Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

DemeaninDemon posted:

Poor whites are hosed due to rising college costs, stagnant wages, and declining public education, and whatever else increases the gap.

I couldn't resist a sidetrack into making fun of suburban life for it is trash.

Yeah suburban middle-middle, upper-middle, and upper class whites of the have absolutely destroyed lower-middle and lower class whites of both parties. The middle-middle has taken some big hits too but are trying to pull up those ladders.

I'm starting to wonder what might happen in 4 years of the economic outlook for poor whites or the justice inequality for blacks do not have steps taken to being fixed. Even token gestures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Guess what, Israel and Palestine are already, in TYOOL 2016, de facto a single state, ethnic cleansing is continuing at a rapid pace, and Palestinians are treated as less than second class citizens

Yeah, you're pretty on the money there. Not that the GOP is doing this for any sound reason or anything, but the Two-State Solution has been dead for a long time, and had its corpse propped up Weekend At Bernie's style by 'moderates' to try and disguise how there's no more negotiation or compromise of any kind going on.

Its easier to take every horrible news from that corner of the world as "Well, this is a setback on the road to he Two-state deal" than "poo poo, we failed and horrible governments and events rule the day".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So if a 2 state solution is dead than what is a solution that doesn't see Israel gobbling up all of Palestine? Yes I know the answer is in the question but let's pretend here.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Perhaps there could be some kind of...Ultimate Solution to the Palestinian problem.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So if a 2 state solution is dead than what is a solution that doesn't see Israel gobbling up all of Palestine? Yes I know the answer is in the question but let's pretend here.

We pivot towards Iran and Palestine and relocate all the Jews to Greenland.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

what ever solution it is it can't be one we're constantly revisiting, it has to be a permanent one...a final one...

Oh nooooo

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Both party platforms have, for years, hewed closer to the Israeli line than official policy, normally by demanding that the US embassy be relocated to Jerusalem. Still, the US State Department maintains that the official policy of the United States is that the 1967 borders ought to be the basis for a two state solution. Who the hell knows what Trump would do. I expect Clinton to continue the policy of malign neglect.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah suburban middle-middle, upper-middle, and upper class whites of the have absolutely destroyed lower-middle and lower class whites of both parties. The middle-middle has taken some big hits too but are trying to pull up those ladders.

I'm starting to wonder what might happen in 4 years of the economic outlook for poor whites or the justice inequality for blacks do not have steps taken to being fixed. Even token gestures.

Here's one to tell the Mike Rowes of the world to gently caress right off. My family's from these parts.

Lucky Friday Mine wants cheap labor.

You can probably figure out what's the bullshit. Times are loving awesome for silver.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Actually a one state, non-apartheid, secular solution would be superior to all others, but I think we all know that's not what the Republicans mean.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I anticipate BiBi isn't going to be too happy no matter how it turns out. Clinton will be a continuation of Obama who he hates, and Trump will likely charge him for all the weapons we give them and/or demand unsustainable levels of Muslim genocide

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Indefinite maintenance of the status quo.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

I anticipate BiBi isn't going to be too happy no matter how it turns out. Clinton will be a continuation of Obama who he hates, and Trump will likely charge him for all the weapons we give them and/or demand unsustainable levels of Muslim genocide

It's only unsustainable because eventually they go extinct!

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

We pivot towards Iran and Palestine and relocate all the Jews to Greenland.

Give the Jews Wyoming. Nobody cares about Wyoming.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Sephyr posted:

It's only unsustainable because eventually they go extinct!

Alas...

Fortunately they are quite plentiful, however! :hist101:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Dirt posted:

Give the Jews Wyoming. Nobody cares about Wyoming.

Fits the desert theme.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Here's one to tell the Mike Rowes of the world to gently caress right off. My family's from these parts.

Lucky Friday Mine wants cheap labor.

You can probably figure out what's the bullshit. Times are loving awesome for silver.

