Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think the hours are also severely limited, something like 10-15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

nickmeister posted:

I'm planning to go to Taiwan in the fall (Taoyuan) to study Mandarin on a student visa. Is it possible/viable to work teaching English once there? Is it possible/viable to do it legally? Thank you.

I hadn't heard that it was possible; I thought it was strictly illegal - shouldn't be hard, though. However, I don't recommend doing anything more than picking up a few hours here and there for some extra income, because splitting your time between study and work is a waste of time. I spent several months studying and working at the same time, with the ultimate effect that I was exhausted all the time and didn't really learn anything, and that time pressure's on top of the stress of moving to Taiwan and learning to do your job, if you haven't got any experience.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Thanks for the quick responses. I have discovered that it is possible, though it is limited to 20 hours maximum. While I agree studying and working in a foreign country will be a challenge, it will be a necessity I think, eventually. I got a scholarship that covers tuition for a year, but things like rent and food will eventually need to be paid for (I've saved about 4k USD).

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
afaik 16 is the maximum and has been for quite some time, unless it has changed in the last 6 months.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I was always under the impression that it was 15 hours, but otoh it's literally never applied to me so I've never had reason to care or find out.

Also it's Taiwan so it's less a matter of worrying about legality and more just of making sure you don't give the wrong person a reason to narc on you.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

It's your decision. But juggling moving to a new country where you're not proficient with the language, studying, learning a new job and working plus having a life in Taiwan is not something to take on lightly. That last point isn't something you can just ignore, by the way, as it's your motivation for coming to Taiwan; if you're not going to the night market, ordering pearl milk tea, and going to Alishan, why not stay at home and study? And "20 hours" means 20 hours teaching, not preparing lessons, marking, make-up lessons or doing random other crap your boss demands, probably 30+ hours in real life. As I say, I've done the same thing (but easier because I was already used to working in Taiwan) and it wiped out my life and I barely retained anything I learned in that period. It's not a good investment of your money and time.

I think I'd recommend either a) borrowing money, b) taking a few private students for less money and hours but also less stress (nb this is illegal) or c) not taking a job when you arrive, but a few months later to give yourself at least some time to settle in. This might mean looking for a six month contract or breaking contract when you have to leave Taiwan if you can't find one.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

House Louse posted:

if you're not going to the night market, ordering pearl milk tea, and going to Alishan, why not stay at home and study?

man I never do ANY of this poo poo anymore. except the occasional pearl milk tea

anyway, having cheap healthcare is pretty tight, and taiwan is neat as hell, all should come to our beautiful shores

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

nickmeister posted:

Thanks for the quick responses. I have discovered that it is possible, though it is limited to 20 hours maximum. While I agree studying and working in a foreign country will be a challenge, it will be a necessity I think, eventually. I got a scholarship that covers tuition for a year, but things like rent and food will eventually need to be paid for (I've saved about 4k USD).

I can't say poo poo for Taiwan, but I did something similar to you in Japan, and just lived cheap while working at a restaurant. It may or may not be possible to do there, but if you can move away from using English if at all possible and really immerse yourself it's definitely worth more than going half a year with minimal spending money.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
It's totally possible to get work while studying. Even if you don't get a work permit a lot of schools don't care. I worked 30 hours a week while studying for two years on a student visa.

I wouldn't recommend working that many hours but 10-15 is still a good chunk of money each month.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My friend has been working and studying for years in Taiwan and he's possibly the most miserable person I know.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
If you work + study get a work visa unless you are on scholarship. I got my permanent residency right quick because of that. And it removes any illegality of working from the table. Also, health care and not needing to buy any extra insurance.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
The year I worked and studied concurrently was the worst year of my life, by the way. Exhausted all of the time, constantly getting sick, phoning it in hardcore at the job and getting ma'ed a bunch by the boss, etc.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

getting ma'ed a bunch

I'm stuck on this bit

But yeah, working and studying is a delicate balance, if you can line up a realistic schedule or get flexibility from both you're golden.
if not, it's just a tiring game of constantly clock-watching, commuting, and negotiating.

