Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

(like refusing to translate the word "Mother" in Magiranger for some reason)

this is literally a "nakama" thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
HK Subs talk:

I have a copy of Street Fighter II: The Movie with HK subs, and they get all the names wrong in amazing ways, or try to translate names into English where applicable. When Fei Long appears, the subs refer to him as "Fly Dragon". Sagat is "Shagert", and so on. At the end when the newspaper says "Shadaloo defeated! Interpol victorious!" (or something like that), the subs helpfully say "Interpol defeated! Shadaloo wins!"

You can kinda tell in a lot of places that the subtitle lines are like mangled versions of the English dub script, which makes the whole thing even more mysterious, since they apparently had the English dub kicking around to reference anyway.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
Might as well ask here. Anyone know where I can get high res shots of the cards that appear in Decade? I'm trying to get a Decade cosplay going.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Ultraman Orb 1 is up.

Garo Season 1 HD is also going to be a thing. Something something TNG remaster something.

Also is this the right thread to talk about Butchy Gen's Wuxia Puppets Show? Because it feels like a toku with puppets and chuunis :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignis posted:

Ultraman Orb 1 is up.

Garo Season 1 HD is also going to be a thing. Something something TNG remaster something.

Also is this the right thread to talk about Butchy Gen's Wuxia Puppets Show? Because it feels like a toku with puppets and chuunis :v:

I don't see why not

Thunderbirds helped inspire UltraSeven one of the best toku ever made and that was a puppet show

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
I like that they're straying a bit from the formula with orb, I hope his support team continue to be a bunch of chucklebuggers with handcams and duct-taped inventions.
its pretty funny to see a expensive-rear end Microsoft surface tablet mounted to the weather machine made out of pvc pipe.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is the CGI on Garo season 1 being touched up as well? Or are the effects still going to look the same just nicer

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
So I finished amazons, and I really like it overall. But it feels like a show that for a bunch of hasty rewrites in the back half when they realize they had a season 2. Is that just me?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
who wants to see the whale mech and the final combo?

and the mech forms were going so well till now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mateo360 posted:

How ridiculous

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

jivjov posted:

How ridiculous

its incredible

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I want to see Whale Zyuman fighting alongside the mech, but being like 40 stories tall is just his regular size.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Does that whale mech have a loving harpoon launcher?

Presumably for scientific research.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also it looks like Bird Kusaka might end up becoming a Ranger after all, meet ZyuohBird:

Yeah, it's uninspired (being literally an Orange ZyuohEagle), but it's thematically appropriate at least and could be interesting. The scan also shows a new Cube Animal, CubeOctopus and Yamato's 2nd powerup, ZyuohWhale which looks better than Gorilla in pretty much every aspect.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 12, 2016

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

mateo360 posted:

Can it even walk? As in, I'm unsure if it rolls or if those are supposed to be functional legs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It looks like a shuffler to me

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I want the birdman to be the final boss so we can have a final battle with some goddamn fight choreography for once.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So today I wanted to talk about Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.

It's a sort of obscure purely American tokustatsu series based on a toyline produced by Mattel in 1987. It had an interesting gimmick and was incredibly ambitious, drawing from Metal Hero aesthetics while being a totally original entity.

At least it's the show I wanted to talk about.

And then I found episodes of the show I am going to be talking about.

So when showing a friend an episode of Captain Power, they thought the toyline might have been a laser tag set, which isn't inaccurate for reasons I'll cover later when I get back to CAPTAIN POWER AND THE SOLDIERS OF THE FUTURE. Strap in folks because we're going on the Burk's Wild Ride Of Obscure As gently caress Tokustatsu None Of You Care About as we tackle THE laser tag tokusatsu

PHOTON

Made in

Uh

198somethingorother

So let's start with a few things. First and foremost please do not wikipedia this poo poo. I did that when I first learned of the show years ago, and while the article now is slightly more informed than it was then, it's still pretty lovely and does not quite capture how loving crazy this show is. It also gets some things entirely wrong.

