Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

atomicthumbs posted:

i wish this game worked like real pokemon because i feel like i'm gonna get tired of it real quick.

otoh i caught a dratini and named it "meme's"

if they replace the combat system with turn-based this game will never die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Cleretic posted:

So this game was pretty fun the one time I played it on Saturday, but ever since then I've been unable to get a GPS signal in my game. Is that a known thing for Galaxy S5s enough that there might be a solution, or am I hosed? It's not my device itself, that can get access to Google Maps and all other features I can be bothered using just fine. It's only Go that can't do it.

I have an S5 active and it works fine, but I had to turn off mock locations in the Dev options. I'm also running GPS only. I tried high accuracy mode and it didn't seem to do much of anything.

I just got a cheap :10bux: mount for my bike to put my phone in. Gonna hatch some eggs/hit some pokestops like a boss. It's hard to tell when something shows up to capture, though.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Good thing I downloaded it at work then

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Olothreutes posted:

I have an S5 active and it works fine, but I had to turn off mock locations in the Dev options. I'm also running GPS only. I tried high accuracy mode and it didn't seem to do much of anything.

I just got a cheap :10bux: mount for my bike to put my phone in. Gonna hatch some eggs/hit some pokestops like a boss. It's hard to tell when something shows up to capture, though.

For some reason, turning on high accuracy fixed it. So I went out for a walk to test my hypothesis I cameup iwth on Saturday.

Not only was I right about a Gastly spawning in the park near by apartment that's full of memorials, I now have a Gastly! Unfortunately, only one Gastly's not a very useful thing to have.

SynthOrange posted:

Thats bull, I work 10km from my home and still catch bats rats and mutant birds

Melbourne problems. We must be a loving cave, because we got Zubats like nobody's business.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

SynthOrange posted:

I did download Ingress though and the tip from earlier about looking for xm sparkles has really helped me catch more pokemon.

Yo the grass/leaf puffs work on the same basis as the xm sparkles. For example, the Walmart parking lot has gently caress tons of leaves popping up and also gently caress tons of pokemon spawning, so does the college campus.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think the biome I live in makes water and grass types impossible to find. (SoCal, Chaparral) Thank god one of my eevees evolved into a vaporeon, because the gyms here are filled to the brim with fire and ground types. I just felled an entire rank 3 valor gym with a 640cp Vaporeon.

I have yet to see a ghost type, yet friends in Vancouver are swimming in them and drowzees. The pokedex needs the spawn-map function dammit!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I was standing, proud yellow, in the middle of a tennis court attacking a gym today while a couple coward blues hid in the bushes and whispered to each other. This is not a metaphor.

Kinda hosed up, these secret "trainers". Wouldn't even meet me mid-court for a proper battle.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Does sorting your pokes by hp just not work?

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

SynthOrange posted:

Does sorting your pokes by hp just not work?

It seems to work just fine for me

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Fix posted:

I was standing, proud yellow, in the middle of a tennis court attacking a gym today while a couple coward blues hid in the bushes and whispered to each other. This is not a metaphor.

Kinda hosed up, these secret "trainers". Wouldn't even meet me mid-court for a proper battle.

We yellows are made of sterner stuff.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Cool I love this buggy game. Went to buy 1200 coins for $10 and the app froze on loading after I hit buy. Force closed after 5 mins and repurchased and it charged me twice, but I got 2400 coins.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

FUUUUUUUCK

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Sorting by HP just sorts by CP for me. Just ran down the road in the dark to catch the last Growlithe I need to feed into the meat grinder to get an Arcanine. I was chased by a dog in the process of getting my first growlithe too. Augmented reality is powerful stuff.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Hope you brought an escape rope :v:

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
In my small-ish town, there's an extremely dense cluster of pokestops and a gym within a local graveyard. Myself and a buddy of mine drove past at 1 AM and found four adjacent stops all lured, so we stopped to check it out.

Long story short, we ended up meeting with a group of about 15-20 nerds hanging out in a random graveyard, playing pokemon in the wee hours of the morning on just a regular Monday night.

