Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

Pixelante posted:

Anyone use them for drawing and sketching? I have a heap of multiliners, but I like to switch up mediums to keep things interesting. In a pen I need consistent flow, and in ink I need to know how well it'll hold up to things being layered on it.

I had to learn a medieval script for a course in manuscript studies, and ended up with quite a collection of interchangeable nibs, but it's all the kind of thing where you're carefully dipping or dripping ink into the nib. It's all very elegant and was fine for proving my mastery of English Caroline Minuscule but it's tedious controlling the flow when I'm freehanding drawings instead of individual letters.

I draw with my fountain pens. You can get Multiliners and the like with waterproof, lightfast ink, but the line is relentlessly one width, the edges tend to be a bit fuzzy, and the ink a little on the gray side. But they are easy to work with. I use De Atramentis Document Black and Brown that really are waterproof once set up, and get at least some line variation out of my Pilot Falcon (also a modified Ahab, and a Desiderata Daedalus prototype). Great for taking on location and sketching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I got a bunch of inks that should show gradient and sheering well, but so far, nothing much. The best luck I got was when I plopped out a drop of the Pilot Iroshiyuku Yama-Budo and spread it around. When it finally dried, I did get some of the yellow/gold fringe. I figured this Recife I had stretch open would poo poo out enough ink to sheer, but maybe not. Beyond that, I guess Kokuyo Campus paper is a no-go. I have a Rhodia A4 pad that didn't do any better though. Are there any tricks to getting those effects?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I got a bunch of inks that should show gradient and sheering well, but so far, nothing much. The best luck I got was when I plopped out a drop of the Pilot Iroshiyuku Yama-Budo and spread it around. When it finally dried, I did get some of the yellow/gold fringe. I figured this Recife I had stretch open would poo poo out enough ink to sheer, but maybe not. Beyond that, I guess Kokuyo Campus paper is a no-go. I have a Rhodia A4 pad that didn't do any better though. Are there any tricks to getting those effects?

The single most effective trick is to write on Tomoe River paper.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Maybe when Canada Post is off strike I'll send one of you pen dorks some art paper samples to test. I have several kinds of marker paper for different things, and most of it is designed to prevent feathering and smearing of inks. Manga isn't my thing, but that fad has really helped improve availability of quality paper. Volunteers? All I'd want in return would be reviews with a couple kinds of ink or whatever seems relevant.

Are pen inks usually alcohol based? Or water based? I have a bunch of semi to fully opaque acrylic ink for splashing around projects but I'm doubtful a fountain pen would be happy about it.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 7, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Pixelante posted:

Maybe when Canada Post is off strike I'll send one of you pen dorks some art paper samples to test. I have several kinds of marker paper for different things, and most of it is designed to prevent feathering and smearing of inks. Manga isn't my thing, but that fad has really helped improve availability of quality paper. Volunteers? All I'd want in return would be reviews with a couple kinds of ink or whatever seems relevant.

Are pen inks usually alcohol based? Or water based? I have a bunch of semi to fully opaque acrylic ink for splashing around projects but I'm doubtful a fountain pen would be happy about it.

Fountain pen inks are exclusively water based and almost all are dye-based for colour. There are very few pigment-based inks on the market that are compatible with fountain pens and they will be advertised as such. Do *not* use pigment-based inks otherwise, they will clog the feed and you'll have to take the pen apart to clean it all out.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Try a broad or italic nib.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is Goulet still the go-to place to get Noodlers ink? I want some Heart of Darkness, unless there is a blacker black that I should be looking at.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Pixelante posted:

They're water-based, but unless it's explicitly "fountain pen ink," you probably do not want to put it in a fountain pen. All those acrylic inks, for example, probably should not go into a fountain pen. They'd be perfectly fine for a dip pen, and apparently rapidographs and the like, but that'll almost certainly clog up the feed of a fountain pen (or anything with a similar feed, like the various small-production pens that use g-nibs and the such).

