Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

nm posted:

This happened to a friend of a friend of mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97hfxth3aas

Excursion driver is currently in SD County jail for ADW: Motor Vehicle, Battery, and Vandalism.

For the record, that's a public road and his driveway is no where near that. (Occurred roughly here: https://goo.gl/maps/KndkxhxYU7v )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Though really, setting up a photo shoot in the middle of a public road is pretty lame.

I wouldn't stoop to assault over it though. I'd just lay on the horn as I drove through. :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xzzy posted:

Though really, setting up a photo shoot in the middle of a public road is pretty lame.

I wouldn't stoop to assault over it though. I'd just lay on the horn as I drove through. :v:

It is an empty road that leads basically no where. While I underatand being kinda ticked off over a car in the road, it would be easy to move over a lane and move on with your life.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Of course it's an Excursion driver. I swear that truck attracted a very special set of drivers who wanted it only because it's bigger than a Suburban.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Of course it's an Excursion driver. I swear that truck attracted a very special set of drivers who wanted it only because it's bigger than a Suburban.

Spot on

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

So did you email him to tell him he's a huge fuckhead?

Looked like the video had a comment from Tay Zonday on it, which is a total blast from the past.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

KozmoNaut posted:

Ford Excursion aka The "Buried Penis"-Mobile.

I like to call it the Ford Exclusion.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wow, that guy had the shortest of dicks and the worst understanding of property laws. MUH DRIVEWAY!@!!!!!! <attempts to run people over on a public road>

His voice cracking was pretty amusing too. Of course, it would be a lot less amusing if that ignorant prick was in my face and trying to run me over.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

People who's voices crack when they're angry just make it funnier. Kind of reminds me of the Marine Sergeant who lost his mind on that other road rage incident.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fop-OTS2HAU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best part of the video is that actual ranchers don't give a poo poo if people are poking around near their property. As long as you stay off their actual land, your biggest concern should be them talking your ear off for an hour. And even if you do trespass an apology and a friendly tone is all it takes to fix things up.

Pretty much everyone who gets salty about that stuff is fleeing a city and has horrible misconceptions about what country life is actually like.

Dude is probably just pissed off his retirement plan is getting fenced in by subdivisions.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Right outside my apartment complex this morning I witnessed someone adhere to a stop sign by stopping here:

They had no intent to turn into the complex and resumed merrily along their way (mostly because I was stopped and gawking at them.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xzzy posted:

The best part of the video is that actual ranchers don't give a poo poo if people are poking around near their property. As long as you stay off their actual land, your biggest concern should be them talking your ear off for an hour. And even if you do trespass an apology and a friendly tone is all it takes to fix things up.

Pretty much everyone who gets salty about that stuff is fleeing a city and has horrible misconceptions about what country life is actually like.

Dude is probably just pissed off his retirement plan is getting fenced in by subdivisions.

Dude lives in the small, fancy subdivision up the street.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Fat, older people behaving oddly can easily be chalked up to a combination of alcohol and diabetes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nm posted:

Dude lives in the small, fancy subdivision up the street.

What a shitstain.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

EightBit posted:

Fat, older people behaving oddly can easily be chalked up to a combination of alcohol and diabetes.

Truck and attitude like that, it definitely has to be at least the former. Surprised he didn't get booked for DUI as well.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SCA Enthusiast posted:

So did you email him to tell him he's a huge fuckhead?

Looked like the video had a comment from Tay Zonday on it, which is a total blast from the past.

Nah I was gonna catch a flight to visit him and tell him he's on my driveway.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Protocol7 posted:

Truck and attitude like that, it definitely has to be at least the former. Surprised he didn't get booked for DUI as well.

Depends when he got arrested. It's possible he was no longer drunk by the time the police tracked him down.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What a oval office.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

Depends when he got arrested. It's possible he was no longer drunk by the time the police tracked him down.

