Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PriorMarcus posted:

Ressurection does have the single best shot of the franchise in it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

She dies really fast.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Bad:
  • Colony scene and Newts family. This scene spoils the surprise of how dreadful the colony looks. It could have worked if the colony seemed great and then we're treated to the carnage afterwards, but honestly it does not change that much, and that lessens the impact. The acting was pretty weak too.
  • Small bits of extra dialog between Burke and Ripley. We get the point that he's a corporate scumbag really quickly, so they were right to cut the added fluff.
  • Small bits of extra dialog between the marines and Ripley. We get the point that most of them don't really trust her yet and that Hicks is being nice really quickly, so they were right to cut the added fluff.
Neutral:
  • Ripley's daughter being dead. The whole being frozen for a long time drifting thing is a cool Sci-Fi bit which I like, but it does raise the question whether or not missing out on her child's life would not have been in the cards anyway, what with her chosen occupation. I do like the subplot because having someone that's as much business as Ripley just "naturally" become surrogate mommy for Newt with no motivation is plausible but still kind of cliche (and possibly sexist).
  • Sulaco’s Introduction. It's a nice little homage to the first movie. Yeah, it goes against screenwriting rules by not establishing anything or moving the story along, but who cares?
  • Hamsters in a cage scene. It's pretty tense when they sweep the colony, and this introduces the motion tracker. Yeah, you can give the audience the benefit of the doubt and cut it, but I don't feel like it hits us over the head with it either.
Good:
  • Hudson's ultimate bad-rear end speech. It completely forms his character and sets him up for getting his rear end kicked. Game over man would not be the same without it.
  • Sentry guns. It's a tense scene, and informs the new character of the aliens and their shift in tactics. Its resolution ever so slightly fucks with the ramping tension of the movie overall, but it's fine to have a few up-and downs.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Oh my.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Biomute posted:

Bad:
  • Colony scene and Newts family. This scene spoils the surprise of how dreadful the colony looks. It could have worked if the colony seemed great and then we're treated to the carnage afterwards, but honestly it does not change that much, and that lessens the impact. The acting was pretty weak too.
  • Small bits of extra dialog between Burke and Ripley. We get the point that he's a corporate scumbag really quickly, so they were right to cut the added fluff.
  • Small bits of extra dialog between the marines and Ripley. We get the point that most of them don't really trust her yet and that Hicks is being nice really quickly, so they were right to cut the added fluff.
Neutral:
  • Ripley's daughter being dead. The whole being frozen for a long time drifting thing is a cool Sci-Fi bit which I like, but it does raise the question whether or not missing out on her child's life would not have been in the cards anyway, what with her chosen occupation. I do like the subplot because having someone that's as much business as Ripley just "naturally" become surrogate mommy for Newt with no motivation is plausible but still kind of cliche (and possibly sexist).
  • Sulaco’s Introduction. It's a nice little homage to the first movie. Yeah, it goes against screenwriting rules by not establishing anything or moving the story along, but who cares?
  • Hamsters in a cage scene. It's pretty tense when they sweep the colony, and this introduces the motion tracker. Yeah, you can give the audience the benefit of the doubt and cut it, but I don't feel like it hits us over the head with it either.
Good:
  • Hudson's ultimate bad-rear end speech. It completely forms his character and sets him up for getting his rear end kicked. Game over man would not be the same without it.
  • Sentry guns. It's a tense scene, and informs the new character of the aliens and their shift in tactics. Its resolution ever so slightly fucks with the ramping tension of the movie overall, but it's fine to have a few up-and downs.

These are my feelings exactly. Good work.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Biomute posted:

Sentry guns. It's a tense scene, and informs the new character of the aliens and their shift in tactics. Its resolution ever so slightly fucks with the ramping tension of the movie overall, but it's fine to have a few up-and downs.

Why the aliens stopped attacking the doors made no sense at all in the movie. The turrets tied everything together.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What was the Hamsters in a Cage scene?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

MrMojok posted:

What was the Hamsters in a Cage scene?

