Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Nightmare on Fury? I guess there's some kind of hack to ignore the 5GB VRAM limit in the menu.

+menu_advanced_AllowAllSettings 1, Afterburner says it tops-out at 3.9GB at it's most demanding, but Nightmare shadows are the only difference you can actually see compared to the texture cache. I'm also at 1920x1200, so I'd imagine it's a crapshoot when you leave the 1080p ballpark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hubis posted:

Just as a warning that you might want to examine your system for other issues, I have *never* had stability problems in Doom.

Boards are full of people having the crash to desktop issue, so much so that they added in more logging to the last update and are begging people to submit crash reports.

Everything else I do is rock solid, no issues playing anything else.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Those benchmarks are outdated, since there was an enormous boost to FPS in the AMD driver after the one used in that review (16.5.2.1 vs 16.5.2 in the review)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvWaE-3Aseg

My bad, I checked the release notes for 16.5.2 and they claim "Support for Doom" so I assumed that was the tuned driver.

Looking forward to proper comparisons on the Vulkan path, we really need more unbiased data-points for low-level APIs.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Hubis posted:

Just as a warning that you might want to examine your system for other issues, I have *never* had stability problems in Doom.

e: unless you mean you're on an AMD GPU? Because AMD OpenGL is a potential stability issue in itself, yeah.

It's an anecdote, but I never had any stability issues playing on my 290X in Doom.

repiv posted:

My bad, I checked the release notes for 16.5.2 and they claim "Support for Doom" so I assumed that was the tuned driver.

Looking forward to proper comparisons on the Vulkan path, we really need more unbiased data-points for low-level APIs.

Yeah, AMD did screw up by claiming to have a "game-ready" driver on launch day that wasn't actually ready. Took 'em a few days to release the newer version. Not ideal, but also not a huge deal in reality (although it leaves terrible benchmarks all over the place, which isn't much good for AMD).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 11, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

repiv posted:

It will be *hiiiilaariioouuss* if it really does turn out that the 480 gives comparable performance to the 1080 in Vulcan / dx12 games.

I mean it ain't gonna happen but

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hubis posted:

e: unless you mean you're on an AMD GPU? Because AMD OpenGL is a potential stability issue in itself, yeah.

He's not alone, I found DOOM kinda crashy on a 2500K / R9-290.

Edit: After thinking about it more, really crashy, and maybe DOOM is just finding bad memory or unstable overclocks for me? Maybe I'm due for a memtest and OC stability test, that 2500K is getting long in the tooth and the 290 that used to be OK at 1050MHz might want to be slower nowadays.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 11, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Tomb Raider released a patch with async compute

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/231481-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-async-compute-update-improves-performance-on-amd-hardware-flat-on-maxwell

Although they only tested the fury vs 980ti so far it seems, gains are similar to other async compute things.

They do mention that the 480 probably won't see these gains due to what theyve seen with other benchmarks, does anybody know why this is? They reference their own AOTS which shows just a 3% increase between DX11 and DX12+async compute,

Oh hey cool it's not the only DX 12 game that's slower than the 11 version anymore.

Lockback posted:

My Opinion. I have a XB270H (which was bought refurbed for $450) and a GTX 770(1070 coming tomorrow). While GSync helps somewhat over 60FPS the best use for it is when Frame rates start bouncing around from 35-60. Pre-GSync those bounces would be pretty noticable, now it feels like I have an artificial increase in FPS because those dips don't feel nearly as jarring. A game like XCOM2 (which is optimized like crap and really taxes my 2500K) immediately felt way better because the monitor just clocked itself down in the low 40s. If I play, like, CS GO or something (FPS in the 80s) it still feels better but not as dramatic as lower FPS.

Agreed. It's the demanding games where it makes the biggest difference (which is great). I can get down to 40 before things start feeling stuttery while I'd want to stay above 60 before, while above 60 there's less room to be smoother.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

For me, it's 3750k and GTX 1080 (though, it was going it with a GTX 970 prior to that).

It'll run fine for hours, but then randomly decide to puke back to the desktop. No rhyme or reason. It seems like if I switch up graphics settings after loading, it's more stable (change resolution and then change resolution back.). That's how i managed to get past one spot that always died on loading (it was after I completed a rune which was spectacularly maddening because it would die right before progress was saved.)