Or since he apparently lived nearby, he went home and proceeded to continue drinking beer, then by the time officers got to him he could simply say he got drunk at home.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

xzzy posted:

That was my first thought, wondering what the legality of parking a car in a road is. I understand it's the middle of nowhere and doesn't see much traffic, but when shows like Top Gear go to desolate areas and do burnouts from a standstill on the road, and people park in one for a photoshoot, if a cop wanted to be a total rear end in a top hat about it what exactly would they charge you with and what's the penalty associated with it? Are there different rules for country roads like that? Like if you're on video just loitering in the lane with a camera I assume they can't charge you for jaywalking.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You need a permit to legally block a lane, and given how big the film industry is in California the process is pretty well documented.

http://www.film.ca.gov/res/docs/GUIDELINES%20FOR%20CALTRANS%20PERMITS%20Rev%207-1-16.pdf

But it's not super hard anywhere else once you find the correct phone number.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

davebo posted:

That was my first thought, wondering what the legality of parking a car in a road is. I understand it's the middle of nowhere and doesn't see much traffic, but when shows like Top Gear go to desolate areas and do burnouts from a standstill on the road, and people park in one for a photoshoot, if a cop wanted to be a total rear end in a top hat about it what exactly would they charge you with and what's the penalty associated with it? Are there different rules for country roads like that? Like if you're on video just loitering in the lane with a camera I assume they can't charge you for jaywalking.

It would be pretty hard to charge you with anything I can think of. Jaywalking in CA basically doesn't exist as an offense outside of built up areas. Basically they'd tell you to leave, and if you didn't they'd arrest you.
There might be an obscure parking violation, but that woulf be a parking ticket.
Edit: depending on your interpretation of practiable to park off the highway, given 200 feet of visiblity, it might have been explictly legal under vc22504.

nm fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 11, 2016

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

You need a permit to legally block a lane, and given how big the film industry is in California the process is pretty well documented.

http://www.film.ca.gov/res/docs/GUIDELINES%20FOR%20CALTRANS%20PERMITS%20Rev%207-1-16.pdf

But it's not super hard anywhere else once you find the correct phone number.

Well suprisingly it would be legal to park a car like this on german streets (Außerortsstraßen): https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au%C3%9Ferortsstra%C3%9Fe Which most of the time are Bundesstrassen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundesstra%C3%9Fe. So it would basically be allowed if you park as far right as you can. Which they mostly did.
Surely German and US (and state) law is different. But most of the time regulations tend to bit a bit stricter in Germany.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'd say from the dude's anger, tiny penis, and political views, the filmers are lucky they didn't get shot. They handled it almost as well as could be expected though except for the guy yelling gently caress you or whatever really pissed him off.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I drive to rural areas and park in the road to do photo shoots all the time. When I encounter people they usually see my camera so they know I don't need help, then smile and wave and drive by like normal human beings.

The best part of all these road rage incidents is the person is raging about being inconvenienced or slowed down. So what do they do? Stop and waste a bunch of time yelling and screaming. If you're in such a big fuckin hurry then why'd you stop?

Same kind of thing happened in my neighborhood, two cars in front of me and the second was badly tailgating the first. He wanted to go faster than 25 in a 25, next to a park and houses where children play. The old man in the first car gets to his street and flips the guy off as he turns. So what does mr speedy do? Slams on his brakes and throws it in reverse to follow and fight the guy. The best part though was I was blocking him from backing up, so we're now sitting there in the street not moving, so I laid on my horn. He was so confused, pissed off about some guy slowing him down while simultaneously doing exactly what he was so mad about. He just got back in his truck and drove off, of course way too fast for the neighborhood.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My worst moment was a car coming up a narrow dirt road as I was picking up my kit. I opened my driver door, popped my camera off the head, and dropped it on my seat. So I'm stuck there with the tripod legs sticking out in to the road, and they take a good 20 seconds to fold up. My options were to either force this driver to wait while I fumbled around, or get the gently caress out of the way.

I opted for the latter, hauling my empty tripod to the front of my car and closing the door so they could pass. I got a funny look but at least they didn't try to assault me.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had some old guy get super pissed at me for taking a wide turn in his neighborhood at a blistering 20 miles an hour. He yelled at me for a minute and then walked off. When I was leaving 40 minutes later he started following me on his lawnmower and threatened to call the cops. He must have been out searching for me in 97 degree weather the entire time, the idiot.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
At an old apartment I lived in years ago, I'd get a particularly annoying set of neighbors that would bitch about my speed going through the complex. Posted speed signs of 10mph and I was usually at or below that, because of idiots who didn't want to look before crossing the street or let their kids play in the road unsupervised. I had one of them yell at me when their precious shitstain darted out into the road in front of my moving car to get a basketball and almost got pasted. So glad I don't live in that place, on the upside it turned out some of those neighbors weren't paying rent because they were friends with the complex manager, who got caught because he wasn't keeping track of rent or doing maintenance, resulting in at least 7 or 8 apartments mysteriously emptying out within a week :lol:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

sleepy.eyes posted:

Had some old guy get super pissed at me for taking a wide turn in his neighborhood at a blistering 20 miles an hour. He yelled at me for a minute and then walked off. When I was leaving 40 minutes later he started following me on his lawnmower and threatened to call the cops. He must have been out searching for me in 97 degree weather the entire time, the idiot.

