Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

fade5 posted:

Optics? Where we're going we don't need optics:

Yes you are reading that right, Republicans want a repeal of no-fault divorce.

At long last, the hour of Representative Daniel Webster has come!

It was his quixotic crusade in the Florida legislature, and he's only dialed it down a bit in the federal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Talking about Roger Ailes so soon?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hey it turns out if you assume the police aren't lying there is no racial imbalance in police abusing the citizenry

https://www.theguardian.com/news/reality-check/2016/jul/11/study-finds-no-racial-bias-police-shootings-data?CMP=fb_gu

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The RNC platform concerning date rape will be the allotment of aspirin to every woman to hold between their knees.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

emdash posted:

Sanders/Clinton joint rally coming Tues, expected to be his official endorsement

S4p is predictably, hilariously angry

https://twitter.com/CahnEmily/status/752470379675942916

S4P crazies are going to be Freep regulars by the end beginning of Hilary's first term.

Cythereal posted:

Right wing types who love the Punisher tend to overlook that a major part of most Punisher stories is that Frank Castle is not a good guy and it really loving sucks to be him.

Daredevil S2 was pretty good about showing that. The scene in the Diner where he talks about his wife was especially good at showing how broken and empty he felt.

Yoshifan823 posted:

In "Steve King is Terrible" news, Steve King is terrible and has a confederate flag on his desk. What did you have to say about the confederate flag when you were defending the right to display it, Congressman King?

(it should also be noted that Iowa was a Union state, so it's not even a matter of the history of the state. Steve King Is Terrible.)

I'm glad Germany passed a bunch of anti-Nazi laws and the US would've been better off passing anti-CSA amendments similarly outlawing all their iconography outside of a "these people were loving monsters" historical context.

The cop who shot him is going to walk. "I thought they were a robbery suspect and fired because they went for a gun" is a better argument than Rice's shooter, or some others, made before getting off.

Cops who like to pretend they're Judge Dredd should get their wish, complete with the extremely severe punishments Street Judges face for even minor law violations.

exploding mummy posted:

Well considering that he's a paraplegic because a tree fell on him and crushed his spine and internal organs when he was jogging, and he apparently burned his lower legs which he has limited motor control over...

You might want to join the Republican party

The world would be better off if the tree had killed him.

Internet Webguy posted:

In non-regressive platform news: Green party's Jill Stein invites Bernie Sanders to take over ticket

Seems to me like a terrible idea to split the vote but it really is the only option that Bernie has 3rd party-wise. If he really wants to burn all his bridges with the DNC, this is definitely the thing to do.

Jill Stein might not be regressive (except on subjects like medicine and energy...) but she's still a crazy rear end in a top hat and she's extra spiteful this election season because Clinton is the first credible female candidate for president and she isn't, then Sanders went and stole all her progressive thunder on top of it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The RNC platform concerning date rape will be the allotment of aspirin to every woman to hold between their knees.

This will be quietly dropped after the delegate who put it forward is removed for acting sympathetic to Obamacare

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nonsense, the RNC has made it very clear they don't want to pay for women's drugs

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Evil Fluffy posted:

The world would be better off if the tree had killed him.

Governor Dan Patrick. :cthulhu:

Actually, since the ltgov is usually more powerful, Perry notwithstanding, that may be plausible.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Here's an interesting article in the Atlantic about the "atomization" of American politics. I disagree with the author's conclusion that the cure for the current inadequacy of American government is to strengthen parties again, but it's an interesting read and brings up some good points. I was wondering about you guys's perspectives on this?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Go ahead and outlaw abortion, parents will instead opt to pray away their newborn's hunger.

RELIGIOUS LIBERTY!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It was his quixotic crusade in the Florida legislature, and he's only dialed it down a bit in the federal.

Just a reminder that Daniel Webster came in third place on the recent House Speaker ballot, garnering 9 votes from members of the House Freedom Caucus.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

so who's got the stream links for those of us that don't have cable?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Horrifying, but not surprising to be honest:

https://twitter.com/nathanguttman/status/752623618719383552

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 12, 2016

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not all heroes wear capes

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Xanderkish posted:

Fusion.com: How Bernie Sanders lost black voters

What are y'all's thoughts on this? It seems to be reiterating a lot of what I've been hearing about Bernie Sanders' campaign re: black voters. It also talks about the arguments that black people weren't as familiar with Bernie Sanders, and discusses the reasons black supporters went to Hillary despite her superpredators comments and the 1994 crime bill. Didn't know Sanders didn't support reparations, though.

This article is a big load of bullshit: http://www.carlbeijer.com/2016/07/what-sanders-black-staffers-actually.html

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/752465633774821376

quote:

Terrell Starr has published a new article aspiring to explain How Bernie Sanders lost black voters. As he explains elsewhere, what's "new" about this piece "is that [Sanders'] own former black staff is critiquing his campaign." Specifically, the article is built around quotes from two staffers who are willing to go on record: deputy director for African-American outreach Roy Tatum and National HBCU Outreach Director Danny Glover.