Every other stress test I've thrown at the system hasn't made it blink.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Vulkan DOOM on dual 760s (both 4GB) is basically "Yeah, time to upgrade."

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Am I supposed to be able to see antialiasing overrides like 16xQ CSAA and such in the NVidia control panel with the GTX 1070? According to some Youtube video for tweaking GTA V, this should be one of the options available, I however only see "2x", "4x" and "8x".

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Am I supposed to be able to see antialiasing overrides like 16xQ CSAA and such in the NVidia control panel with the GTX 1070? According to some Youtube video for tweaking GTA V, this should be one of the options available, I however only see "2x", "4x" and "8x".

I think they dropped the hardware support for CSAA starting with Maxwell. Try MFAA instead?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nvidia cut CSAA support from the 900 series, and I'd be surprised if it has returned with the 10 series.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Does Vulcan have the same degree of multi GPU support that directx12 does?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
MFAA seems to work and looks noticeably nicer.

For something else. This MSI card has the boost clock set to 1772 MHz, when running a game that pegs the GPU load at 99%, NVidia Inspector claims that it goes up to 1949 MHz. That normal, or NV Inspector being wrong?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not yet. You can open connections to multiple devices if you want, but there's no way to directly copy data between them or synchronize events between them so it's not very useful.

They intend to add full support comparable to DX12 in Vulkan 1.1.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

In the sense that it's down to the developer. I believe GPU hardware is abstracted away in a similar fashion, so that you can use many GPUs simultaneously on your workload. At the moment though I do not think Vulkan has mGPU support. I read it is a feature planned for the next major release.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

MFAA seems to work and looks noticeably nicer.

For something else. This MSI card has the boost clock set to 1772 MHz, when running a game that pegs the GPU load at 99%, NVidia Inspector claims that it goes up to 1949 MHz. That normal, or NV Inspector being wrong?
They generally go about 200MHz above boost clock.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://videocardz.com/62101/more-pictures-of-custom-radeon-rx-480-graphics-cards-emerge

More pictures and apparently the Sapphire 480 Nitro is "introduced" on the 13th? Whatever that means.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

bull3964 posted:

Boards are full of people having the crash to desktop issue, so much so that they added in more logging to the last update and are begging people to submit crash reports.

Everything else I do is rock solid, no issues playing anything else.

Yeah, interesting. Sounds like it might be a weird "whole config" bug I just personally haven't run into. Ain't PC gaming fun!

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
So in my limited testing of Vulkan on my GTX 1070, it works well in CPU limited situations. At 1080p I can see gains of nearly 25% in parts of the Argent pipeline area. Notable is CPU utilization is up about 20% across all threads on my i7 6700k. At 2880x1600, which I usually play at using DSR, I see basically little difference between OGL and Vulkan, with Vulkan seeing slightly lower minimum framerates.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
HardOCP has done some CrossFire testing of the RX 480. Basically, RX 480 in CFX performs slightly worse to slightly better than a GTX 1080, but with wildly inconsistent, higher average frame times. It beats the GTX 1070 is several games and loses in some because of vendor favorability in certain games. Example, RX 480 CFX beats 1070 by 20 FPS average in Tomb Raider DX12 at 4K, buy only matchs the 1070 in Witcher 3 at 4k.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/07/11/amd_radeon_rx_480_8gb_crossfire_review/1

Edit: Put 490 instead of 480 \/

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 11, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress is the RX 490?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Beautiful Ninja posted:

So in my limited testing of Vulkan on my GTX 1070, it works well in CPU limited situations. At 1080p I can see gains of nearly 25% in parts of the Argent pipeline area. Notable is CPU utilization is up about 20% across all threads on my i7 6700k. At 2880x1600, which I usually play at using DSR, I see basically little difference between OGL and Vulkan, with Vulkan seeing slightly lower minimum framerates.

TL;DR, higher highs, better multithreading?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

What the gently caress is the RX 490?

a typo

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

That's a lot of typos.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

TL;DR, higher highs, better multithreading?