They pick up something on the motion tracker when they first go inside and it turns out to be a hamster in a cage

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Micro-changes in air density, my rear end.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Ripley having a daughter doesn't really cheapen her heroics for me. While I get where the reading that Newt becomes a surrogate daughter comes from, I think it's not fully supported by the film. For me, the existence of the daughter adds an extra level of catharsis to the ending of the film. For Ripley, the Xenomorphs did take her daughter away from her. Having a daughter, heightens her trauma, makes it palatable for the audience.

She is saving Newt because she's a hero, but there is an extra level of catharsis that comes from the fact that she is stopping the Xenomorphs from tearing away another loved one from her.

The ending is a lot like Scream or Halloween: H20. A victim of trauma rising up, letting the villain become less scary, and rewriting her role in the movie to full on action hero. The daughter makes that trauma a more tangible thing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

Ripley having a daughter doesn't really cheapen her heroics for me. While I get where the reading that Newt becomes a surrogate daughter comes from, I think it's not fully supported by the film. For me, the existence of the daughter adds an extra level of catharsis to the ending of the film. For Ripley, the Xenomorphs did take her daughter away from her. Having a daughter, heightens her trauma, makes it palatable for the audience.

She is saving Newt because she's a hero, but there is an extra level of catharsis that comes from the fact that she is stopping the Xenomorphs from tearing away another loved one from her.

The ending is a lot like Scream or Halloween: H20. A victim of trauma rising up, letting the villain become less scary, and rewriting her role in the movie to full on action hero. The daughter makes that trauma a more tangible thing.

The issue here is that the therapeutic structure is bog-standard Hollywood stuff, where Ripley is sent on an 'inner journey' that allows her to 'overcome her trauma' and 'return to a normal life' as a functional member of society or whatever.

The same structure is evident in the original, alternate ending of Terminator 2. An elderly Sarah Connor - having defeated a single bad corporation - is now chilling out in the liberal utopia from Demolition Man. She no longer has nightmares, and she has consequently renounced her freedom-fighter ways to settle into retirement. John Connor now works as a liberal senator in this laughable gee-whiz future. This outcome is implicit in every version of the film, but this inferior ending directly visualizes what James Cameron stands for.

It's only when you get to Terminator 5 that the truth of Terminator 2 is brought to light. T5 carefully examines the logic of time-travel and concludes that Sarah failed. In destroying the Cyberdyne corporation, a worse Skynet was unleashed. That is the origin of the liquid Terminator: born of Sarah's complacency, built by the very liberal utopia celebrated in that alternate ending. The mother unwittingly sends a killer robot to assassinate her politician son - presumably for being too radical.

The point of this, with regard to Aliens, is to understand why the aliens are so ineradicable. They are produced by of normal life. So if it's not Ripley who's attacked next, it'll be someone else.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 11, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ah, it is bad because if you squint hard enough and draw in plot elements from different movies that weren't even filmed, it wasn't Marxist enough!

How trite.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Ah, it is bad because if you squint hard enough and draw in plot elements from different movies that weren't even filmed, it wasn't Marxist enough!

How trite.

You are correct, this reading of SMG's post is trite.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

You are correct, this reading of SMG's post is trite.

Cheerleading is trite too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
See guys, Prometheus is so bad is causes random strangers on the internet to hate each other. Clearly the source of all problems is Prometheus which can only be killed with the 7 special daggers like in The Omen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

How trite.

It's bad because it's a stupid and cliché plotline. Ripley, being a WOMZ, becomes a MOMZ as soon as she sees a kid in trouble. gently caress that stupid poo poo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

How trite.

I did not write that the film is bad.

I am writing that you are bad.

Aliens is a rather-good film about a woman who fights to protect the Weyland-Yutani corporation from unfashionably greedy employees, stodgy bureaucracy, and alien attack 'from outside'.

