Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Awesome! That's exactly what I was hoping for and more. I knew they did away with the 4 nondescript chests that make the Zodiac Spear disappear forever which was a remarkably stupid idea in the original version.

I've never been fond of how Square makes these upgrades versions of their games Japan-exclusive (most notably with the Final Mix versions of Kingdom Hearts), but it's cool that they're finally releasing them in NA and in HD to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Uh, Square makes the upgraded versions of games the debut in the States the standard version. There are exceptions like Zodiac and the FFX international, but for the most part, the americans get the improved versions out. Bravely Default 1.0 was a shitfest compared to what we got.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah sounds like the 'exceptions' are the ones worth caring about tho

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The original "International" version was FF7, wasn't it? The original Japanese version didn't have Ruby or Emerald Weapon, nor did it have the fight with Diamond Weapon, or the sweet Super Nova spell animation in the final boss fight that the North American version did. So they released an updated International version later so Japanese players could have the new things we played first.

You're definitely right that the exceptions are the ones worth caring about, though. For FFX, the International version really was international--it was the version released in Europe as well--and so it was at least fairly easy to play as a US player because they kept all the English text in. But yeah, there were tons of changes there that really improved the game. As for FFXII, I'm not even sure why its updated rerelease has "International" in the title at all, because I'm pretty sure that one really was Japan-only, and the enhancements it got weren't at all based on another region's version. Still has only English voices, though; I guess they decided those were the "canon" voices, so I'm pretty sure IZJS doesn't even have the option to switch back to Japanese. (Which is why it was pretty easy to release a translation patch for English--they could just take the English text from the original FFXII and slap it on with a patch, then correct the few discrepancies like the new weapon names.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Bravely Default originally didn't let you control the random encounter rate.

I can't imagine how miserable that would be.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Iirc, the Japanese version also did not have some of the Zack cutscenes later too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Mega64 posted:

It also did not have the group-based Asterisk battles in Chapters 7 and 8. They were originally just Chapters 5 and 6 copy-pasted again.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Make Lucis Great Again

Terper fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 11, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Pureauthor posted:

It also did not have the group-based Asterisk battles in Chapters 7 and 8. They were originally just Chapters 5 and 6 copy-pasted again.

Yeah, as much as I loved Bravely Default, I don't think I'd have been able to finish it without the "international" improvements we got. I had random encounters permanently off from Chapter 5 onward, except during a couple of bursts of turbo job grinding and a little bit of blue magic hunting. That, and the cool Asterisk group battles in Chapters 7 and 8 were highlights of the game for me.

I haven't played Bravely Second yet. Did they carry forward the random encounter controls, at least?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yup. In fact they tie it to the story.

The improvements to the version we got was titled "For the Sequel" in Japan. Guess why!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looking forward to play BD2 whenever I get sick of fire emblem

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Terper posted:

Make Lucis Great Again
Throw Away The Treaty, Not The People

We Gave Him Our Lives,
He Gave Them Our Homes

this is brilliant :allears:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

How long until I can wander around my city casting Firaga on moogles using my phone? SE is pretty hip on mobile, I want to see a FF-themed Pokemon Go ripoff so I can watch every last ounce of shame I have die.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Throw Away The Treaty, Not The People

We Gave Him Our Lives,
He Gave Them Our Homes

this is brilliant :allears:

For those curious about the context, (Kingsglaive spoilers) The peace treaty Regis signs is basically the Empire going "Alright you can keep the capital but we get everything else" and Regis basically has no choice, which seriously pisses off the people.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Terper posted:

Make Lucis Great Again

This is pretty cool

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yeah, well, Bahamut can't melt steel beams.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

quote:

Siliconera recently caught up with Square Enix producer Shuichi Kobayashi, who talked about some of the changes the company saw in the approval process of games after Yosuke Matsuda became CEO.

Kobayashi-san, it seems like you’ve been quite passionate about bringing back forgotten Square Enix IPs. What has changed in Square Enix as a company from when Wada-san was the president to now when Matsuda-san is the president to allow you to do this?

Shuichi Kobayashi, Producer at Square Enix: When the president changed from Wada-san to Matsuda-san, the approval process for creating new projects has changed too. When Wada-san was the president, everyone in the executive committee needed to agree to start a new project. When we changed to Matsuda-san, we created the business divisions and all of the approval processes will go from division to division so it’s become a lot speedier.

The approval process you have to go through became shorter too. It’s not that everything gets approved now, but because it’s faster it shortens the time to get approval. The idea behind this kind of process is at Square Enix as a company we want to push out more titles at a faster speed. That is why it has become easier to do this.

Even with this new process it doesn’t mean everything will get approved what came with this change in the approval process is a lot of responsibility. Whether you succeed or not, you have so much more responsibility now than before. We have to create something fun and something that will sell. That’s where each producer decides if they want to create a new IP (intellectual property) or if they want to use a previous IP to create something new.

But, we all have to think about creating something fun. If we succeed with Star Ocean: Integrity & Faithlessness then I will think about what I can do with Star Ocean next, but if I fail then I might have to think about what other titles I might be able to do. Each of the producers at our company are now thinking about what is fun to play with and what would be a good seller. When I was looking at the titles I could do, Star Ocean was the one I really wanted to work on and that is why I did Star Ocean this time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sounds neat that old IP's could come back, but honestly what other ones are there? FF, DW, and KH have all been thriving, but all the other various IP's besides Star Ocean, Mana, SaGa, and Parasite Eve (and maybe one or two I'm forgetting) are all too dormant or too messy to really bring back.

