Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Items can now be colour-coded by rank (grey, green, cyan, violet, orange, magenta), and artifacts can be hilighted in a variety of ways (light background is shown here, but you can also force a foreground colour or inverse video for them). These are both configurable, and the exact set of colours is a work in progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I think I'm starting to get how the game expects me to play them, but I'm just really not finding melee enjoyable at all in Dungeonmans with how stingy the game's stamina tuning is. Guess I'll stick to casters.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 11, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Toadsmash posted:

I think I'm starting to get how the game expects me to play them, but I'm just really not finding melee enjoyable at all in Dungeonmans with how stingy the game's stamina tuning is. Guess I'll stick to casters.

Take Tireless and Electrolyzed perks

edit: having some alternative resource tanks is a good idea though, Deadcrafting or Gentlemans so you can use Deadpulses or Ire is helpful. Later in the game your stamina and stamina regen is a lot higher so it's less of an issue, but yeah, early-mid game, you have to be careful with your stamina usage, and I always find I'm low or out of stamina potions for a long time.

victrix fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 11, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It's especially a problem with a sword-and-boardmans, whose options for ranged enemies are typically "burn stamina to own that guy" or "meander around and eventually eat poo poo." Try going two-handed or dual wielding and using a decent bow to make basic ranged attacks on everything beyond melee range, and you should find that your stamina troubles are somewhat less severe.

Also, yes, those two perks are extremely good for fightymans.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Playing a melee-focused character and having trouble with ranged/caster mobs? Blazing Vituperation, it's an amazing one-point wonder.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I picked up ADOM on steam and noticed that some of the achievements are straight transpositions of the "____ Man" challenges, which push the line of the impossible on an already extremely difficult game, especially with all the recent scumming changes. I think the guidebook said that the documented number of people who completed any of the said challenges were just a handful, combined. That's probably outdated though.

Then I look at the achievement stats and 0.01% of players have actually done some of them, like Steel Man. :psyduck:

I'd say optimistically I can get any one character to level 6 30% of the time, and maybe 50% of those actually make it to Dwarftown (I've never won). I cannot imagine what it takes to do some of those challenges.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's especially a problem with a sword-and-boardmans, whose options for ranged enemies are typically "burn stamina to own that guy" or "meander around and eventually eat poo poo." Try going two-handed or dual wielding and using a decent bow to make basic ranged attacks on everything beyond melee range, and you should find that your stamina troubles are somewhat less severe.

Also, yes, those two perks are extremely good for fightymans.

Meanwhile I find mana to be ridiculously plentiful if you invest in it, to the point where I barely even need to glance at my mana bar.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Items can now be colour-coded by rank (grey, green, cyan, violet, orange, magenta), and artifacts can be hilighted in a variety of ways (light background is shown here, but you can also force a foreground colour or inverse video for them). These are both configurable, and the exact set of colours is a work in progress.

I saw that "Take your best shot" caption in this picture and immediately got a Hamilton song stuck in my head again. THANKS. :argh:

Thanks for the ideas, folks. I'm a bit too stubborn about switching tactics as usual.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SettingSun posted:

I picked up ADOM on steam and noticed that some of the achievements are straight transpositions of the "____ Man" challenges, which push the line of the impossible on an already extremely difficult game, especially with all the recent scumming changes. I think the guidebook said that the documented number of people who completed any of the said challenges were just a handful, combined. That's probably outdated though.

Then I look at the achievement stats and 0.01% of players have actually done some of them, like Steel Man. :psyduck:

I'd say optimistically I can get any one character to level 6 30% of the time, and maybe 50% of those actually make it to Dwarftown (I've never won). I cannot imagine what it takes to do some of those challenges.

There are some games with literally impossible to get achievements where some players still have them. (They use Steam Achievement Manager to unlock the achievements without actually earning them.) So it's surprising to see ones that 0% of players have. I guess roguelike players are less likely to be obsessed enough with achievements to do that.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Achievements are weird. I have a bunch of Achievements for Breach & Clear that are some of my "rarest" achievements, and I got them because the game originally had a bug where if you clear the first area on the first try, it just awarded you the achievements for clearing EVERYTHING.