Alternatively, be this guy

(I don't think I ever noticed before, but if he's gonna use a quill, he could use something more interesting than Quink. At least one of those silly metallic speedball inks…)

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is Goulet still the go-to place to get Noodlers ink? I want some Heart of Darkness, unless there is a blacker black that I should be looking at.

I feel like goulet might have the largest selection, but anywhere that isn't some random guy on amazon'll probably package the ink well enough to prevent any broken caps or bottles.

As for other blacks, I usually see people suggest Aurora Black, if you don't want Noodler's. I like my Pilot Black, but it's not super dark or saturated; it's just black (rather than sorta violet or blue or whatever).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Okay fess up - which one of you is that guy?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
It needs to be pointed out he's using the fake hipster version of a quill, not an authentic quil with the barbs cut to make it more usable as a pen :colbert:

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

blowfish posted:

It needs to be pointed out he's using the fake hipster version of a quill, not an authentic quil with the barbs cut to make it more usable as a pen :colbert:

I bet he paid top dollar for that quill based on its brand name because he doesn't know that they moved production offshore to cut costs and now it's just impossible to get a quality quill for a reasonable price I mean you can try Amazon but the shipping costs kill you every time I mean jesus how much does it cost to wrap up a quill and send it

That's why I source my quills from a local, reputable farmer I'd tell you the name of the place but you haven't heard of it

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Anderson Pens also carries a lot of Noodler's ink.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

blowfish posted:

I made one of those in the medieval class. Workable but tedious. Made a lovely cat toy.

I picked up a cheap disposable Bic fountain pen but it's terrible. (Yeah, surprise, I know.) Ink flows freely but kinda too fast to write carefully, too thickly to write neatly, and makes my penmanship look like I'm drunk. It feathers on regular note paper.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

"A feather with a nib pressed into it" doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well.

The really ballsy thing is using that nonsense, plus quink, on what appears to be a test. That poo poo's gonna bleed and feather like a motherfucker. Plus the left-handed bit, but that's an entirely different sort of issue, isn't it?

Pixelante posted:

I made one of those in the medieval class. Workable but tedious. Made a lovely cat toy.

I picked up a cheap disposable Bic fountain pen but it's terrible. (Yeah, surprise, I know.) Ink flows freely but kinda too fast to write carefully, too thickly to write neatly, and makes my penmanship look like I'm drunk. It feathers on regular note paper.

Much like this, as a matter of fact. Besides using less feathery paper, write bigger. It's like how I have to write noticably larger with my pelikan if I don't want a, e, and o to be indistinguishable (it is probably the least-fine Fine I've ever seen, and I'm betting that Bic's marked as a M).

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

My grandfather, who exposed me to fountain pens and calligraphy when I was too young to properly appreciate them, used to cut his own quills. He also explained to me once that adding a piece of watch spring somehow helped it retain more ink.

I think grandpa has a few Esterbrooks too, whatever their school pen with the cartridge and friction-fit cap was called. Bunch of Osmiroid stuff, odds and ends and so forth. I'd love to poke through his collection and see what I can restore.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Credit where credit is due: Noodler's is very good at finding new and inventive ways to send me pens that don't work. This time it was a feed that was literally set twisted.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Today I finished my forearm sleeve, and my tattoo artist saw my pen in my bag and laughed. She's Chinese, and remembered doing all of her homework growing up with a fountain pen. Then another one of the artists started fiddling around doodling on himself with it and was surprised by how well it worked. He's thinking about replacing his surgical marker collection with a cheep jinhao and a bottle of ink since he can sterilize the steel nib and use it with different clients that way. :)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

grack posted:

Credit where credit is due: Noodler's is very good at finding new and inventive ways to send me pens that don't work. This time it was a feed that was literally set twisted.

That's just them reminding and strongly encouraging you to configure the nib and feed to suit your needs, rather than blindly trust whatever put it together.

