Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
Caught up with all the manga I've been reading.
I've put off reading Vinland because I don't give a poo poo about vikings, but it's basically vagabond set in another place.
Tried to read the shogi manga but I just couldn't bring myself to care about the characters.
Any recommendations on what should I read? The only thing that I really dislike are stories that are sad just for the sake of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Er, apparently the 12th volume of Marchy Lion will be out on Sep 29, and there's a special edition which comes bundled with a Nishio Ishin (Bakemonogatari, Katanagatari, etc) collaboration novel called Tsubasa Lion. Wonder if this is Shaft-related.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ahiwattamplifier posted:

Caught up with all the manga I've been reading.
I've put off reading Vinland because I don't give a poo poo about vikings, but it's basically vagabond set in another place.
Tried to read the shogi manga but I just couldn't bring myself to care about the characters.
Any recommendations on what should I read? The only thing that I really dislike are stories that are sad just for the sake of it.

lmao read vinland saga you goober

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Vinland Saga goes way, way beyond just being a story about Vikings. It's very much a story about that entire time period and especially of Thorfinn, who is much more than Just a Viking.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its been a while since i read it since i'm waiting for it to finish but i'd like a full action series starting thorkell once it finished

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Glaucos

A 4 volume story about competitive free diving by the artist (but not writer) of Shamo. It's... forgettable. It's all fairly stereotyped, too, with a youth full of promise, the old past world champion that wants to train him as to have a new goal in life, the female doctor who is rational and cold, the opponent to beat, etc.
It doesn't do anything particular with the plot, there is no important drama beats, or romance, or comedy bits. It tries to put some mysticism about the ocean, the depths of the sea, freedom and origin of life, but it feels slapped on it.
The end part is disappointing with a twist that doesn't make a lot of sense, and the attempt of (end spoilers) bittersweet dramatic end feels flat, of course he dies diving, but his legacy continues as he got pregnant the only woman in the story the night before. Convenient!

The good part, the drawing

Pro: It's drawn by Shamo's artist.
Con: It's written by Shamo's artist.

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
Sorry, I meant it was like Vagabond as a compliment, Vinland Saga is one of the manga I've caught up with. The farming arc and the post angsty teen goofs were the things that reminded me of it. Bought the past three volumes that came out in my country because I SUPPORT THE AUTHORS

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, they made a seinen about Action Bastard

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Action-Kamen

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ahiwattamplifier posted:

Sorry, I meant it was like Vagabond as a compliment, Vinland Saga is one of the manga I've caught up with. The farming arc and the post angsty teen goofs were the things that reminded me of it. Bought the past three volumes that came out in my country because I SUPPORT THE AUTHORS

:yeah:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the last chapter of apocalypse no toride is out (46), being in limbo since october

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
New chapter of the little ladies and friendly animals: Hakumei to Mikochi

I saw it in this thread and started reading it because, dang, it is really cute.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I've read Ranman, by Katou Shinkichi, an artist who has an atypical art style. He has done previously National Quiz, Obrigado! or Baka to Gogh. Alas, I would way this is his weakest work I've read so far.
A good 2/3 of this single volume is composed of micro-stories. Micro because they are literally 4 pages each. You could say it's an exercise of minimalism and surrealism... but I would say the exercise failed, after reading them I only had indifference (except maybe 2 or 3, and it isn't like they were very good). The reality is that this is the type of work done in the interest of the artist, as he gets to draw lots of different cool things, instead of the interest of the reader.

A small sample of his art

http://i.imgur.com/moRQWJy.png

At least at the end there is a bit better, longer story, about a boy being rebel and growing up.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I remember really liking National Quiz (though I seem to remember it sputtering towards the end) so I'll have to check some more of the guy's work out.

Oh wait looking at this apparently I totally was reading and enjoying Baka to Gogh but I guess it stopped being scanned or whatever years ago. Completely forgot about that series. Guess the rest of the stuff he has are just short stories and one shots which I'm generally not as into with manga (except like Inio Asano and Jiro Matsumoto and I guess some of the stories in Happiness).