:lol: It is what I'm talking about. It was talked a bit earlier today that all the free trade sure has screwed over everyone below a certain economic level and that they didn't have the programs in place to ease the pain. Need to learn from our mistakes and do better next time. Because hindsight.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I don't think free trade really did much overall to screw the middle class. The stuff that happened was already happening before NAFTA and it's like, and would still happen without it. We've just completely screwed the pooch on easing the economic transition that's been happening in a way that's pretty pitiful.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Gorelab posted:

I don't think free trade really did much overall to screw the middle class. The stuff that happened was already happening before NAFTA and it's like, and would still happen without it. We've just completely screwed the pooch on easing the economic transition that's been happening in a way that's pretty pitiful.

The same ideology that pushed trade and growth as unqualified good things also used them to justify the retraction of the welfare state and the rise in job instability. These things don't exist in isolation, and while free trade might be good in the abstract, the problem is that the people implementing it never had the good of society as a goal in the first place.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mr Hootington posted:

:lol: It is what I'm talking about. It was talked a bit earlier today that all the free trade sure has screwed over everyone below a certain economic level and that they didn't have the programs in place to ease the pain. Need to learn from our mistakes and do better next time. Because hindsight.

That's not free trade entirely. Hecla wants to gently caress over their workforce to maximize their bottom line. It's also the only middle class industry in the county that doesn't require a Dr prefix.

This example just hits close to home for me.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/752699848030187520

:qq::qq::qq:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

DemeaninDemon posted:

That's not free trade entirely. Hecla wants to gently caress over their workforce to maximize their bottom line. It's also the only middle class industry in the county that doesn't require a Dr prefix.

What are the chances of a strike?

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

teen witch posted:

If I may, a question, in good faith, sincerity and sheer curiosity, to the white folks in the thread (so like 90% of you). How did you all become illuminated towards the less than stellar treatment of people of color in modern times? Like I've seen a few people mentioning being FYGM type people when they were younger and then something happened (read an article, started interacting with people of color, went to college, etc) and suddenly they realize "Oh wow this is hosed up!". I've always wondered how some white people came to be this way, and I figured it fits with the threads's current mood.

My dad was restructuring a steel mill in Kansas in a town with about 1/3rd black population. I'd never been in a school with black kids before.

As usual, I'm the new kid whose dad is terrifying/firing/laying off a lot of other people's dads. The mill employed about a fifth of the town directly. As usual, scared and angry kids are taking out their stress on me. Socially, verbally, and physically if they catch me alone.

The administrative response when the aggressor was black as compared to when they were white was tremendously different. Black kids who verbally harassed me were shut down with zero tolerance. White kids had to get physical before teachers would intervene. The only times black kids ever went to physical attacks was in a group ringlead by a white kid - and even then they hung back and barely got involved. If a group was mixed race everyone got the same punishment as the leader. If it was all white the main bully would face significant punishment while the hangers on would get lesser.

Boys never attacked me in a group which meant black boys were the only demographic that never took a swing at me. Not once. Their white team mates would attempt to ambush me and threaten rape. Per the high school usual reports of sexual harassment against letter jacket wearers was ... well not brushed off as my dad had swing but the principle would take time to be sure I realized it was all a misunderstanding.

The pattern persisted when I observed fights between other people. For a given action there was much greater punishment if the person failed the paper bag test.

As a result I started feeling reflexively safer around black students. They didn't like me/my dad any more than the white ones did but were much more self controlled about expressing it.

They had to be.

Also I overheard dad chewing out a guy for suggesting an alternate list for the first round of layoffs because dad noticed the proposed list was all black workers. Dad is a tremendously emotionally stunted hateful rear end in a top hat in a lot of ways - he's the kind of guy who leaves his daughter in public schools where she is constantly getting attacked by kids angry birds at him - but he was utterly incensed at the idea of laying off by any metric but productivity and very fond of yelling at people.

