Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you live near Narberth, PA someone loved the living hell out of Ingress and the main street is like a hyper spot of activity. Parked outside the post office for a minute and got three of them. The local bottle shop and ice cream shop also seem to be using lures on their businesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Beat my first gym yesterday at a local dog park, my glorious yellow flag was up for about 20 seconds before getting demolished and replaced by team blue and guarded by a Pokemon with twice the CP as my highest. Looked over and saw a 12 year old girl on her phone. :argh:

gfanikf posted:

If you live near Narberth, PA someone loved the living hell out of Ingress and the main street is like a hyper spot of activity. Parked outside the post office for a minute and got three of them. The local bottle shop and ice cream shop also seem to be using lures on their businesses.

Smart! Donut shop down the street from my apartment is a Pokestop and they seem to have a lure up every morning around rush hour. I wonder if places are going to see an uptick in business from things like this, I could see Nintendo making another billion dollars from businesses paying to get added as Pokestops or gyms. (I kinda hope this doesn't happen though, I like everything being centered around art or history)

Hobo Clown fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 12, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So it's currently storming in my city. Do different Pokemon actually show up when it rains or was that info completely wrong like most info about this game?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Hobo Clown posted:

Beat my first gym yesterday at a local dog park, my glorious yellow flag was up for about 20 seconds before getting demolished and replaced by team blue and guarded by a Pokemon with twice the CP as my highest. Looked over and saw a 12 year old girl on her phone. :argh:

Very much in the spirit of the show, a bunch of grown adults getting dunked on by small unsupervised children

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

Her rattata must be in the top percentile.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So it's currently storming in my city. Do different Pokemon actually show up when it rains or was that info completely wrong like most info about this game?

The best theory is that theres something based on area popularity (how many people walk around) and the type of area ( parks obviusly get more pokemons than inside buildings).

The game seems to recognize some type of day-night cycle, so zubats are going to be more prone to spawn based on how dark is the sky in the game (but here in spain, it don't match our daylight time).

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Tei posted:

The game seems to recognize some type of day-night cycle, so zubats are going to be more prone to spawn based on how dark is the sky in the game (but here in spain, it don't match our daylight time).

Around here (East Coast) it seems to switch over at exactly 8am/8pm.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

gfanikf posted:

Nice. I work in West Chester and for a small town with uni out of session, it got busy quickly. (So many churches and plaques.) I've got a couple friends also on Blue, we're probably going to try to make regular excursions around the borough.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Wife and I went for a 'pokewalk' last night, and we sat down at a park with a lure up on it. A few other couples were hanging out there and obviously playing pokemon, which was cool and p chill.

A young woman comes up all high-strung and asks, seriously, if we were attacking the red gym nearby. We say no. The young girl then vents about how stressful it is controlling the gym from people trying to take it, blah blah blah. Legit stressed about this. The people at the table over laugh at her and say they're trying to take it over.

The young woman then says 'but have you captured the Snorlax up by [Local pizza join 2 blocks away]?'

They hadn't. So all three of them go marching away to the pizza joint staring at their invisible monster game.

Bravo, gym leader. Bravo.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Has there been any talk about eventually offering the ability to change teams? My area has a healthy mix of all three but for strategy sake I'd like to be the same color as my girlfriend (context)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

Downtown Dallas is hoppin' this morning.

*Having an office in the suburbs on 7/6

"Man this is so great, I don't have to fight the clusterf that is 75 every day driving in to work"

*Having an office in the suburbs on 7/11

"This is garbage, there's no pokestops nearby and the ones when I go out to lunch are never lured"

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Two questions: Is there any purpose whatsoever to tapping on the map and seeing the blue ping appear? Sometimes when I'm on the map screen, I hear a little whimper or whine noise. What the gently caress is that?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

how do i send the game fake gps data to put me in NYC. that's a thing right

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

Has there been any talk about eventually offering the ability to change teams? My area has a healthy mix of all three but for strategy sake I'd like to be the same color as my girlfriend (context)

I imagine they have plans to introduce a lot of content later on. For one I can't imagine they never add the ability to duel other trainers in your area, that just seems like wasted potential. Or the ability to trade pokemon with someone near you

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I imagine they have plans to introduce a lot of content later on. For one I can't imagine they never add the ability to duel other trainers in your area, that just seems like wasted potential. Or the ability to trade pokemon with someone near you

The second they introduce this, every major city is gonna be lousy with speed dating events based around it

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Has anyone come in to explain why Nintendo will be going out of business any minute now yet

