Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Got called into a meeting across town today because apparently a two byte protocol is too complicated to explain to a vendor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You could have responded with two bytes of your own, like ['n','o'], and see if they understood it.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Sickening posted:

Everyone.

It was done by a lawyer and most of the time was spent telling us about how lawsuits against employers rarely win and would be too stressful for us. It also had some "if you are harassed, please report it" sprinkled in but it was pretty clear what the intent of the "training" was.

I assume we have lost too many employment lawsuits lately and we are trying to hedge on making those tougher in the future.

necromancing the post, but...
I was dropped into mandated "sensitivity training" by virtue of being a contractor working in post genocide Rwanda (because the permies had a nasty habit of asking if people were hutu or tutsi and sending genocide footage around).
I learned a lot. Like how I hate South Africans working in Africa.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Collateral Damage posted:

Our telephony provider runs a hold music loop, but interrupts it every 3 minutes with a voice saying "Hello! <pause> Did you know you can submit a ticket online? Blah blah..." and that loving hello catches me off guard every time.

Even worse is Hi! This is Jenny with %company% I'm excited to speak with you! Please have your name, company name, and any error codes for when a real operator picks up! Every 2 minutes in a 30 minute queue for some company who never answers emails.

Then you actually get Jenny and she answered with Hi! This is Jenny with %company% can I please have your name, company name, and any error codes?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Don't claim your two-bit company can be contacted by email if every email just gets an auto-reply saying "Thanks for your email. Call us: <phone no>"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

I was dropped into mandated "sensitivity training" by virtue of being a contractor working in post genocide Rwanda (because the permies had a nasty habit of asking if people were hutu or tutsi and sending genocide footage around).

How loving dense do you have to be about race relations to do that?

quote:

I learned a lot. Like how I hate South Africans working in Africa.
Okay, I understand how.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Arsten posted:

My only problem with the small utility trucks (Rangers, S10s, etc) is that they are basically a two seater car. They don't have the GVWR to haul more than about 500 pounds (including passengers). I tend to go with at least a Class 2 on the truck side so that you can pull 2-3,000 lbs without issue.

Well mine's admitedly a class 2. I can haul about 2k and I have 4 seats available provided the people in back don't mind dying in jump seats (There's actually a proper extended cab model available but I like using that area for storage not people.)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ugato posted:

Asking for someone with 7-10 years' experience who wants a tier 1 help desk position is asking for a broken shell of a person.

I might have said that word for word if I heard a person say that figure instead of just reading it on a job posting.

If I found someone still working T1 after 10 years I'd assume they were a result of some affirmative action for special needs people.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Have a customer who doesn't meet a core requirement to use our software. We point this out and ask him to configure it.

He claims this is impossible. The requirement cannot be met by anyone ever.

(We have hundreds of customers who meet it. )

Customer won't let it drop. Goes through support from bottom to top. Gets to product management. Gets to VP level.

Finally gets shut down.

Then posts on technet about it claiming it's possible and we are idiots. Guy then posts a reply under a different email (same domain) agreeing with himself.

Convinced a VP at our place this is legit and now we are pulling engineering resources to handle it

What the gently caress

It's times like these where I wish we could just fire these customers.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
People blaming me and my black magic scripts for every little problem.

I wrote a batch script to install a program and all its prereqs. Some moron in informatics thinks a program acting up is because of my install script.

It literally just does what I would be doing by hand anyway. It's a folder move, a file move, and it launches some installers which still neef user input. I didn't do any unattended stuff with the msis or anything,I'm not that sophisticated of a scripter. I've used this dozens of times and this is the only one having the issue. This is not the first person of thinking my magic spells are making their computer crops die. They'll even do this on computers where I didn't use any scripts and don't even know how to automate what they're accusing me of breaking.

I need to hop on my broomstick and go find a job where making bullshit jobs automated is encouraged rather than blamed for weird random errors.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

skooma512 posted:

People blaming me and my black magic scripts for every little problem.

I wrote a batch script to install a program and all its prereqs. Some moron in informatics thinks a program acting up is because of my install script.