Maybe we could get that Live-A-Live 2 I've heard brought up in a "wouldn't it be nice if it happened?" context from one of the staff a year or two ago. The original did get a song in Theatrhythm, and its chapter-based set-up could work well as a mobile game. Maybe drudge up some old classics like Bahamut Lagoon or Actraiser or something else that'd work in mobile. There's also a lot of potential in cheap digital sequels/rereleases for the consoles/handhelds/Steam.

It'd be a nice income supplement for their big mobile games, their AAA games, and Eidos, plus AoM had a good reception (though no idea about sales obv., plus I haven't followed anything about SO5 but that series is kind of a train wreck anyway).

I'm kinda optimistic that we may actually see the weird, experimental side of Square that really shined in the SNES/PS1 era. New IP's would be welcome too of course, especially with the likes of Bravely Default.

It's SE so I expect more FF15 sequels to recoup the costs of the original, KH3 to be continuously delayed in favor of more side games, and FF7r to be vaporware. Still, it feels like SE is the best its been in years, and I'm actually looking forward to their games again (I probably won't play them but they look good).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mega64 posted:

Sounds neat that old IP's could come back, but honestly what other ones are there? FF, DW, and KH have all been thriving, but all the other various IP's besides Star Ocean, Mana, SaGa, and Parasite Eve (and maybe one or two I'm forgetting) are all too dormant or too messy to really bring back.

Maybe we could get that Live-A-Live 2 I've heard brought up in a "wouldn't it be nice if it happened?" context from one of the staff a year or two ago. The original did get a song in Theatrhythm, and its chapter-based set-up could work well as a mobile game. Maybe drudge up some old classics like Bahamut Lagoon or Actraiser or something else that'd work in mobile. There's also a lot of potential in cheap digital sequels/rereleases for the consoles/handhelds/Steam.

It'd be a nice income supplement for their big mobile games, their AAA games, and Eidos, plus AoM had a good reception (though no idea about sales obv., plus I haven't followed anything about SO5 but that series is kind of a train wreck anyway).

I'm kinda optimistic that we may actually see the weird, experimental side of Square that really shined in the SNES/PS1 era. New IP's would be welcome too of course, especially with the likes of Bravely Default.

It's SE so I expect more FF15 sequels to recoup the costs of the original, KH3 to be continuously delayed in favor of more side games, and FF7r to be vaporware. Still, it feels like SE is the best its been in years, and I'm actually looking forward to their games again (I probably won't play them but they look good).

The Portopia Serial Murder Case 2

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mega64 posted:

Drakengard 2.5: Nowe's head explodes after kicking a dragon and it motorboats that one chick's tits. Also Caim and Angelus are back for no reason.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Front Mission 2189: Eternal War

pls S-E

pls

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Mega64 posted:

Square seems to be back on good terms with Matsuno, so a new Ogre Battle (main series, not Tactics) with him back at the helm would make me extremely happy.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here hoping what franchises get revived don't end up like Parasite Eve's long awaited sequel. :smith:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zweihander, Braver Fencer Musashi, and Ehrgeiz... something bless the ring.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Phantasium posted:

Zweihander, Braver Fencer Musashi, and Ehrgeiz... something bless the ring.

A sequel to that roguelike they bolted onto Ehrgeiz.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I was going to say "Einhander" but realized that's what you meant with "Zweihander."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

A sequel to that roguelike they bolted onto Ehrgeiz.

That would own so hard. When I bought Ehrgeiz I had no idea that part was in the game and I had a ton of fun with it even though it was weird and janky.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

final fantasy mystic quest 2

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring is up there with The World Ends with You as one of the greatest video game names of all time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

paladins quest 2

hey enix published it

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Indecisive posted:

Wasn't there some unofficial thing that tried to say it was licensed from Square to do a HD remake of the first game and a sequel?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Super Mario RPG 2

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
Dewprism/Threads of Fate 2

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rirse posted:

Wasn't there some unofficial thing that tried to say it was licensed from Square to do a HD remake of the first game and a sequel?

Yes, and the sequel was an episodic thing with online components and Benjamin changed his name to Zash and made a big deal about it. It was a total scam and hilarious.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Indecisive posted:

They should actually do this, but then make it the hardest game in the series. Make sure to get Kenji Ito back to compose too, that guy knows how to rock.

E: Excuse me I meant Ryuji Sasai and Yasuhiro Kawakami; not sure who I got that wrong info from. Ito is still radical though.

CeallaSo fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 12, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Harrow posted:

That would own so hard. When I bought Ehrgeiz I had no idea that part was in the game and I had a ton of fun with it even though it was weird and janky.

More games should increase your stats depending on what your character's diet was on level up.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Super Mario RPG 2

I would honestly love this since Paper Mario's been up and down lately.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Indecisive posted:

Yeah!

Mezzanon posted:

Super Mario RPG 2
Yeah!!!

It's not the same genre but can I wish/hope for a Star Tropics 3 while we're doing this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A new Bouncer would be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Super No Vacancy posted:

paladins quest 2

hey enix published it

That exists and has a fan translation tho