Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deodytus
Feb 13, 2012

I am loving this game so far, but I wish people would stop driving around the cemetery endlessly every night. I'm imagining that can't be particularly good for players in the long run if local authorities view us all as grave desecrating miscreants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

theflyingexecutive posted:

I love that the gyms are still beatable rn, a friend and I and another dude took down the Empire State Building yesterday

Are you around here a lot? How is your GPS?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pogo is going to make loitering causal and less suspicious

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DizzyBum posted:

Although the firemen should be using Vaporeons and not Jolteons. :colbert:

Depends, I think Flareon would be pretty appropriate.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Kevyn posted:

Any Pittsburgh goons itt? I wonder if Team Yellow is significantly more popular there than elsewhere.

Pittsburgh Goon here, it's a sea of blue with occasional red islands. I've seen one yellow gym and it lasted maybe 20 minutes.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Are you around here a lot? How is your GPS?

I'm in Brooklyn, was in for Manhattanhenge. About an hour later my app poo poo the bed and I couldn't log in

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
At my job, there are two gyms in my field of view. One is an Instinct stronghold that I have never seen held by either of the other two teams. The other is switching hands every few hours between all three teams. I put my Blastoise in to support Team Mystic, but it was gone by 10 AM.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Is the Google sign-in less flaky than the Pokemon gym one?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

ItBurns posted:

Is the Google sign-in less flaky than the Pokemon gym one?

Yes.

Also, is it just me or does it seem like the 'mons pop out of the pokeballs a lot more frequently when you miss the bonus area?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Depends, I think Flareon would be pretty appropriate.

I don't think starting fires is appropriate for any firefighter. :)

...Well, maybe for training.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DizzyBum posted:

On the other hand, Flareon is the cutest and fluffiest (at least of the Gen 1 Eeveelutions), so that should be good enough for everyone. :3:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

For those willing to pay to win:

http://www.pokewalk.com/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DizzyBum posted:

If I ever catch one, I'm naming it Montague

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Why did I pick team yellow. :psyduck:

At least I am in the middle of three Pokestops at my office that constantly have lures on them. It makes playing at home complete garbage though.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Rastor posted:

This is the lamest fuckin thing I've ever seen.

In other news, has anyone had an egg just straight up disappear instead of hatching once you hit the distance requirement? Had a 2km egg vanish from my inventory earlier once I hit the 2km mark and I didn't get anything from it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

DizzyBum posted:

Is "Fahrenheit451" too long for a pokemon name?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Rastor posted:

hahaha this is the stupidest loving thing

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Rastor posted:

I really hope this is an elaborate joke.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Germstore posted:

Is "Fahrenheit451" too long for a pokemon name?

Nope, since one of the guys currently controlling my local gym is named Pleasesuckmyass which is 2 characters longer

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Rastor posted:

Risky endeavor since the distances never track correctly. Gonna be a lot of unhappy customers!

Also risky endeavor to hand your unlocked phone and $20 to a total stranger.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

Risky endeavor since the distances never track correctly. Gonna be a lot of unhappy customers!

Also risky endeavor to hand your unlocked phone and $20 to a total stranger.

This is a real good point. "Here just let me hand you $20 and access to basically every loving thing about me!"

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Guys please give me your phones I won't do bad things with them, promise

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Frankston posted:

This is the lamest fuckin thing I've ever seen.

In other news, has anyone had an egg just straight up disappear instead of hatching once you hit the distance requirement? Had a 2km egg vanish from my inventory earlier once I hit the 2km mark and I didn't get anything from it.

My first one was a 2km and just yeah, disappeared. I got a 5km one to work last night. My 10km one is coming up today probably (if the loving game will stay connected). That one better work.

This game is buggy as loving poo poo. Almost every Pokemon I catch I have to force close and reopen the app. It's neat.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

yamdankee posted:

Yes.