Heh, reminds me of some Antique-American that threatened to throw rocks at my car when I rolled through his pissy little residential street at 20 mph - because it was the actual posted detour for the construction on the pissy little residential through street a block over.

Actually, it was twice - the first time I thought I heard him yelling, as I drove to get out to the place I was going. The return trip is when he made sure to start bitching before I even got to him. :bahgawd:

Today's fun has been "Let us drive 15-20 mph on crowded through streets, not using signals to indicate turns/lane changes-oh-wait-I-didn't-want-to-take-the-turn-only-lane-better-wander-back-into-the-lane-people-are-passing-me-in-now" day.

Wonder if any of them were playing Suicide By Pokémon? Might explain some of this idiocy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Antique-American

Holy poo poo, I'm stealing that.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My favorite are the old fucks who put up fake, legally weightless speed limit signs in their yard then get mad when you correctly ignore them. Nobody thinks the county used painted plywood and black duct tape to put a 10 mph speed limit on this gravel road, get over yourself, bubba.

Javid fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 11, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Javid posted:

My favorite are the old fucks who put up fake, legally weightless speed limit signs in their yard then get mad when you correctly ignore them. Nobody thinks the county used painted plywood and black duct tape to put a 10 mph speed limit on this gravel road, get over yourself, bubba.

My neighbour (who is otherwise very cool) tried to ram some douchebag doing a burnout on the hill in front of my house the other day.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sleepy.eyes posted:

I got this once in my pre-LS1-swapped C10 waaaay back in high school, from some old gently caress walking his dog. I was "going too fast" for his liking in a short section of road (literally a 90 degree right turn that goes by two houses, then a 90 degree left) where I would've had to flog the everloving piss out of the truck to even maintain the 25MPH limit on said street. I only ran into the house for a few minutes and was leaving again when he'd walked his dog over to where I was and ran in front of my truck so he could yell at me. I laughed at him and then he went up to the front door to presumably tell my parents off while I drove away.

I think my mom basically rolled her eyes at him and slammed the door in his face. She drove her Suburban way faster through the neighborhood than I did anyway.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

In my youth, it was my experience that the chance of getting yelled at for going to fast was directly proportional to how loud the exhaust on my car was. The big 440 with long-tubes and straight pipes out the back was apparently traveling near light-speed when I didn't even put it in gear sometimes.

That car also got pulled over 4 times in a single trip to California for the crime of being too noisy for the local sheriff's.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My neighbors have been highly approving of my change in vehicles since they claimed me flooring my truck with super 44s going up the small hill in front of my house was waking them up late at night. (Most nights they claimed this, I hadn't been out) I've also gotten numerous complains about my speeding (never above 35mph) and loud vehicle from our lovely HOA board, however nothing has been done because the head knows what my response would have been and is generally pretty cool. How much are 4" ebay fartcans again?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I'll be starting a drive from Florida to California tomorrow, bound to see some seriously weird poo poo. Assuming I'm not run off the road and shot by some nut.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 12, 2016

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oih1Yf7l-c0

These are the people you share an Uber with. The driver looked like he was on the verge of stroking out.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oih1Yf7l-c0

These are the people you share an Uber with. The driver looked like he was on the verge of stroking out.

the_sharing_economy.avi

Uber is terrible and there are several reasons not to use it.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Had a guy try to run me off the road last night for (legally) passing him when he was going below the speed limit. He then drove off at 15 mph over the speed limit.

I don't understand people sometimes. If he was going that speed to begin with I wouldn't have passed him.

Ford Explorer driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

From what I can tell, drivers driving inconsistent speeds is almost always caused by a cell phone.

They speed up when not using it, then when a new text comes in they drop way back down to try and read/respond to it.