Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Plavski posted:

Final Fantasy has always kinda done that. 6 had suicide, single mothers and the end of the world. In 7 you're responsible for destroying a huge chunk of Midgar and there's lots of stuff about death and sacrifice. In 8 you listen to love songs and grow up in the same orphanage as every other character with a speaking role and... well 8 is a bit of a mess.

A lot of this stuff tends to blur into one big smudge when you're playing the same game for 60-odd hours. But I think the darkness has always been there, no matter how many chocobos you ride at the Golden Saucer, or Octopus-based operas you perform.

Yeah for sure, but IX moreso than the others goes for that colourful fairytale atmosphere which makes it stand out more for me. In a way it's the opposite of VII, that game for the most part has a pretty gloomy and subdued atmosphere with a colour palette to match, but at the same time it has a surprising amount of lighthearted goofiness in it.

Of course many fairytales are dark as hell too, so I guess it only makes sense. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Reminder that this is a series where the second game kills off half the world's population.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
pfft
Xenogears killed off like 99 % of the world

but yeah this tends to happen in Square games

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Plavski posted:

In 8 you listen to love songs and grow up in the same orphanage as every other character with a speaking role and... well 8 is a bit of a mess.

In 8 you're a group of child soldiers who are being subjected to a practice that effectively causes long-term brain damage in exchange for more killing power.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

DeafNote posted:

pfft
Xenogears killed off like 99 % of the world

but yeah this tends to happen in Square games

In a disc that was 99% cutscene. Can we really call it a game at that point?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's also two different games where mad scientists render people into monstrosities.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

There's also two different games where mad scientists render people into monstrosities.

IV and VII.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Mega64 posted:

One of those occasions in 7 is by attempting to cross-breed a tiger with a girl.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Plavski posted:

One of those occasions in 7 is by attempting to cross-breed a tiger with a girl.

Look, it's already been established that Hojo spent way too much time on the internet. :v:

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Hey man, this is a judgement free zone. What Hojo gets off on is his own business.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Mega64 posted:

And then there's Cie'thing entire regiments of soldiers for the hell of it in XIII. Alright that's magicking them into monsters instead of sciencing them.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
RIP in peace Burmecian Soldier Dan. Does literally 5 things on screen, 3 of those were threatening to murder an innocent little boy.

I'm glad he's dead. :colbert:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
If I remember correctly, the correct path to save everyone during the invasion also mirrors the path of the guided tour when you first arrive? But yeah, there's also the priests running off-screen just as you arrive, so if you're paying attention you have another hint.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ilyich posted:

RIP in peace Burmecian Soldier Dan. Does literally 5 things on screen, 3 of those were threatening to murder an innocent little boy.

I'm glad he's dead. :colbert:

Another was threatening to murder an adult black mage.

r.i.p. Burmecian Racist Dan.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Burmecians just aren't very PC when it comes to Black Mages.

Mega64 posted:

But I'll let you in to see the show if you become my slave!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Burmecians just aren't very PC when it comes to Black Mages.

Making a Black Mage into one's slave can also have... unfortunate implications.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

FeyerbrandX posted:

It is, and the only reason I didn't mention it before was because I couldn't remember the name of the other piano piece it reminded me of.

This is it though, would be shocked if Uematsu didn't didn't take a little inspiration from it. The Entertainer
It's been like a month but I just saw this thread and had to musicologist :goonsay:

The Treno theme is clearly influenced by the ragtime genre in general and Joplin in particular, but it doesn't really bear that much resemblance to The Entertainer outside of being in the same genre. If I had to pick a Joplin piece it resembled, I'd probably say The Cascades, which is similar to the point that high school me was very confused when I heard it in a recital. :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
#MageLivesMatter

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
She's already stolen everything that matters and massacred them with impunity. That Odin-dunk was just spiteful. Or cruel.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Glazius posted:

She's already stolen everything that matters and massacred them with impunity. That Odin-dunk was just spiteful. Or cruel.

she was just following the natural instinct of trying out a new summon when it became available. we should all be so fortunate to have it happen in a cutscene where the power is hundred-fold

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
RIP Burmecian Soldier Dan, and RIP Freya's involvement in the story.

