Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
drat Media Watch getting stuck into Catalyst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Steve Price is one of the worst people alive

Dastyari, Pauline Hanson, Larissa Waters and Xenophon nxt week on QandA

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I hadn't heard of Steve Price before but holy hell, he was god drat awful.

I'm so glad I don't watch much TV.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

:gas:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

He showed one (1) good opinion on the Project tonight when he spoke against greyhound racing. Then again that could've just been because Labor's come out in support (the fuckheads).

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

He showed one (1) good opinion on the Project tonight when he spoke against greyhound racing. Then again that could've just been because Labor's come out in support (the fuckheads).

99% chance this is the reason

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
When is Van Badham going to defend greyhound racing?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Coalition strategists had initially feared that re-establishing the Howard-era Australian Building and Construction Commission and setting up the Registered Organisations commission to monitor union governance, which provided the double dissolution trigger, would be more difficult because of the likely expansion of the Senate crossbench and the loss of about a dozen Coalition MPs in the lower house,

But government insiders now believe they may be able to lock in at least 112 of the 114 votes needed and, depending on the results in the two undecided lower house seats of Hindmarsh and Herbert and three Senate seats, the bills are a good chance to pass in a joint sitting.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

"Pauline Hanson: Text slabs from One Nation party policies lifted from internet, including Wikipedia posted:

Pauline Hanson's One Nation Party has copied slabs of text from the internet for some of its policies — including from Wikipedia.

Ms Hanson will this year return to Federal Parliament as a senator for Queensland after nearly two decades in the political wilderness.

During the campaign, Ms Hanson has called for a ban on Muslim immigration to Australia, a royal commission into Islam and a ban on new mosques.

One Nation picked up nearly one in ten Senate votes in QLD.

The party claims it could also win Senate seats in several other states.

But chunks of the party's policies on halal certification, sustainable development and medicinal cannabis have been copied off the internet.

One part of One Nation's policy on halal food — which links the religious blessing to terrorism financing — has been lifted from a right-wing American "battle tank, geared to fight a war" against the political left.

INFOGRAPHIC: FrontPage magazine on halal food.

INFOGRAPHIC: One Nation website on halal food.

Another section of the halal certification policy comes from the website of the Q Society — an anti-Islamic group which organised for controversial Dutch MP Geert Wilders to visit Australia in 2012.

INFOGRAPHIC: Q Society website on halal food.

INFOGRAPHIC: One Nation website on halal food.

Part of One Nation's position on the Agenda 21 international sustainable development agreement is almost identical to a five-year-old pamphlet from US group The John Birch Society.

INFOGRAPHIC: The John Birch Society pamphlet on Agenda 21.

INFOGRAPHIC: One Nation's position on Agenda 21.

A section of One Nation's medicinal cannabis plan is very similar to parts of a user-generated Wikipedia page on the subject.

The Wikipedia entry reads: "The ancient Egyptians used hemp (cannabis) in suppositories for relieving the pain of hemorrhoids [sic]."

"Surviving texts from ancient India confirm that cannabis' psychoactive properties were recognized, and doctors used it for treating a variety of illnesses and ailments, including insomnia, headaches, gastrointestinal disorders, and pain, including during childbirth," it says.

The One Nation website reads: "The ancient Egyptians used hemp (cannabis) in suppositories for relieving the pain of haemorrhoids ... In ancient India, doctors used it for treating a variety of illnesses and ailments, including insomnia, headaches, gastrointestinal disorders, and pain, including during childbirth."

One Nation has refused to comment.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Torture

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Xenophon at least is a genuine guy and Waters is always good

Too bad about Redhead Hitler and the Labor Youth though

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup

Jumpingmanjim posted:

When is Van Badham going to defend greyhound racing?

https://twitter.com/vanbadham/status/750989258727387136

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Redhead Hitler and the Labor Youth

amazing band name

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

https://twitter.com/vanbadham/status/751010053491073024

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Jonah Galtberg posted:

One Nation has refused to comment.

They are too busy running a thesaurus over their policy documents.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I'll never get tired of the Myspace angle on that profile pic :laugh:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

She's right, name one dog that got killed because of racing. You can't.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Hahahahaha

What a loving hack

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The rise of Pauline Hanson has been attributed to a growing backlash against a “democratic deficit” in all western societies as human rights are being distorted to favour minorities and silence the mainstream.

Hmmmm

In Australia, those most responsible for distorting human rights have been the Australian Human Rights Commission and publicly funded human rights legal centres, according to the report’s author, Peter Kurti, an Anglican minister and lawyer.

HMMMMMM

Mr Kurti, a research fellow with the Centre for Independent Studies

Oh.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/re...78364e13d0c9606
And of of course, Miranda Devine comes out swinging in favour of greyhound racing :downsbravo:
also holy poo poo that URL

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

wayne curr posted:

also holy poo poo that URL

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

*but not of labor policy

seriously is there a single labor policy that badham objects to?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I love it at the moment because the right is tearing itself apart over both Turnbull and Baird.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Steve Price is a nasty piece of work. Stephen Mayne from Crikey used to nick name him "The Poisoned Dwarf" when Price was on 3AW, and Price successfully sued him over that.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

That's not the job description of a political commentator!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Higsian posted:

My job isn't to have views of my own but to walk lockstep with my party of choice.

