Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Can't wait to see Mob Psycho 100, then when it finishes I'll read Mob Psycho 100 and once I catch up i'll have a proper dose of ONE-content at the correct intervals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It should be up now on Crunchy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bernardo Orel posted:

And remember that Mob Psycho has the same issue OPM had - it has a really slow start and it takes a while until interesting characters are introduced and things start to happen. So, just stick with it because it gets really good.

It's just like Agents of Shield!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

And More posted:

Also: OPM has a slow start?

The pre Genos comics aren't quite as captivating. OPM really benefits from the sense of continuity that develops as it explores its setting. The comic has something of a sense of disassociation before then.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I will never get tired of how drat good every chapter looks.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Schwarzwald posted:

The pre Genos comics aren't quite as captivating. OPM really benefits from the sense of continuity that develops as it explores its setting. The comic has something of a sense of disassociation before then.

I hope we can agree, though, that without those first four chapters, none of the other stuff could happen. It's kind of necessary to set up your protagonist before you introduce the sidekick.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
And if anything the idea that saitama is a gag protagonist in a shonen world is important to set up

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

And More posted:

I hope we can agree, though, that without those first four chapters, none of the other stuff could happen. It's kind of necessary to set up your protagonist before you introduce the sidekick.

I don't, actually. I think the segment where Saitama can't manage to slap mosquito (and concludes with him absentmindedly saving Genos) does a better job of introducing the character than the actual introduction, and the the first four chapters are more effective if you read them following the fight with Asura Rhino.

This is especially evident in the anime. If you ever rewatch the series, try watching them in the episode order: 2, 3, 1. It really improves the flow of the story.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I dunno about watching the episodes in different order, but I sorta agree that starting with character who would be the protagonist in any other story is a thing ONE likes to do and the Genos' introduction chapters can also work as an intro. Mob Psycho 100 also does this too with introducing Reigen for half of the first chapter before Mob. Both Saitama and Mob (to a lesser extent) are just better when they have someone to play off of. OPM's first few chapters come across as a faster monster of the week sketch, and it's funny and a cool intro and a deeper look at the introduction of your main hero, but it doesn't HAVE to come first.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yeah, just changing the episode order would basically introduce Saitama as "I'm just a guy who really loving hates mosquitoes" instead of "hero for fun". You'd have to completely rewrite the first chapter to include Genos if you wanted to accomplish the same thing Mob Psycho does.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I finally decided to read the manga and thought I'd just catch up to where the anime ended before bed and ended up staying up until 4:30am reading it until the latest chapter. Metal Bat rules insanely hard far more than I expected.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pompadour = Excellent character. It's a rule.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

This is exactly why Yu Yu Hakusho is so good, and why Kuwabara is its best character.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

see also: Space Dandy

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I've always felt that first few chapters were written before he considered making a story out of it. They just seem like standalone things. Then it later turned into a series as he liked the concept as a story, but the initial stuff was kept for legacy reasons or whatever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The God of Comics, even overseas.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I love how he draws SP//dr

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If Murata didn't have so many projects, I'd love to see him illustrate a Spider-Man limited or oneshot.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Which one's Spider-Ham?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

In the middle right of the third cover, next to 2099.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/laurapostvoice/status/753694244494159874

Laura Post, voice of Diana from Little Witch, Nozomi from the Love Lives, and Ahri from League of Salt gets the honor of saying one line.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's the lady who voiced Ragyo Kiryuin, I hope she enjoys her one next episode preview.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's mostly the promise of more screentime when/if they get to season 2.

Or if they dub the OVAs.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Waffleman_ posted:

It's mostly the promise of more screentime when/if they get to season 2.

and Or if they dub the OVAs.

Who do you think you're kidding? Those are done deals unless everyone involved suddenly develops a crippling allergy to money.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"Blizzard"

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Freaking dubs

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol that's not a dub thing

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I do question why the gently caress he's still being called Mumen Rider if they're going with the translations of Blizzard and Tornado's names. Like that's something I questioned in the official viz releases, why?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Still like Common Rider.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fubuki and Tatsumaki are legit their birth names, which also do mean Blizzard and Tornado, but they're actual names.

Mumen Rider is a hero name so it's a bit less weird.
Common Rider is the best way to localise Mumen Rider for sure.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Who cares is the most important part tho.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

maybe the japanese does not translate perfectly into english

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

whoa there

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CharlestheHammer posted:

Incorrect, the most important part is whether or not she's best girl when translated into English.

Since she is, it's all good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fubuki and Tatsumaki are legit their birth names, which also do mean Blizzard and Tornado, but they're actual names.

The way I see it, Fubuki and Tatsumaki are their birth names, but Hellish Blizzard and Terrible Tornado are their Hero names.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Waffleman_ posted:

The way I see it, Fubuki and Tatsumaki are their birth names, but Hellish Blizzard and Terrible Tornado are their Hero names.

You see it correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Waffleman_ posted:

So which one of them is the Nagahama Robot series fan?

It's Tatsumaki, right?