Seriously, she basically does nothing the rest of the game aside from be an awesome party member.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Ok, so I've been catching up with the LP and I was just wrapping up the Blue Magic gathering when Quina finally got White Wind from a Zuu, but only after it had already eaten one of the other party members, thus making the nastiest turduken in existence. I guess it'd be a Quzuurat? I'm not sure how to feel about it, aside from disturbed. You guys are right, FF9 is super dark.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Glazius posted:

You think that was spiteful? Wait till you see the next attack she has planned.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Dan made Vivi sad, so he can gently caress off. :colbert:

Lavender menace
Nov 7, 2012

by Lowtax
It always felt to me that Fratley should have appeared after the party faces Beatrix, because the party hasn't really changed or had the chance to get any stronger than the last time and it would provide a better opportunity to highlight him as a warrior of legend. Fending off 3 mages is one thing but going one on one with the person who stomped the party twice is another level, also it would give Beatrix a better reason to retreat. While the trance system is the biggest gameplay flaw, I feel the handling of Freya/Fratley is where the story falls flattest.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Watching that video, I thought to myself that this game needs an HD remaster, with voice acting... But then again, maybe not...

Plavski posted:

From Elentor's awesome FF7 LP

Mega64
May 23, 2008

AIRSHIP SOUNDS

So Zidane, Freya, and Vivi all made it out safely. Again, Quina decided to gently caress off instead and is likely dead as a result. Way to not be a team player you jerk.

Cleyra...Puck...Quina... They're all gone...

Oh yeah! What happened to Beatrix!? I'll bet she's on this ship!

Freya just watched her people and the city she promised to protect with her life all get utterly destroyed in an instant. Everything she cared about is gone partly due to her failings (though honestly she wouldn't have been able to save them no matter how strong she was). She is by far at her lowest point and may be struggling to see how she can even have any purpose in this insane, hosed-up world that keeps beating her down so horribly.

For Vivi, it's just another Tuesday.

:siren: :siren:

This music is probably one of the most popular pieces in the game, so give it a listen. The soundtrack I have has different names and generally I use those because I'm lazy (and sometimes they end up being pretty great, such as "Steiner Stealth") but I feel I probably would've had terrible things happen to me if I didn't use its actual title.

Anyway, this is Beatrix's theme, so enjoy.

How is Her Majesty?
She has eagerly awaited your return. I am certain she will shower you with praise for our victory.

Forgive me, General.
Tell Her Majesty that I will report to her shortly.

My troops alone would've been more than enough to take Cleyra.

I didn't train all these years so I could take a backseat to anyone...

You three, get on the telepod and go to Alexandria immediately.

Maybe Steiner was right...

Looks like Brahne's onboard this ship.

......It's too dark. I can't see anything.

Is this it, Your Majesty?

...No. I need one more! I must get the last jewel!

...Yes, Your Majesty.

Garnet... We have drawn all the eidolons from her. She is no longer of any use to me.
What do you mean, Your Majesty?

What?
Don't make me repeat myself!

Now, go! Find the last jewel!
Your Majesty...

drat. So cold-hearted she's going to off her own daughter. And this immediately after rat genocide. Brahne is loving twisted.

Calm down! Fighting them now would be senseless. They still have Garnet in custody.
So what are you saying!? We should just stand here!? We've gotta get to Alexandria before Brahne! That's the only way!

Vivi! Where are you going!?

You then control Zidane and backtrack where you started. On the way, a moogle pops up, a hint that you should backtrack and talk to her.

Kupo! So, that's what the big sound was... I wonder if Mopli and Stiltzkin are okay?

This is kinda important since more Mognet stuff. Anyway, back to the story.

There's nothing else to do so let's go.

Alright, let's try it.

Oh yeah and Vivi falls again take a shot.

Dagger! I'm coming!

So our party teleports to Alexandria and you know what STEINER TIME

-----

How?
...I don't know! But we must do something!
Wait, I have an idea.

Simple minigame where you push in the direction the cage is moving to affect its momentum.

You start off having enough time to lean once per swing of the cage, but after a few swings you can do two and near the end even three. Not much to this one.

A couple groups of Alexandria soldiers will attack you on your way to escape. Nothing that Steiner can't handle.

MUSIC FADE OUT

Marcus was kinda dead weight anyway so it's cool.

Great timing!

Steiner! Is this Alexandria!?
What!? I have no time for your silly questions! I must escape this wretched dungeon of Alexandria and rescue the princess!

What are you talking about!? Enough with your nonsense!!!

We were just on the Red Rose, and we overheard Brahne talking. She said that once she returns to Alexandria, she is going to have Dagger executed.

Watch out. I'm closin' the gate.

What are you doing here?

Good luck! We'r gonna go find Dagger!

So this entire thing is timed. Thirty minutes is pretty generous, though there's a lot to explore and it's easy to get lost.

Alexandrian soldiers will chase you and get into fights with you if they catch you. As long as you keep moving though it'll rarely happen.

