Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'll allow it, only if it's also waterproofed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

6s was already somewhat waterproofed, so i imagine they'll be continuing along those linest

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i have yet to find a single person who doesn't react with shock and disgust when they hear that the next iphone will have no headphone jack

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the iphone sucks rear end and has bad software :thurman: Get out of YOSPOS iAilure poo poo-for-brains Idiots!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

why have speakers? bluetooth speakers exist. why have a power jack? wireless charging exists. why have a screen? airplay exists

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Smythe posted:

the iphone sucks rear end and has bad software :thurman: Get out of YOSPOS iAilure poo poo-for-brains Idiots!

it freaking stinks.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

GameCube posted:

why have speakers? bluetooth speakers exist. why have a power jack? wireless charging exists. why have a screen? airplay exists

You joke about this now, but just you wait sooner or later smartphones for millennials will have no microphone or speaker because nobody calls anyone anymore, it's all snapchat selfies and emojis

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

GameCube posted:

i have yet to find a single person who doesn't react with shock and disgust when they hear that the next iphone will have no headphone jack

I'm pumped the future rulez

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

triple sulk posted:

smythe do you know anything about the oneplus android phones. i kinda like the look but it's not stock. seems late to switch to nexus at this point. am i gonna have to use my crippled iphone 6 until the new models arrive???

i downgraded back to ios 9 because 10 beta was unusably bad in places

One Plus is for people who don't care about bad hardware if the software is ok.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

One Plus is for people who don't care about bad hardware if the software is ok.

the software is bad, too

you're thinking of nexuses

oneplus is for people who min/max spec sheets

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't really hear anyone complain about their smartphones anymore apple or otherwise

They pretty much all work just fine

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hahahaha eat poo poo tim you dongle craving accessories whore

jimmy iovine and dre are gearing up to destroy apple too

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
for real though, killing the headphone port is a REALLY bad idea and i'm curious to see how users handle it

we complain about stuff like the camera bulge, but those are all nitpicky nerd complaints - removing the headphone jack is a seriously huge thing that actually affects usability

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 11, 2016

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

there will be a lightning to 3.5mm adapter thing that you pop in the bottom and it will be fine

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

you're already plugging a cable in to the thing. having a single universal port instead of two is better. stop having stupid thoughts.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

yeah a lot of idiots got really mad about the 30-pin to lightning change and that one was actually a good idea, this one could be a bloodbath

the snarky Samsung counter-ad writes itself

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

next up: phone made thinner by punching a little circular hole near the corner of the display to move the camera back a bit

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
oh boy time to change out adapters constantly on my phone. also not have the ability to listen to music through headphones while it's charging possibly

zen death robot posted:

also gently caress you

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

you're already plugging a cable in to the thing. having a single universal port instead of two is better. stop having stupid thoughts.

I'd be hard pressed to find a more universal port than 3.5mm audio. The phones are already too thin.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
even better, the 3.5mm jack is used for more than audio. for instance the lovely card swiper square uses

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Polo-Rican posted:

for real though, killing the headphone port is a REALLY bad idea and i'm curious to see how users handle it

we complain about stuff like the camera bulge, but those are all nitpicky nerd complaints - removing the headphone jack is a seriously huge thing that actually affects usability

Bluetooth earbuds, CarPlay and Bluetooth stereo receivers are mature products Join the 21st century grandpa.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 12, 2016

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

thinkin bout getting a 6p and joining my boi smythe

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Shillary posted:

Bluetooth earbuds, CarPlay and Bluetooth stereo receivers are mature products Join the 21st center grandpa.

what? i can't hear you over A2DP's garbage bitrate and audible artifacting

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
my headphones randomly disconnect and korn starts playing at 100% volume through the office floor

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

emoji posted:

I'd be hard pressed to find a more universal port than 3.5mm audio. The phones are already too thin.

if you put it on the bottom so all the cables are on the same side youre hogging up space that could be used for better/larger speaker drivers, put it on the top and you're spreading the ports all over for no good reason and messing with the layout of the internals. slapping a small 3.5mm to lightning adapter on to the end of your headphone cable is a good concession to make if it means retaining the form factor and improving embedded speaker performance

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shillary posted:

Bluetooth earbuds, CarPlay and Bluetooth stereo receivers are mature products Join the 21st center grandpa.

lol

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
can't wait for the future where listening to music privately requires yet another goddamned battery to charge

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

this is what it was like when apple removed the floppy disk drive. nerds will never stop being weirdly conservative and wrong about technology

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they keep making the phone thinner because that's the last thing steve jobs told them to do and nobody at apple can come up with an original thought

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

they keep making the phone thinner because that's the last thing steve jobs told them to do and nobody at apple can come up with an original thought

apple pay is a technical marvel that google and android never managed to do correctly

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Phoenixan posted:

oh boy time to change out adapters constantly on my phone. also not have the ability to listen to music through headphones while it's charging possibly

Yeah it's rare that i see someone sitting at a desk listening to headphones but not also charging. Hope you like carrying a lightning to 3.5 and a separate lightning to 3.5 with charge pass thru cables

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

"This is the dongle that shipped in box with my Apple device"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

Yeah it's rare that i see someone sitting at a desk listening to headphones but not also charging. Hope you like carrying a lightning to 3.5 and a separate lightning to 3.5 with charge pass thru cables

the official solution will be to plug the headphones into the computer and install itunes (lol) so you can make the computer into a dongle.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol if you think the adapter won't have a passthrough port for charging

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

zen death robot posted:

it's not being removed to improve anything

(conveniently forgets water resistance)

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
(conveniently forgets the water sensors that apple likes to put multiples of inside their devices)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Toady posted:

(conveniently forgets water resistance)

i have a big waterproof case that i use sometimes and it has a headphone jack that works fine for waterproof headphones. waterproofing a headphone jack is totally doable.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
let's not get too hasty here, i can see the advantages of not having a headphone jack with regards to waterproofing

you can't destroy a phone with water if it never leaves your house or car or even the store where you didn't buy it

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
lmao nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm looking forward to another $30 dongle that breaks after minimal use thanks to apple's legendary quality control and design

• Locked thread