Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Gato posted:

- I kept waiting for there to be some twist with Eric because his backstory just seemed too obvious complete with an abusive dad straight out of central casting (with standard anime voice acting) literally going 'shut up and get me a beer you brat' but no, turns out he really was just a messed-up guy with no ulterior motives. I guess it's sort of a meta-twist to have a genuine ordinary person with no secret connection to anybody else in the cast after the two previous games?

Eric has the connection to Mira, who killed Eric's mother, which was the crime Akane's Dad was falsely accused of-so technically she kicked everything into gear, snail be damned

Which means that in the epilogue where Sean breaks her out of prison to go stop her past self with Eric, they're actually doing the "preventing all of this from happening", including 999/VLR/the events before those too, possibly without even realising it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's the set up for the eventual slice of life vn.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I finished Zero Time Dilemma yesterday and I really didn't like it. The first two games had this sawlike murder-mystery-death-puzzle vibe going, where every choice I made unfolded into a horrendous trainwreck as the consequences of everyone's decisions snowballed right in front of me. The scifi wank was there, but it was vague and simple enough for me to just accept it without too much thinking.

ZTD by comparison went with these weird story fragments and the first thing this did to me was that I never felt involved in the story, because half the time I didn't even know the context of what was happening. Okay it's like cool that Junpei got murdered but uhm what timeline are we in, what are the choices that brought us here, and why are you guys already going at each other with chainsaws and why does it happen in this timeline specifically, like what's the significance, whoops, guess I'll kill myself and channel-surf somewhere else, okay.

When I make a choice I don't get to further explore that branch of the timeline and see the result, because the game wants me to randomly jump between scenes. This also means the pacing is bad because the devs can't know what order you watch the individual fragments in, and because you're switching between isolated teams all the time so the narrative of any team's given timeline is confined to one or two scenes anyway. Isolating teams also seriously limits the interactions between most of the cast, and one thing that I thought made VLR so interesting was to watch the changing social dynamics as the AB game went on.

Then there's all this stuff about how SHIFTing is now an official superpower with its own rulebook and they just explain the gently caress out of something that actually makes very little sense if we're being honest, and the whole story comes off as more of a device for the creator to explain his multiverse setting to me and I guess he also had like 90 open ends to tie up so ticking off those boxes eats up a good chunk of story estate.

I dunno it's hard to really define what makes me dislike this game so much, because some of those things are also present in the previous games in some way. I guess I'm just disappointed that ZTD shifted its focus from the character dynamics towards worldbuilding and replaced branching narratives with a series of loosely connected snapshots that try to ramp up the "mystery" by confusing me about where I am in the story. I jump between isolated scenes, watch meaningless drama happen inside a vacuum, bla bla bla multiverse morphogenic field schrödingers cat, and then I'm randomly teleported somewhere else, and half of the mysteries and murders boil down to "Mira did it because she's crazy and I guess I thought it was a good idea to let her run around :shrug:"

And the cutscene animations are goofy as gently caress.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R8S8CHNZ6SUFW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B010U1DNE8

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
Just finished this game and I'd say it's my least favorite of the three. 999 still takes the top spot for me in spite of the unrefined method for which replays occurred. While I liked the setting and game theme for ZTD more than VLR, the characterizations and interactions just weren't there for me. I feel like they kind of decided to coast by on a lot of the characters on account of most players being somewhat familiar with them and instead opted to focus on the goofy psuedo-science of SHIFTing. Usually these games leave me with strong feelings one way or another about any given character, which is something I really enjoy, but this one was so tepid. Eric was like Dio without any charm, Mira felt like a plot device, and most of the old characters seemed stock. Carlos and Sean were the only ones that brought anything to the table for me, and I would have liked to see more of that kind of thing. That said, the puzzles were fun and I certainly don't regret playing it. I kind of liked the idea of piecing the different fragments together with the knowledge of memory loss there as the explanation for them. It was suitably disorienting and I feel like they achieved what they were going for.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Random fragment picking gave me the knowledge that Junpei was dead in that Team C timeline long before I did the Pantry puzzle that utilizes it the best

it kinda ruined what would've been a decent twist I think

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

My disappointment is that Junpei never really blows up on Akane for horribly murdering people in 999 and forcing him to go through the nonary game twice, ostensibly. I was waiting for that to pay off but nah Akane continues to think she's an arbiter of justice when she's definitely one of the craziest people in the whole series.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm down on the game as a whole but I actually liked the bouncing-around-out-of-sequence structure of the plot. While, as the above poster said, you do miss out on the cascading clusterfucks that arose in the first two games' structure, it gave its own new sense of mystery and disorientation.