Seems like it. Much like early Mantle, looks like the biggest jumps in performance will come with people on systems with beefy GPU's but mediocre CPU's. Saw a guy on Reddit who got up to 100% increase in performance with the totally unbalanced combination of a i7-920 and a Titan X - https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4sbeb8/doom_vulkan_update_offers_up_to_27_increase_in/d5845pf

In more balanced scenarios, you're probably looking at around 20% for Nvidia and maybe like 30% for AMD in CPU limited situations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme

One nice looking card!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO64zln8kNg

...Shame his FE is faster.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Ak Gara posted:

One nice looking card!

:wtc: look at that loving thing

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

:wtc: look at that loving thing

Sad (or ironic) that it doesn't overclock any better than other 1080s. Certainly not worth the cost unless this is a going in a system that the owner won't manually oc and price isn't an issue.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

How quiet can you make that giant thing for a decent temp though?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

How quiet can you make that giant thing for a decent temp though?

In the vid he said while stress testing the fans would turn on then turn off when it got cool enough. I mean that's pretty sweet but its as fat as a literal brick

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Using Vulkan in DOOM is about 10 FPS lower for me.

All settings maxed plus Nightmare enabled
GTX 1070 @ 2075 MHz
368.69 drivers
i5 4670k (currently not OCd)
1440p 165Hz G-Sync

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

In the vid he said while stress testing the fans would turn on then turn off when it got cool enough. I mean that's pretty sweet but its as fat as a literal brick

Wait, turning off during stress testing? Hot drat, all they need is one with a short PCB for better noise and cooling and I'd be all over it.

Why do I have to like the really stupid cooling setups?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

KingKapalone posted:

Using Vulkan in DOOM is about 10 FPS lower for me.

All settings maxed plus Nightmare enabled
GTX 1070 @ 2075 MHz
368.69 drivers
i5 4670k (currently not OCd)
1440p 165Hz G-Sync

I'm seeing a jump from 50-60 fps up to 70-90 FPS with the RX 480, @ 2560 x 1440.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Vulkan *has* to be biased towards AMD, by virtue of being built upon Mantle's bones, right? Isn't that to be expected? Or is the delta just way too large?

Ak Gara posted:

One nice looking card!

:wtc: Did Zotac just say, "Well, we made this cooler anticpating another 28nm chip... sure would be a waste if we never used it!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Vulkan *has* to be biased towards AMD, by virtue of being built upon Mantle's bones, right? Isn't that to be expected? Or is the delta just way too large?

I think it's just that AMD cards have better asynchronous compute capability right now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yay, I just got my XFX RX 480 in the mail, installed it and downloaded more ram :toot:

Does anyone have a good setup for Wattman? Something like a sight undervolt / overclock curve?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The biggest reason for the huge FPS jump in DOOM is because AMD's OpenGL support was godawful and had huge CPU overhead. Vulkan cut the CPU overhead way down for everything, which ends up being a large boost for AMD cards but also a large boost for anything NVIDIA + lovely CPU. The link Beautiful Ninja posted above shows a great example, where a TitanX + i7-920 gets double the FPS under Vulkan.

And yea, NVIDIA seems to have lovely async support right now even on the 1070/1080, but who knows how that will turn out down the line. If AMD releases a high end card later this year that competes with the 1080 but has similar gains under DX12/Vulkan they could be in a pretty amazing place performance wise for those games.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's just a catchy name for OpenGL 5 to run away from decades of clutter, proprietary hacks and bad word of mouth.
How much studios are gonna use AMD's donated code, impossible to know. So far only 2 Gaming Evolved games (Warhammer and that crappy rts) use the fabled async, and you can bet your rear end they had engineers on site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I think it's just that AMD cards have better asynchronous compute capability right now.

It seems that way, but it could also be that AMD's OpenGL support in their drivers has been lovely, so removing overhead by swapping to Vulkan produces bigger gains.

Also, according to a dev tweet async compute is only enabled in two cases right now: no AA at all (AA set to off in the menus), or TSSAA. All other forms of AA in the game (FXAA, etc.) disable async entirely. He mentioned they're going to add support for more AA options in Vulkan in the future.