Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I am interested in knowing more about fat research. Have any links I can read up on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yes, many fat people are born that way, just like black people, women, and homosexuals. It's definitely not a controllable lifestyle thing for most people.

Since you implicitly accept that it is not a controllable lifestyle for some people, how would you propose to distinguish between the fat people it's ok to discriminate against and the ones its not okay to discriminate against?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yes, many fat people are born that way, just like black people, women, and homosexuals. It's definitely not a controllable lifestyle thing for most people.

What does it say about you that you need an entire class of people to poo poo all over based on a medical issue?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
As a butcher I am dependant on a positive CPH.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

misty mountaintop posted:

Since you implicitly accept that it is not a controllable lifestyle for some people, how would you propose to distinguish between the fat people it's ok to discriminate against and the ones its not okay to discriminate against?

It's almost like if they have a legitimate medical issue they'd be covered because they could go to their doctor and would be "disabled." You know, like every other person covered due to disease by the ADA?

"Unable to stop eating because I like it" is not a legitimate medical issue.

Solkanar512 posted:

What does it say about you that you need an entire class of people to poo poo all over based on a medical issue?

What does it say about you that you're this upset about the idea that some people who are fat absolutely have control over it?

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Massasoit posted:

I am interested in knowing more about fat research. Have any links I can read up on?

Here's a good link and here's another one.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sorry friend, you don't get to pull the "yo mad, bro" poo poo here. Answer my question.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

Sorry friend, you don't get to pull the "yo mad, bro" poo poo here. Answer my question.

Sorry friend, you don't get to pull the "moral high ground" poo poo here. Your question was stupid.

But here: If me pointing out that being fat is not a definite genetic thing, but rather most likely a result of lifestyle, and your default response was to get supermad, perhaps you should think about the difference in being fat and the other, actual protected classes I pointed out. If you're overweight due to disease and it's uncontrollable, you would be disabled, would you not? Encouraging unhealthy Americans who are overweight just because they don't want to stop eating by making the entirety of that population "protected" is stupid and makes us as a nation even more unhealthy.

So I guess sorry if you mad.

No Butt Stuff fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 12, 2016

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

No Butt Stuff posted:

It's almost like if they have a legitimate medical issue they'd be covered because they could go to their doctor and would be "disabled." You know, like every other person covered due to disease by the ADA?

"Unable to stop eating because I like it" is not a legitimate medical issue.

People don't discriminate against fat people after they check their papers. They discriminate against them on sight.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

No Butt Stuff posted:

What does it say about you that you're this upset about the idea that some people who are fat absolutely have control over it?

so you're accepting that some do not

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

No Butt Stuff posted:

Encouraging unhealthy Americans who are overweight just because they don't want to stop eating by making the entirety of that population "protected" is stupid and makes us as a nation even more unhealthy.

There is absolutely no proof anywhere for this claim.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

misty mountaintop posted:

There is absolutely no proof anywhere for this claim.

Okay. You win. Good luck.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If someone who is overweight because of a medical diagnosis due to glandular etc.. then the ADA covers them being discriminated against.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Are the hearings on cspan or cspan2?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Okay. You win. Good luck.

You should work on arguing your points better instead of getting salty and giving up when people disagree with you. That's basically what D&D is for.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Sorry friend, you don't get to pull the "moral high ground" poo poo here. Your question was stupid.

But here: If me pointing out that being fat is not a definite genetic thing, but rather most likely a result of lifestyle, and your default response was to get supermad, perhaps you should think about the difference in being fat and the other, actual protected classes I pointed out.
...why do you feel the need to discriminate against people who most likely simply don't have the time and mental energy to spend X hours a day on preparing food?

The solution to adult obesity is allowing people to spend welfare money in healthy communal kitchens takeout chains. Only once poor people start eating healthily, others won't be able to judge them for that and feel superior, soooo....

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

You should work on arguing your points better instead of getting salty and giving up when people disagree with you. That's basically what D&D is for.

I honestly was going to go in that direction, but it felt like a pile on, and that immediately made me question my own thoughts and attitudes about obesity in America. Is it because my father was obese and I picked up on a lot of those eating habits and had to change them? Do I perceive fat people as automatically lazy? Is there an acceptable number from the scientific community about what percentage of overweight people are that way due to genetics or disease? I realize I was arguing from more of a knee jerk reaction than a deeply held belief, and it didn't seem like it was worth arguing with someone who, to me, seemed just to be arguing more from an emotional standpoint and a "if some are, then we must protect all" standpoint. Beyond that, when I started to think about what way I would want to frame the argument (the argument I was not sure I wanted to have or was on the correct side of), I tried putting it in the context of other disabilities or anecdotes, and couldn't make any fit that didn't make me feel like a huge rear end in a top hat.