Although none of the characters must have seen Memento because in their situation I'd think the rational thing to do would be to start carving notes into your arm whenever something important happened.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
When I first saw the disjointed plot structure with the mind wiping, I originally thought Zero was going to make them think they were in different timelines and have them loop through some of the scenarios in the same timeline, just to mess with them, and have them be unable to tell if they were shifting or not, and the actual canonical order was going to be some super weird path where people dying offscreen doesn't actually happen. I'm not sure where I thought that was going to go but I thought it would have been a cool reverse twist on what's going on.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm genuinely surprised the common pre-release thought of "One of the teams isn't playing the game in the same time period as the others" isn't actually a twist

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Shear Modulus posted:

Although none of the characters must have seen Memento because in their situation I'd think the rational thing to do would be to start carving notes into your arm whenever something important happened.

BABY... DELTA...?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm down on the game as a whole but I actually liked the bouncing-around-out-of-sequence structure of the plot. While, as the above poster said, you do miss out on the cascading clusterfucks that arose in the first two games' structure, it gave its own new sense of mystery and disorientation.

Well apparently Clover did if we go by VLR then!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just finished the game and I liked it a lot, the twists were really goofy and I'm okay with Evil Steve Jobs Mind Hacker.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

Is there any reason that Sigma's arms look like this in the VLR Beginning or End whatever-the-gently caress, when ABT and all of that clearly already exists in 2029 as evidenced by Sean's general existence? I always figured that the technology existed by the time 2074 rolls around, but it wasn't quite as advanced in 2029, but once I got to the Sean's a robot revelation, that was all I could think about. It could have just been for shock value in VLR and I'm way overthinking it though :shobon:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I thought Sigma had real-looking arms, but the fake flesh was stripped away at some point? I remember him bleeding white was a plot point.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

I'm genuinely surprised the common pre-release thought of "One of the teams isn't playing the game in the same time period as the others" isn't actually a twist

It'd be seen as a recycled Ever17 twist if that happened.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Extra Tasty posted:

Is there any reason that Sigma's arms look like this in the VLR Beginning or End whatever-the-gently caress, when ABT and all of that clearly already exists in 2029 as evidenced by Sean's general existence? I always figured that the technology existed by the time 2074 rolls around, but it wasn't quite as advanced in 2029, but once I got to the Sean's a robot revelation, that was all I could think about. It could have just been for shock value in VLR and I'm way overthinking it though :shobon:

I just assumed that those were like temporary replacements.

The real answer was that they had to look all spooky and stuff for effect.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just realized that every single timeline in that game has an extra copy of Carlos hanging around somewhere in the Nevada desert, but in only one of those timelines does he attempt any kind of rescue. What a dick

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Carlos was still thinking of That One Sci-Fi Movie Featuring M. He was too afraid of changing history and creating a time paradox.

So once again, it's all Akane's fault.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Wait, that's a good point. Why isn't Carlos busting down doors in the other timelines? How did he know that the correct sequence of events had occurred that signal him being in the timeline he wanted? Carlos knows too much, man.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Wait, that's a good point. Why isn't Carlos busting down doors in the other timelines? How did he know that the correct sequence of events had occurred that signal him being in the timeline he wanted? Carlos knows too much, man.

Too busy spending time with Maria in the hospital.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Because we only see the carefully curated set of timelines where he only busts in in the right timeline (we are pretty bad at being a fourth dimensional entity it turns out)

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The Radical-6 outbreak was probably a good indicator, since somehow there was actually only one timeline it managed to escape in. I can't remember whether Carlos had knowledge of that, though.... Let;s just say morphogenetic field and call it a day.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

The Radical-6 outbreak was probably a good indicator, since somehow there was actually only one timeline it managed to escape in. I can't remember whether Carlos had knowledge of that, though.... Let;s just say morphogenetic field and call it a day.

He explicitly didn't have knowledge of it at the time.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

It's been a long time so I didn't even remember Kyle etc. Anyone have a quick summary on what they were hinting at in VLR that was ultimately ignored in ZTD?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In the epilogue of VLR Akane specifically states that Kyle had jumped back to 2028 through a mechanism that was unexplained. He doesn't have a body in 2028 so we didn't know how that would be possible.

In addition, the person she's telling this to is an unknown entity (the dialogue box labels it as "?") inhabiting Kyle's body in 2028. She explains that this entity doesn't follow the normal rules and will be going back to 2028 as well and will be the key to changing the past (since Old Sigma had failed).

