Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Which inside ending do I do first. I kept dieing at the river, found weird orb thing, then found out it was a secret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Which inside ending do I do first. I kept dieing at the river, found weird orb thing, then found out it was a secret
I did the one that ends with a lovely view on the beach after a nice mountain stroll.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

you pretty much have to get to the end of the game to get all the orbs so your call

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

There are quite a few to find. Odds are you wont find them all on your first run. I thought I found a good amount until I looked at the achievement list.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
So what does everyone think about Betrayer, perhaps the weirdest Far Cry DLC ever?
People only mention its black and white art style, but there's so much more to it than that. A freeroam ghost shooter with loot where you collect clues to help you uncover different tales of betrayal in the fictionalized version of the Lost Colony?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony
Yeah, it's actually weirder than this sounds.
The first half, when you constantly get stomped by rear end in a top hat monsters as you try to learn the rules of this world are bewildering, spooky and fun. Then you learn all the tricks, and the game suddenly drops loads of cash and state of the art XVI-century gear in your lap for no reason, and things get a little more tedious. But the story's neat and more than a little gruesome, definitely worth going through a couple unexciting hours.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I like it, but it's a very conditional like and I will freely admit to never finishing it. The good parts are exploring the world, unraveling the secrets, and sneaking up on monsters. The bad parts are the battles with waves of monsters and frequently losing track of what you should be doing. I'd say it's worth trying but definitely not for everyone.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I played it on easiest settings. Otherwise constant ambushes would get infuriating.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm sure the thread has already talked about it but I didn't see it linked in the OP, so: Is there any more info on Year of the Ladybug outside of the twitter/homepage? A lot of the concept art gives me the heebie jeebies something fierce.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

I'm sure the thread has already talked about it but I didn't see it linked in the OP, so: Is there any more info on Year of the Ladybug outside of the twitter/homepage? A lot of the concept art gives me the heebie jeebies something fierce.

Looks good op

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

woodenchicken posted:

So what does everyone think about Betrayer, perhaps the weirdest Far Cry DLC ever?
People only mention its black and white art style, but there's so much more to it than that. A freeroam ghost shooter with loot where you collect clues to help you uncover different tales of betrayal in the fictionalized version of the Lost Colony?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony
Yeah, it's actually weirder than this sounds.
The first half, when you constantly get stomped by rear end in a top hat monsters as you try to learn the rules of this world are bewildering, spooky and fun. Then you learn all the tricks, and the game suddenly drops loads of cash and state of the art XVI-century gear in your lap for no reason, and things get a little more tedious. But the story's neat and more than a little gruesome, definitely worth going through a couple unexciting hours.
It's fine, but play the first couple of areas and you've seen absolutely everything the game has to offer. Absolutely knocks it out of the park on ambient sound design, some of the best I've heard in years.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Echoing the above, I liked Betrayer but after putting in...Steam says 4 hours, I have absolutely no motivation to open the thing again and finish it.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'd definitely watch Harshly Critical play that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The biggest problem I've had with Betrayer so far is that it's very obtuse about where to go. You're apparently supposed to use a sound cue triggered by a key press to find where you're going? But it doesn't tell you what sound you're actually listening for.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I'm just echoing other posters, but I loved Betrayer, for about 3 or so hours. It has amazing atmosphere and I lost myself for those three hours, but I really have no motivation or interest to go back to it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I feel the same about Betrayer. It's a dumb, objectiveless game yet there's something that keeps me drawn in and I don't understand why.

chitoryu12 posted:

The biggest problem I've had with Betrayer so far is that it's very obtuse about where to go. You're apparently supposed to use a sound cue triggered by a key press to find where you're going? But it doesn't tell you what sound you're actually listening for.

There are no sound cues. You press a button and "clues" automatically populate your map.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
You listen either for cursed items saying "come here" or ghosts that say "help me sista" - including unmapped ones that had their skulls taken to make Skull Ghosts. There are sounds in the Normal World too, but they are quieter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

I feel the same about Betrayer. It's a dumb, objectiveless game yet there's something that keeps me drawn in and I don't understand why.

There are no sound cues. You press a button and "clues" automatically populate your map.

I thought the tutorial said to use the sound to find stuff? Either I badly misread it or it's not too clear. It's been a week since I played.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I thought the tutorial said to use the sound to find stuff? Either I badly misread it or it's not too clear. It's been a week since I played.

Well yes, press this key to listen to the wind to find stuff... then cross reference the map we just auto-populated.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

al-azad posted:

Well yes, press this key to listen to the wind to find stuff... then cross reference the map we just auto-populated.

Did that get patched in, because I feel like I tried that and it did not populate the map for you and there were definitely things you had to play ghost Marco Polo with?

Echoing: I played it, I had some frustration and some enjoyment. I never went back in to try to be completionist even though that's totally one of my personality flaws.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The Ladybug game looks amazing but I have to hold back hope seeing as their still shopping to publishers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

When I played Betrayer there was a wooshing sound in the direction of the way point and it also lit up your compass when you looked in the right direction, then you just move towards the marker. Worked for me.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The Ladybug game looks amazing but I have to hold back hope seeing as their still shopping to publishers.

Yeah the site makes it seem like it's just two people "working" on it - an illustrator and a guy that has cool ideas. They're pitching a triple-A game concept out into the void and wanting a developer to pick it up. They won't have a demo because they don't have the means to create a videogame on any level.

The art scratches that spooky itch but Zybourne Clock had more going for it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also the monsters look more goofy than scary.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

Also the monsters look more goofy than scary.

No

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
drat, I didn't realize there was no actual work being done on the game part. I read "two man team" and immediately figured it was one programmer and one artist. That sucks :smith:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why don't they whip something up in unity. it isn't that hard.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

You still need some programming knowledge to do anything in Unity.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Glad to see that someone else is scared of a man with a flashlight in his head like a cartoon.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

Glad to see that someone else is scared of a man with a flashlight in his head like a cartoon.

what are you afraid of?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

A. Beaverhausen posted:

what are you afraid of?

Loud noises and sudden movement

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Original ideas are good. Zombie games are common.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Eh, the concept art slowly degrades into hilarity. You've got me with Silent Hill sex monsters and centipede pedo, you lost me at Potted-Plant-Head-Man and Japanese schoolgirl who gives herself a Glasgow smile.

Honestly whoever did the art could make a wicked visual novel/adventure game. Or even an webcomic with sounds and animations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Safari Disco Lion posted:

You still need some programming knowledge to do anything in Unity.

i'm a retard with programming but there are enough tutorials out there to put together the horror game they want or at least a demo to shop around.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Loud noises and sudden movement

You don't think thats trite? I mean that poo poo scares me too, but that's lazy horror.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You don't think thats trite? I mean that poo poo scares me too, but that's lazy horror.

I'm also scared of people tapping on the glass of my tank

brand name canned soup
Aug 20, 2009

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
(clap clap clap clap)
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
(clap clap clap clap)

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Original ideas are good. Zombie games are common.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Like Bonsai Man could work in a more surreal non-horror game like Space Funeral or OFF but in a straight horror game he's just super goofy.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Some of these just look to be a victim of poor, awkward translation. But yeah hopefully if they do end up making or trying to make an actual game they'll weed out some of those more goofy designs.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Why can't surrealist horror be a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand name canned soup
Aug 20, 2009

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
(clap clap clap clap)
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
(clap clap clap clap)

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Why can't surrealist horror be a thing?

it can be. theres just no room for bonsai man there