Like when it was made. Sources across the internet list the show as being made in 1984, 1985, 1986 and 1987. As there was only one season that aired for about 26 episodes without any breaks in between episodes or long pauses, this is quite impossible and, If I had to guess, the answer is most likely late 1986 to 1987 and I'll explain why later. It absolutely could not have been earlier.

So laser tag. It was a thing in the 80s. Popular enough to get laser arenas and the like and different brands. One of those brands was PHOTON, who either reached out to, or was approached by, DIC Entertainment to create a live action tokustasu series utilizing the skills of some former Super Sentai special effects artists to bring the show to life.

The story is simple as it is silly and 80s as gently caress. Main Character Dude is the best Photon player on Earth and gets recruited by an alien machine named Mother and a band of Photon Warriors to light Photon Crystals across the universe and stop the main villain and his henchmen from turning all the worlds to darkness and evil. His wacky team include a stego alien in some kind of a suit, a metal robot man, some random alien girl who just kinda isn't an alien and only wears a scarf on her face, a dumb kid whose super smart and a potato man.

The bad guys aren't worth talking about.

The plots could be maybe salvageable if it wasn't for the action scenes being

Well

Laser tag. The model work isn't the worst in the world, but this is Super Sentai on a shoe string budget more than usual so they're not great.

The worst part is teh fact that a lot of the non standard sets are models or miniatures that the main characters get chroma keyed onto. This was a low budget show that looked and felt low budget.

But you know Captain Power got a DVD release, so could this show right?

Oh my no.

Oh MY no.

No. This will never, ever see the light of day beyond VHS rips from TV from when it aired.

Why? Well that's what I had to bring it up for.

You see, within every episode of Photon, something strange happens.

Something inexplicable and unexplainable.

I promise you

I promise all of you- the uploader did not add what you're about to see. This is part of the show. This was intended to be there. This was designed. Watch this for a minute and you'll understand the sheer weirdness that is Photon. At least you'll begin to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqrTVq6ovo&t=477s

Yes friends, that is HIGHWAY TO THE DANGER ZONE playing across the 'epic' space battle in Photon the Laser Tag AmeriToku series.

And no! That was not the theme music for the space fights- in fact to the best of my knowledge that's the only time it plays!

That's not to say that's the only time actual music is played, oh no. Oh no, no no no. No.

Every episode has at least one song play during some kind of action scene I found out. AT LEAST one.

And they don't all come from the same year as the show as made either- Thriller plays during a fight scene in a later fight, and that was made years before.

That's not the weirdest thing though.

So later in this Highway to the Danger Zone episode

Whose plot is that there is a magic bullshit blackhole that's going to destroy the universe so the main character has to get into a dinky ship and fly into it to destroy it with plot stuff

A second song plays as the big epic SAVE THE WORLD FROM THE BLACK HOLE WHILE RISKING LIFE AND LIMB AND POTENTIALLY SACRIFICING YOURSELF scene goes on

You'd think they'd reuse Danger Zone since it'd be pretty perfect for that kinda 80s cheese

But that's a rational choice made by rational minds

No my friends

THIS is what they choose to play over the big climax of the episode-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqrTVq6ovo&t=1033s

I

Could not make this show up if I tried. I don't think I could comprehend how to make something as weird as this thing simply is.

I loving love tokusatsu and I loving love Photon.

This has been The Most Obscure Tokustasu ever that will NEVER be released on any kind of home media officially.

With your host Burk.

loving Christ Photon seriously what the hell

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That must've been expensive to keep licensing all those popular songs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That must've been expensive to keep licensing all those popular songs.

It's not even like they used them well. Of all the ones I've heard, Danger Zone is the most fitting for when it's used and I'm CERTAIN that it's on accident.

They also never reuse songs, which is just mind boggling.

I don't understand this show

I don't think I want to

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't the Mario Bros cartoon do that poo poo too? Maybe there was some kind of parent company rights sharing shenanigans going on with these shows.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

Didn't the Mario Bros cartoon do that poo poo too? Maybe there was some kind of parent company rights sharing shenanigans going on with these shows.

To add further to the weird blackhole that is Photon, and I am quoting straight from Wikipedia on this since I cannot confirm it personally-

"The Club Mario segments of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! included segments of Photon under the title Space Scout Theater."

