Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

fade5 posted:

Optics? Where we're going we don't need optics:

Yes you are reading that right, Republicans want a repeal of no-fault divorce.

I really think that since they know they're gonna lose, they're going hardcore extremist (I mean even more so than usual) just to see what new horrors their base is willing to embrace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Quorum posted:

While I think your analysis is more or less spot on, breaking it down such that voters are "convinced" to vote for Bernie but "predisposed" to vote for Hillary is some nonsense. People voted for the person they believed best represented their views and would do the best job implementing them, there's no evidence that this is any less true for old black churchgoers than for woke young white college kids.

yeah, the methodist who has spent the past 20 years building a strong foundation in the southern democratic community, which happens to involve lots of black churches, didn't have any sort of advantage on the new england jew who they first heard about a couple of months ago

edit: this isn't a "LOL THE BLACKS WOULD'VE LIKED BERNIE BETTER IF THEY KNEW HIM" post. arkansas is hillary's home turf and is religious, so of course she had an advantage there.

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 12, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
CNN in a nutshell:

https://twitter.com/gaywonk/status/752576818515996672?lang=en

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FourLeaf posted:

I really think that since they know they're gonna lose, they're going hardcore extremist (I mean even more so than usual) just to see what new horrors their base is willing to embrace.

I doubt it since going full crazy town jeopardizes Congress.

Though it is the gop...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/752568208616484864?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

I doubt it since going full crazy town jeopardizes Congress.

Though it is the gop...

I don't think going crazy jeopardizes Congress when a GOP congressman's biggest threat is some Tea Party nutbag primarying him, not his opponent in the general

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Business Gorillas posted:

yeah, the methodist who has spent the past 20 years building a strong foundation in the southern democratic community, which happens to involve lots of black churches, didn't have any sort of advantage on the new england jew who they first heard about a couple of months ago

That's not what I said. Clinton went in with an advantage, no doubt, but it minimizes the GOTV effort on the part of her campaign, not to mention the reasons so many people voted for her in the first place, to portray it as somehow a victory "by default."

e: I mean, it's a minor quibble. I get the frustrations of Bernie partisans, Joementum included, at facing down the juggernaut of name rec and connections that was Clinton. But she earned that name rec and those connections, and they paid off. That's all.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FourLeaf posted:

I don't think going crazy jeopardizes Congress when a GOP congressman's biggest threat is some Tea Party nutbag primarying him, not his opponent in the general

Senates in play.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

whenever I see articles about 'tangentially related black person says common-sense thing!' I always want to say "Yes? And?"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
why won't black people do something about all this killing?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Quorum posted:

That's not what I said. Clinton went in with an advantage, no doubt, but it minimizes the GOTV effort on the part of her campaign, not to mention the reasons so many people voted for her in the first place, to portray it as somehow a victory "by default."

e: I mean, it's a minor quibble. I get the frustrations of Bernie partisans, Joementum included, at facing down the juggernaut of name rec and connections that was Clinton. But she earned that name rec and those connections, and they paid off. That's all.

since when is joementum a "bernie partisan"?

in one post you said "everyone actually made a fair and objective decision about who they thought would work best for them" but now you're saying "bernie got crushed under the massive inertia of the clinton campaign". it can't be both, which one is it?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Quorum posted:

I absolutely agree with this. After any election you get articles quoting staffers from the losing team saying, "Oh, if they'd only taken my advice we could have won" and you get articles quoting staffers from the winning campaign saying, "I'm so drat smart and my master strategy is why we won". And it's probably true that if Bernie had spent more resources in the South he could have picked up more of the black vote, but that would have come at the cost of some of the attention he spent in the early primary states - and he came within a few coin flips of winning Iowa! He certainly made mistakes that could have been fixed here and there, but I think if you let Bernie play this election out Groundhog Day style over and over again this is close to as well as he'd be able to do.

1992 or so.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

And the transformation is complete. They are officially Fox News 2 now.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

in one post you said "everyone actually made a fair and objective decision about who they thought would work best for them" but now you're saying "bernie got crushed under the massive inertia of the clinton campaign". it can't be both, which one is it?

I'm sorry if I misrepresented anyone's position, I've always got a read on Joe that he's someone who really likes Bernie, not surprising since he's the junior VT senator! Partisan isn't an automatically bad word.

And those two positions are not inconsistent? Though I wouldn't describe Bernie as being "crushed" by the Clinton campaign's inertia, just ultimately unable to forge together enough demographic weight to defeat the Clinton campaign's appeal to the Obama coalition.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

This is all of the emotions.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey did anyone find a #squirtle? The #speaker would like to #gently caress a #boy

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Here's an interesting article in the Atlantic about the "atomization" of American politics. I disagree with the author's conclusion that the cure for the current inadequacy of American government is to strengthen parties again, but it's an interesting read and brings up some good points. I was wondering about you guys's perspectives on this?