So I guess what I should have said was "yeah, I'm still not convinced, but there is no way that I'm going to be able to put together what I feel would be a good enough rebuttal based on facts and evidence in the time it's going to take this thread to forget about this topic and move on to whatever mass shooting happens today."

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

We should have conscription so everyone has to be healthy from 18-20. When was the last time you saw a young fat Israeli?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

what was no butt stuff supposed to say in response to a 'Cites plz' one liner?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/752868814199685120

Also Conyers is no Cummings.

Conyers is, in an extremely old man voice, is talking about gun violence and access to the ballot box, and nothing about this hearing yet.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

No Butt Stuff posted:

But here: If me pointing out that being fat is not a definite genetic thing, but rather most likely a result of lifestyle, and your default response was to get supermad, perhaps you should think about the difference in being fat and the other, actual protected classes I pointed out. If you're overweight due to disease and it's uncontrollable, you would be disabled, would you not? Encouraging unhealthy Americans who are overweight just because they don't want to stop eating by making the entirety of that population "protected" is stupid and makes us as a nation even more unhealthy.

So I guess sorry if you mad.

You seem to be looking for an excuse to treat other human beings like poo poo. I think you should find other hobbies.

I hope this doesn't make me "mad" or even "supermad".

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

You seem to be looking for an excuse to treat other human beings like poo poo. I think you should find other hobbies.

I hope this doesn't make me "mad" or even "supermad".

Where did "they shouldn't be a protected class" turn into "nah, they're subhuman garbage" exactly?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

what was no butt stuff supposed to say in response to a 'Cites plz' one liner?

When somebody says "actually, the thing your instincts tell you is wrong", you don't get to respond with "BUT MY INSTINCTS!!!!"

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Doesn't being stressed out all the time mess with your metabolism? Guess what being poor does pretty much 24/7!

Like it's probably not the only factor in increasing obesity based on the problem existing to various extents in places with functioning social safety net programs but I would hazard a guess it's one of the reasons why America is near the top of the charts when it comes to obesity

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If you eat a lot of food and don't move much you get fat pretty sure this is widely known

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

"There is no proof anywhere for this claim" is not 'you're wrong'. (which would actually require being defended)

it's a way to push the burden of argument on the other person, to provide affirmative proof via a study or something of what they are saying before you will even consider the point being made. Not exactly fodder for encouraging discussion; at best, it encourages a cite war.

EDIT: I think cite wars are worthless

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

We should have conscription so everyone has to be healthy from 18-20. When was the last time you saw a young fat Israeli?

Haredi (ultra-Orthodox) Jewish communities in Israel have a serious obesity problem, with Haredi Jews being seven times more likely to be obese than the rest of the Israeli population.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

rscott posted:

Doesn't being stressed out all the time mess with your metabolism? Guess what being poor does pretty much 24/7!

Like it's probably not the only factor in increasing obesity based on the problem existing to various extents in places with functioning social safety net programs but I would hazard a guess it's one of the reasons why America is near the top of the charts when it comes to obesity

Also has to do with access to food. In a lot of low income communities there aren't supermarkets that are easy to get to that have fresh produce/healthier options so you see a lot of processed/packages food being bought and eaten. Food deserts suck

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*silently counts down until someone uses "fat" as a noun*

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Main Paineframe posted:

Haredi (ultra-Orthodox) Jewish communities in Israel have a serious obesity problem, with Haredi Jews being seven times more likely to be obese than the rest of the Israeli population.

Those are the ones with exemptions so they don't have to serve in the army, right?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

it's a way to push the burden of argument on the other person, to provide affirmative proof via a study or something of what they are saying before you will even consider the point being made. Not exactly fodder for encouraging discussion; at best, it encourages a cite war.
...when it comes to scientific opinions about a subject as complex as nutrition, the scholarly sources are the only ones worth considering. There's no "argument" to be made outside of the empirical data!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like a good fat joke as much as the next guy, but the vitriol and hatred directed toward fat people by internet fat haters is beyond any kind of rationale. It's telling that the issue that led to the spin off of a "less restrictive" reddit offsite wasn't the banning of the extreme racist or jail bait reddits, but the one devoted to the most vile, hateful speech against fat people, including taking pictures of them irl and harrassing them on line. If you google voat, the fat people hate section is the second most popular sub site. The fat hate GBS thread was one that got rolled into the hell thread, because that's how bad the content was.