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!
Living in a major city is amazing for leveling up and catching Pokemon, but I actually think it would be fun to live in a smaller town with just a few gyms for the purpose of battling. Being surrounded by a billion gyms makes it a constant back and forth game and it's not really possible to overthrow one for very long. I imagine a small town with like 4 gyms would be fun to see the same people battling for domination. Time to finally visit my parents I guess.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

oddium posted:

GPS spoofing is a thing, and was a good way to get banned in Ingress apparently.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

showbiz_liz posted:

The second they introduce this, every major city is gonna be lousy with speed dating events based around it

"We met at a lured Pokestop" is the new "we met on OKCupid"

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
My GPS issues are giving me crippling depression. I just want to catch Manz while I go for a "smoke break".

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Living in a major city is amazing for leveling up and catching Pokemon, but I actually think it would be fun to live in a smaller town with just a few gyms for the purpose of battling. Being surrounded by a billion gyms makes it a constant back and forth game and it's not really possible to overthrow one for very long. I imagine a small town with like 4 gyms would be fun to see the same people battling for domination. Time to finally visit my parents I guess.

I'm just north of Boston and there's about 4 gyms visible on the map from my apartment. During the day they switch from red/yellow and then at night around 3-4am one single blue guy goes to each one and claims it. Only to repeat the next day. It's very strange

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pumpy Dumper posted:

It's already confirmed that a future update will add trading and new ways to interact with PokeStops, and more unannounced content in bi-weekly updates. That said, I don't think they'll add the ability to change teams because they never added that for Ingress; if you want to change teams, you get a new email address and sign up a brand new account. They probably don't want people abusing the ability to change teams to do things like trade Pokemon away from their teammates and then switch and give them to an opposing team.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I was pleasantly surprised when I went into town today to find out that the place is crawling with Pokestops and suchlike. So it's just the really local area that's bereft of stuff.

This had better have enough staying power for the game to reach Goomy.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Some of the code for trading is already in the game, as is data for a promotion with McDonalds.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

RoflcopterPilot posted:

It's actually not great. There's always going to be a small amount of people that go crazy with stuff like this so gyms are still locked down with absurdly high stuff but you don't get the fun of seeing pokemon everywhere. I live in a fairly dense suburb next to a major metro area that apparently wasn't big into Ingress so there's few pokestops which means very few pokemon to catch.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

chitoryu12 posted:

It's already confirmed that a future update will add trading and new ways to interact with PokeStops, and more unannounced content in bi-weekly updates. That said, I don't think they'll add the ability to change teams because they never added that for Ingress; if you want to change teams, you get a new email address and sign up a brand new account. They probably don't want people abusing the ability to change teams to do things like trade Pokemon away from their teammates and then switch and give them to an opposing team.

not true, there was allowed one team change per account; once you changed teams you lost all progress, xm, items, etc and were reset to level 1 though

had to be done through ingress' support site i think

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I was just thinking how effective it would be for smaller B&M shops, POIs, and maybe other locations that people spend their money at. Location owner or employee pops a lure... BOOM you've got many potential customers.

Obviously most people will just congregate and then leave but probably not a bad idea for a ice cream shop or something.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

That70sShirt posted:

This game is absolutely amazing when it's working. Case in point:

In the small, podunk town of 3000 people where my GF and live there are only 4 gyms. The one downtown seems to be under constant blue control (my team), the ones at the post office and a local historical building are always changing owners, and the last one is the town firehouse. The firehouse is always under control from the firemen who live there and who are, naturally, team red. Yesterday evening I saw that it had been taken over by blue so we rushed over there to add our support. By the time we got there the firemen had re-taken it and was back under red control. When my GF and I started trying to re-capture for blue, a couple of the firemen appeared in a second-floor window and one (jokingly) yelled at us, "Stop killing my Jolteon! Gawd!"

Made my day. It was hilarious to be fighting for control over the local firestation against the firemen who live in it using loving pokemon.

We beat his jolteon, but got the 1hp glitch so decided to move on. Even if we had captured the gym it would be back under red control within a few minutes, max. Those drat firemen will defend their station to their dying breath.

Game is fun as poo poo.

This is absolutely something I could see happening in one of the mainline games - some young punk trainer coming up and battling a troop of firefighters at the firehouse.