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Volume 11 of March Comes in Like a Lion

http://bato.to/reader#54476520288a5af0

Volume 12 comes out on Sep. 29th so no new chapters for a while.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Be careful if you read March Lion on Kissmanga; it looks like they uploaded 113 in place of 112 and forgot to upload 112 at all.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DoubleDonut posted:

Be careful if you read March Lion on Kissmanga; it looks like they uploaded 113 in place of 112 and forgot to upload 112 at all.

they just automatically leech from bato.to so a lot of times bato.to messes up the upload and even after they fix it, kissmanga will keep the broken versions.

I wish bato.to would do the full chapter view mode so I would have no reason to use kissmanga.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
well, there's also the fact that some series are just plain banned from batoto. or chapters take forever to get uploaded there relative to other sites. but there's not water marking so it's good for some things. also they get weird about tagging some times

Relin fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 11, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

nerdz posted:

they just automatically leech from bato.to so a lot of times bato.to messes up the upload and even after they fix it, kissmanga will keep the broken versions.

I wish bato.to would do the full chapter view mode so I would have no reason to use kissmanga.
I forget where but someone here posted a Grease Monkey script called "Manga Loader" which converts sites like bato.to into the kissmanga viewing format. Total game changer for me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I forget where but someone here posted a Grease Monkey script called "Manga Loader" which converts sites like bato.to into the kissmanga viewing format. Total game changer for me.

amazing

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Getting back to actually talking about Lion, Jesus Christ the imagery on this page. Powerful stuff.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 11, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man that is some remarkable restraint towards the dad.

This volume was so drat good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This new series has been updating on KM, and it's adorable and pretty funny for a 4koma series. It's good so far (4 chapters), it's a romcom where a boy goes out with a delinquent girl accidentally, from word go.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Koisuru-Yankee-Girl

The cover thumbnail on the main chapter page is of some other series apparently, the art styles are completely different.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've been rereading Chica Umino's other series Honey & Clover which is known for having a disappointing ending and 3-Gatsu's obviously better, but reading the former now, it was like a nice stepping stone for the latter. I really do like how she handles depicting relationships, the ups, the downs, the in between, the hilarity, and the heartbreaks... I love the maturity she has her main characters develop from initially being broken or highly immature people to people who are able to accept and move on and grow. I live for that stuff.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Unless the manga is appreciably different I remember the ending to H&C being pretty strong, at least in the anime.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

Unless the manga is appreciably different I remember the ending to H&C being pretty strong, at least in the anime.

Yeah, I liked the H&C anime ending as well.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The ending's pretty much the same, but I feel like there's some mixed reactions in regards to it? I'm personally fine with it too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also god drat Honey & Clover II aired literally a decade ago :corsair:

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

psyer posted:

Volume 11 of March Comes in Like a Lion

http://bato.to/reader#54476520288a5af0

Volume 12 comes out on Sep. 29th so no new chapters for a while.

Fuuuuuuuu, this series is so goddamn good. Also get rekt lovely dad!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chapter 3 of takako shimura's love buzz is out, wherein a female wrestler disappears only to reappear years later with a young daughter. I like the goofy disjointed nature to it, nobody says anything of major import really, there's no monologueing, but it still flows well anyways. I guess it's a 3 volume series, so it'll likely be a nice bit of fluff reading once it's all been scanlated.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Love-Buzz

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I started reading Ubel Blatt.

Someone get me off of Ubel Blatt because it's awful

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Ubel Blatt could have been a good if generic revenge story

Could have

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i regret ever liking ubel blatt. it is real bad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's really bad, but I like it in the same way I like bad 80s OVA. Like Genocyber.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

UB feels like someone read Berserk while furiously taking notes and then stopped reading when Golden Age started, feeling they'd seen everything they needed.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I've heard Ubel Blatt eventually becomes less of a Berserk ripoff but apparently that doesn't make it better.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the author of ubel blatt is rea~llllly weird about young boys in every single one of his works.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

this might be the worst manga I've picked up since like

Gate

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, ubel blatt has nice art. what it does with that art is another story, but it does have at least that much going for it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Maybe it gets better but it's super average where I am and the average style is dragged down pretty far by super weird composition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Wombs is cool. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/wombs-r19248