Since I doubt that fat people killed all these peoples parents, I think there are two main factors at play here. I think some of them are fat people themselves and are engaging in a weird kind of masochistic self hatred by going after fat people on line. I think the rest are victims of bullies themselves, skinny nerds punching down on one of the few types that are below them on whatever scale of coolness we use in society.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

zoux posted:

I like a good fat joke as much as the next guy, but the vitriol and hatred directed toward fat people by internet fat haters is beyond any kind of rationale. It's telling that the issue that led to the spin off of a "less restrictive" reddit offsite wasn't the banning of the extreme racist or jail bait reddits, but the one devoted to the most vile, hateful speech against fat people, including taking pictures of them irl and harrassing them on line. If you google voat, the fat people hate section is the second most popular sub site. The fat hate GBS thread was one that got rolled into the hell thread, because that's how bad the content was.

Since I doubt that fat people killed all these peoples parents, I think there are two main factors at play here. I think some of them are fat people themselves and are engaging in a weird kind of masochistic self hatred by going after fat people on line. I think the rest are victims of bullies themselves, skinny nerds punching down on one of the few types that are below them on whatever scale of coolness we use in society.

It comes from the exact same place as racism, honestly. The important thing is that there's a group who I get to consider worse than me.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
There's plenty of fat young'ns in Israel. I used to see one every time I looked in the mirror.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

zoux posted:

it was really telling when duncan from FYAD tried to reason with them on why mocking fat people is counterproductive to everything learned about weight loss and was widely ridiculed in response cause what would he know

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

...when it comes to scientific opinions about a subject as complex as nutrition, the scholarly sources are the only ones worth considering. There's no "argument" to be made outside of the empirical data!

the particular argument in question was

"Encouraging unhealthy Americans who are overweight just because they don't want to stop eating by making the entirety of that population "protected" is stupid and makes us as a nation even more unhealthy. "

if you take this apart, the claims being made are

"There are unhealthy Americans who are overweight just because they don't want to stop eating"

which is both common wisdom and scientifically valid; the NIH says "A lack of energy balance most often causes overweight and obesity. Energy balance means that your energy IN equals your energy OUT." While the statement didn't address energy balance, 'eating too much' is generally shorthand for 'eating too much and not exercising enough.' EDIT: Which is to say that while nutrition is complicated, the basics of calories in:calories out for a normal hyuman are not.

and

"If people are more overweight, they are less healthy"

which is both common wisdom and scientifically valid, cite: the definition of obese, asking your doctor

Since both of those claims are common wisdom where everyone at least understands the argument being made (even if they disagree with it), the points didn't really need to be made.

and

"Making overweight a generally protected class will discourage people from working to be less overweight" which seems a straightforwardly logical claim to me that did not need scientific dissection; it would be nearly impossible to conduct a scientific study of this in any case because the effect in question (legal protection) seems difficult to study in a lab. edit: I guess you could study the counterpoint of whether societal disapproval encourages people to diet or exercise, but i think it's safe to say that it does.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 12, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boy oh boy is Lynch not cooperating with this bullshit.

Going out a week before hand and saying "I'll do whatever the FBI recommends" is really loving them over because she's just referring all their questions back to Comey lmao and they are mad.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

zoux posted:

Boy oh boy is Lynch not cooperating with this bullshit.

Going out a week before hand and saying "I'll do whatever the FBI recommends" is really loving them over because she's just referring all their questions back to Comey lmao and they are mad.

Is that already happening?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

Is that already happening?

Yeah.

Conyers is questioning again and only asking about the two dudes that got murdered by police. I wonder if the D strat is just to pretend like the whole hearing is bullshit or if Conyers is going off book here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the particular argument in question was

"Encouraging unhealthy Americans who are overweight just because they don't want to stop eating by making the entirety of that population "protected" is stupid and makes us as a nation even more unhealthy. "

if you take this apart, the claims being made are

"There are unhealthy Americans who are overweight just because they don't want to stop eating"

which is both common wisdom and scientifically valid; the NIH says "A lack of energy balance most often causes overweight and obesity. Energy balance means that your energy IN equals your energy OUT." While the statement didn't address energy balance, 'eating too much' is generally shorthand for 'eating too much and not exercising enough.'

and

"If people are more overweight, they are less healthy"

which is both common wisdom and scientifically valid, cite: the definition of obese, asking your doctor

Since both of those claims are common wisdom where everyone at least understands the argument being made (even if they disagree with it), the points didn't really need to be made.

and

"Making overweight a generally protected class will discourage people from working to be less overweight" which seems a straightforwardly logical claim to me that did not need scientific dissection; it would be nearly impossible to conduct a scientific study of this in any case because the effect in question (societal approval/disapproval) is impossible to study in a lab.

I'm not sure what the protected class for fat people will achieve. Is it to let them sue for discrimination of they get fired? The ADA would already cover anyone with movement restrictions and the like. It's one thing to not advocate fat people be mocked (which literally is counter productive) and another to straight up buy into healthy at any size bullshit.

• Locked thread