DIC Entertainment, what the gently caress was up with you

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

To add further to the weird blackhole that is Photon, and I am quoting straight from Wikipedia on this since I cannot confirm it personally-

"The Club Mario segments of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! included segments of Photon under the title Space Scout Theater."

DIC Entertainment, what the gently caress was up with you

Ah, so there is a connection. Looking up those two songs... they are not on the same label at all. Nor do they share parent companies, what the hell?

Holy poo poo the Mario cartoon used an assload of licensed music: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mario_television_episodes Danger Zone was in an episode multiple episodes there too.

Maybe DIC had some kind of deal because they made children's programming? Maybe Captain Lou gave them some kind of friends in the industry poo poo via Cyndi Lauper? This is weird as poo poo.

Also since we're talking about DIC and Mario poo poo, I still say this is from a goddamned parallel universe and have a lot of trouble believing it actually existed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Koopa%27s_Kool_Kartoons

edit number 5000: please help I have fallen down an internet hole of terrible TV shows and who owns them. Spoilers, these guys: https://secure-content.dhxmedia.com/uploads/2015/12/DHX_Catalogue_2015-Final_Low_Res_Read.pdf Just look through that loving kids section, it's like a catalog of poo poo nobody remembers.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 12, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, I watched a lot of Saturday morning TV and knew how to read a TV Guide in 1985 even though I was three years old. (I actually remember the first season of Gummi Bears on NBC and have a stuffed Kissyfur somewhere at my Mom's). Never heard of Photon, it was definitely not on the OTA networks nor 1987+ Nickelodeon.

Looking at the production etc, it seems like the kind of thing that air on USA Network at an odd time or something. USA used to be a far-out-there network that would run something stupid like that. (And they also ran Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills during the MMPR craze, as if you needed any more proof.)

Tetsuo Katayama has a credit in the first episode, so it was made before DIC had a huge boardroom struggle between it's US and EU executives, made worse by Saban walking in and buying the whole DIC catalog to turn it over to the European guys who were wrestled out of the company. That outfit eventually sold it back to Saban to build up the smorgasbord of nonsense that Rupert Murdoch could own by buying the studio and renaming it Fox Kids Worldwide.

That means it's another one of those things Disney probably doesn't know that they own.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 12, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Photon is listed in that catalog I edited into my previous post, so it's owned by DHX media now. Which, looking at other stuff they've put out, it's probably more of a "we haven't gotten to this one yet" as opposed to a "we're never letting this out of the vault". They fuckin brought Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills back out already, so I don't see why they wouldn't do this one too eventually.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
TTAF has YouTube memes from the usual "abridged comedy anime" sources because Americans under 30 can remember it. I don't think 33 in today's days is old enough to remember Photon.

Okay what the gently caress

I just watched the Robert Palmer space escape. Did you just show me a shot of an old rear end HP Spectrum Analyzer Oscilloscope as the navigation to a spaceship?

That is even funnier than "Addicted To Love." That's like, they needed a special effect and one of the engineers was like "hey, I have this box that makes lights."

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 12, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ghost is still moving along with a Billy the Kid set of episodes and Kanon getting possessed by the Eyecon and a Pink Necrom showing up. I think that leaves an Edison and a Beethoven set of episodes to do (the former I'm not 100% on, but the latter I know they haven't done). The setup for the movie is starting too while they've temporarily dropped the multiple Makoto sub plot.

Also, it's a body switch plot and I hate those.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
two months since the last dynaman update, three since changeman/flashman

rip

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Literally The Worst posted:

rip

GUIS takes extended breaks sometimes. It's nothing new.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

TTAF has YouTube memes from the usual "abridged comedy anime" sources because Americans under 30 can remember it. I don't think 33 in today's days is old enough to remember Photon.

Okay what the gently caress

I just watched the Robert Palmer space escape. Did you just show me a shot of an old rear end HP Spectrum Analyzer Oscilloscope as the navigation to a spaceship?

That is even funnier than "Addicted To Love." That's like, they needed a special effect and one of the engineers was like "hey, I have this box that makes lights."