Of course this is not her explicit motivation. Ripley simply wants a higher-paying and more prestigious job within the corporation, and to raise a family. But the unavoidable conclusion is that, for all her dreams to come true, Weyland-Yutani must be kept intact.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

See guys, Prometheus is so bad is causes random strangers on the internet to hate each other. Clearly the source of all problems is Prometheus which can only be killed with the 7 special daggers like in The Omen.

Sorry, you're not going to get the reactions you're looking for. Some people like Prometheus and others don't, nobody really feels the need to beat that dead horse again.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's bad because it's a stupid and cliché plotline. Ripley, being a WOMZ, becomes a MOMZ as soon as she sees a kid in trouble. gently caress that stupid poo poo.

What's wrong with that? parents want to protect kids. I can't really think of many great action movies from the 80s which deal with that really apart from Commando.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I never really felt like the backstory with Ripley's daughter was necessary to establish the parent-child relationship she has with Newt. I think I was probably 12 or 13 when I saw Aliens for the first time and when Ripley comes out with the mecha suit and says "get away from her you BITCH" even my dumb teenage self was like, "oh yeah uh-huh, I get what you're trying to do, movie."

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

exquisite tea posted:

I never really felt like the backstory with Ripley's daughter was necessary to establish the parent-child relationship she has with Newt. I think I was probably 12 or 13 when I saw Aliens for the first time and when Ripley comes out with the mecha suit and says "get away from her you BITCH" even my dumb teenage self was like, "oh yeah uh-huh, I get what you're trying to do, movie."

Well poo poo doesn't Newt flat-out call her mommy at the end?

Reminder: Newt died and afterward Ripley, when asked if Newt was her daughter, said "no." All those warm fuzzies down the toilet. Alien 3 is, in fact, loving awesome.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't understand why people think Alien 3 "ruined" the ending of Aliens. Movies don't all have happy endings, characters die, space is a cold uncaring horrible place and Ripley will have everything she ever loves killed or take away from her. Not every movie needs to have some comic book hero story arc where everything goes along exactly how the viewer expects.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I don't understand why people think Alien 3 "ruined" the ending of Aliens. Movies don't all have happy endings, characters die, space is a cold uncaring horrible place and Ripley will have everything she ever loves killed or take away from her. Not every movie needs to have some comic book hero story arc where everything goes along exactly how the viewer expects.

Cameron wrote the ending a certain way, and then Alien 3 undid all of that in the first five minutes. So the ending that you have in mind where Ripley always loses everything she loves, is not the same one Cameron wanted. In a way, you hit on why people were annoyed with it in your post. The beginning of Alien 3 doesn't feel like a beginning, it feels like a tacked on ending to Aliens. An unearned one.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think it's so much that movies need to have happy endings, so much that Aliens does have a happy ending, in and of itself. However, in the greater context of Alien 3, that's no longer the case.

It comes across as insincere, or even deceptive.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Basebf555 posted:

Cameron wrote the ending a certain way, and then Alien 3 undid all of that in the first five minutes. So the ending that you have in mind where Ripley always loses everything she loves, is not the same one Cameron wanted. In a way, you hit on why people were annoyed with it in your post. The beginning of Alien 3 doesn't feel like a beginning, it feels like a tacked on ending to Aliens. An unearned one.

And Aliens undid the happy ending of Alien by letting Ripley drift for 60 years, who gives a poo poo. Alien 3 "earns" (whatever that means) the right to tell its own story by being a good movie.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And in the assembly cut we get the heartbreaking autopsy scene which makes newt's death worth it. It's not like the characters were just sort of discarded off screen because the next writer didn't want those characters. Their deaths are actually important to the movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Why cookie Rocket posted:

And Aliens undid the happy ending of Alien by letting Ripley drift for 60 years, who gives a poo poo. Alien 3 "earns" (whatever that means) the right to tell its own story by being a good movie.

Well maybe that's my problem, I don't think Alien 3 is good, so maybe I'm biased. I still don't think that Ripley drifting in space for longer than she anticipated is the same kind of rug-pull maneuver as killing off two major surviving characters in the first five minutes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

Well maybe that's my problem, I don't think Alien 3 is good, so maybe I'm biased. I still don't think that Ripley drifting in space for longer than she anticipated is the same kind of rug-pull maneuver as killing off two major surviving characters in the first five minutes.

