Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lagotto posted:

It would have been the cheap solution for the northern block. It would have let to the bankruptcy of the Greek banks and quite a few of the Spanish and Italian banks, since they were far more exposed to eachother and owed far more money domestically then externally. There is no way Spain could have financed their own bail out.

Even if the southern financial sector could manage the above a full selective write off by southern banks of the debt owed to the north is not something the EU and the EMU would survive, that's pretty much self evident. All financial transactions from north to south would come to a stand still, the south would have no choice but to quit the EMU since they would be unable to finance their deficits (who is going to still lend them money?).

Nationalism would do the rest.

So you want WW3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

effectual posted:

So you want WW3?

No, just a break up of the EMU. Why delay the inevitable? Of course it will be painful but I'd rather rip off the band aid fast instead of torturing ordinary people for a few decades for the sake of idealism and the vested interest of the status quo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lagotto posted:

It would have been the cheap solution for the northern block. It would have let to the bankruptcy of the Greek banks and quite a few of the Spanish and Italian banks, since they were far more exposed to eachother and owed far more money domestically then externally. There is no way Spain could have financed their own bail out.

Even if the southern financial sector could manage the above a full selective write off by southern banks of the debt owed to the north is not something the EU and the EMU would survive, that's pretty much self evident. All financial transactions from north to south would come to a stand still, the south would have no choice but to quit the EMU since they would be unable to finance their deficits (who is going to still lend them money?).

Nationalism would do the rest.
Thanks, that makes sense, as much as anything to do with the EU makes sense.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lagotto posted:

It would have been far cheaper for Germany, The Netherlands and France etc. to bail out their own banks directly, something they have had to do to an extent already anyways.

I always advocated for this, clean start and all. Would have been the end of the banking union and the EMU though, so the politicians opted for the monstrosity we are in right now.

Was there enough money for Northern Europe to do this before Dragi came into the ECB though? The German and French banks' assets were larger than GDP.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Arglebargle III posted:

Was there enough money for Northern Europe to do this before Dragi came into the ECB though? The German and French banks' assets were larger than GDP.

Yes, Germany would have been able to mobilize €40 billion to cover all Spanish assets held by German banks without any problem.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arglebargle III posted:

Bank assets are not the same as exposure to bad debt

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Bank assets are not the same as exposure to bad debt

Could you expand on this a little?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Who is Hans-Werner Sinn and why is he saying that next one out of EU/Euro is Finland?

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Puistokemisti posted:

Who is Hans-Werner Sinn and why is he saying that next one out of EU/Euro is Finland?

He's probably the most influential economist in Germany. He thinks that, given the decline of the Finnish economy as a result of the implosion of Nokia, the paper industry, the effect of sanctions against Russia, and of course the aftermath of the global financial crisis, Finland needs a devaluation of its currency. Since it is now comprehensively clear that internal devaluation of the kind pursued in Southern Europe doesn't work, the only other option is external devaluation, i.e. leaving the euro. Sinn seems to think that Finland leaving the euro would be much less painful than it would be in Southern Europe, since those countries at the moment rely on the ECB's printing press to keep the interest rate on their debt down, and Finland not so much.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Let he who is without Sinn cast the first stone (I dunno what I mean by this)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
He might be right but there is no political support for it currently.

Although, since Väyrynen now has his own party and is making appearances as Kekkonen maybe that will change. If you wrote a book with a character like him in it critics would say it's ridiculous and unrealistic. Bless you Paavo.

*thought this was the Finnish politics thread but whatever, Europeans can learn about Paavo Väyrynen too*

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

The political support for leaving EU/Euro is around 25% in Finland (in one poll there was actually more support for leaving the EU than leaving the Euro, go figure.) This is not exactly an issue that most Finns view only through the prism of economy but rather things like our desire to belong to the West and so on.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arglebargle III posted:

Could you expand on this a little?

The German/French banking systems might have a lot of assets (more than 100% of GDP), however most of the assets will not be loans to the periphery, and not all loans to the periphery will default, and loans that default do not lose 100% of their value. Hence the key number is German exposure to Italian banks, not the size of the German banking system.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They were using their zero risk Eurozone government bonds as their safe investments though, and were into them in a big way. I don't know exactly the numbers.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Finland is leaving nowhere during this government. Shame.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ligur posted:

I wish you would though!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Friendly Humour posted:

I wish you would though!

Afraid I'll ruin the economy, aren't you?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ligur posted:

Afraid I'll ruin the economy, aren't you?

Probably keeping it stagnant unless you're a multi-millionaire venture capitalist.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ligur posted:

Don't worry, they're effective at keeping themselves isolated by being extremely toxic.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pluskut Tukker posted:

He's probably the most influential economist in Germany.

Also one of the more idiotic. He compared managers to Jews as "taking the blame" for the 2007 crisis for god's sake.
Luckily, since most of his predictions turn out to be bullshit he get's less airtime in the last few years.

Also the most goony beard of all the poo poo-stirrer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Reading through that austerity book by Mark Blyth now. Only 70 pages in but it's a pretty grim read so far. The euro sounds more hosed than ever, the european situation sounds more hosed than ever.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

Reading through that austerity book by Mark Blyth now. Only 70 pages in but it's a pretty grim read so far. The euro sounds more hosed than ever, the european situation sounds more hosed than ever.

You don't know much about European history I see.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh pedantry, how original.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Please tell me when the European situation was less hosed than with the Euro?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Please tell me when the European situation was less hosed than with the Euro?

A brief window between the 27th of June and the 2nd of July in 1983.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tesseraction posted:

A brief window between the 27th of June and the 2nd of July in 1983.