It's very considerate.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

NeurosisHead posted:

Today I finished my forearm sleeve, and my tattoo artist saw my pen in my bag and laughed. She's Chinese, and remembered doing all of her homework growing up with a fountain pen. Then another one of the artists started fiddling around doodling on himself with it and was surprised by how well it worked. He's thinking about replacing his surgical marker collection with a cheep jinhao and a bottle of ink since he can sterilize the steel nib and use it with different clients that way. :)

I wouldn't recommend that, because he can't sterilize the ink, feed, or converter, and I doubt the cheap nib a Jinhao ships with is designed to withstand repeated autoclave cycles.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Found this thread last night and it reminded me how much I miss the custom fountain pen I left back in the states with a friend. I moved out of country two years ago and didn't need a fountain pen for backpacking, and I've been too lazy to get the old pen shipped back. So I went to a local stationary store to check out the fountain pens they had and tested out a bunch--living in South Korea has some perks! People really like fountain pens.

It is not a Pilot, though that was what I was going to buy before I tried this one. It's a Platinum Plasir, and the feel of it is almost exactly the same as a Korean brand .3mm I use for work. It was a similar price to the Pilot I was looking at but with a lighter feel. I'm gonna be ordering some ink online (they only had blue, black, and red at the store).

So thanks thread! Some of ya'll sure have some pretty handwriting.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
My Gran has been decluttering and came across the Parker fountain pen she was given to sit her high-school exams with. It's almost 65 years old now, but would anybody be able to help identify it any further?

With the cap

Cap posted

Close-up of the nib

Body removed to show the converter

It's been years, if not decades, since it's last been used, so what would be the best way to clean it and get it back to working condition?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Captain_Person posted:

My Gran has been decluttering and came across the Parker fountain pen she was given to sit her high-school exams with. It's almost 65 years old now, but would anybody be able to help identify it any further?

With the cap

Cap posted

Close-up of the nib

It's been years, if not decades, since it's last been used, so what would be the best way to clean it and get it back to working condition?

Try flushing warm water through it, and then see if you can pull off the nib and run a brass sheet through the tines. The feed should just be hard rubber though.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Captain_Person posted:

Could well be a duofold or a slimfold

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Captain_Person posted:

With the cap

Cap posted

Close-up of the nib

That's a UK Duofold in the "Demi" size, IMO a very desirable pen. They're also quite easy to get working - just put the pen in a sink full of water and squeeze the aerometric filler until the water comes out more or less clear. You can also use a 10% household ammonia or 10% white vinegar solution instead of water at first. You should be able to clean the nib easily enough with a microfiber polishing cloth.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

that time that I ordered my pen and didn't realize it was shipping from china, so there was a reason it was $3. I have my nib and ink, but no pen for like a month :/

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Try being Canadian right now. Our postal service has been playing chicken with management for awhile now, and might strike/lock-out any time. I have refill ink for my Copic markers out there somewhere. :(

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I bit the bullet on a Pilot Metro (plain silver, fine tip) from Goulet. I have never been so pumped about something so mundane.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Can anyone doodle out a comparison between a Pilot fine tip and medium tip, maybe on lined paper for scale?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pixelante posted:

Can anyone doodle out a comparison between a Pilot fine tip and medium tip, maybe on lined paper for scale?

Goulet Pena has a nib comparison tool on their website which is pretty cool

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Pixelante posted:

It also depends on what type of pilot pen you want a comparison on. If you are talking about the vanishing point, a M nib is actually pretty broad in comparison to the fine. The difference is not as big with other pilot pens where the medium nib is a European fine.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Pixelante posted:

It's not quite a good comparison, since the Varsity and Prera have different nibs and feed types, and they're different brands of inks, but it's probably good enough? Kinda depends on what you're looking for. I hope it's not color, because this was taken in properly lovely and uneven light. Leatherman for scale, but lines are about 1/4".

It's probably worth noting that the Varsity also flexes a bit more (although "springs/gives" is probably a better way to describe it). The reddish bit's an Ahab, and the tiny black arrow's an empty platinum I need to clean.

The difference feels greater in person/in use than it appears on the screen, for what it's worth. The fine is absolutely finer/something of a pain in the dick if you're using a drier (or dried-out) ink.

