Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The shakedown challenge is to see who can get to the other side of the mud bog behind Slung Blade's house the fastest.

Ignore the Alberta government sign warning that it is largely impassible and keep your speed up to skip the car across the meter-deep swamp in the middle of a cow pasture.

As guests, you guys can go first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Iceland shows the way!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MjySBPFCvw

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I am so excited for you guys, and you reminded me of the 2006 Mongol Rally, with the guy that made the run with his daihatsu charade, and I have found his old website in the Internet archive and will read it again, ten years later.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

angryrobots posted:

I am so excited for you guys, and you reminded me of the 2006 Mongol Rally, with the guy that made the run with his daihatsu charade, and I have found his old website in the Internet archive and will read it again, ten years later.

Both RX7s actually qualify for the Mongol Rally now that they've upped the engine displacement limit to 1200cc. I've considered it but shipping the car there and back would be brutal.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The RX7s should probably have a mild lift for the Mongol rally.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

And Rockwell axle conversions.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Time for some cosmetic poo poo, along with more junkyard parts.

BUY YOUR TOYOTA IN WETASKIWIN, WE USE PROFESSIONAL ZINC CASTINGS TO BRAND YOUR CAR FOREVER

UH OH

UH OH

t:mad:t

We found a car with two still-working parcel shelf hinge pins, wrong colour but you can't really notice once installed. So that's nice, at least that thing won't rattle around anymore.

And a replacement aerial. It sort of extends and retracts, which is better than the broken off one we got with the car. This one can actually receive radio signals.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Slung Blade posted:

And Rockwell axle conversions.

If my brother was able to do the mongol rally in a 1980 Toyota Starlet that I originally paid $250 for, the rx7 should be fine. I am still kicking myself for not making that trip with him.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So as I was coming home last night in the rain from working on the Celica, an xr4ti with ravaged panels on rusty Ford steelies pulled up along side me on Deerfoot and pinned it so hard his exhaust scraped, then he shot away into the horizon. I feel like it was a good omen for the event.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Where do you guys want to go for our planned first destination?

Nakusp is possible, but it's gonna be a slog, 8.5 hours of just driving. I'm sure we'll need at least 2-4 fuel stops, lunch break, etc.

Sure would be to nice relax in the springs after that kind of day though.

Creston or Nelson might be more realistic.

(I don't think we should bother planning our stops beyond the next day because poo poo's gonna happen)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I totally agree that each stop should be "winged" as opposed to planned. I'll consult the map from our kick-off meeting in January and see what we originally thought.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Nakusp owns hard plus it will give me a chance to terrify those same hippies again.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

who is updating the Twitter

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Slung Blade posted:

Where do you guys want to go for our planned first destination?

Nakusp is possible, but it's gonna be a slog, 8.5 hours of just driving. I'm sure we'll need at least 2-4 fuel stops, lunch break, etc.

Sure would be to nice relax in the springs after that kind of day though.

Creston or Nelson might be more realistic.

(I don't think we should bother planning our stops beyond the next day because poo poo's gonna happen)

Depending on your route, but assuming its via the Crowsnest, Ainsworth Hot Springs would be about 1.5-2 hours less than Nakusp and while I can't speak for the campgrounds the pools are (or at least were) really nice.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hmm, original route plan goes through creston to salmo and up to Nelson.

From there, it's 45 minutes to Aiinsworth, or ~2 hours to nakusp. We'd be backtracking a lot after leaving Aiinsworth the next day.

We could go north up the east side of Kootenay lake, take the ferry at Crawford bay and then to Aiinsworth, skipping the salmo leg. Then head south again and go through Nelson on our way west. No backtracking that way, but there is a ferry stop and we'd be cutting out a pretty big chunk of the route.

What's on that leg anyway, anything special on the creston/salmo/Nelson leg of highways 3&6? I forget if someone was advocating for that route, I'd hate to take it away if there was a reason we picked it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Where did you get the roof rack, by the way? I'm inspired to try something similar on the Datsun when I get it running properly.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Highway 3 & 6 were strongly recommended for us to take due to their entrainment value.

The roof basket is a rebranded Curt from Cabela's. When they go on sale they're $129.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

Highway 3 & 6 were strongly recommended for us to take due to their entrainment value.

The roof basket is a rebranded Curt from Cabela's. When they go on sale they're $129.