You'd think like 90% of players would have that, but nope. Who knows why they are the way they are.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
I think some newer games have the achievements server side so you can't use SAM?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

I would greatly prefer if the Qud chests were either removed or made part of the start. I'm leaning towards removed because having randomly generated stuff at the very start leads to the worst scumming behavior. Maybe offer some character-appropriate starting gear instead.

They don't drop anything worth scumming for, anything you really wanted from the chest you will probably find in red rock. Sometimes you get lucky and get level 2 from them without leaving town but that also isn't worth scumming for.

If you wanna talk about messed up optimal behavior, I regularly kill booksellers at the stilt for free thousands of XP from the librarian, kill the hunter in apetown for his +1 DV item and kill Tam at the start if he has a carbide weapon or some ludicrously expensive artifact that will be gone by the time I get back to town.

Bought Sproggiwood during the sale, man is Savage brutal. Wasn't sure I'd get on with it since it seems so simple at first but it's a ton of fun.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Team Biskup with that sweet and savory soon to come Content Update for ADOM~

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2016/07/bi-weekly-adom-update-lots-of-progress.html

Really glad to see he is finally getting the last of the questing from the IGG campaign situated alongside even more stuff of other sorts outright----pretty confident there's at minimum one new "Man" challenge to come in there from the looks of it, ha ha.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Volcano quest! Finally!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

He's being very coy but it sounds like one of the ways to complete the Volcano quest is to set it off and destroy the whole Chain.

Other big things:

Levitation - In addition to avoiding traps, this could finally be a convenient way to cross rivers, especially if the capability can be acquired early.
New material - "Truly ancient". Better than eternium? Could also bring in a new type of golem.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Toadsmash posted:

I saw that "Take your best shot" caption in this picture and immediately got a Hamilton song stuck in my head again. THANKS. :argh:

Don't thank me, thank nvining :v:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Asteroid collision on the boarding ship?!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Toadsmash posted:

roguelikes hate you i guess

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

When I was a kid, I somehow ended up with Umoria. I didn't have an understanding of RPG mechanics, such as experience points, and certainly didn't know what a roguelike was. But over time I kept going back to it, slowly figured it out and always had fun playing it. I still remember discovering how to learn prayers and how cool I thought it was, or playing other games and gaining a new frame of reference which let me see things in Umoria I wasn't able to previously grasp. I never beat it, but that was ok. It taught me to have a patience with games and other things that I claim even now, which I'd like to think we all share thanks to roguelikes. Your guy is a little @ symbol I would tell them, but that's just what he looks like.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

roguelikes hate you i guess

That was easy as hell to avoid. All you have to do is jump it to another airlock. I was just amused because that's the only time I've ever seen that happen in ~90 hours of gameplay. I thought it was a bug at first!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Toadsmash posted:

What game is this

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
Looks like Duskers.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
This days I reinstalled DoomRL to give it another whirl, I am not so good at it, I only have 3 or 4 victories in Hurt Me Plenty difficulty., after a few tries where I died in Hell's Arena. For this one I decided to pick marine and go the ammochain route. This time I managed to survive Hell's Arena and The Chained Court, so was pretty sure I would get far into episode 3 (major gently caress ups aside), at the very least. I grabbed the Intuition trait, because is amazing, feels like cheating and that carried me through episode 2 easily enough. Had some luck with drops this game, found a plasma shotgun in the Armory, had enough resources to dive the Spider's Lair and grab the BFG and found a BFG10K in the Vaults.

But I realized too late in episode 3 that the prerequisite traits of Intuition, Eagle Eye, blocked Ammochain, so I couldn't grab my master trait, I am a loving idiot. Still managed to rush and kill the Spider Mastermind, so still got something out of it.

Any tips for a pistol build? Of all the weapon type badges, the marksman is the only one I never achieved.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 13, 2016

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Angry Lobster posted:

This days I reinstalled DoomRL to give it another whirl, I am not so good at it, I only have 3 or 4 victories in Hurt Me Plenty difficulty., after a few tries where I died in Hell's Arena. For this one I decided to pick marine and go the ammochain route. This time I managed to survive Hell's Arena and The Chained Court, so was pretty sure I would get far into episode 3 (major gently caress ups aside), at the very least. I grabbed the Intuition trait, because is amazing, feels like cheating and that carried me through episode 2 easily enough. Had some luck with drops this game, found a plasma shotgun in the Armory, had enough resources to dive the Spider's Lair and grab the BFG and found a BFG10K in the Vaults.