Also, is it just me or does it seem like the 'mons pop out of the pokeballs a lot more frequently when you miss the bonus area?

What's the bonus area?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ddogflex posted:

My first one was a 2km and just yeah, disappeared. I got a 5km one to work last night. My 10km one is coming up today probably (if the loving game will stay connected). That one better work.

This game is buggy as loving poo poo. Almost every Pokemon I catch I have to force close and reopen the app. It's neat.
Its part of their efforts to recapture the first games.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
For an extra $5, we won't replace your background with the Michael Jackson mugshot. For $10, we won't post "im gay" on your Facebook.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So does weight actually affect the pokemon's CP? I've got two Pidgeotto I can evolve, one has a decently higher CP but is also smaller, but they show to be about the same distance along their max CP.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

"With $4 million dollars in funding from top Silicon Valley venture firms,"

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So does weight actually affect the pokemon's CP? I've got two Pidgeotto I can evolve, one has a decently higher CP but is also smaller, but they show to be about the same distance along their max CP.

I think it's entirely random and people are struggling to apply a pattern to it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fingers McLongDong posted:

As far as I can tell "XL" means your pokemon is a fatty

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So I tried my first gym battle, and got wiped out pretty quickly.

The battle system seems to consist of mashing the screen, and now my top pokes have 0 HP.

If that's the 'battling' system, I'm about to lose interest in this immediately.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Of course that is fake. Funny idea tho.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Rastor posted:

quote:

We're a group of talented engineers, and designers from San Francisco who put our heads together to create something that could have a real impact on the lives of millions. With $4 million dollars in funding from top Silicon Valley venture firms, we're ready to take on this mission.

Man, silicon valley moves fast

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Red posted:

The battle system seems to consist of mashing the screen, and now my top pokes have 0 HP.

If that's the 'battling' system, I'm about to lose interest in this immediately.

That's pretty much it, gotta get people to burn the revives and potions handed out at the pokestops.

However,

TastyLemonDrops posted:

You can swipe to dodge attacks. This is very important. YOU CAN SWIPE TO DODGE ATTACKS. I didn't notice it earlier, but someone mentioned that when the screen flashes yellow, that's when you swipe to dodge. I tried it out and it works. If you're patient, you can just attack immediately after dodging and win the fight with no damage taken.
Give it a try and see how it works out.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Making the world a better place through data-driven crowd sourced Pokemon transportation solutions.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Red posted:

You can swipe right/left to dodge if you know the other pokes attack. Around your healthbar it should show some little white bars (some only have 1, others have several) that fill up with special meter and can be used via holding the screen to do a more powerful attack (that seems to go off whether you get KO'd or not, so if you have a bar and your poke is about to die trigger it ASAP).

As far as top pokes having 0hp, that's what the ridiculous amount of supplies you pull from Pokestops are for. Get out and get collecting.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I have never played Pokemon and I don't know what the hell is going on but its pretty fun. I work in cental London and live not too far away so I have dozens of resupplies around me. 4 alone on my walk back from the train station. No idea how to fight people or what to level up, but its all good for.

Game drains battery a lot though. Is it 'bad' for the battery long term if I keep using/draining and charing? I have it open on my desk all day, plugged in with the game running. Is that going to gently caress my battery? Its a new phone, s7 edge.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

It's absolutely chucking it down outside and I have no jacket and I'm seriously about to head back outside to capture more fake creatures on my phone because my friends have more than me and I can't accept that

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

DizzyBum posted:

http://www.nvfc.org/firefighter-arson/

Rastor posted:

Unrelated: Carefully positioned myself at work today to get free balls every 5 min then after about 20 min my avatar ran over here without me moving the phone and has stayed there ever since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Red posted:

Yeah, I think changing the battle system from the actual games was a mistake, one of many missed opportunities and unforced errors.

Potions and revives are plentiful, at least, and walking and catching mons is still a tremendous hook.

• Locked thread