I loving love this show. It's awful dreck and I think it might be racist as hell, but Jesus Christ it's amazing and there's always more and more really awful insanity.

And then you get into the production behind it and it's just this never ending black hole of weird

rip

Man do you remember how long it took Bioman to get subbed start to finish? 3 months between episodes is a cakewalk.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Man do you remember how long it took Bioman to get subbed start to finish? 3 months between episodes is a cakewalk.

no because i just didnt care until bioman was done

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

no because i just didnt care until bioman was done

It'll get done as it gets done. Trust me on this.

Kamen Rider Stronger was worse, too.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

rip

I don't think Kamen Rider has had an update since January.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mikeycp posted:

I don't think Kamen Rider has had an update since January.

i long ago resigned myself to KIT never finishing anything

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So now that I've seen all of what Sentai and Kamen Rider have to offer (via what's been subbed and whatever raws I could find online), I'm thinking about giving the Ultraman series a try. Has every series been subbed in some fashion and which would be the best to start with? Also in terms of the older shows is the very first attempt at the franchise, Ultra Q worth checking out?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 13, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

So now that I've seen all of what Sentai and Kamen Rider have to offer (via what's been subbed and whatever raws I could find online), I'm thinking about giving the Ultraman series a try. What series would be the best to start with in that regard? Also in terms of the older shows is the very first attempt at the franchise, Ultra Q worth checking out?

YAY MY TIME TO SHINE

Okay so to start with the last question- Ultra Q is an anthology series, more or less, with a few reoccurring characters that stick around from episode to episode. Some episode plots are revisited in later episodes. For note- Ultra Q, Ultraman and UltraSeven are all up on Shout Factory's site for streaming, subbed.

Ultra Q however is almost nothing like the rest of the franchise, as the entire gimmick of Ultra Q is that every episode is a 24 minute monster movie, and some of them are directly comparable to monster movies of the era. Some episodes are really boring and one episode is loving nuts, but there are some good ones in there, and a fair number of the monsters in Ultra Q get reused in Ultraman, most of them as different characters. There is no Ultraman in Ultra Q.

I can make a short list of the best episodes to check out if you'd like, though if you don't really care for giant monster movies circa the mid 60s, there isn't too much of a point. Though catching the first episode is worth the time spent just because the monster is Godzilla with a turtle shell and horns glued on fighting a Rodan prop that has feathers glued on. Seriously.

From there, it depends heavily on what kind of show you want to see. If you don't mind the older shows, the original Ultraman is still pretty fantastic, though it's also got very little continuity, focusing on the mini scifi movie angle that Ultra Q had going on only with the addition of a, very murderous, super hero. I would recommend checking out the subtitled version on Shout Factory over the dub though. The dub would censor some of the more mature or challenging themes, and they butcher perhaps the best episode of the original series, My Home Is Earth.

UltraSeven is my personal favorite, but you should only give it a shot if you like Star Trek and want to see something like that but faster paced, and with a powerful super hero as the main character. It's pure sci-fi, unlike the Sci-Fi Fantasy of Ultraman, and is one of the most serious and mature of the franchise. Seven is my personal favorite Ultra hero, and is just as influential to the franchise as the original. UltraSeven also has two direct sequel series, UltraSeven Evolution which was a 94 to 2002 thing, though very few episodes of it are subbed and they're hard to come by, and UltraSeven X, the 40th anniversary series which only has TvN subs.

Return of Ultraman, Ultraman Ace and Ultraman Taro are all HK subs only if you can find them. None of them are great for your first series either.

Ultraman Leo is up on Crunchyroll, and is a pretty great series, but also very much a different thing all together. UltraSeven is the co-main character and mentor to Leo, who has to defend the Earth using more martial arts attacks than other heroes. It's got a darker tone, but not a more mature one, as random 70s goofiness invades every crevice of this series for better and worse. Over all it's an enjoyable show, but it was made at the peak of the Oil Crisis in Japan and their economic downfall, so the monsters and effects are cheaper than they have ever been, including in Ultra Q.

Ultraman 80 is also up on Crunchyroll, and it's... OK. It's a step backwards in the franchise but it works fine as a stand alone series. The interesting set up, that it's a teacher who is Ultraman, gets abandoned very early on and from then it's a very standard Ultraman series that varies from weird bullshit to trying really hard to ape UltraSeven's sci fi angle and failing.