But I realized too late in episode 3 that the prerequisite traits of Intuition, Eagle Eye, blocked Ammochain, so I couldn't grab my master trait, I am a loving idiot. Still managed to rush and kill the Spider Mastermind, so still got something out of it.

Any tips for a pistol build? Of all the weapon type badges, the marksman is the only one I never achieved.

Pistol builds are kind of tricky to manage. While you aren't really beholden to the RNG, getting a couple of good drops can be a tremendous help. I'd recommend picking a Scout to start, as the 10% faster actions is an incredibly good trait in general, and pistol builds live or die on their action economy. Gun Kata is also really good, and as you play for it more you get the feel for tactics it opens up (like unloading part of your clip on a beefy monster and then using a couple of shots on a weaker monster for the free reload. Don't be afraid to burn assemblies on your pistols - speedloader pistols are really good throughout, and agility/tactical mods are common enough.

Everything is really important - Eagle Eye is kind of okay because you don't want to miss as often with your limited magazine size, and while you can use aimed shot to mitigate miss chances from time to time, it's not something you want to be doing all the time. Hellrunner is super important because you'll rarely kill anything in a single shot and will need to move quickly to safe positions to reload/fire from. Son of a Gun is amazing, Reloader is important because unless you're lucky enough to get a combat pistol or two, you're going to be stuck with a 6 round magazine for pretty much the whole game making fast reloading a necessity. Speedloader pistols also help a great deal when you can make them. 2 points in Intuition, while not strictly necessary, helps a LOT since it lets you position better in advance and avoid nasty situations that might get you killed or waste resources.

While it's tempting to, say, immediately put 3 points in Son of a Gun to maximize your damage output between reloads, you'll probably have better luck diversifying a little bit and trying to hit certain breakpoints - for example, while you absolutely want Dodgemaster before you hit Tower of Babel you might find that taking it immediately is less useful than taking other things first. You have to make some hard choices in the early game as to what traits take priority, and in part it'll depend on random luck and your own playstyle as to what consistently works out well for you.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

I found Marksman the hardest of the weapon challenges, although I finally pulled it off after about 30 tries.

Contrary to Olesh's advice, I rolled Engineer and invested heavily in Son of a Gun early on; the increased damage is nice, but the real draw is the higher firing rate. Long-term, I invest in Eagle Eye and finally Sharpshooter (all pistol shots do maximum damage). I find that the biggest problem with pistols is that they don't reliably knock back targets and, especially in the late game when bullets get rarer compared to missiles/shells/cells, ammo consumption; sharpshooter solves both problems neatly.

I didn't invest at all in hellrunner/dodgemaster, instead letting enemies come to me and relying on my extremely high rate of fire to kill them before they could act; in that vein, I spent my last few levels on Finesse. By the final boss I was able to fire something like six shots in a single turn, and even John Carmack went down without really getting a chance to defend itself.

My next goal is probably to clear Angel of Max Carnage. :black101:

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Tfw you're at alarm level 6 in invisible inc and you have a clean route to the exit, but that last unexplored room might have a safe

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's been at least a year since my last DoomRL game, and I was still working on my UV victory, so take with a grain of salt.

Pistol builds are odd - Gun kata is the traditional one, but requires points in lovely dodging and bans SoaB, bullet storm is utter trash, and sharpshooter takes the fun out of dual pistols. So I tend to roll my own which I think is honestly more powerful. Pistols do crazy crazy damage for the time they shoot, reach knockback very fast, but have reload issues. Basic gameplay is corner shooting, knocking back enemies guaranteed every turn while doing huge dmg. Pistol builds start strong and only slightly weaken with poor drops, which they are balanced around, so that finding a Unique pistol basically instantly wins you the game.

Typical build:
Get 3xSog and Dualgunner in whatever order you like,
One (maaaybe two, but not really) pts in Eagleeye,
Pad points into SoaB. At first this seems wasteful, but the point here is to get past the threshold where you get knockback before Hellknights etc show up.
Once you reach that super consistent knockback, you're done. Go win.
At super high levels, Sog becomes unlocked again and you can invest in it up to 5 levels. This is 100% a reduction in fire time, so you'll be firing at .1s every dualshot. Have fun!

