of what's usual. "Just take one now, and one whenever the pain gets really bad"...

Yeah.

The great thing about opioids, is how drat effective they are at taking away any and all pain you might be feeling. But like Bobbin said, they're insidious. Within a remarkably short time, you catch yourself thinking about popping a pill at the slightest hint of discomfort. Wound sore? Pill. Scar itching? Pill. Stubbed toe? Pill. Stress headache? Stressed out? Feeling a bit lonely? Bored? That loving pill worms its way into your every thought.

My original prescription was for a blister pack of ten pills. After having taken 6 of them over half a week, they had me so frightened, I marched down to my GP, and handed them in. And yet, for months afterwards, I kept catching myself thinking "If only I had one of those pills right now..." whenever I wasn't comfortable.

Opioids are terrifying.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That sounds less like the opioids and more like you just have an addictive personality.

Nedge
May 11, 2008

Cakedog: The immortal manchild of science and tasty snacks.
I can attest to what inscrutable horse is saying but to a different degree. When I first moved to Washington almost 5/6 years ago now, I slept in really poor conditions since I was sharing a place with a friend of mine, long story short I slept in an armchair that was incredibly uncomfortable and caused immense backpain because people aren't supposed to sleep in armchairs. When I visited my folks during the summer after I moved, my mother offered me some pain killers to help me sleep, she told me they were "muscle relaxants" and that I should take one if I couldn't sleep. I took one a night for a little more then a week, and ended up getting a bed which meant I didn't need them anymore. After the first day of not taking a pill, I felt immensely fatigued and pain all over my body, not like a sharp overpowering pain but a really dull pain that seemed to come from everywhere at once. The day after it only intensified so I ended up taking another pill and like magic my pain was gone in a matter of hours. I did some googling and found out that the pills my mother gave me, Tramadol, is an opiate based painkiller that can cause withdrawal after only a few uses because apparently that's just how opiates work. I stopped taking them entirely after finding that out, told my mother to stop taking them, and then trudged through about three really, really lovely days of feeling dull and achey and incredibly tired before going back to normal.

I can only imagine the withdrawal that people who have been on the drug for months or even years would go through. For almost a solid week AFTER the withdrawal, I would think about the pills and how I could make any pain go away super easy off of just one pill. It was spooky. Don't accidentally do opiates kids.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Not about me, but a guy I used to work with a few years ago had been in a pretty bad car wreck. Both hips broken by the steering wheel and pretty intense pain and physical therapy followed after. Well, of course they prescribed him painkillers and he'd take them and go to happy land for a while.
Fast forward about 2 years later to the point where we were working together on night shift, 330 pm to about 130 in the morning. The job was sitting at a computer and classifying data. He would be fine for about 3 hours and then start getting REALLY irritable and confrontational and, if you ever challenged him on it, he would just say that his hips were hurting. At dinner break, about 8 or 9, he would drive pretty far away, about an hour if you're doing the speed limit, would slam about 8 or 9 pills and race back to work before the dinner hour was over.
At that point, he would be good to work really well for about an hour or two but from that point forward the dude was an absolute zombie. Literally falling asleep at his desk, muttering to himself, spilling coffee on his desk, etc.
From that point forward, I have NEVER taken a prescription pain pill and, God willing, I never will. I just don't want that in my life.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Molly Millions posted:

Robbins is a fantastic character :colbert:

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Wanamingo posted:

That sounds less like the opioids and more like you just have an addictive personality.

Yeah, have a little more discipline and pull yourself up by your bootstraps you junkie. :colbert:

I haven't done anything harder than alcohol, but even that also can get real bad. Have you ever heard that saying that the only way to know where your limit is is to go over it? I've done it a couple of times when I was younger, and they were bad enough to make me not want to go over it ever again.

Alcohol is also numbing to pain. I was walking back home after a night of drinking, it was pretty dark, didn't notice a part of the sidewalk was uneven, and ended up kissing the concrete. But even after a fall like that, I felt more annoyed than hurt. It wasn't until next day when I started to feel sore.

Anyway, I'm glad I've started to follow this LP, Bobbin. And I love your talking about Noire, it's a genre I didn't know much about, but you present it in a really interesting manner.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 10, 2016

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Talking about all of this got me thinking about addiction, and the way it's been presented in the media. What are some other people's favorite movies/TV shows dealing with addiction?