Tiga and Dyna are not officially up subbed anywhere, though some unofficial subs for Tiga might still be floating around. Tiga's main sin is that it's the first Ultra series in over a decade and the coreography and effects are really stilted and slow. Everything just feels sluggish, but as your first series Tiga is not a bad choice, and if you pay attention, there is a Lovecraftian bent to a few of his more notable monsters and for good reason. The ultimate villain of Tiga is straight up a Great Old One.

Dyna does not have any complete subs that I am aware of sadly.

Gaia is up on Crunchyroll and is itself a stand alone series. It's one of the first to try and tackle an on going storyline and major themes to inform that storyline, and it's pretty drat fun and not a bad choice for your first. Just note that the show has a serious problem with cast bloat- there are about 20 characters at any given time and only 3 matter. The show is also afraid to go as far with the consequences of the episodes they present and often pulls back on those right at the finish line, so that's annoying. It's got some of the best looking monsters in the franchise though and is a really great series over all.

Ultraman Cosmos has HK subs and a not very good dub, and it's a child safe child friendly carebears Ultra series where the main hero fights in non violent ways and makes friends with his enemies. Think Fourze, but for preschoolers, and Foruze never really hits anyone, just pushes and redirects their attacks. It's also got 60+ episodes.

From here on every series is on Crunchyroll

Ultraman Nexus is a fantastic loving show and I love it to death. It's the most mature and serious of all of them, and is a really really REALLY well made series that got hosed over by the network. Despite that loving over, they stuck to their guns and, even with ten episodes cut off abruptly, ended it the best they could. It also stays true to the heart of what Ultraman is about, and has some really drat good writing in it. The only Rider series that compare with Nexus are Kuuga and Amazons, and Nexus tackles its issues and themes far more harshly. There is no backtracking with Nexus and it's a personal favorite.

Ultraman Max is an odd duck of a series. It is an anthology series through and through, celebrating the full history of the show without having any REAL continuity between episodes. Every episode is headed by a different famous director or writer. If you ever wanted to see the famous Japanese director Takashi Miike do two very different kinds of Tokusatsu episodes, this is your series. It almost works best to read what the episode is about and then try and watch it, because the main characters are all stock and 2D to allow the bevy of writers and directors to do their thing with the Ultraman formula. Due to this, Max has both some of the best episodes of the franchise, and some of the most forgettable. To really understand how strange Max is, watch episodes 15 and 16 back to back.

Ultraman Mebius was the Gokaiger/Decade of the Ultraman Franchise, the celebration of 40 years of Ultraman, and is unequivocally the best of those three at being a celebration. If you want a more modern Ultra series with a mix of on going storylines and stand alone MOTW, this is the perfect series to jump into so long as you don't mind the slightly lighter tone. All of the surviving original Ultra heroes, as Ultraman Taro's actor is no longer with us, get one episode each to show up through out the series, and themes and ideas from the history of the program play out, but never in a way that would confuse or alienate a newcomer. It's the perfect blend of celebration and moving forward, with a fantastic, and extremely Shonen, story. One fun trivia bit, the actor who plays Ultraman Mebius also plays his human alter ego.

Ultraman Ginga is next. Don't watch Ultraman Ginga.

Ultraman X is next. It's okay. If you're used to how Kamen Rider is nowadays, and Super Sentai, this might be your best introduction and you can try a more traditional series later.

And now we have Ultraman Orb. I have not watched it yet, but I'm hoping it's a better series than X was.

Also of note are the two Ultra Galaxy series, which if you can track down the subs for them, are pretty fun No Budget affairs. The first series is infinitely better than the second, where it kind of falls apart by the mid way point, but both are worth it if you want to see giant monsters beat the poo poo out of each other.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks. And yeah, a list of Ultra Q episodes worth checking out would be helpful as I'm probably going to watch every series eventually (I don't mind watching raws as I don't like leaving a series incomplete just because I ran out of subs, that's how I did it for some of the early Sentai and Rider shows as well). I don't care about spoilers so just so I'm aware, what exactly is wrong with Ultraman Ginga?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 13, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Episode 1- Defeat Gomess, is notable for having the dressed up Godzilla suit and Rodan prop. Also it's the first episode which tends to work out for watching.

