Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

MisterBadIdea posted:

What does ARG stand for?

Alternate Reality Game, and my understanding is that it's basically a story that requires the audience to puzzle out certain things in the real world, like decoding a hidden message or going to a real life location to get something and then share it with the rest of the people involved.

If one of those Slenderman webseries requires audience participation, it's an ARG. If the makers just release content like TV series would, it's not an ARG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MisterBadIdea posted:

What does ARG stand for?

Alternet Reality Game. ^^^

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'd like to see hbomberguy make fun of Milo Yianopoloops. That guy sucks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

He's a pretty good target because he actually has clout, money and fame unlike Aurini and Owen. I especially love the fact that he has a grant exclusively for white males because women do better in college and have super advantages and this that and another thing.

Edit: On a less lovely note. A new Wheel of the Worst!

Edit 2: Holy loving poo poo. This episode is hilarious. "The Lame Escape" is the hardest I've laughed in a good while.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 10, 2016

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

SunAndSpring posted:

I remember seeing Milo Yiannopoulos's profile pic on Twitter one day and thinking, "This guy seriously looks like a serial killer." Like, you could swap out Christian Bale's face on the American Psycho poster for his, and no one would think it was an alteration.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Jimbot posted:

He's a pretty good target because he actually has clout, money and fame unlike Aurini and Owen.

When he was unverified on twitter he went to the White House to complain about it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Dude only has one way of arguing and stumbles on himself when faced with someone who can exhaust or sidestep him, so folk like Joe Rogan or the Chapo Trap House folk are a bit more adapt to handling folk like him than someone like Hbomb.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Dammit dude. Don't link Milo's stuff here. I just gave him a view without realizing it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

BigRed0427 posted:

Dammit dude. Don't link Milo's stuff here. I just gave him a view without realizing it.

I think views don't register unless the video plays for a few seconds.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Wrong thread.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are the episodes of Brad Jones' podcast snobcast available anywhere? They don't seem to be on his site or channelawesome.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Max Wilco posted:

I remember seeing Milo Yiannopoulos's profile pic on Twitter one day and thinking, "This guy seriously looks like a serial killer." Like, you could swap out Christian Bale's face on the American Psycho poster for his, and no one would think it was an alteration.
The guy caused a horrible stink when he came to Pittsburgh for a talk at Pitt early this year that left a lot of people in tears and a bunch of douchebag dude bros acting like a bunch of jagoffs hopped up by his hate speech. The president of the democratic board had to apologize while the republican one get to stand and look really :smug: too.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

How the gently caress does this clown get White House press credentials?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
History buffs put out a new episode on saving private Ryan.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

How the gently caress does this clown get White House press credentials?

The Washington Press Corps still thinks Breitbart is a real journalism outlet.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Is it weird I had a dream about Phelous last night? We were LARPing in a cave with a ghost.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

MrSlam posted:

I wish I could find more information on This Is My Milwaukee. Come on Night Mind. Do it.

I'll buy you a hamBURger when I get BACK from the TOOOMB!

This is a page late but it was part of Syndyne's 77 Days ARG, which also included @Horse_Ebooks and the Pronunciation Book youtube channel. It turned out to be a marketing scheme for an FMV adventure game about the 2007 Financial Crisis starring Henry Zebrowski of Heroes Reborn fame.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Genetic Toaster posted:

This is a page late but it was part of Syndyne's 77 Days ARG, which also included @Horse_Ebooks and the Pronunciation Book youtube channel. It turned out to be a marketing scheme for an FMV adventure game about the 2007 Financial Crisis starring Henry Zebrowski of Heroes Reborn fame.

drat, I thought @Horse_Ebooks was real :(

But thank you, this is fascinating

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wow, pronunciation book had a long lead time to being anything. I guess I can't feel too much resentment for it being an advertisement for something dumb because I never heard anything about it.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My problem with ARG's is that the cool big mystery is resolved into something small and goofy.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It should also be noted that the original @Horse_Ebooks person got bored of it and then sold it to the ARG peeps in 2011

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

My problem with ARG's is that the cool big mystery is resolved into something small and goofy.