Read through Starr's article, however, and you'll notice how little of its critique actually comes from Team Sanders. Tatum insists that Sanders was "sincere to the core" in his outreach to black voters, and that campaign leaders simply "didn't have confidence" he could win them from Clinton - but this was always conventional wisdom during the primaries, and reads like pessimism rather than criticism.

The rest is just Tatum and Glover explaining how that assessment predictably dictated spending priorities. Tatum says "his department was underfunded" and that they had to go through "hoops to get resources"; Glover, meanwhile, says there "wasn't enough money" to continue their HBCU tour after February, and adds that "they didn't put as many people behind it as they should have."

That's it. That last "should have" is as close as Starr ever gets in this article to what's ostensibly new about it: black staffers going on-record to criticize the campaign. And among black campaign staffers he can't even find consensus on that modest critique; later in the article, national press secretary Symone Sanders insists that "as a person who was there on the ground, I can tell you that the campaign had a staunch commitment to reaching out to communities of color."

For the thousandth time, I am tired, as a black person, of being used as a cudgel against Bernie Sanders

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Just a reminder that Daniel Webster came in third place on the recent House Speaker ballot, garnering 9 votes from members of the House Freedom Caucus.

Knowing the HFC, I'm just as likely to believe that those votes were for for the early 19th century Daniel Webster, who did, after all, protect the rights of innocent little corporations from government overreach.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Every time I hear this joke it just feels like the teller is admitting they are really poo poo at sexing. There's lots of closed legs positions :confused:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

FourLeaf posted:

This article is a big load of bullshit

It overstates its case, but the main point (that Sanders didn't spend enough time, money, or energy reaching out to black voters) isn't even contested by your refutation, just the stronger (and dumber) points about white privilege and poo poo.

And whether you like it or not, the failure of the Sanders campaign to woo black voters into a coalition with his base of white liberals and anti-establishment populists is essentially the entire reason he lost, and therefore you'll be seeing thinkpieces about why the campaign failed to do so until people forget about Sanders entirely.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 12, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It seemed to me like Sanders kept going after black "celebrities" for lack of a better term. Well known black academics, rappers, families of police violence victims, he seemed like he actually racked up a lot of these types of endorsements. None of these people were particularly actually famous though or super influential.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Quorum posted:

It overstates its case, but the main point (that Sanders didn't spend enough time, money, or energy reaching out to black voters) isn't even contested by your refutation, just the stronger (and dumber) points about white privilege and poo poo.

Fine. I will step back and say that the article has a severe case of 'dramatic headline not backed up by actual content'. The author conflates his own opinions about Bernie's white privilege with the facts presented by actual Sanders staffers regarding the campaign's funds and time limits. It's extremely dishonest.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FourLeaf posted:

Fine. I will step back and say that the article has a severe case of 'dramatic headline not backed up by actual content'. The author conflates his own opinions about Bernie's white privilege with the facts presented by actual Sanders staffers regarding the campaign's funds and time limits. It's extremely dishonest.

So you would disagree with the statement that, given limited time and funding, the Sanders campaign chose not to make black voters a priority?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Is the part about the visit to the HBCU accurate?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Exit polls showed that the Clinton / Sanders divide among minority populations was generational, as it was with white voters. The Clinton campaign did a better job organizing GOTV, especially in states with larger minority populations which had their primaries earlier in the cycle and where they knew they'd need to build GE offices, while the Sanders campaign focused on the front loaded contests. The Democrats' ability to turn out younger minority voters is even worse than with younger white voters, whereas they have some established networks targeting older voters, like Souls to the Polls.

This strategy ending up dooming Sanders on Super Tuesday, but if he'd put money and staff into that instead of competing in IA and NH would he have even made it to Super Tuesday or having the fundraising to continue into the Spring? At the end of the day, there weren't as many Democrats who could be convinced to vote for Bernie as there were Democrats who were pre-disposed to vote for Hillary, which is why he did not win the primary. This isn't exactly shocking.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kalman posted:

So you would disagree with the statement that, given limited time and funding, the Sanders campaign chose not to make black voters a priority?

I mean I think it's observable fact that that's true, between general weak outreach and just pure pandering like using Killer Mike as a glorified liaison for the press for a bit before near instantly dumping him once the south was over it was pretty clear minority outreach in general was second to the ~revolution~ as Sanders saw it.

It's not exactly new, you have stuff from black activists in VT saying more or less the same, Sanders has a very clear in his mind view of revolution, anything else is a distraction, and when that comes to conflict with minority issues it creates a very uncomfortable situation where it seems he doesn't care as much about their issues. I don't doubt he genuinely cares very much but constant pivots to 'but lemmie tell you about the real problem, Wall Street' feels dismissive to many.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Internet Webguy posted:

In non-regressive platform news: Green party's Jill Stein invites Bernie Sanders to take over ticket

Seems to me like a terrible idea to split the vote but it really is the only option that Bernie has 3rd party-wise. If he really wants to burn all his bridges with the DNC, this is definitely the thing to do.