if you set your targets reasonably (i.e. low), you'll actually be able to maintain and achieve them - most people don't manage that ime.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm going to be on the "work+study" kick myself for the next few months. It's not fulltime study but (at least right now) it's fulltime work, so y'all might see a little less of me from now to October.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

url posted:

I'm stuck on this bit

ma is the pinyin for the mandarin chinese word to be scolded/yelled at.

url posted:

But yeah, working and studying is a delicate balance, if you can line up a realistic schedule or get flexibility from both you're golden.
if not, it's just a tiring game of constantly clock-watching, commuting, and negotiating.

if you set your targets reasonably (i.e. low), you'll actually be able to maintain and achieve them - most people don't manage that ime.

It wasn't in Taiwan but I had p much the same experience as pandamonium the time I tried to do both. Neither work nor study got done especially well and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but some people can probably do it so that's just my 2 cents.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I can't speak from personal experience but I get the impression the real way to go with work+study is to make the work all just private tutoring - the money's better and you can basically set your own schedule. And if you're white, it's 100% guaranteed you'll just get tutoring requests just walking down the street or in the subway at some point.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Magna Kaser posted:

ma is the pinyin for the mandarin chinese word to be scolded/yelled at.

I prefer to read it here as "mothered"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spanish Matlock posted:

I prefer to read it here as "mothered"

And I thought people were just tying him up with hemp rope.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Maybe his boss is just horsing around.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
It is part and parcel to questionable behavior, I suppose.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm numb to these puns.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm numb to these puns.
There have been a number of them.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Hello Taiwan, I am here for a week. I'm on a holiday with the in-laws but might end up with a free evening here in Taipei, if any of you are a grabbing-beer type

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm pretty sure at least some of us are. Are you going to be around this weekend?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Should be, it's probably going to be a short notice thing though. We don't have a hard and fast itinerary, and we don't see them often, so my wife and I will be spending a lot of time with them. On the plus side we're near Taipei Main Station and I don't mind 7-11 beering or bars

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

USDA Choice posted:

Go up the Maokong Gondola. It gives cool views of the city and surrounding valley, at the top is a somewhat touristy area with food stalls and some tea shops but I went in the high season last year with my family and the crowds weren't by any means oppressive.

The Taipei 101 is usually a pretty safe bet, there's a Din Tai Fung at the bottom too which usually lives up to the hype for tourists.

Check out the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall or Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall. If you've got a bunch of history buffs in your group you could do both and even the Martyrs' Shrine, but one of those is enough for most people.

Near the shrine is the National Palace Museum. In short, it's where the Nationalists put everything they looted liberated preserved from the Forbidden City when they were leaving mainland China. Lots of jade, calligraphy, and other Chinese history pieces are there.

Be sure to check out at least one night market. Shilin is the biggest one for tourists but Raohe and Huaxi are popular too.

Maybe pop into a temple. Mind you they're pretty much all in active use, but Longshan is close to Huaxi night market while Xingtian is fairly downtown.

You can do some light walking/hiking near the Four Beasts Mountains. There are tons of different routes, they range from easy paved roads to fairly strenuous routes where you basically have to use a rope.

If you want to get out of Taipei, check out Keelung and its night market, or maybe Yeliu Geology Park or Jiufen. Jiufen was Miyazaki's inspiration for the setting of Spirited Away.

Of all those, Jiufen is the most likely to be mobbed by tourists, especially on weekends. The Taipei 101 will certainly involve lines, the length of it depends on day and time though and there might be some disabled shortcut or special waiting area if memory serves correctly. None of them though should really feature people aggressively hawking stuff at you.

If you're willing to get farther afield, take the high speed rail to Kaohsiung and maybe someone can offer some advice on what to hit up there. If you're not willing to spring for the HSR tickets then don't bother as the regular train or intracity bus is probably not the best use of your limited time or the most comfortable way for the elderly to travel.