Although the firemen should be using Vaporeons and not Jolteons. :colbert:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The funnier stories are of the people who unknowingly bought properties that were Ingress sites and then converted them to residential. So now they have people flocking to their house at all hours looking for Snorlax.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
theres a rarely used catering restaurant that is a gym near my apartment and it changes hands every day between all three teams

some goobers on team yellow started to fortify it and im going to go ruin their day later this evening

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

oddium posted:

Sure, if you want to get banned.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

FrankieGoes posted:

Unless red or blue in your area is still a weak team. We've already seen people say that the local sportsball teams color is red (or blue), so anything other than that is always going to be the weak team. Better to implement some sort of mechanic that will help even things out.

Any Pittsburgh goons itt? I wonder if Team Yellow is significantly more popular there than elsewhere.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Between my run last night and another one this morning, my inventory is completely full and I can't pull any more items from Pokestops. Unfortunately my Pokemon are still all dogshit though, so unless I come across a low-level gym doing any battling is tough going. Level 12 and I think the highest CP I have is 500 something.

One small thing I noticed and liked is that if you spin a Pokestop, hitting X will collect all the items quickly. No need to pop all the bubbles individually.

Oh also, found a Yellow gym and wanted to help fortify it. A bunch of my Pokemon were greyed out and it wouldn't let me add them, anyone know why this is? They're in my Pokemon inventory (not at another gym) and have full health.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I'm just north of Boston and there's about 4 gyms visible on the map from my apartment. During the day they switch from red/yellow and then at night around 3-4am one single blue guy goes to each one and claims it. Only to repeat the next day. It's very strange

this is me now that I've started playing before work

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Tender Bender posted:

Wait what does this mean, what's the benefits to having dupes?

We were talking about looking into the relation of Pokemon weight, height, CP, and HP. To look into this we need many Pokemon or a large data set. That's all.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Radish posted:

How do you knock off pokemon from gyms where you are the same team? I know if you beat every pokemon at a gym you can start doing it, but I'm seeing level 6-7 trainers (so probably don't have access to ridiculous stuff yet) at gyms stationing CP 100 pokemon where the leader is CP 800 pokemon so there's no way those guys are beating the entire gym.

Potions seem to be the limiting factor here since training gyms seems to require a bunch to heal up your pokemon for repeated fights. Is this right or is there some other method of healing up pokemon or training gyms to increase slots for your guys?

You can swipe to dodge attacks. This is very important. YOU CAN SWIPE TO DODGE ATTACKS. I didn't notice it earlier, but someone mentioned that when the screen flashes yellow, that's when you swipe to dodge. I tried it out and it works. If you're patient, you can just attack immediately after dodging and win the fight with no damage taken.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Is there any way to catch up to gyms who have supermobs on them? Like is it already too late to do gym stuff If you aren't already high level.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Radish posted:

It's actually not great. There's always going to be a small amount of people that go crazy with stuff like this so gyms are still locked down with absurdly high stuff but you don't get the fun of seeing pokemon everywhere. I live in a fairly dense suburb next to a major metro area that apparently wasn't big into Ingress so there's few pokestops which means very few pokemon to catch.

I don't know where you're playing but the highest pokemon I've seen at a gym has been under 1100, and unless it's a level 5+ gym a team of 400-500 CP pokemon of the right type would have no problem taking it down

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tei posted:

Most players are too young. I don't talk to them because I don't want to annoy them.

But if you are on a similar timeframe, you can try talking to them.

I was at a park catching pokes and hitting stops, and getting ready to leave. One of the covered areas had some people setting up for a party, and I saw a couple of maybe 10 year olds running around. The parents were all talking to eachother, and I asked the kids and parents if it was someone's birthday.

The birthday boy was all "YES THATS ME IM TEN OMG"

I dropped a lure on the pokestop that was their covered area, and told him I did so, and said happy birthday.

The kid looked at me like I had just started speaking in tongues, but all 10 adults whipped out their phones and said thank you.

I actually see lots of families out and about, but it's more frequently the adults who are actually playing. The kids are all running around being kids with other kids. I've talked to most of them.

No one has been weird about it.

LegalPad posted:

Is there any way to catch up to gyms who have supermobs on them? Like is it already too late to do gym stuff If you aren't already high level.

The post just previous to yours explains the best way.

Also picking the right pokemon for the job. The gym closest to my house always has a high CP pokemon guarding it. But I find the right types to fight it and I can take it out with like half the CP.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

One small thing I noticed and liked is that if you spin a Pokestop, hitting X will collect all the items quickly. No need to pop all the bubbles individually.

i'm a grown man and all i care about is being efficient in pokemons

• Locked thread