It literally just does what I would be doing by hand anyway. It's a folder move, a file move, and it launches some installers which still neef user input. I didn't do any unattended stuff with the msis or anything,I'm not that sophisticated of a scripter. I've used this dozens of times and this is the only one having the issue. This is not the first person of thinking my magic spells are making their computer crops die. They'll even do this on computers where I didn't use any scripts and don't even know how to automate what they're accusing me of breaking.

I need to hop on my broomstick and go find a job where making bullshit jobs automated is encouraged rather than blamed for weird random errors.

Well it's SOMEONE'S fault the work isn't getting done, and it sure as hell isn't Jerky McGee from informatics fault his work isn't getting done.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

MF_James posted:

Well it's SOMEONE'S fault the work isn't getting done, and it sure as hell isn't Jerky McGee from informatics fault his work isn't getting done.

Running Powershell scripts is too complicated for our Helpdesk/Deskside guys, so I always have to create a batch file names something like "INSTALL $SOFTWARE - RUN AS ADMIN!!!" which just points to the powershell script and executes it.

More recently I've been having trouble with our Helpdesk guys being unable to tell the difference between the Acrobat Standard and Pro Install scripts, so I had to create a slightly more complicated batch script that runs and asks the user specifically which version to install. Please press '1" to Install Standard, and so on and so on.

It's getting worse too. Lots of tickets come over, like "Single user is experiencing slowness in enterprise application, please reboot application server."

Oof.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The lady that hassled me about keystore has been haranguing my coworkers that are onsite with her.

• She disappeared for hours from about 10-3. When asked what happened she said my friend didn't do something that was blocking her, so she just left until he did it. She says she emailed him "three times" to get it done. Her three emails were 1) forwarding an email from him asking what he could do to help right back to him with no additional text. 2) an email copying the last email, with her signature fixed, and 3) the same email again but her name was misspelled in her signature, so that was fixed. The PM got angry at her since the guy sits right in front of her, and she could have asked him why it wasn't done, but instead she leaves for five hours.
  • She disappeared Monday at 11, and showed backup at 2 with two extra monitors. When the coworker from #1 asked if he could help her setup them up, she said no, and instead set them up on reams of paper to block everyone's view of her PC monitors. The other coworker there keeps adjusting them slightly on her, and she keeps moving them back
  • She set up a fan blowing right on her, and then directly into the face of another PM that asked her to move it, and she refused. Fortunately...
  • She disappears Tuesday at 12, and shows back up at 3 to take apart her PC and move it to a different cubicle all the way across the flow. She "needs to focus". Well, this is a massive bank, and we specifically get those cubicles. The one she chose belonged to a different cost center, so the manager of that group flipped out and yelled at her to move. They had a conflict, but in the end this guy is a VP of something, so she moved.
  • She walks up to my friend at 5pm, as she's leaving, and tell him "oh, by the way, I told the PM you would have this done by EOB" and gives him a huge task. "Why couldn't you tell me this earlier, when I asked what you needed me to do.?" She shrugs and walks away.
  • My friend is taking four weeks off starting next week to get married, and she's taking over his work while he's gone. So far, she's done all she can to make it impossible for him to show her what's going on, up to and including moving her desk away from him, so she's almost for sure not up on the tasks. All she's done is basically setup Jenkins and irritate everyone, Should be fun when he's gone.
The PM has tried to talk to her, but she responds very badly. I don't think she's long for this job.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

It's getting worse too. Lots of tickets come over, like "Single user is experiencing slowness in enterprise application, please reboot application server."

I love these kinds of tickets. I get a ton that are "search query didn't work as expected, please reindex database." This is refering to the Autonomy database, and a reindex of 1TB of content will take weeks, so I respond "can you please clarify what's not working, reindex will take days." and suddenly they are like "oh, the query was wrong, it's all good, thanks!"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The lady that hassled me about keystore has been haranguing my coworkers that are onsite with her.

How the hell does someone like this keep a job more than a few days never mind a few weeks?