Wanna thank you again for these suggestions. Done National Palace Museum, 4 Beasts (got caught in a thunderstorm and ended up sweeping water out of a temple until it eased off), Jiafen and even the gold museum bit, and Shilin night market. Having a fantastic time. If you are around, I owe you a beer

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

simplefish posted:

Wanna thank you again for these suggestions. Done National Palace Museum, 4 Beasts (got caught in a thunderstorm and ended up sweeping water out of a temple until it eased off), Jiafen and even the gold museum bit, and Shilin night market. Having a fantastic time. If you are around, I owe you a beer

I appreciate the offer! However I've been back living in the US for a couple years now. I'm just glad to share the awesomeness of Taiwan with more people and it sounds like you're having a good time.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Alright, so I'm going to be in town for the next year or so. How do I get in on this goon LINE chat (I already installed the app).

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

isndl posted:

Alright, so I'm going to be in town for the next year or so. How do I get in on this goon LINE chat (I already installed the app).

PM url, he'll get you into the group.

Otherwise, are you in the Taipei area, or elsewhere?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

isndl posted:

Where at? Have you landed with a job, or are you looking now?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

So hey, I don't have PMs on here atm, use that qr code and you're in.

:D

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
What did you do url?

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
That felt too easy am I going to regret this

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

mirror123 posted:

That felt too easy am I going to regret this
probably, but that's what makes it fun

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'll be in taipei for 4-5 days in August. Just a few quick questions:

1. Tourist sim - is it better to get the chunghwa telecom or the 7/11, or is there something better?

2. Travelling - planning to just uber everywhere or take the trains. Is this a viable idea or should i hire a driver with a van

3. Tourist traps - what are the "must sees" that appear in every tourist package like Sun Yat Sen's memorial palace etc that are actually not loving worth it and i should avoid like the plague (I'm not saying the palace is one, but it sounds like a bore and I've been to the one in guangzhou).

4. Accommodation - is airbnb a thing, or should i just go for a hotel? An ex-colleague told me "homestay" and sent me http://www.taipeiannhouse.com.tw/ i have no idea what it is

5. hot springs - recommendations?

I'm ethnic chinese and can speak mandarin fluently and hokkien ok-ish.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'll be in taipei for 4-5 days in August. Just a few quick questions:

1. Tourist sim - is it better to get the chunghwa telecom or the 7/11, or is there something better?

2. Travelling - planning to just uber everywhere or take the trains. Is this a viable idea or should i hire a driver with a van

3. Tourist traps - what are the "must sees" that appear in every tourist package like Sun Yat Sen's memorial palace etc that are actually not loving worth it and i should avoid like the plague (I'm not saying the palace is one, but it sounds like a bore and I've been to the one in guangzhou).

4. Accommodation - is airbnb a thing, or should i just go for a hotel? An ex-colleague told me "homestay" and sent me http://www.taipeiannhouse.com.tw/ i have no idea what it is

5. hot springs - recommendations?

I'm ethnic chinese and can speak mandarin fluently and hokkien ok-ish.
Random notes:

1. I normally get one from one of the telcos (Chunghwa, Taiwan Mobile, Far Eastone) when my brother comes over, but I haven't tried an over the counter one yet either

2. Uber's decent, but pricing can be iffy at times. If you're traveling with others and going outside of Taipei, hiring a driver is great (also if you're going somewhere that's not in town). The MRT's pretty easy to use as well. Taxis are loving everywhere and are pretty cheap.

3. Palace museum is pretty decent, but you can skip it if old pots, jade stuff, and calligraphy and such don't float your boat. Danshui's cool, night markets are cool, Longshan temple is pretty cool and there's a massage place near there that I dig (1200 for 2 hours). I'm not sure what's in the tourist packages other than "some beef noodle restaurant that's actually trash from a butt" or "oh joy duty free shopping for terrible luxury brands".

4. Pretty sure airbnb's a thing, there are cheap hotels around here too. I used FX Hotel for my brother and other fam before and it was decent.