From Ever17 it can be inferred that "?" is actually Blick Winkel, a fourth dimensional being not bound by spacetime who can inhabit the bodies of others and jump freely between time periods and timelines. There's evidence in ZTD that Blick Winkel was indeed involved - it's very likely that the player was effectively playing as BW jumping between timelines and transferring information between different characters. Unlike Ever17 and VLR however, this was not explicitly acknowledged so not everyone caught it or was even aware it was a possibility.

As for Kyle there's no evidence whatsoever of his presence in ZTD so who knows what happened with him.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnvpslNOFIQ

The Witness
Jul 2, 2012
Is it possible that Delta is ? across all three ZE games?

Keep in mind that Delta isn't a shifter, but being in a group of shifters can allow you to jump through time like Eric and Mira during the ending. Also, Delta's Esper abilities allow him to access the morphogenetic fields.

In previous Uchikoshi games, '?' was a stand in for the player who has god like abilities.

In 999 Akane needed ? to help her search across different time lines to save herself, and that is us by passing info between the top and bottom screens of the DS.
In VLR, ? is needed to complete the conscious transfer, and it may be a nod to Ever17.
In ZTD, we are still ?, but this time it turns out we are Delta making the decisions and learning about all the possible futures.

What are your thoughts?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The thing is, ?/Blick Winkel doesn't seem to push people's consciousness out of them when he observes them. That's a SHIFT thing. So the one thing that kinda makes sense to me is that the consciousness that wakes up in Kyle's body at the end of VLR is Delta's, and Blick Winkel just happens to be observing that point in history - and Akane is aware of this. So first, she explains to Delta that he's swapped bodies with Kyle, and then later address Blick Winkel and tells him to go watch that, too. It opens the possibility that Kyle is not just a clone of Sigma, but a clone of Delta; which explains why the two were able to swap consciousnesses.

Of course none of this is actually substantiated by ingame poo poo. It's just a vaguely consistent idea.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
So for those of us who want to actually experience the Ever17 stuff is there just no way to do it outside of :filez:?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah just download it, the company that brought it over has long since go under

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

So for those of us who want to actually experience the Ever17 stuff is there just no way to do it outside of :filez:?

You sometimes see copies on ebay. Maybe $250 or so?

The japanese version is buyable as a download if you want to support the creators people who picked up the licensing rights in a fire sale.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

gently caress I can't stop thinking about how D Team owns and how I totally want them to live a happy family life together

I'm one step removed from writing fanfiction.

If I write some I promise I'll post it here

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So what the hell happens to 22 year old Sigma's mind? If I recall, the plan was that he'd return to his body after they managed to stop Radical 6 from spreading, but they also talked about Kyle and such there so obviously that was thrown out the window. Does young Sigma just not get a happy ending?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

young sigma gets to spend 45 years alone on the moon becoming old sigma to close the loop.

he does get to be with diana though

until she dies

young sigma has it rough

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

young sigma gets to spend 45 years alone on the moon becoming old sigma to close the loop.

he does get to be with diana though

until she dies

young sigma has it rough

young sigma does eventually get to become ZTD sigma, doesn't he?

so at least he'll get a happy ending after many years of bullshit

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Sigma's timeline is this
Get knocked out at college
Get shifted into virtues last reward
Do vlr
Get shifted back in time to ztd
Do ztd, get arms blown off
Get replacements, bang Diana on the moon
Do science sorcery
Set up vlr
Shift back into young body
Live life?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Luna Was Here posted:

Mission accomplished am I right

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Luna Was Here posted:

Sigma's timeline is this
Get knocked out at college
Get shifted into virtues last reward
Do vlr
Get shifted back in time to ztd
Do ztd, get arms blown off
Do science sorcery
Set up vlr
Shift back into young body
Live life?

Nah, it's more like:

Get knocked out at college.
Get SHIFTed to VLR.
Do VLR.
Get SHIFTed to four months after the ZTD Apocalypse ending.
Go to the moon.
Spend 3 years falling in love with Diana only to watch her die.
Spend 42 more years mastering a variety of sciences including AI programming, human cloning, robotics engineering and game design.
Set up VLR.
Shift back to college when your young self was knocked out.
Go to DCom.
Get kidnapped for ZTD.
Do ZTD.
Live in your young body with your old man mind because why the gently caress would you SHIFT back to that hellhole future when you have the woman of your dreams and your improbable time daughter? (And maybe your Diet Wesker improbable time son if Carlos decides not to kill him.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
And then Diana's journey in the VLR timeline:

-Get abused by husband
-Divorce him
-Endure harassment from him
-Go to DCOM, suffer through ZTD
-End up causing a pandemic that kills 6 billion people
-Four months later, finds a young Sigma that has probably no idea who she is