Episode 2- In the same vein as the weirdness of the first episode, the monster here is another Toho kaiju repurposed as a new monster, King Kong from KK VS Godzilla!

Episode 5 and 14- Both work together, as the latter is effectively a sequel to the former, and both are just Ultra Q distilled to its truest form. They are mini Kaiju Movies through and through, with character arcs, plot twists, and, speaking frankly, more monster action in the latter one than you would some times get in an actual feature length production. If you love giant monster movies of the era, these are unmissable.

Episode 6- Everyone in this thread should watch episode 6. It's not GOOD, not by any stretch of the imagination, but it is drugs. It is drugs as hard as any drugs has ever drugged. Drugs is this episode. Just drugs.

Episode 10- This one is only notable because a monster from here returns in Ultraman X, but frankly he's so far removed from when he first appeared that I don't even know what the gently caress. This one isn't as insane as episode 6, which is the 60s personified into drug form, but it's clearly not made by a stable man.

Episode 13 and 16- These are special because they're similar to episodes 5 and 14, in being mini movies, but here the gimmick is that instead of a competent giant monster movie, they're about the least dangerous and least intimidating giant monster(s) ever seen in human history. Just, utterly worthless creatures. The only destruction that happens around them is when they trip and fall or when some one else blows up something near them. It is quite sad. This is also notable because the monster suit here would be repurposed for the monster Pigmon, who you will run into in the original Ultraman and Ultraman Max. Also I think he shows up once or twice in X.

Episode 18- Is entirely skippable really, it just features one theme that would be explored more thoroughly in Ultraman- How many times can we take Baragon's suit and turn it into a different monster!

Episode 20- It's Creature from the Black Lagoon, but 24 minutes long and in Japanese. The real notable thing is that this features the only Ultra Q monster that shows back up in Ultraman AS the same species- not the same guy exactly, but another member of his species comes back in Ultraman.

Episode 23- This is a much watch for personal reasons. It's another just straight up Kaiju Movie done in 24 minute ones, but here the kaiju in question is Oodako, the best obscure Toho kaiju ever made. Oodako has a very strange history. He has fought King Kong, Frankenstein's Monster, and the children of Frankenstein's Monster, and in other material he has fought alongside Godzilla and has been planned to make cameos including the 2004 Final Wars. And now he has his own adventure, renamed Sudar and that's all that changed. Unlike every other Toho kaiju that got brought over to Ultra Q, no attempt was made to change or alter Oodako. Finally, Oodako has his time to shine!

And that's really it for the most notable ones of the 26 episodes. If you want to take a gamble on other, more Twilight Zone-y episodes, you can.

loving christ episode 6 though. loving Christ.

EDIT-

Ultraman Ginga is just a worthless show.

Like, Ultraman Taro is bad. It looks ugly, it feels ugly, its story is poo poo, but it was made at a terrible time for Japan in general, and it did spawn some great monsters.

Ultraman Cosmos is Pre Schooler garbage. But if you don't mind that it's a unique enough series and it has nice monster suits. Just overly sweet and saccharine.

Ginga is terrible. Ginga is just, it's trying too hard to be like an Anime and like Sentai and Rider but it utterly fails at all of it.

Ginga S might get better? I haven't seen it.

Ginga is just...it's not as bad as Wizard, but that doesn't mean its worth watching. X does everything Ginga wanted to do but better in every way.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 13, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks, I'll probably also check out the last episode as well just for the sake of completion. Though due to how Ultra Q is set up does it really have an "ending" per se or does the show kind of just stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh My no. Ultra Q does not end.

In fact, one thing you'll be quick to discover- Ultra Q ran straight into Ultraman, and the opening of Ultraman shows this. Ultraman starts out with Ultra Q's opening before smashing into its own. Kind of like how episodes 1 and 2 of Kamen RIder V3 are episodes 99 and 100 of the original.

• Locked thread