Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you have a problem with free trade between nation states you should have a problem with free trade between states in the country.

Additional competion from other states drive down wages after all by providing alternative sources for labor.

So do you support trade barriers between the 50 states? And if not, why?

There's freedom of movement between states. Between nations? Not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Metaphorical.

metaphorically literal

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Sounds like the cops leaving actually increased the safety of everyone there, so this is good.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Do you think there should be trade barriers and no freedom of movement between countries in the EU?

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Justice and accountability? gently caress that! Pack it up boys, let's get out of here to show them that's not what we stand for! That'll show em!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The funny thing about ragging on the Lynx attendence is they draw about 10,000 people a game. It's less than the T-Wolves who drew about 14,000 but it's really not bad at all.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So I was reading a WaPo article about "Why the police in Baton Rouge look like they’re dressed for war" and it was your bog standard military police stuff, but I learned something fun:

quote:

In May 2015, President Obama moved to prohibit the sale of certain items, such as bayonets and grenade launchers, to police departments under the 1033 Program.

Why did we need to clarify police don't need bayonets or grenade launchers? Did any department get loving bayonets? I guess they expect to fight some blacks bank robbers in 1916 Verdun or some poo poo

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Spaced God posted:

So I was reading a WaPo article about "Why the police in Baton Rouge look like they’re dressed for war" and it was your bog standard military police stuff, but I learned something fun:

Why did we need to clarify police don't need bayonets or grenade launchers? Did any department get loving bayonets? I guess they expect to fight some blacks bank robbers in 1916 Verdun or some poo poo

Bayonets are loving lol. Are they expecting to blunt a violent charge by lethal means instead of the current procedure of containing and pushing to de-escalate? The pushback from that would be amazing if it happened and was recorded. Never mind that nothing can cause a literal "murder the police" style riot to break out like escalating to murdering protesters instead of de-escalating the situation properly. Bayonets aren't going to do poo poo to defend you if you're getting swarmed by a literal wall of bodies trying to get at you too.

Grenade launchers i'm assuming means launchers that can fire tear gas and pepper gas. Which is actually pretty useful for responsible departments that want to de-escalate without relying on violence since they can be used to fire about as non-lethal a method as we have to disperse crowds. They're also useful for flushing out people who are holed up in an area without having to go in guns blazing. Without them you're relying on throwing them and more "traditional" methods of taking down someone. Which usually involve a lot of screamed orders and possibly bullets. Case in point, a number of recent shooters over the past few years.

Even so, I wouldn't be comfortable with departments like the Ferguson and Baton Rouge department having them. I doubt they'd be used to de-escalate a violent situation rather than to gently caress with people and generally try to incite individuals or groups to escalating things further.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 12, 2016

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

There is something viscerally unsettling about the fact that discrimination is still an abstract, academic concept to the overwhelming majority of posters in this forum.

Ehhhhh .... People who can learn through secondhand experience are great imo. It would take loving forever if all learning had to be first hand. Esp given how segregated racial groups are.

Tender Bender posted:

White leaders have been silent. Macklemore, Sarah Mclaughlin, Wilford Brimley... None of them have spoken out about the problem in community.

I appreciate the joke. So this is just me being with her - not a counterpoint or anything.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/hillary-clinton-remarks-prison-reform-speech

Hillary Clinton posted:

From Ferguson to Staten Island to Baltimore, the patterns have become unmistakable and undeniable.

Walter Scott shot in the back in Charleston, South Carolina. Unarmed. In debt. And terrified of spending more time in jail for child support payments he couldn’t afford.

Tamir Rice shot in a park in Cleveland, Ohio. Unarmed and just 12 years old.

Eric Garner choked to death after being stopped for selling cigarettes on the streets of this city.

And now Freddie Gray. His spine nearly severed while in police custody.

Not only as a mother and a grandmother but as a citizen, a human being, my heart breaks for these young men and their families.

We have to come to terms with some hard truths about race and justice in America.

There is something profoundly wrong when African American men are still far more likely to be stopped and searched by police, charged with crimes, and sentenced to longer prison terms than are meted out to their white counterparts.

There is something wrong when a third of all black men face the prospect of prison during their lifetimes. And an estimated 1.5 million black men are “missing” from their families and communities because of incarceration and premature death.

(Snip)

The inequities that persist in our justice system undermine [the] shared vision of what America can be and should be.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Archonex posted:

Bayonets are loving lol. Are they expecting to blunt a violent charge by lethal means instead of the current procedure of containing and pushing to de-escalate? The pushback from that would be amazing if it happened and was recorded. Never mind that nothing can cause a literal "murder the police" style riot to break out like escalating to murdering protesters instead of de-escalating the situation properly. Bayonets aren't going to do poo poo to defend you if you're getting swarmed by a literal wall of bodies trying to get at you too.