The cure is to instill a sense of ideological consciousness in the masses and promote an ideological mass movement. This guy wants to simply roll back democracy and make the de facto political elite we have permanently insulated from the pressures of public opinion

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It' not much different than Hillary's platform. Literally yesterday people were being shouted down as idiot Bernie Bros for criticizing the Dem platform's stated support for Israel and Zionism. I'm not sure why the Republican platform should be different in that regard

the two-state solution is a fantasy and has been arguably since it was first conceived in the 70s, for sure since the 90s

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Two State Solution at least pretends to treat the Palestinians as people. Forcing it in to a single state would pretty much guarantee Bibi ramps up the ethnic cleansing, or maybe they'd "only" treat Palestinians as second-class citizens.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

minority voters in the US tend to have a positive outlook on the future of the economy, rendering most of bernie's arguments moot.

If you combine that with name recognition, I don't think Bernie had much of a chance outside of utilizing a time machine.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Two State Solution at least pretends to treat the Palestinians as people. Forcing it in to a single state would pretty much guarantee Bibi ramps up the ethnic cleansing, or maybe they'd "only" treat Palestinians as second-class citizens.

Guess what, Israel and Palestine are already, in TYOOL 2016, de facto a single state, ethnic cleansing is continuing at a rapid pace, and Palestinians are treated as less than second class citizens

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CNNs strategy is to hire some of the most disgusting people in the country to troll their normal commentators for maximum clicks and profit. I don't understand how there hasn't been an internal revolt from the few good people left on that network.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The RNC platform concerning date rape will be the allotment of aspirin to every woman to hold between their knees.

:vince:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The surprising part is CNN somehow profits.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

The surprising part is CNN somehow profits.

Cable news has very low production costs.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FourLeaf posted:

No, they think they can win because they actually believe in the silent majority. Though they are worried that perhaps Trump has betrayed Conservatism too much even though he's up against the Liberal Demon, Hillary Clinton.

It's precisely because they've tied themselves to a shrinking and self radicalizing base that they're going hardcore extremist. It's not an active strategy, is the direct result of lazily resting on the Southern Strategy for too long. They want to expand outward and pick up all those sweet Latino voters, and young voters, and woman voters, but the crazy white rear end in a top hat racist base is both too large to ignore but too small to win.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

kaleedity posted:

minority voters in the US tend to have a positive outlook on the future of the economy, rendering most of bernie's arguments moot.

If you combine that with name recognition, I don't think Bernie had much of a chance outside of utilizing a time machine.

Minorities are at the bottom and can only go up. Whites are in free fall. That is why the views are different.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Minorities are at the bottom and can only go up. Whites are in free fall. That is why the views are different.

Sounds like the system works, to me

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
*whites think they're in free fall when they're largely on a quite reasonable glide path

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Free fall: might have to send McKaylay to public school.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

I think you mean government school

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Ha. Try a for-profit online high school, because the public schools have all been sold off to investors

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

rscott posted:

I think you mean government school

Yes this one. With minorities and poors.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Their mortality rate is increasing due to suicide, alcohol and drug abuse. I'd point out that this is a uniquely American problem, white people in other western nations are doing just fine.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I was talking more about the poor whites, but we could makes this about the suburban straw man.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Sarah Palin's former babysitter Nicole Wallace is interviewing Jeb! on noted hotbed of liberalism MSNBC and it's a showcase of two utter twits completely failing to understand why the riff raff have completely turned on them.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Am I the only one who can't wait until this ripoff artist dies

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

comes along bort posted:

Sarah Palin's former babysitter Nicole Wallace is interviewing Jeb! on noted hotbed of liberalism MSNBC and it's a showcase of two utter twits completely failing to understand why the riff raff have completely turned on them.

Suddenly it makes sense why MSNBC agreed to host them.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

comes along bort posted:

I hate the Bush family with all my heart and watching their simpering idiot bitch son squander hundreds of millions of dollars on a pathetic campaign of perpetual humiliation was utterly delicious to me. Imagine being such a loving failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mr Hootington posted:

I was talking more about the poor whites, but we could makes this about the suburban straw man.

Poor whites are hosed due to rising college costs, stagnant wages, and declining public education, and whatever else increases the gap.

I couldn't resist a sidetrack into making fun of suburban life for it is trash.

• Locked thread