I think my go to example would be Trainspotting, because while not perfect, it shows both parts of drug addiction in a way that not a lot of movies can manage. A lot of movies seem, when presented with a problem like addiction, to paint it in the most histrionically bleak, unfun terms possible, with users who are pathetic and miserable and dealers who want nothing more than to get people on drugs because reasons, like those ridiculous after-school specials the D.A.R.E program uses. Sometimes this is a result of the times- The Man With The Golden Arm was already pushing the envelope hard by being as sympathetic with its addicted main chararacter as it was- but stuff like Days of Wine and Roses or Clean and Sober seem like adult versions of those school specials; Shame is a study of addiction at a certain stage, where the addict has to indulge in his habit just to seem normal, and thus is mostly devoid of pleasure; while Requiem for a Dream is a straight-up horror movie. Trainspotting, by contrast, is a bright energetic comedy that manages to be completely aware of how fun and enjoyable taking drugs can be, without diminishing the capacity of drugs to destroy lives and keep people in misery. And it's still really funny, on top of that- well, as funny as a movie can be which contains a scene of the main character, Renton, being haunted in the throes of withdrawl by the spectres of his guilt- of Tommy, his sober friend who he hooked on heroin after a break-up with his girlfriend (which Rents was also responsible for); of Spud, his other mate he was arrested with who got six months in prison while Renton walked; and most infamously, the nameless baby girl which Rents and all his mates let die of starvation and neglect, crawling on his celing as a reanimated corpse. There are a lot of complex ideas and emotions that are represented in a relatively short amount of time, and it's really well acted too, one of Ewan McGregor's best roles.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hate to suddenly change the topic, but

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The original Reefer Madness may be a classic for all the wrong reasons, but the musical it inspired is a work of art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HChwSZpOrwg

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hey Bobbin, you may have already answered this and I probably missed it, but do you plan on doing the street crimes for each desk at some point, too?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
While it doesn't deal exclusively with addiction, the Wire is a fantastic show about Police, Drugs, Addiction and how institutions of all kinds trample all over everyone.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Notes:

- Earle referred to pachuco gangs. Apparently these were Latino youth gangs that liked to dress up in zoot suits.
- Gabacho is apparently a derogatory term with various meanings, but here it refers to anglophone Euro-Americans.
- Is it at all reasonable to expect that Airto Sanchez can avoid deportation and asset seizure? How would he even run the store if he is in prison, even for a short while?
- Why do both California and Mexican driver's licenses list the weight of the holder? Also, the Mexican one does not have a rubric for race.
Here's a photo of a period one:

Note how it is valid for four years and is handwritten, otherwise very similar to the ones in the game.

Funnily enough, modern ones do not list race or marital status.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

I swear, the drivers licenses in every state but mine (PA), have the birthdate in red so it stands out, but my state is dumb and backwards and none of the things we do make sense.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Crossfire looks like a good movie; Robert Mitchum and Robert Ryan, Gloria Grahame from In A Lonely Place and directed by Edward Dmytryk of The Caine Mutiny fame (which also has one of Fred MacMurray's best performances.)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Stare-Out posted:

Hey Bobbin, you may have already answered this and I probably missed it, but do you plan on doing the street crimes for each desk at some point, too?

I don't think I have. My plan is to compile all the interesting street crimes from all four desks in a single video I'll set after the first Arson case, after we've met our final partner. This video will also have its own film review.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I don't think I have. My plan is to compile all the interesting street crimes from all four desks in a single video I'll set after the first Arson case, after we've met our final partner. This video will also have its own film review.

Okay, that sounds good. Some of the street crimes are pretty sweet and I was getting antsy as none of them had appeared in the videos yet.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Roy's at his best in this case. It doesn't make him likable, he's still an rear end in a top hat but in this he feels human instead of the designers efforts to create the most punchable man in gaming (Eric Sparrow still takes that spot), stuff like him getting startled by the jack in the can only to nervously pass the blame on to Cole, how much he hates the tour of the soup factory, and his reaction to who the big villain is and his exasperation at having Cole shout down a guy he knows is going to get out of jail without even missing Go no matter what the evidence is.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I love this mission for it's conversations and that bitchin' streamline factory we get to visit. One of my favourite lines in the game is said in this mission (Cole stating that "thousands of dead marines will sleep soundly tonight") and Cole's slow transition into an rear end in a top hat like Roy is some great character development; he's not even pretending to be empathetic anymore and the sarcasm is out in full force. Roy and Cole's banter is also becoming more lively as they get used to each other. As for Cole's speech at the end of the episode, that's not that last time his idealism will get in the way. Hell, you'd think the war would've ground that out of him a long time ago. Roy isn't even a vet (so far as the game mentiones) but he seems to know how the world works.

As for the movies that have been reviewed so far - that recap made me realize just how many stealth gay characters there has been over the years, though in all honesty with some of them I wonder if it's just people reading way too much into inconsequential details. I can see why a lot of people would try and sneak that through though... maybe it explains why they were so against drugs, too.

Though when I was still young enough to enjoy clubbing the gay scene was all full of meth, MDMA and ketamine. Not a whole lot of weed.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm glad you're doing the good Scarface, Bobbins :v:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The reason dollar coins never take off is because people treat them like a collectors item or a novelty, and hang on to them. Then once the mint realizes that they aren't circulating like other coins do, they stop production until the next time they decide to try the idea. The solution is to just stick with it until people get used to using them, but, well :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They work in Canada but I guess we're all loonies to you guys.

• Locked thread