I've seen plenty of people get the boot after a few hours it's magical.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Well after slightly over a month of waiting and several rounds with their useless support agents (who have no clear answers to any question). Apple finally approved the last of our business listings on Maps Connect. Now Siri will stop giving customers the wrong phone numbers!

P.S. gently caress dealing with Apple.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

pixaal posted:

How the hell does someone like this keep a job more than a few days never mind a few weeks?

I've seen plenty of people get the boot after a few hours it's magical.

Seriously,I don't get how people like that keep getting jobs and keeping them

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
poo poo pissing me off: DR4100's and Dell Support for them.

We have 4 1G ports on this POS that are bonded. OK Cool Story.

We needed a 10GB SFP+ card to go iSCSI to a netVault server, because in TYOOL 2016, a thing that runs Linux can't deal with Trunked VLANs. So we put the card in thinking... "Gee the vendor told us to throw this card in and everything will be peachy keen!". Instead the bond decides that eth4 and 5 from the new card is the best, and shits out the 4 interfaces that were 1GB. We then remove the 10GB card, and it decided to complete hose itself and not allow any changes to the bond, no additions, no deletions just gridlock.

On with support for 2.5 hours and its like "well we need to put the card back in and do it form there". I think this is a good idea. But CENT OS 5.7 as your base, and trunking and hardware changes are stumbling blocks... makes me super excited to get this thing into full production.

I guess its "welcome to enterprise hardware" for me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Leaving me in suspense...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

skooma512 posted:

Seriously,I don't get how people like that keep getting jobs and keeping them

I really don't know. Apparently, she's actually a really good java dev, and the work she does is topnotch. I really suspect that since my friend is going away for a month, and this project is important, they need a warm body to fill a seat until he gets back, and then maybe she'll get cut.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

This is a contradiction of terms

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think I need to start job hunting again after a month :(. My wife can't stay on Kaiser, and Insight Global offers a 10,000 deductible HDHP for $700/mo. I really like what I'm doing and who I work with, and my commute is great, but it's impossible to describe how bad Kaiser is, and I can't afford to pay half my take-home for their good health plan.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
kaiser is actually both cool and good, i would reserve phrases like "impossible to describe how bad" for your proposed $10k deductible plan :pwn:

it sounds like the problem is actually your employer's shameful out of pocket expenses for their health insurance plans

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Kaiser doesn't cover a ton of medications, which means that her father is paying $500 per month for insurance that would be leaving them with a $1300/mo bill for 2 prescriptions if her psychiatrist wasn't hooking her up. And no insurance company that cuts out 95% of doctor's offices and then makes you wait on hold for literally 45 minutes to make an appointment is cool or good.

And yes, this contacting company has terrible insurance. As far as I can tell, they don't subsidize at all. I wouldn't have taken the job but I was unemployed for 5 months and needed something bad.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I buy better unsubsidized health insurance on the open market. You should look there.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's what might have to happen. I was looking at it at the beginning of the year because the previous year my company's insurance was terrible, but then I got laid off.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think I need to start job hunting again after a month :(. My wife can't stay on Kaiser, and Insight Global offers a 10,000 deductible HDHP for $700/mo. I really like what I'm doing and who I work with, and my commute is great, but it's impossible to describe how bad Kaiser is, and I can't afford to pay half my take-home for their good health plan.

What in the unfiltered gently caress? This is a health insurance plan that people actually buy? $700 a month for a $10,000 excess?

Your health insurance system is broken, good lord.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Weatherman posted:

Yeah but we have fried chicken and beef brisket!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Weatherman posted:

What in the unfiltered gently caress? This is a health insurance plan that people actually buy? $700 a month for a $10,000 excess?

Yeah, but the worst part is the people who unironically defend it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Isn't that considered a catastrophic only health plan at that point? I don't think even rates to even avoid the stupid tax penalty. Is that an Obamacare plan?

I actually did the math once. I make 44,000 dollars per year. I converted that to pounds and then compared how much each government taxes/would tax me based on my income. Despite all the ghost stories the American media peddles, you know much more I'd be paying in taxes in the UK versus the US?