This. One of my biggest complaints about Lost was that they didn't incorporate all the mid-season ARGs into the narrative. The Hanso Foundation, Mittelwerk getting his hands on 'the Plauge', and the subliminal messaging commercials were all just a bunch of bullshit that might as well not have been there.

They got me and my sister to watch the show in the first place, so I guess it worked.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It should also be noted that the original @Horse_Ebooks person got bored of it and then sold it to the ARG peeps in 2011

Oh good

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MrSlam posted:

Is it weird I had a dream about Phelous last night? We were LARPing in a cave with a ghost.

Which one of you was Pardieu the cleric?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The ARG I remember the most is definitely ilovebees. That was fascinating poo poo when it was going on.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I rewatched Contact and, aside from being a pretty good movie on it's own, I appreciate that it's a movie that has an atheist protagonist without going full Internet Atheist/Rational. As an atheist who doesn't want to be a dick about it, it really cheered me up. I checked and a lot of the atheist reviewers seem to hate it because they see it as anti-atheist which, is weird to me as it seemed a movie were in the end neither side has been proven correct. I guess nuance is lost on the "Rationals".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tracula posted:

The ARG I remember the most is definitely ilovebees. That was fascinating poo poo when it was going on.

I preferred the Portal 2 ARG which had people decoding information from radio frequencies within the suspicious radios scattered around the first game. I would have liked it if the info regarding the giant chicken coop actually made it into the final game, and Chell's "escape" at the end was actually her getting shunted into a different test chamber for Aperture.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
https://vimeo.com/169002663

Sean Witzke of Travis Bickle On The Riviera is doing a series of video essays on Tarantino's The Hateful Eight and the first episode is super great.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

:agreed: I could never figure out what do to, but it was fun to watch an ARG-specific forum pour over it.

(and get mad that the end of the ARG ended at a Halo 2(?) promotional display somewhere, with two seconds of ILB content at the end, because why is this game getting in the way of our ARG?)

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Good Times with Phelous
Phelous reviews Cinderella

MrSlam posted:

John Murdoch posted:

Which one of you was Pardieu the cleric?
I think I was the Tom Hanks in the relationship and he was Frelic

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has anyone other than Spoony done Mazes and Monsters? I love its weird made-by-the-New-York-tourism-board finale.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack Gladney posted:

Has anyone other than Spoony done Mazes and Monsters? I love its weird made-by-the-New-York-tourism-board finale.

I don't know of any video critics, but this bad movie podcast did a pretty good episode on it https://systemmasterypodcast.com/2016/05/05/movie-mastery-mazes-monsters-1982/

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

RLM does a re:View of Ghostbusters (1984)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PS7CgXHxps

They call out a few other internet critics in the first minute, casual predictions for the 2016 film, and Bill Murray has a case of the not-gays

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7qVNTtjHnQ

Hmm, looks like Brad's going to make a movie that makes fun of Christian movies. I can only imagine how the makers of those awful Christian movies are going to react. Let's see, what else?

*looks at actor list*

... Oh dear.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Also, for fans of things that are good, more Baywatching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1akKcQgU_U

After that I'll check out RLM.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Oh hey Larry went into detail on the Driv3r scandal thing thats cool I was wondering about that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEQOv2g0JA.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

The Blame Society guys did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDBdHBB3s4Y

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also, for fans of things that are good, more Baywatching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1akKcQgU_U

After that I'll check out RLM.

So around what point do they realize this show is masturbation fodder for a lot of people and stop doing Hobie romance stories? Because that point can't come soon enough.

And Cort is back! :woop: :woop: :woop:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So around what point do they realize this show is masturbation fodder for a lot of people and stop doing Hobie romance stories? Because that point can't come soon enough.

And Cort is back! :woop: :woop: :woop:

Yeah, I missed John "Dorky" Cort. :allears:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Mraagvpeine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7qVNTtjHnQ

Hmm, looks like Brad's going to make a movie that makes fun of Christian movies. I can only imagine how the makers of those awful Christian movies are going to react. Let's see, what else?

*looks at actor list*

... Oh dear.

Seeing the brothers Walker involved does kill my interest in this stone dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Brad really needs to personally vet all his interpersonal associations and life choices with the SA Internet Critic thread before he does anything

• Locked thread