Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

McSpanky posted:

It's especially messed up that this happens in a comic that goes out of its way to call out and dismantle victim blaming. I mean vigilantism is basically victim blaming's big angry older brother, you're justifying murder by saying to yourself that the victims had it coming. Eventually you'll start to notice that a lot of those people who had it coming have similar beliefs, or wear the same clothes, or hang out together... why bother waiting for them to do it, you already know the type. If they didn't want to get murdered they shouldn't have said it/worn it/ganged up like that, know what I mean? #marywasright #bernardgoetzit

The really frustrating thing to me is that the comic seemed to understand that Mary's actions were bad as of the barn scene. She is portrayed as unhinged and sadistic. It felt like she was going to be a character who was doing the wrong things, but for understandable reasons. But nope. 8 months later we get Mary giving Alison sad puppy dog eyes and laying down the moral of the chapter. "Vigilante murder is more worthwhile and more moral than going to college to try and figure out how to make a positive difference."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Alison didn't tell anyone about Mary either, did she? The killings will continue, Alison's going to see in the paper ever so often that there's still men with their throats spontaneously splitting open in the middle of the street, and she'll roll her eyes and carry on. She wasn't particularly picky about her victims either, one only did domestic abuse instead of rape, one was only guilty of being a jerk and one hadn't actually committed any crime yet, they had just been caught probably attempting to commit one and was already going to expelled for it anyways, and she stabbed that guy's roommate. She's pretty capricious with her extra-judicial killings.

Hell, with all those high profile mysterious murders that an awful lot of people react to by going all, "Gee whillickers, I'm not going to do all the stabbing myself, but I sure don't mind people being gruesomely murdered in public!" They've basically written the setup for Death Note.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
And now we just see her spectating support groups and going on dates while a super-powered serial killer whose identity is only known by her and a couple others is still on the loose.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

SlothfulCobra posted:

Alison didn't tell anyone about Mary either, did she? The killings will continue, Alison's going to see in the paper ever so often that there's still men with their throats spontaneously splitting open in the middle of the street, and she'll roll her eyes and carry on. She wasn't particularly picky about her victims either, one only did domestic abuse instead of rape, one was only guilty of being a jerk and one hadn't actually committed any crime yet, they had just been caught probably attempting to commit one and was already going to expelled for it anyways, and she stabbed that guy's roommate. She's pretty capricious with her extra-judicial killings.

Hell, with all those high profile mysterious murders that an awful lot of people react to by going all, "Gee whillickers, I'm not going to do all the stabbing myself, but I sure don't mind people being gruesomely murdered in public!" They've basically written the setup for Death Note.

I recall that guy was already being sued for sexual assault that he did in a previous school he went to and was running from. So don't worry, 100% guilty!

EDIT: Here it is: http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-5/2308/

The thing with Mary with me is that at the beginning, it is clear that she was set up to be an anti-Alison: She was trying to change things for the better, yes, but through destructive means that will eventually cause more problems than she can fix. But somewhere along the line, instead of having the natural consequences of that sort of thing happening, they buckle and shrug, and makes it so her killings are 100% JUST TOTALLY PERFECT INFO. Makes me think that Mary has become a pet character.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 9, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
HAHAHAHA this loving page.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Alison didn't tell anyone about Mary either, did she?

No she did. http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-5/page-149/

On that same page, Mary also tapes her own confession, and in the next page Alison is seen handing it over.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mary was still right though. :smug:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-6/page-61-3/

Oh yeah, it definitely reads like a parody at this point.

I wanted to say that but then I remembered that there are real places in my country where "safe space" means a room filled with tv's playing movies of puppies and children's toys. This is supposed to be for a safe space for adults by the way.

It's funny reading the comments because one very enthusiastic person is going around telling people why whenever someone establishes their boundaries it's violent to even question it. Like there's no room for negotiation or even talking through why some words, especially non-slurs, should be stigmatized because one person in the room doesn't like it.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Brought To You By posted:

I wanted to say that but then I remembered that there are real places in my country where "safe space" means a room filled with tv's playing movies of puppies and children's toys. This is supposed to be for a safe space for adults by the way.

It's funny reading the comments because one very enthusiastic person is going around telling people why whenever someone establishes their boundaries it's violent to even question it. Like there's no room for negotiation or even talking through why some words, especially non-slurs, should be stigmatized because one person in the room doesn't like it.

Hahaha, that guy

:allears:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I enjoy how blatantly wrong his first sentence is. The ability to consider others complexly sounds like theory of mind. Sociopaths typically have incredible theory of mind.