Positioning & autoloader pistol assemblies, and be very very careful about having empty guns during a fight.

Sharpshooter master trait follows this particular ideology also, but you there's a power drop as you're wasting points in EE before your Sharpshooter kicks in. Also, who the gently caress doesn't want to shoot with two guns at once?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

Sharpshooter master trait follows this particular ideology also, but you there's a power drop as you're wasting points in EE before your Sharpshooter kicks in. Also, who the gently caress doesn't want to shoot with two guns at once?

For me the big win with sharpshooter is that your damage output per shot is the same as your average output with dualgunner, but at half the ammo consumption, and you can equip an ammobox in your offhand to make reloading nearly instantaneous rather than 1.2s or whatever it is with dualreload. This means you no longer need to worry about running dry in a fight and can just rapid-fire non-stop until the ammobox runs out.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Ammo boxes are really good for builds that specialize in a particular weapon type, and it seems like they tend to be underutilized despite that. The exception is Shottyman builds - unless it was sneakily changed at some point, Shottyman does not appear to make any effort to draw reloads-on-the-move from ammo boxes, so they end up mainly being useful as a space-efficient way to carry lots of backup ammo (as you can just unload the box once your supply of shells is getting dangerously low).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Thank you for all the tips!

After a few tries I've managed to get a standard win Angel of Marksmanship win a sharpshooter engineer (only Not Too Rough difficulty, though). The first few tries with the scout where fruitless, but it had more to do either with playing in Hurt Me Plenty or trying to clear the full Hell's Arena rather than class selection.

Pistols are difficult at the start but get rather interesting when you manage to get a few decent guns. End up crafting the energy pistol and the storm bolter because I didn't get any special modpack or unique pistols (got a nuclear plasma rifle and a laser rifle though, drat). The energy pistol was good, with all the traits it had enough damage to have a bit of knockback, especially handy against arch-viles, mancubus and revenants.

Now I think I'll try to get a full win in HMP difficulty. DoomRL is so good.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Angry Diplomat posted:

Ammo boxes are really good for builds that specialize in a particular weapon type, and it seems like they tend to be underutilized despite that. The exception is Shottyman builds - unless it was sneakily changed at some point, Shottyman does not appear to make any effort to draw reloads-on-the-move from ammo boxes, so they end up mainly being useful as a space-efficient way to carry lots of backup ammo (as you can just unload the box once your supply of shells is getting dangerously low).

Having shottyman draw the reloads-on-the-move from ammoboxes would pretty much just be a nerf. They're not saving you any time since it already took zero time, so you're just wasting potential standing-in-place reload speed for later.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ToxicFrog posted:

For me the big win with sharpshooter is that your damage output per shot is the same as your average output with dualgunner, but at half the ammo consumption, and you can equip an ammobox in your offhand to make reloading nearly instantaneous rather than 1.2s or whatever it is with dualreload. This means you no longer need to worry about running dry in a fight and can just rapid-fire non-stop until the ammobox runs out.

Good point; I should have specified that that build is optimized to keep scaling into the lategame. As long as you don't go bulletstorm you're gold.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
We may or may not be procedurally generating Caves of Qud erotica

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'll be honest I can't tell much of a difference between that and most schlock fiction I've read

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Unormal posted:

We may or may not be procedurally generating Caves of Qud erotica

Watersports erotica at that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I like how the only button is "Good text."

Yes, it is :gay:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Playing some Deathstate for a bit on stream. 15 July 12:30p PST http://www.twitch.tv/playdungeonmans

It would normally be my dev stream but I got news this morning that crumpled me into a little ball so instead I'm going to just play video games and feel good.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

Playing some Deathstate for a bit on stream. 15 July 12:30p PST http://www.twitch.tv/playdungeonmans

It would normally be my dev stream but I got news this morning that crumpled me into a little ball so instead I'm going to just play video games and feel good.

Sorry to hear that whatever it is. My consolations.

Stay safe, developermans ghost!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My condolences for your teleportitis of the soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

madjackmcmad posted:

Now playing Caves of Qud, tune in. Live and drink, friends.