Obligatory family defense - unlike Romney when dads done with a company all the laid off people are back and they are generally expanding. His pay is nothing but a portion of the profits for X years after he's gone. He can't loot and run. It's his only redeeming quality.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I've actually done something politically related other than read it on the internet.

I went and visited the Osceola FL democrat's straw poll and talked with some of the people vying for my district. This is, of course, the clusterfuck that's the Florida 9th. What's so bad about the 9th? It's the seat that Alan Grayson is leaving to run for senate, and it's being competed for by his wife, his former aide and campaign manager , a sitting state senator, and a few nobodies.

politico posted:

The Grayson wedding adds more drama to Florida's 9th Congressional District race, in which Grayson’s former aide and political hand, Susannah Randolph, had been laying the groundwork for the seat. But then she learned last year that her boss’s girlfriend wanted to run and that he would back her.

“I’m speechless,” Randolph, who hadn’t heard the word of the representative’s intentions at the time, told POLITICO May 5, 2015.

At the time, Grayson hadn’t officially announced for U.S. Senate and was starting to get into an increasing number of scraps with fellow Democrats and reporters.

Grayson was also involved in a messy bigamy case, in which he prevailed, and soon faced ethics questions over a hedge fund he ran.

I met the state senator, Darron Soto and talked with him for quite a while about medicaid expansion and other options to try to ram good governance down Rick Scott's throat. Anyway, nationally related - when do the polls for non-president start mattering meaning anything useful? It's not as exciting as a flipped seat but the August 30th primary will more than likely decide who gets it in November, it's safely blue.

Harik fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 12, 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

GalacticAcid posted:

What are the chances of a strike?

Depends who you ask. Some friends from HS say they'll probably strike but who knows really.

Mine has the deepest shaft in the us at almost 10k feet too.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They should at least sabotage some machines.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Not if it causes anyone to get hurt. I've known people who've died underground there.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

Not if it causes anyone to get hurt. I've known people who've died underground there.

Well no not anything like that, minor stuff topside that isn't fatal but WILL cost money to repair. Let them know they're going to be spending that money no matter what so they may as well spend it on wages

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Now you're talking!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

It isn't to blame because the problems with it are a symptom of the bad parts of Capitalism and human nature.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I completely agree. The shining beacon of poo poo being maximizing (quarterly) shareholder value being the primary goal of a business. That's a secondary result of solid business practice not the only result needed.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

I completely agree. The shining beacon of poo poo being maximizing (quarterly) shareholder value being the primary goal of a business. That's a secondary result of solid business practice not the only result needed.

Yep the long term implications of policies put in place wether be on a global or local scale are never looked at. Consequences be damned I need that immediate gratification.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It really hit home for me when reading about Allen Mulally. He's got to be the very model for an executive for whom the time beyond four months out does not exist

Even if that ideal causes a company to screw itself and the CEO gets relieved, there will be a thousand CEO hopefuls lined up to get hired and do the same thing, and with more being made every day.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mr Hootington posted:

Yep the long term implications of policies put in place wether be on a global or local scale are never looked at. Consequences be damned I need that immediate gratification.

Its ugly but its direct, atleast. The worst is the insidious nature in which everyone's retirement is based on the hopes of stock prices of the very same companies they are getting screwed by.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

quote:

Asked about a report that seven or eight officers had walked off the job, Kroll said, "They only have four officers working the event because the Lynx have such a pathetic draw."

:jerkbag:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think this also happened at a Beyonce concert recently in Miami? They're literal children.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think this also happened at a Beyonce concert recently in Miami? They're literal children.

Metaphorical.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Noam Chomsky posted:

Metaphorical.

Well they do seem to have underdeveloped prefrontal cortices

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Nah, nevermind.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 12, 2016

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mr Hootington posted:

If you have a problem with free trade between nation states you should have a problem with free trade between states in the country.

Additional competion from other states drive down wages after all by providing alternative sources for labor.

So do you support trade barriers between the 50 states? And if not, why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I want Huckabee to start #FatLivesMatter.

• Locked thread