This game is cool sometimes.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

South Phoenix is blue territory though red is trying to make influxes. I'm too low level to help with the gym battling yet but the park behind my apartment complex has two gyms and twenty people in it from sundown until around midnight. Lures are up pretty often too.

No one wants to do anything in Phoenix before 8pm, it's pretty hilarious.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Do lures and incense stack? Like if I put a lure at a stop then activate an incense will I get even more Pokemon spawning?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Clearly I delineated farm towns from sundown towns, but I guess that requires actually reading. Also, let's not act like there isn't any overlap between the 2.

And you clearly don't know what a sundown town is.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

UV_Catastrophe posted:

In my small-ish town, there's an extremely dense cluster of pokestops and a gym within a local graveyard. Myself and a buddy of mine drove past at 1 AM and found four adjacent stops all lured, so we stopped to check it out.

Long story short, we ended up meeting with a group of about 15-20 nerds hanging out in a random graveyard, playing pokemon in the wee hours of the morning on just a regular Monday night.

This game is cool sometimes.
There's a little graveyard right next to the shopping center that's the gym. And then there's 8 stops in a five minute short loop around it. My area is super condensed.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
I'm playing with my 7 year old daughter, we caught maybe 10 poke-mans so far, she was so excited to get a Meowth cause she likes cats. We went to the local park which has maybe 5 pokestops scattered throughout and it was like the children of the corn. There were literal hordes of people wandering around with their phones out, I'd say at least 80% of the 40-50 people around the playground and pool were clearly catching Pokemon. We must have walked about 3 miles today, and even evolved our Pidgey she decided to name "Redwings". It was fun.

Then I checked this thread to try and find out what the grass particles do and half of you are like "Yeah, game's been out 3 days but I put my 2000 cp Snorlax on the nearest gym while we lure-farmed 4 overlapping poke-stops for 10 hours straight, I'm just not sure theres enough depth to keep me playing 12 months from now".

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 12, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You forgot 'There's no way to interact with other players'

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Someone is definitely getting shanked in a graveyard within a week. Calling it now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pokemon players have already found two dead corpses so far.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Chewbot posted:

I'm playing with my 7 year old daughter, we caught maybe 10 poke-mans so far, she was so excited to get a Meowth cause she likes cats. We went to the local park which has maybe 5 pokestops scattered throughout and it was like the children on the corn. There were literal hordes of people wandering around with their phones out, I'd say at least 80% of the 40-50 people around the playground and pool were clearly catching Pokemon. We must have walked about 3 miles today, and even evolved our Pidgey she decided to name "Redwings". It was fun.

Then I checked this thread to try and find out what the grass particles do and half of you are like "Yeah, I put my 2000 cp Snorlax on the nearest gym while we lure-farmed 4 overlapping poke-stops for 10 hours straight, I'm just not sure theres enough depth to keep me playing 12 months from now".

That's wonderful. :allears: I'm glad there's so many people playing. Can't wait for the European release so it'll be more like this instead of just the rare impatient idiot like me.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
There's a gym riiight outside my office. Somebody else already has it, despite the game not being out here.

It's in a walled off golf-course that I can't access easily.

This is driving me crazy. :shepface:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Attestant posted:

There's a gym riiight outside my office. Somebody else already has it, despite the game not being out here.

It's in a walled off golf-course that I can't access easily.

This is driving me crazy. :shepface:

You know what you must do.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I might have found a fix for the pokeball freeze that forces you to reset the app. I had turned off my phone's high accuracy GPS in an attempt to cause my avatar to jitter around for egg hatching while at home. When I went out for a pokemon run, I forgot to turn it back on, but lo and behold, I very rarely ever had to reset it again. Prior to this I was freezing 4 out of 5 times. I had to reset maybe 1 in 20 afterward.

I've had my phone set to GPS-only for the past few days and it does seem more stable, although considering how many different ways this game glitches that could be correlation not causation. High-accuracy mode gathers a lot more data from nearby wifi spots and cellphone base stations, and this game is pretty terrible at handling any changes in the phone's connection.