Grenade launchers i'm assuming means launchers that can fire tear gas and pepper gas. Which is actually pretty useful for responsible departments that want to de-escalate without relying on violence since they can be used to fire about as non-lethal a method as we have to disperse crowds. They're also useful for flushing out people who are holed up in an area without having to go in guns blazing. Without them you're relying on throwing them and more "traditional" methods of taking down someone. Which usually involve a lot of screamed orders and possibly bullets. Case in point, a number of recent shooters over the past few years.

Even so, I wouldn't be comfortable with departments like the Ferguson and Baton Rouge department having them. I doubt they'd be used to de-escalate a violent situation rather than to gently caress with people and generally try to incite individuals or groups to escalating things further.

Yeah, I can understand grenade launchers to some degree (despite my mental imagine of someone going full action hero and stopping a car chase with a 40mm high explosive round acquired by 1033) but I really, really wanna see how they justified trying to get bayonets

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Spaced God posted:

I imagine some depts got bayonets for their color guards and cerimonial units, and a few for "we can order bayonets with our end-of-fiscal-year funds? gently caress yeah." As has been noted, grenade launchers have legitimate uses, I'd be more worried if they were surplussing 40mm frag/HEAT/thermo grenades to PDs.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Ugh, I just found this site that exists just to take law enforcement money in exchange to tell them how to better harass/kill colored people.

http://www.homefrontprotect.com/index.html

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Spaced God posted:

Yeah, I can understand grenade launchers to some degree (despite my mental imagine of someone going full action hero and stopping a car chase with a 40mm high explosive round acquired by 1033) but I really, really wanna see how they justified trying to get bayonets

Pretty sure they'd be breaking a whole bunch of laws if they had explosive rounds. The launchers are supposed to be used only for non-lethal means like hitting a crowd or building with gas to force individuals to disperse or surrender.

Granted, I may be out of date on my info. And I wouldn't put it past some gun nut to try and mod one out with something explosive if the opportunity came up. That's so far out of bounds on what a cop can get away with though that i'd expect an agency like the FBI to prosecute the hell out of them just to avoid the precedent it'd set.

The bayonets thing is just stupid. I mean, even SWAT is supposed to at least -try- to consider bringing in a suspect alive. And they're about as heavy duty as your average department will get in terms of violent means. You can't use a bayonet for anything except to blunt a charge or stab the gently caress out of someone.

Neither of which is likely to do much to help you in a peace-keeping effort if someone is willing to get that close to someone with a gun. Or hell, even protect the person with a bayonet if someone else is that crazy or determined to get at you. It's not like you're liable to stab someone with one of them and have the stabbed person just instantly drop dead. They're going to keep going until they bleed out or vital organs shut down.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 12, 2016

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Good lord, the amount of tacticlol gear they're wearing is ridiculous.

FIRST TIME posted:

Ugh, I just found this site that exists just to take law enforcement money in exchange to tell them how to better harass/kill colored people.

http://www.homefrontprotect.com/index.html

There's a ton of places like this, and they get paid thousands of dollars to present awful powerpoint presentations about how scary gangs are. Even the more legit looking ones are absurd engines of grift that exploded post-9/11.

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 12, 2016

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

It's a really bizarre thing to say, given that nations are discrete entities with internal bodies of law and systems of governance. Individual states still have to adhere to federal law, constitutional restrictions, draw upon the same bodies of legal precedent, operate under the same federal institutions etc. The differences between interstate relations and international relations are enormous. It's kind of a stupid comparison on its face.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Bastard Tetris posted:

Good lord, the amount of tacticlol gear they're wearing is ridiculous.

There's a ton of places like this, and they get paid thousands of dollars to present awful powerpoint presentations about how scary gangs are. Even the more legit looking ones are absurd engines of grift that exploded post-9/11.

An actual quote from the guy who runs this site:

""Would we have been violating his civil rights? Who gives a (expletive)?" he said.

Had the laptop been searched, it probably would have had plans or photos connected to the attacks, he said.

"I don't remember one day on the streets I didn't break a rule, break a law," Savelli said. "Rules are made to be bent.""

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Oh my god, my eyes are going to roll so far into the back of my head right now.

http://policelink.monster.com/training/articles/147694-ten-percenters-the-cops-who-really-make-a-difference

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Boy that's an article that starts out goofy and harmless in an office forward kind of way and takes a turn for the morally dubious

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Eschers Basement posted:

Conversely, I find it incredibly interesting. There's a lot of similarity in how engagement is the key factor - a lot of the experiences are about recognizing and confronting dissonance, which would be hard to do if you weren't willing to engage with something outside of a "white" point of view.

IOW- bussing was right

My personal experiences make me leery of celebrating bussing as a panacea on its own.

The white kids in Kansas were significantly more prone to violence and more adept at it than white kids in my prior monoculture schools in Oklahoma, California, Washington state, Maryland, D.C, New Hampshire, and Colorado. And openly racist to a degree I've never seen before or since.