Nah, you'd need to go back to before Thatcher was in the European Communities.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
https://twitter.com/StefanLeifert/status/752491553503973376

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I've read a lot about how Greece has had high levels of debt for basically forever and they fudged numbers to get into the EU. After getting into the EU, they exploited the new stabler economy by borrowing like crazy and when 2008 came, it all backfired. By "they" I mean the politicians and bankers who were allowed to get away with all this and not Mr and Mrs Citizen Papadopoulos.

How much truth is there to this and if true, how does the responsibility lie with Germany?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Baxta posted:

I've read a lot about how Greece has had high levels of debt for basically forever and they fudged numbers to get into the EU. After getting into the EU, they exploited the new stabler economy by borrowing like crazy and when 2008 came, it all backfired. By "they" I mean the politicians and bankers who were allowed to get away with all this and not Mr and Mrs Citizen Papadopoulos.

How much truth is there to this and if true, how does the responsibility lie with Germany?

That's a pretty accurate picture of what happened and Germany is responsible because we let them in for political reasons.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

German and French banks loaned Greece the money, then when Greece couldn't pay germany forced the rest of the EU to loan Greece money, which was then immediately payed back to those banks. Greece was left with the debt, the banks never had to take the hit for loaning money to someone who can't pay it back, and the taxpayers were left with the bill.

What should've happened is Greece defaulting and leaving the Euro, and the banks that were too big to fail should've been bailed out directly but also nationalized.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

doverhog posted:

German and French banks loaned Greece the money, then when Greece couldn't pay germany forced the rest of the EU to loan Greece money, which was then immediately payed back to those banks. Greece was left with the debt, the banks never had to take the hit for loaning money to someone who can't pay it back, and the taxpayers were left with the bill.

What should've happened is Greece defaulting and leaving the Euro, and the banks that were too big to fail should've been bailed out directly but also nationalized.

Yeah it really sounds like Greece should never have been allowed to join the EU. They would have still been lent money though, just at higher interest rates. I find it odd that there seems to be a lot of blame going to the lenders and little to the borrowers. It seems logical that if Greece lied about their economical figures and people lent them money based on that information, it would hardly be the fault of the lenders...

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's the responsibility of a lender to not believe whatever lies someone tells them to get money. Once the money is handed over, if the borrower cannot pay it back, the bank loses that money. They are not supposed to get it from tax payers instead.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

doverhog posted:

It's the responsibility of a lender to not believe whatever lies someone tells them to get money. Once the money is handed over, if the borrower cannot pay it back, the bank loses that money. They are not supposed to get it from tax payers instead.

There isn't a single country in the world where that happens to my knowledge. Even in a very simplified Bank -> consumer lending scenario, the bank can garnish wages and assets to pay back loans. Just in the case of a loan to an entire country, the entire country pays.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yes, but Greece couldn't pay. They were handed the money to pay by the EU, so the losses will be on the EU countries instead of the banks.

If there are no wages or assets to garnish the money is gone.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

doverhog posted:

Yes, but Greece couldn't pay. They were handed the money to pay by the EU, so the losses will be on the EU countries instead of the banks.

If there are no wages or assets to garnish the money is gone.

There are of course wages and assets. One would argue its unethical to take them though as it is not the fault of the Greek people, rather their corrupt officials. Banks in general don't forgive large loans and they wont in the case of Greece. There seems to be no way to fix the Greek problem. Even if the debt was written off and a law passed to forbid lending to Greece, they would still manage to get dodgy loans due to the corrupt nature of the officials in power.

I suppose the only thing that could be done is throw them out of the EU, write off the debts and let them destroy themselves. Its pretty sad.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Can't destroy themselves much worse. They had a regular, working internal business model back in the day before the crazy loans for the public sector.

Just gently caress off from the eurozone and the EU, take back their own currency and let things settle. How much worse could it be? A horrible year or two? How is that worse than now? Especially since it has become clear they will never get out of the hole with the Troika.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Ligur posted:

Can't destroy themselves much worse. They had a regular, working internal business model back in the day before the crazy loans for the public sector.

Just gently caress off from the eurozone and the EU, take back their own currency and let things settle. How much worse could it be? A horrible year or two? How is that worse than now? Especially since it has become clear they will never get out of the hole with the Troika.

Well not really, they have always been crippled by the corrupt actions of their governments. I don't see the "troika" writing off all debts though and even if they did, history shows that they would just screw themselves as soon as they had enough stability to borrow again. Their whole political and financial elite class need to be shot into the sun and let them start from scratch but its another thing that wont ever happen :(

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The only way I know how to recover from that is, from experience:
- Enter default, unemployment and poverty shoots through the roof
- Elect a populist government that distributes social plans to at least stimulate the economy somewhat
- Have some really really good exports for a couple years, enough that even your politicians can't manage to steal it all and the country manages to prosper despite all efforts to the contrary
- Congratulations your country is now back to some semblance of health. Unfortunately now the populist government is heavily entrenched in power and has ramped up its stealing efforts to 11, so the next step will be people electing a neo-liberal government that will privatize everything and you will begin the cycle anew.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Baxta posted:

There isn't a single country in the world where that happens to my knowledge. Even in a very simplified Bank -> consumer lending scenario, the bank can garnish wages and assets to pay back loans. Just in the case of a loan to an entire country, the entire country pays.

That's almost literally what the Troika has been doing for the last 5 years and it has only increased government debt and decreased economic activity. Thanks to your stellar 'oh but it's ethical' advice Greece is further from paying of its debts than it was when it started. You can't save yourself out of a sovereign debt crisis. A national economy is not a household you loving idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
At this point it's probably important to remind people that Wolfgang Schäuble reportedly offered Greece to default on their debt and quit the Euro - which the Greek government refused.

The blame for the Greek shitshow lies with the Greek people who have are seemingly unable to not elect people that are only interested in their friends and clients.