That seems like a pretty big concern for a game where the entire objective is to go outside and hunt down pokemons. Whenever I leave work/home wifi and connect to 4G, that's a crash. Whenever I wander into range of some local saved wifi hotspots, that's a crash. I hate to think what it would be like if I had autoconnect to wifi enabled. Travel outside of town to an area with only 3G coverage, that's a crash although since the game refuses to even load with anything less than a 4G connection it's a moot point.

It's really irritating and I don't understand why it's like this. The underlying OSes (Android/iOS) have had this poo poo figured out for years and every other app takes advantage of that. Imagine having to force quit and restart every single app each time your connection changed. It's a testament to how much fun this game is that I'm willing to put up with its crap.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Aithon posted:

That's wonderful. :allears: I'm glad there's so many people playing. Can't wait for the European release so it'll be more like this instead of just the rare impatient idiot like me.

Allegedly the US has had more active PoGo users this week than Twitter. That's nuts. We passed lots of people including our mailman who asked if she had found any pokemon (he must have seen it happening all day). It's probably the first time in my life I'd call something an actual epidemic, but in a fun way.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

You know what you must do.

I'm already googling bolt cutter prices so I can take down the fence.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh thinking about buying lures and incense already. nooo dont do it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

You forgot 'There's no way to interact with other players'

Most players are too young. I don't talk to them because I don't want to annoy them.

But if you are on a similar timeframe, you can try talking to them.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Chewbot posted:

Allegedly the US has had more active PoGo users this week than Twitter. That's nuts. We passed lots of people including our mailman who asked if she had found any pokemon (he must have seen it happening all day). It's probably the first time in my life I'd call something an actual epidemic, but in a fun way.

Yeah, I mean what can you say? My wife and I have always gone for walks through the neighborhood maybe a few times in a month, but it's been every day recently and we both really like it. Although she has no interest in Pokemon she likes the discovery, and throwing balls and spinning the things and getting the cute ones (no more purple rats). Also it's fun to point out other people "definitely doing the same thing". I'm extremely curious to see how long this ridiculous amount of hype lasts before it dwindles down to the people that just want gym control. Don't get me wrong I think this phenomenon is nothing but great for American culture as a whole. At the very least I hope it sparks a paradigm of a new way to play games. I'll grind inside for hours with the best of them but I welcome this kind of change. I think society desperately needs some kind of shot in the arm to bring people back in contact with each other. If they can turn it into a real game that would be superb.

SynthOrange posted:

Ugh thinking about buying lures and incense already. nooo dont do it.

Hahaha I've played IAP games for years without even an inkling of spending a dime but this game already has me fiending to drop a few dollars. My will has been tempered with horror stories from PAD players though so I think I'll still be able to resist, but still I want to make it out to a lure party. I wouldn't mind dropping a small amount of money for a community event.

psymonkey fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 12, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Get Google Opinion Rewards if you're on Android. Free IAP money.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Holy hell there is a level 10 blue gym on a college campus near me with a 52000 prestige rating. I am not going to disturb it, but I wonder if a rival college faction will try to topple it?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gfsincere posted:

And you clearly don't know what a sundown town is.

it sounds like a chapter in paper mario

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
My suburban neighborhood seems quite safe generally and I'm no stranger to being out and about in the middle of the night. I just went on a 2:00AM 3-mile walk and capped 5 gyms to snag some coins. Several people shouted "POKEMON GO?" or some such thing across the street or out of passing cars, I saw a few active lures, and I lost three of the gyms within half an hour; the amount of activity is goddamn ridiculous.

Then, on the way home, a pokémon showed up in range and shortly thereafter I heard some rustling in the bushes directly ahead of me. I figured it would be a raccoon or something... NOPE. Human being, poo poo poo poo poo poo. Turns out he was drunk as hell and didn't seem to even notice me as he stumbled and wobbled across the street, fell down on a porch, and lazily knocked on the door as he talked to himself. I think I'll be reassessing my nighttime sessions from now on.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Is the dongle available now or on the 31st?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Is the dongle available now or on the 31st?

31st. I'm gonna surprise my girlfriend with one. Unless she reads this thread.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I bet they'll sell out day one. Better jump on it.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Jonas Albrecht posted:

31st. I'm gonna surprise my girlfriend with one. Unless she reads this thread.

Thanks.

• Locked thread