This is a loving awful idea.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Bernie and the Greens would get delende ested so hard if he did this that neither would exist anymore politically by the time his plane touched down in California or wherever the Greens are based

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Bernie has also, as far as I know, confirmed that he's not running third party.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Magres posted:

Bernie has also, as far as I know, confirmed that he's not running third party.

And is endorsing Hillary tomorrow.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

i also support transitioning trans kids before puberty

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GreyjoyBastard posted:

One Man and One Woman, Now and Forever, One and Inseperable.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Joementum posted:

Exit polls showed that the Clinton / Sanders divide among minority populations was generational, as it was with white voters. The Clinton campaign did a better job organizing GOTV, especially in states with larger minority populations which had their primaries earlier in the cycle and where they knew they'd need to build GE offices, while the Sanders campaign focused on the front loaded contests. The Democrats' ability to turn out younger minority voters is even worse than with younger white voters, whereas they have some established networks targeting older voters, like Souls to the Polls.

This strategy ending up dooming Sanders on Super Tuesday, but if he'd put money and staff into that instead of competing in IA and NH would he have even made it to Super Tuesday or having the fundraising to continue into the Spring? At the end of the day, there weren't as many Democrats who could be convinced to vote for Bernie as there were Democrats who were pre-disposed to vote for Hillary, which is why he did not win the primary. This isn't exactly shocking.

While I think your analysis is more or less spot on, breaking it down such that voters are "convinced" to vote for Bernie but "predisposed" to vote for Hillary is some nonsense. People voted for the person they believed best represented their views and would do the best job implementing them, there's no evidence that this is any less true for old black churchgoers than for woke young white college kids.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Quorum posted:

While I think your analysis is more or less spot on, breaking it down such that voters are "convinced" to vote for Bernie but "predisposed" to vote for Hillary is some nonsense. People voted for the person they believed best represented their views and would do the best job implementing them, there's no evidence that this is any less true for old black churchgoers than for woke young white college kids.
I think this just refers to Bernie not being nearly as well known as the Hillz among that population (though he was not necessarily unknown, either).

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I say we start a movement where we destroy stuff we don't like. let's start with DC monuments and work outward

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I say we start a movement where we destroy stuff we don't like. let's start with DC monuments Heritage Foundation and work outward

Fixed.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nessus posted:

I think this just refers to Bernie not being nearly as well known as the Hillz among that population (though he was not necessarily unknown, either).

Yes, though among all populations. My guess is that the vast, vast majority of voters went into the primary predisposed to vote for Hillary - and will return to that position!

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Quorum posted:

And whether you like it or not, the failure of the Sanders campaign to woo black voters into a coalition with his base of white liberals and anti-establishment populists is essentially the entire reason he lost, and therefore you'll be seeing thinkpieces about why the campaign failed to do so until people forget about Sanders entirely.

"Whether I like it or not"? That's been obvious for months. I have no problem with articles examining why Bernie failed to get black votes, I would just appreciate it if the authors writing the articles could resist confusing the harassment they got from anonymous egg accounts on Twitter with what Bernie personally dictated his campaign strategy should be.

Kalman posted:

No. That's totally accurate.

I agree with this:

Joementum posted:

My hope is, since this primary has emphasized that a successful Democratic presidential nominee literally depends on black votes, that Hillary will do more for black people than Obama did. She owes us.

Quorum posted:

I really don't think that's an inaccurate way to describe it considering how racially polarized the parties are in the South, with the Democratic Party in many Southern states being majority black. Unsurprising how that could lead to a Southern Black Dem being more prepared to vote for well-known longtime Democrat Hillary Clinton, whereas they would need a great deal of evidence to vote for an Independent socialist from New England who only very recently joined the Democratic party.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

fade5 posted:

Optics? Where we're going we don't need optics:

Yes you are reading that right, Republicans want a repeal of no-fault divorce.

What's next? Bringing back miscegenation laws?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hollismason posted:

You expected something other than that from Jill Stein?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DrSunshine posted:

Here's an interesting article in the Atlantic about the "atomization" of American politics. I disagree with the author's conclusion that the cure for the current inadequacy of American government is to strengthen parties again, but it's an interesting read and brings up some good points. I was wondering about you guys's perspectives on this?

That article has come up in the thread before. It's well written but, almost all of the abuses and problems he identifies are associated with just one party; the GOP. Jonathan Chait in New York Magazine has a good review of the article and both articles should be read together. Personally, I think The Atlantic article exemplifies the absurd attempt of current journalism to always declare the truth somewhere in the middle when it's obvious that one party is just bug-gently caress crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I've been kind of reading the thread while in down times.

The last 1000+ posts seemed really... I don't know, odd I guess, when trying to discuss some of these racial tension issues with a couple from South Africa that I've been hopping around with the last few days.

I did hear a lot of similar arguments from both sides of the issue from multiple nationalities and I find that fascinating in a "human problem not US problem" sort of way. It does seem that as bad as it is currently, it can be so, so much worse yet. Anyway I hope when I get back not everone will have been shot :ohdear:

• Locked thread