I think it had a lot to do with the way the all-white teachers/administrators made the black kids an underclass. By mixing the two groups and then holding them to a really clear double standard I think it brought out the worst in the white kids by giving them a victim class that the adults let them abuse.

Really close attention needs to be paid to the teachers/administrators of a bussed school. They should be diverse and actively screened for racial animus. Without that you can actually make racism worse in my experience. Actual malice and eager use of racial slurs is way worse than the complete obliviousness of New Hampshire kids whose school had more albinos(1) than black kids.

Not that all of them went cartoonishly bad. But it enabled the ones leaning that way who Overton windowed what was "normal".

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

quote:

Ten Percenters, tenpercenters,10%ers, 10%, Top 10 and associated logos are registered trademarks created and owned by Louis A. Savelli, Brooklyn, New York.

Don't you dare talk about the top ten percent of your workforce, or you might get a call from Mister Louis A. Savelli!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Spaced God posted:

It's an artifact of how the program is structured. It isn't a list of items it's okay to sell, it's a program that provides police with priority on purchasing all military surplus items. (Which includes grenade launchers and bayonets.). So you don't add them, they're available by default and you have to specifically exclude them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm glad these protests are happening in the summer because if the police are gonna be assholes and wear 20 pounds of body armor and weapons, make em stand in the 95 degree southern heat.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

SirPablo posted:

I want Huckabee to start #FatLivesMatter.

It's already a hashtag though?

Fat acceptance will probably be the last social group to be recognized and protected, but it will happen. The more science looks into the function of weight gain, the more we realize it's not really a choice.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's already a hashtag though?

Fat acceptance will probably be the last social group to be recognized and protected, but it will happen. The more science looks into the function of weight gain, the more we realize it's not really a choice.

Stop eating cheeseburgers you goon - someone who was at one point almost 300 pounds

Edit: the science of weight gain is DON'T EAT SO MANY CALORIES and SODA IS BAD

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Spaced God posted:

Bayonets are just knives, knives have a lot of utility uses besides stabbing people.

Also color guard/ceremonial uses.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Business Gorillas posted:

Stop eating cheeseburgers you goon - someone who was at one point almost 300 pounds

Good for you.

Contact me about 10 years from now, where the odds heavily favor you gaining most if not all of it back.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Jarmak posted:

Bayonets are just knives, knives have a lot of utility uses besides stabbing people.

Also color guard/ceremonial uses.

Cops aren't soldiers, they should really stop playing like they are

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
The cops being so desperate to act out their action movie fantasies should be disturbing for everyone. I have no idea why it isn't brought up more beyond that ARE HEROES is still so virulent.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Not if you're poor. Especially not if you're a newly poor homeowner in a collapsing factory town.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So if a 2 state solution is dead than what is a solution that doesn't see Israel gobbling up all of Palestine? Yes I know the answer is in the question but let's pretend here.

The State of Israel is going to gobble up all of Palestine, that's a fixed outcome at this point. The question is whether the native population will be apartheid-ized and/or ethnically cleansed or not. All signs so far point to yes

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Family Values posted:

Actually a one state, non-apartheid, secular solution would be superior to all others, but I think we all know that's not what the Republicans mean.

This is what Democrats should be pushing for, unfortunately the Zionist lobby is as firmly entrenched a lobby as exists within the American liberal political apparatus, plus you get to feel all warm and self-righteous by bashing on the evil left-wing anti-semites so that's a much easier course of action

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

"John, you have to go to the convention. Just imagine how much fun it will be to watch Paul try to keep them in line!"

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

It's good to have goals in life, glad you were able to attain 300 lb! #fatlivesmatter

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

Ha. Try a for-profit online high school, because the public schools have all been sold off to investors

I actually ended up talking to a kid who was going to one of those about it. If you think online college is a grift...

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Archonex posted:

In today's world if you hear the order "Fix Bayonets", you're in far more trouble than a bayonet can solve for you anyway.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

You're going to be fat again in a little while.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Freakazoid_ posted:

Good for you.

Contact me about 10 years from now, where the odds heavily favor you gaining most if not all of it back.

I figure my chance to gain it back is positively correlated with my CPH (cheeseburgers per hour).

Lol that people think that the ability to shovel cheeseburgers deserves to be a protected class.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

I figure my chance to gain it back is positively correlated with my CPH (cheeseburgers per hour).

Lol that people think that the ability to shovel cheeseburgers deserves to be a protected class.

Cash cows fuel the economy.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Discrimination against fat people is well documented and pervasive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

misty mountaintop posted:

Discrimination against fat people is well documented and pervasive.

Yes, many fat people are born that way, just like black people, women, and homosexuals. It's definitely not a controllable lifestyle thing for most people.

• Locked thread