It must be a very easy world to live in when all you have to do is pick a party and then mindlessly agree with everything they say and do.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Higsian posted:

Critical is correct. Not cynical though. That's stupid.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Despite Van Badham being a terrible and unapologetic shill it was really good to see her tearing huge piece of poo poo Steve Price to pieces.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

hooman posted:

Despite Van Badham being a terrible and unapologetic shill it was really good to see her tearing huge piece of poo poo Steve Price to pieces.

I almost liked it more when she interrupted the 3 stooges a couple of times while they were giving Tanya a loving run-down on male dominance via yelling incoherently at her.

Brandis, Hinch, Price and even Jones are like the epitome of the men that "lead" this loving country through politicking like the fearful cowards that they are. No wonder we have so many disillusioned young boys and men, when this is the sort of poo poo you constantly see from your superiors in all forms of media.

Polarising figures aren't going to change, I guess all we can do is wait until something horrible is said so we can shake our heads, and move on awaiting the next belittling and disrespectful comment.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Lid posted:

Media Watch and the ABC never did get back to me on that shockingly biased loveletter to Roger Rogerson.

That letter could only have been ironic, every single Rogerson quote made him sound like a psychopath.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Lid posted:

Media Watch and the ABC never did get back to me on that shockingly biased loveletter to Roger Rogerson.

Link?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

It really is amazing that someone probably sat down and did this photo editing for money.

Probably for the first time on an opinion piece the comments didn't immediately make me want to kill myself, everyone calling her out.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Zenithe posted:

It really is amazing that someone probably sat down and did this photo editing for money.

I wish.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
On greyhound racing, gently caress em, shut it down.

But let's make sure the tracks continue to be public use, not a public space in the middle of a massive apartment complex.

But more importantly, a bunch of people will lose their jobs out of this, some of whom are part of the problem, many of whom did the right way of training their dogs and looked after them. Dog racing isn't horse racing, the people involved aren't rich and they're not doing this as a bit of a side gig because they have more money than they know what to do with. The trainers etc. who lose their sole source of income, for some they are too old to retrain for other jobs, they're the ones who need to be looked after. Do I trust the Libs in NSW to look after this? No, no I don't.

Shut the industry down, but for fucks sake don't believe your own hype that everyone involved is scum and shouldn't be looked after. The ones who were breaking the law, gently caress em, for everyone else, let's make sure they're looked after and assistance is provided in finding new employment or training.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
That's far too sensible

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There is a good chance Cat Hat will get the twelfth NSW Senate Seat (and a Fred Nile acolyte might of he doesn't).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

EvilElmo posted:

On greyhound racing, gently caress em, shut it down.

But let's make sure the tracks continue to be public use, not a public space in the middle of a massive apartment complex.

But more importantly, a bunch of people will lose their jobs out of this, some of whom are part of the problem, many of whom did the right way of training their dogs and looked after them. Dog racing isn't horse racing, the people involved aren't rich and they're not doing this as a bit of a side gig because they have more money than they know what to do with. The trainers etc. who lose their sole source of income, for some they are too old to retrain for other jobs, they're the ones who need to be looked after. Do I trust the Libs in NSW to look after this? No, no I don't.

Shut the industry down, but for fucks sake don't believe your own hype that everyone involved is scum and shouldn't be looked after. The ones who were breaking the law, gently caress em, for everyone else, let's make sure they're looked after and assistance is provided in finding new employment or training.

I agree, the thread consensus that everyone involved in the greyhound industry should be thrown out onto the street to starve to death is one step too far my friend.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

EvilElmo posted:

It's pretty light on detail but their transition website implies that at least something will be offered

quote:

http://www.racing.justice.nsw.gov.a...after1July2017?
Will there be support for greyhound racing related businesses who will no longer be viable after 1 July 2017?

The government is currently assessing the options to assist people with the transition.

In the interim, the NSW Department of Industry will work with participants in the greyhound racing industry to support transition including options for:
  • re-skilling of staff in businesses associated with the sector
  • provision of advice and support for small businesses.
I'd imagine it would follow the pattern of other industry adjustment schemes run by the NSW government and would have similar provisions to the fishing one from a few years ago.
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/commercial/reform/assistance-measures

[ Also the NSW government apparently publish reports in comic sans http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/286402/stevens-report.pdf ]

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EvilElmo posted:

Good Words

I completely agree.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-15/the-light-and-shade-of-roger-rogerson/7475700

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

Former NSW premier Kristina Keneally has launched a scathing attack on NSW Labor leader Luke Foley’s “captain’s call” to oppose a state ban on greyhound racing.

Ms Keneally lambasted the Opposition Leader’s move as “extraordinary” during a segment on Sky News on Monday.

“You know what, I just find that extraordinary. I nearly pulled my hair out today when I heard that press conference,” Ms Keneally said.

“I suspect this is a captain’s call from Luke Foley … I have been told that this did not go to cabinet.”

Ms Keneally, NSW premier from 2009 to 2011, criticised her successor for failing to capitalise on the federal party’s strong result in the state.

“He’s going to fight the 2019 election campaign on this issue. I mean, come on.

“I think people in New South Wales are a little more concerned about things like this recent budget or hospitals in Western Sydney [that] have not been funded.”

Mr Foley announced on Monday morning that his party would join with the Shooters Fishers and Farmers party and Christian Democrat Fred Nile to oppose the ban when it is put to the NSW Parliament in August, and would take the issue to the 2019 state election.

It is amazing how much better Keneally is now she isn't an Eddie Obeid stooge.

• Locked thread