Michael Biehn(Hicks), upon learning of Hicks' demise, demanded and received almost as much money for the use of his likeness in one scene as he had been paid for his role in Aliens.

Cameron saved the series and they hosed it up again, just like they would again with Alien Resurrection.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The only death more painful and unnecessary in cinema than killing off Newt and Hicks is when Johnny Cage died in the first five minutes of Mortal Kombat Annihilation.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Michael Biehn(Hicks), upon learning of Hicks' demise, demanded and received almost as much money for the use of his likeness in one scene as he had been paid for his role in Aliens.

Cameron saved the series and they hosed it up again, just like they would again with Alien Resurrection.

B-b-but... Alien is good?!?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

B-b-but... Alien is good?!?

If it was left to Ridley, I'm sure we would of had Alien 2:Crabwalker.

Ridley wanted people turning into eggs! Just imagine it, crabwalking aliens that turn humans into eggs that can also turn into aliens who crabwalk.

The Predator better of loving won both the verses movies in that dimension!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 11, 2016

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016

oldpainless posted:

The only death more painful and unnecessary in cinema than killing off Newt and Hicks is when Johnny Cage died in the first five minutes of Mortal Kombat Annihilation.
That came outta left field lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh, so that's what's wrong with Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

hemale in pain posted:

What's wrong with that? parents want to protect kids. I can't really think of many great action movies from the 80s which deal with that really apart from Commando.

The issue is not that Ripley starts a family, but how 'family' is deployed as support for the liberal ideology of the film.

Ripley has absolutely nothing against the Weyland-Yutani corporation's project of 'building better worlds'. She is only against Burke, who corrupted this project with his excessive greed - betraying his employers and therefore his species.

At the time of the 2012 elections in America, Joss Whedon released a viral video outlining his political philosophy. In essence: liberalism is necessary because it keeps 'good poors' (e.g. black single mothers, starving African children, etc.) from turning into 'bad poors' (e.g. rioters, terrorists, drug dealers, revolutionaries, etc.). Once poors reach a certain threshold of tolerability, it's necessary to eradicate them - and Whedon is determined to keep the poors as happy and harmless as possible. Hence his support for Obama.

As unfortunate as this nonsense is, Whedon's politics are exactly the same as Ripley's in Aliens. Greedy Burke introduced the colonists to unsafe working conditions, provoking a labor uprising. The workers literally 'bug out' and turn against the company. So Ripley's there to both put down this uprising and argue that corporations should be 'green', sustainable, kind to the workers, etc. "Nobody has to be vile."

So it bears repeating: Ripley uses 'family' to justify her actions here. The alien queen is specifically a bad parent trying to indoctrinate Newt. The special edition underlines this with the reveal that the queen is actually Newt's father, turned monstrous in a workplace accident. Implicit leader of the uprising, Newt's dad is the 'bitch' that Ripley shoves out the airlock because he threatens to make the homeless Newt into an alien too.

Once the aliens are all dead, the nightmare is over and Ripley can return to her dream: building better worlds.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Annihilation is the most fun I've ever had in a movie theatre, audience was rowdy as gently caress and we had a couple of really sharp hecklers, I just about killed myself laughing

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016

Clipperton posted:

Annihilation is the most fun I've ever had in a movie theatre, audience was rowdy as gently caress and we had a couple of really sharp hecklers, I just about killed myself laughing

After watching it recently, it's amazing it made it to theaters.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah. The world of Alien is nihilistic, dark and uncaring. Aliens is the one that doesn't fit the pattern here, Alien 3 merely brought things back to normal.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh, so that's what's wrong with Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

I'd say it's actually one of the bigger problems. Linden Ashby added a lot to the first movie, and with him, Annihilation might've been a decent bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Huh, I never pieced together that the special edition of Aliens implies the queen hatched from Newt's dad.