This one? http://www.cabelas.com/product/auto...2F104253480.uts

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

That's the one. Bastards, us Canadians don't get the extension.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

Like, for driving entertainment, or more like "holy gently caress I hear banjos" entertainment? :v:

Regardless, if you'd like to hit either of the springs, nakusp is open until 9:30, and Aiinsworth is open until 9. According to their respective websites at least. So we should arrive at 8/8:30 at the latest to take advantage.

I dunno man, this is your rodeo, should we try for one of them?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

who is updating the Twitter

We all have access to the account. I'd expect we'll all be using it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

highway 6 is good for driving entertainment, but you're going in july so it's going to be RVs everywhere anyways, especially around vernon/kelowna and there is nowhere to pass on 6

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Powershift posted:

highway 6 is good for driving entertainment, but you're going in july so it's going to be RVs everywhere anyways, especially around vernon/kelowna and there is nowhere to pass on 6

Good thing we all have robust cooling systems! :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

Good thing we all have robust cooling systems! :v:

That's a weird way to spell roast.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If anyone needs last-minute junkyard bits I'll be hitting the yards Wednesday or Thursday.
Couldn't get Saturday covered but if nothing major breaks this week I can still punch out for noon and head over (if that's cool). If I have to put a full day in it'll be more like 6 or 7 and a relatively short visit.
All the out-of-service chain was scrapped last month (dammit) and the only one that's gone into the pile since was goddamn 1/2", any significant/useful length of that stuff would seriously cut into your gear capacity (and just generally be a pain in the rear end to lug around) so I left it to rust.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This weekend is 50% off at Pick N Pull so you couldn't pay me to go near that place. It will be an orgy of violence and junkyard noobs the like of which have never been recorded since the last 50% off day.

Which yards are you hitting? I have some requests if you're going outside of 52nd and Barlow to other yards.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Don't have a particular yard in mind, need some truck stuff and GMT800s are everywhere.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Tommychu posted:

Couldn't get Saturday covered but if nothing major breaks this week I can still punch out for noon and head over (if that's cool).

Yeah of course man. Bring a lawn chair, we will be having a fire/cremation.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Celica air conditioner recharge is a no go. Compressor and drier have big leaks, can't get parts in time either.

:smith:

Anyone in the group have any food allergies?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Celica air conditioner recharge is a no go. Compressor and drier have big leaks, can't get parts in time either.

After the rally I'm gonna yank the compressor, check it out, and then probably reseal it and replace the dryer for $40 in parts instead of nine hundred and loving fifty Earth dollars.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

You could always find someone who's wrecking RVs, see if they've got a cheap working roof mount and forge your destiny with a sawzall, self-tappers and RTV...

e: V Precisely. Plus an A/C delete/relocation takes some load and air restriction off the apparently strained factory cooling system, bonus nachos.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 12, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tommychu posted:

You could always find someone who's wrecking RVs, see if they've got a cheap working roof mount and forge your destiny with a sawzall, self-tappers and RTV...

Arrive at the gates of Valhalla, shivery and cold!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

We'd have to mount an external electric generator to power the thing though.

That would be pretty metal, not gonna lie.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Who needs an RV AC unit?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

:smith:

Anyone in the group have any food allergies?

I'll eat anything I can shove in my gullet

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Find/build a swamp cooler

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Powershift posted:

Find/build a swamp cooler

I'm pretty sure Geirskogul made one for his Volkswagen out of a 5-gallon bucket.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Direct swamp coolers tend to induce a lot of humidity though (and if Toyotas love operating in any condition, it's high humidity lol) , and unless someone's got an intercooler or other efficient fluid heat exchanger kicking around an indirect swamp cooler is going to take a little more engineering than anyone has time for at this point I think.
E: Not to say that my idea is all that practical either, though installing a hitch on the Hellica and bolting a small genset to a trailer is not a time consuming process.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 13, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

Direct swamp coolers tend to induce a lot of humidity though (and if Toyotas love operating in any condition, it's high humidity lol) , and unless someone's got an intercooler or other efficient fluid heat exchanger kicking around an indirect swamp cooler is going to take a little more engineering than anyone has time for at this point I think.

To be fair if there was anyone you'd think would have intercoolers lying around it'd be me.

And I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you didn't put so much effort into making it so nice, you could just do a sawzall roadster.

• Locked thread