1000 bucks more, that's it. I still have to pay for whatever bullshit excuse for a health plan my employer begrudgingly provides on top of all the taxes I pay. And if you want to get technical, I have to pay the state taxes too and directly or not, property tax.

But it's ok. This way the money goes to insurance companies so they can gamble on wall street :patriot:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Weatherman posted:

According to Hank Green, between medicare, medicaid and federal employees, Americans pay more per capita in taxes for health care than the British. (with the obvious difference that not all Americans get health care). THAT's how hosed up our health care system is.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Yeah, but the worst part is the people who unironically defend it.

The sad part is that people don't realize it's exactly what we had before, only with the most expensive perks added on and now required! Well, at least all of the hospitals are conglomerating into a single giant faceless health care network, now. If anyone cares about your health, it's business big enough to pay a shitload in regulatory costs. :v:

Gounads posted:

According to Hank Green, between medicare, medicaid and federal employees, Americans pay more per capita in taxes for health care than the British. (with the obvious difference that not all Americans get health care). THAT's how hosed up our health care system is.

What's hosed up is that after the last 20 years, people still think that either the Republicans or Democrats are a good idea. Two wars, the Patriot Act, and the ACA all worked out fine, right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

JewKiller 3000 posted:

kaiser is actually both cool and good, i would reserve phrases like "impossible to describe how bad" for your proposed $10k deductible plan :pwn:

it sounds like the problem is actually your employer's shameful out of pocket expenses for their health insurance plans
That is the most insane plan I have ever heard of.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even "good" health insurance is poo poo. The list of medications that need to be pre-approved is constantly growing. Even though you're dumping a ton of your paycheck into the plan every month, the insurance company feels like they aren't making enough money so they've decided they're doctors now too and get to prescribe your treatments.

Granted a lot of that is motivated by the pharma companies loving everyone over, but that's another topic.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Privatized health care is almost as dumb as privatized prisons.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does the employer offer a health savings account of any sort? I think most HDHP plans offer them. My employer also has a lovely $5k deductible for a single person $10k for a family but they offer a health savings plan and match it 50/50 up to $5k a year which really helps.

Our health system is so hosed up. My goal is to not have to go to the doctor for the next 40 years, god willing. I had to have a root canal recently and tried to shop around for the best price. Literally impossible. Our healthcare system is so bad that we cant even get transparent pricing on things.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gounads posted:

The NHS is actually per-capita one of the lower cost healthcare systems in Europe to run. Centralised procurement and removing billing bureaucracy has its benefits.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

feedmegin posted:

The NHS is actually per-capita one of the lower cost healthcare systems in Europe to run. Centralised procurement and removing billing bureaucracy has its benefits.

And no health insurance company profits!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Does the employer offer a health savings account of any sort? I think most HDHP plans offer them. My employer also has a lovely $5k deductible for a single person $10k for a family but they offer a health savings plan and match it 50/50 up to $5k a year which really helps.

Our health system is so hosed up. My goal is to not have to go to the doctor for the next 40 years, god willing. I had to have a root canal recently and tried to shop around for the best price. Literally impossible. Our healthcare system is so bad that we cant even get transparent pricing on things.

Seriously. My kid had some fillings and due to a clerical error I got a bill for about $600. When I investigated, I found that the dentist actually charges like $99999999 for everything and the insurance company just says "nope we pay $100" so the dentist takes it. If you don't have insurance you end up having to pay $9999999 for no reason at all. It's madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Seriously. My kid had some fillings and due to a clerical error I got a bill for about $600. When I investigated, I found that the dentist actually charges like $99999999 for everything and the insurance company just says "nope we pay $100" so the dentist takes it. If you don't have insurance you end up having to pay $9999999 for no reason at all. It's madness.

There's a Time Magazine article called "Bitter Pill: Why Medical Bills are Killing Us." It describes exactly this scenario. The role setting prices for a health system being called a chargemaster and how arbitrary it really is.