Even though we can explore Alexandria castle, there's really little to actually do. The major thing is a side-boss that's honestly better done later. I could probably take it now, but it's got some good steals that'll be easier to get later when we don't have a time limit and are a good bit stronger.

Also this.

Anyway, our destination is through the corridor where Zidane first met Dagger.

And straight down the hall to the queen's chamber.

It looks like this is a dead-end...

...but you know very drat well what that means.

The center platform rotates. It alternates from 180-degree spins and 90-degree spins.

We could've stolen this from Beatrix in the previous fight if I had more time. It turned out a moot point anyway since I dodged most the battles and Steiner still has other swords to learn abilities from.

This shockingly ice-elemental sword teaches Mental Break, which reduces an enemy's magic defense. It also has a 10% chance of inflicting Freeze, the "one physical hit instantly kills the enemy" status effect if Steiner has Add Status equipped. Not shabby.

Other than that, just making our way further down.

So meddlesome, you are! Mercy no more!

Today's bosses are Zorn and Thorn.

They're gimmicky. One will give the other magic power. Zorn gives Thorn flare power, and Thorn gives Zorn meteor power.

Thorn will then cast Light Flare, which hits for a decent chunk of damage (this one hits Steiner for 300HP, despite Regen suggesting otherwise).

This is the only steal worth talking about. This rod boosts Dagger's spirit and teaches her Ability Up, Reflect, and Float. Handy to have!

To neutralize the clowns, hit the one with magic power with a physical attack.

Zorn's Meteorite attack hits the entire party for decent damage.

The battle ends when you get one of the clowns down to low-enough HP. Thorn has lesser HP so he's the better target, but I did Zorn not knowing this just fine.

Matters not to us. Finished wtih Garnet, we are.

FADE TO SILENCE

Dagger!!!

Oh, no...

NOOOOO!!!

Yeah. I know...

Dagger, you're gonna be alright.

-----

I can't stop. Hold on, Bro. I'm coming.

And with that, I'll end the update here. Yeah, it's a little short, but the next update is so action-packed that this really is the best place to end.

Next time, chaos ensues.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I prefer to do the side-boss now, honestly. Thirty minutes is more than enough time to get all of its steals and kill it. I usually had about six or so minutes left for Zorn and Thorn, as I recall.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'Rose of May' is a really great track.

The track's title was also often mistranslated as 'Loss of Me'. Which strangely still fits thematically, I guess. Especially in this scene.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
The side boss' steals aren't that great, but the real prize is the loot you get from beating it. One or two of the skills you pick up there can't be learned elsewhere for another disc.

Also the side boss is rather simple if you grab the Ice Brand for Steiner, he'll pump out some serious damage and he also has access to one of the best ways to game the boss' pattern.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also interesting to note that they could see what was going on from the telepod. Meaning it isn't instant transportation.

Also Brahne you've kind of gone off the deep end here.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:allears: Rose of May. It still gets me a little emotional.

And yeah, I've always done the side-boss now. It shouldn't be a huge deal though.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
One has to wonder just how much of Brahne's choice to execute Garnet is from Kuja's (supposed) influence and how much is her own personality. It's just so pointlessly cruel and evil, especially for a mother to do to her own daughter.

Then again, summoning Odin on Cleyra fit that description perfectly well too. Brahne has passed into complete monster territory now.

Personally I like to wait for this optional boss. It has four steals (which means one of them is a 1/256 steal), and I'm the type that likes to nab every steal I can. Plus the ability from the reward you get for beating him really isn't that great at this point; it's expensive as hell and is best used in conjunction with another ability that only one character is going to have for the longest time.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Pureauthor posted:

'Rose of May' is a really great track.

The track's title was also often mistranslated as 'Loss of Me'. Which strangely still fits thematically, I guess. Especially in this scene.

To the point it's probably one of those cases where the pun is intentional, really.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Since this song has cropped up, really tempted to link to a great lyrical arrangement. I don't' think there's any spoilers in it, but there's another point where it'd be even better to link to it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Final Fantasy IX: I'M COMING

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Seems a little late to confirm this.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Marcus, you are a goddamn trooper.

Also, I love how Steiner continues to play the straight man even in the absence of a joke.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

GunnerJ posted:

Seems a little late to confirm this.

They can get the Black Mages to did through the rubble that was Cleyra otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Since this song has cropped up, really tempted to link to a great lyrical arrangement. I don't' think there's any spoilers in it, but there's another point where it'd be even better to link to it.

Probably won't really be fitting until after a certain sequence in Disk 3. I assume that's what you meant by "another point".

• Locked thread