Oh wait. I thought I'd posted a comparison between a Pelikan and the Prera in black, but I found this instead. I should point out, that's the same mixture in the Varsity. What an amazing change

Zenostein posted:

I got a Prera in Fine and it is everything I have ever wanted out of a Fine nib! Plus it's just about the same size as my Pelikan M2xx, so it's just about useable unposted. Not that posting it is a problem — it posts nice and securely, and the way the capband is constructed, I'm not terribly concerned about it cracking or anything.

(Colors seem slightly desaturated in the scan, but I can't really be bothered to fiddle with them — PdL is a bit darker, and the Varsity's less red and more lavender in person, I think)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Uh, so here's a $45 Pilot Vanishing Point on Amazon (sold by Amazon) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005A9L9FQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=6JAB2HQIUOW4&coliid=IK2PRDYLC2KJA

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

well poo poo, why not. Doesn't look like that'll lost long though, it went from 5 in stock to 3 in the time it took me to order it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mr. Despair posted:

well poo poo, why not. Doesn't look like that'll lost long though, it went from 5 in stock to 3 in the time it took me to order it.

:hfive:

Checking on Pilot's site it looks like that specific color combination is discontinued, which would explain why it's discounted (but not the level of the discount).

Still a couple of left right now.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Well I wasn't planning on buying a VP today, but I can't pass up the opportunity at that price.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Mr. Despair posted:

Bouuuught one, I really like the white color.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
welp it's 122 bucks now bummer.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oh boy I just bought something really, really, really pretty and I can't wait until it gets here...

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

I've had a pilot metro in my shopping cart for like two weeks now, and I keep getting distracted by other pretty things in the suggestions window. Are there any brands/models to steer away from? Jinhao has a lot of cheap stuff, as does Sipliv. What's the deal with Kakunos, other than the winky face on the nib?

Also, thanks for the demo writing. I got a little worried a medium tip might be too wide for my style of writing. The cheapo disposables are impossible.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sipliv is a seller, not a brand. If you're interested in Jinhao look at the 599a (plastic version only!), or the X450 or X750. The latter two are larger, metal-bodied pens and generally well liked. There are some other pretty decent Chinese brands like Kaigelu, Duke or Picasso that have consistently good pens.

However, the problem with Chinese pens tends to be that it's nearly impossible to get consistent nib sizing. Semi-hooded nibs are generally very fine points, otherwise you might wind up with anything from a western-style fine to a double broad or any point in between. If you want a generally good, very fine nib from a Chinese maker try this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JINHAO-...T8AAOSwe7BWxmge

I've bought at least 10 Jinhao 599s in various colours of both nib types and they've all been pretty good writers.

Now, as for Pilot, the Metro really is a great entry level pen. The nibs are high quality for what you pay, the pens are well made, and they include both a cartridge and a converter for using bottled ink. Nibs from Japanese pens tend to run a full grade smaller than those from comparable Western brands, so a Japanese medium would be a Western fine.

The Kakuno is a children's pen. It's made of lightweight plastic and doesn't have a clip, but it's fairly tough and uses the exact same nibs as the Metropolitan, just with a smiley face instead of engraving. It doesn't come with a converter but if you prefer lighter pens it's certainly an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
The metro, Lamy Safari, TWSBI Eco, and Jinhaos are pretty good starter pens.

Pilots are generally great quality and have excellent QC. I usually have a Vanishing point on me most of the time. Cartridges are decent and refillable. The squeeze bladder is iffy and I'd recommend just filling it with a syringe instead of squeezing back and forth and maybe have a full ink load. The con-50 is clear but does not hold as much as the squeeze bladder.

Lamy Safari is also pretty good as well and the EF nib writes very smooth. It is a pretty wide nib since it's european though. The converter is a bit extra and is okay.

TWSBI eco is a nice steel nib and kind of in between european and japanese nib sizing. It's smooth. Huge capacity. The only issue is QC is an issue and all of their plastic cracks at some point or another.

Jinhaos are pretty decent, snap on caps. Heavy. Comes with a converter and works with international cartridges I believe. Cheap. I think they are better quality than other Chinese pens but most Chinese pens have awful quality. I don't think Jinhaos leak or splutter as much as the other chinese brands.