5. Wulai is usually the go to area around Taipei.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

1. Either or. I had a 7-11 one briefly and it was fine.
2. Don't Uber, just take taxis or public transport. They're cheaper and more convenient.
3. Most of them are actually not bad. You could probably skip 國父紀念館, but CKS Memorial Hall is at least neat for the giant statue. 101 you could probably skip unless you've got a boner for getting up the observation deck, otherwise it's just a mediocre mall full of lovely mainland tourists. National Palace Museum is p good and the Aboriginal Museum down the road is cool.
4. By homestay they mean 民宿, if that helps. Airbnb is absolutely a thing, with all the gambling it usually involves. You could even probably couchsurf. Taipei's full of hostels and hotels though, you can probably find something p reasonable without too much work.
5. Either Wulai, like duckfarts said, which is like an hour(?)'s bus ride south of town or Beitou. Wulai's p cool, and there's a restaurant there where you can order fried bees (泰雅婆婆). Or at least there used to be, I haven't been there in years honestly.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

thanks guys, these are really useful. my co-travelers are apparently idiots who just discovered their passports expired and asked me questions like "yo rhino if i renew my passport now, can i still go? do they have a 6 months rule thing" so i have a feeling relying on them is not an option.

Since hotels are easy i may opt for that. unfortunately the only recommendation i have (other than duckfarts) is some place that offers prices for both 休息 and 住宿 in the business card and that gives me many concerns

a friend also just msged me to go to JiuFen because there's "tea in the teahouses there" and "you can eat whatever the crap u feel like", but warns that her info may be outdated as she went in 2012. Is this (a) still the case and (b) if I punch Wulai into my already short 4 day schedule, is going to JiuFen stretching it?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

The Saddest Rhino posted:

thanks guys, these are really useful. my co-travelers are apparently idiots who just discovered their passports expired and asked me questions like "yo rhino if i renew my passport now, can i still go? do they have a 6 months rule thing" so i have a feeling relying on them is not an option.

Since hotels are easy i may opt for that. unfortunately the only recommendation i have (other than duckfarts) is some place that offers prices for both 休息 and 住宿 in the business card and that gives me many concerns

a friend also just msged me to go to JiuFen because there's "tea in the teahouses there" and "you can eat whatever the crap u feel like", but warns that her info may be outdated as she went in 2012. Is this (a) still the case and (b) if I punch Wulai into my already short 4 day schedule, is going to JiuFen stretching it?

Site for that one: http://www.fxhotels.com.tw/, it's close to Nanjing E Road station on brown line. The other hotel that my brother used a bunch was Hsuan Mei, which is a business hotel that also happens to have a "side entrance". Both are fine and not seedy, though Hsuan Mei's A/C still runs a bit humid. I don't know any other cost-effective hotels in town. I have a friend who runs an airbnb kinda apartment of some sort, but it's down in Yong He I think (SW side) and not really city central or whatever; I can ask if you're still interested though.

101's mall area is cool... if you have money. The food court is decent and pretty varied.

Maokong's cool, but I don't know if they added A/C to the gondola cars yet, and it's been pretty loving hot lately. I haven't spend much time there at all, but I remember fried tea leaves being a nice snack.

Out of town, Houtong is cool and nearish if you like cats and sleepy towns to poke around in. Jiufen is pretty cool; it's like an old street but less lovely because it's actually interesting to walk around there and such, probably a few boutique shops in there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Jiufen's a stretch if you're just into the tea - Maokong's closer (like on the MRT closer) and an easy, like, evening trip. I can't remember its name right now, but I did like this one tea place up there that was a whole outdoor thing, tables and sun umbrellas and whatnot. It's usually cooler up there, for one, and there's a p nice nighttime view once everything lights up. But even if the gondola doesn't have AC yet, it's a preferable option to the little buses, because that can be a real nailbiter of a journey if fortune is not in your favor. The only other thing would be that Jiufen and Wulai each would likely be day trips.

And basically all of Taipei is "eat whatever u want i dunno lol," so that'll be easily covered.