The comments that get to me are the responses to people wondering why this support group doesn't seem very supportive. Apparently, it's just normal for support groups to be extremely challenging, difficult spaces. Is this really true? Seems kind of awful if so.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Clemens is not doing a fantastic job of selling his point of view and mode of thought to people who don't already share it. To the extent that I agree with him I'm embarrassed to be associated.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
edit: doublepost, I am a trash pile

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wittgen posted:

The comments that get to me are the responses to people wondering why this support group doesn't seem very supportive. Apparently, it's just normal for support groups to be extremely challenging, difficult spaces. Is this really true? Seems kind of awful if so.

You're taking a bunch of people with their own damages and ways of coping, and hoping that together they can forge something for each of them to use. That is NOT a pretty process, even when it works. And when it doesn't...

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Creepy thread full of dipshits

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
*puts back of hand on forehead* Your use of the word thread has triggered me, I do not feel safe

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
funny joke

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

This page is kinda neat? I mean the idea of pure positivity about something not always helping, countdown till the comic fucks it up.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I was cringing pretty bad up until the last panel, which I think might be going somewhere much better.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

I was cringing pretty bad up until the last panel, which I think might be going somewhere much better.

The last panel sparked a sliver of hope in a world of madness.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Yeah that last panel is actually somewhat hopeful. gently caress basing your sense of self worth on your appearance anyway, I've had way too much trouble with that myself to buy into "we're all beautiful" as a good basis for therapy or whatever's going on here.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Stormgale posted:

This page is kinda neat? I mean the idea of pure positivity about something not always helping, countdown till the comic fucks it up.

I like it. Fish girl has spent her whole life getting fed the "your body is beautiful" line but doesn't believe it herself. In a room where at least two other people have bodies that defy any human standard for beauty she's in a good place to get another perspective on it.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Woebin posted:

Yeah that last panel is actually somewhat hopeful. gently caress basing your sense of self worth on your appearance anyway, I've had way too much trouble with that myself to buy into "we're all beautiful" as a good basis for therapy or whatever's going on here.

Remember, the facilitator for this session is barely twenty, just like all the attendees.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I find that I like Amanda.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a really fair point because of course she's not conventionally beautiful, she is some kind of anthropomorphic giant fish that barely looks human. What exactly would "you are beautiful" even mean to her from this group beyond some kind of blind positive reinforcement? It's essentially making the word meaningless.

I mean, it's fine to not be beautiful, isn't it? It's through no fault of her own. Maybe this support group shouldn't be saying that like it's important to her self worth.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
It's really just Carmen saying that, and frankly, Carmen's kind of... easy to make fun of.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

armadillo girl: Vanessa
green girl: Carmen
three-eyed girl: Rian
blob-in-a-tank girl: Tina
Deep One girl: Amanda

we're left with giant orange feathery girl, blue girl, and horns girl. Odds on them all being named before this scene is done?

and odds on any of them recurring later?

(also, I like how, when everyone else raises her hand. Tina raises her tank's little grasping arm. And also, where Amanda points out that she wears a bow specifically to help reduce misgendering... she's also carrying a frilly pink purse.)

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I really liked the art on this page. Specifically the layout of the 4th panel the way it crops out Amanda's head and really forces you to focus on her body and the way she's trying to sit in the smallest most feminine way possible while holding that flowery handbag. That one panel really said a lot about to me about the character's plight without any words at all. I could practically feel the desperation she felt with her situation.

And then she actually said some sensible things too.

I hope the author doesn't screw this up. Amanda is the first character to be introduced in years that I really want to learn more about.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Seriously, if this comic could regularly be as good as this page/Chapter 3 it would be one of the best ever.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
It's irregular. Needs more fiber.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
How're the comments?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Discendo Vox posted:

How're the comments?

Pretty boring, they're mostly just patting the writer on the back.

One thing I've noticed about the comments on this comic though is that a lot of people read way, way too much into it and then go off on tangents thinking what they assume is 100% fact. Like the first one with the green chick, there was one or two people replying to a dozen other people about how she had to have been raped because reasons. On the previous page a ton of people were making all sorts of weird assumptions about the gas person and how turning into a gas must have felt and using that to just shut down comments they didn't like. Weird poo poo.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Nuebot posted:

On the previous page a ton of people were making all sorts of weird assumptions about the gas person and how turning into a gas must have felt and using that to just shut down comments they didn't like. Weird poo poo.

I stand by my crazy extrapolations about Tina's traumatic becoming-a-fluid!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh hey, I remember why I started following this comic :unsmith:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Cool, I'm actually interested in seeing where things go again. That's refreshing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Anyone else confused by that last panel? I have no idea what that is implying but my first thought involved Furnace floating by.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I just figured it was setting up for the next page, dealing with what made her stop.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
This is a great great page.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I like this character I think.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
You know, I remember when Cleaver raged about Allison going "Time to put away the toys and grow up" in that interview, I wonder if that will come up. Amanda isn't as unemployable as Cleaver, but she also couldn't have just taken off a goofy domino mask and go have a normal life that easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

The first panel of this week's comic is great :3:

• Locked thread