Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Darth Walrus posted:

Might want to rephrase that a little. It sounds like you're implying that gay men can't have empathy for women, which is pretty unsteady ground to walk on.
Oh, no, no, that's not what I mean. It's just that they don't HAVE to. So it is easier for gay men who are assholes about women to continue to hold those rear end in a top hat views, because it doesn't affect their personal lives. Not that those are a high percentage of gay men overall, but I can see why they might be overrepresented in the alt-right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Which racist shitbird did you offend to get that av?

e: He should be banned for buying it too because that's like full-blown 14 Words poo poo with "betraying your race".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Which racist shitbird did you offend to get that av?

e: He should be banned for buying it too because that's like full-blown 14 Words poo poo with "betraying your race".

I thought it was just a tasteless-but-friendly extension of his username.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
probably from this thread

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm hype for the new Iron Man character

Who we haven't yet met

So the people going SHES A CHEAP IMITSTION are just talking out their asses

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

GBS should be deleted permanently.

E: This is one of those times where I start to wish the Cathedral were real.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Jul 12, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

Oh, no, no, that's not what I mean. It's just that they don't HAVE to. So it is easier for gay men who are assholes about women to continue to hold those rear end in a top hat views, because it doesn't affect their personal lives. Not that those are a high percentage of gay men overall, but I can see why they might be overrepresented in the alt-right.

I definitely know some gay men who distrust women, disregard women's rights or outright hate women for reasons that seem to stem from them never really having to deal with women outside of like, school and work, so I kinda get where you're coming from I guess.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

GBS should be deleted permanently.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Antivehicular posted:

Will Davis Aurini get to curate the skull pile? He's spent a lifetime preparing.

Not well. He's only got the one!

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I thought SA was a haven of SJWs

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Good loving lord no.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Fututor Magnus posted:

Oh you naive fool. :allears:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I realize you're being sarcastic but Jesus Christ this website is awful if you don't stick to a handful of threads.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

I realize you're being sarcastic but Jesus Christ this website is awful if you don't stick to a handful of threads.

It's just that much of the internet's Overton window has shifted so far towards "disgusting" that we look downright moderate, like how democrats would be considered actually kinda right-leaning if not within the context of US politics.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

It's just that much of the internet's Overton window has shifted so far towards "disgusting" that we look downright moderate, like how democrats would be considered actually kinda right-leaning if not within the context of US politics.

I think the internet has actually shifted further away from "disgusting" as more normal, non-basement-troll people started using it. It's more that SA used to be part of the cluster of sites that cater to That Crowd, and then gradually the userbase matured and got less terrible as an overall group. There's still horrible goons, but the moderation has gotten better at cleaning out the worst of it, and the culture overall is a bit less supportive of it.

Of course, the people that complain about SJWs aren't likely to be found in more normal-people sites, so they seem to assume that SA's slight shift is evidence of some kind of horrifying coup, rather than just some of the population growing out of 4chan humor.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's because Something Awful's userbase tends to skew towards "old as balls"

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Fututor Magnus posted:

This thread is a safe space

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Lady Naga posted:

It's because Something Awful's userbase tends to skew towards "old as balls"

From what I've picked up, SA peaked around 2005. It's userbase was probably mostly college students, and only ten years have passed since then. Late twenties to early thirties is hardly "old as balls".

If you want old, you'll need to go to LinkedIn.

Feel free to crack jokes about the unique age/horrifying gender distributions of Hacker News!

If I had to guess which of these sites best represents SomethingAwful's age skew, I'd say Hi5 (a site I've never heard of outside these charts). No idea where we'd fall in gender distribution.

Curvature of Earth has a new favorite as of 16:02 on Jul 12, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
If you remember the 80s you're old, grandpa. gently caress you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The world slowly changes and I find myself more and more confused. Where do YouTube comments fit? For some reason I have been replying to a youtube account that objects to the concept of toxic masculinity (I know) and I'm getting the sense that it's an adult.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jack Gladney posted:

Where do YouTube comments fit?

In the trash.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I kind of feel like the various racist SA spinoffs are just going out of inertia now, because GBS is everything they ever wanted the site to be.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I kind of feel like the various racist SA spinoffs are just going out of inertia now, because GBS is everything they ever wanted the site to be.

If we could power the world on petty spite then we'd have free, clean energy forever.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Are you drunk

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Curvature of Earth posted:

From what I've picked up, SA peaked around 2005. It's userbase was probably mostly college students, and only ten years have passed since then. Late twenties to early thirties is hardly "old as balls".

If you want old, you'll need to go to LinkedIn.

Feel free to crack jokes about the unique age/horrifying gender distributions of Hacker News!

If I had to guess which of these sites best represents SomethingAwful's age skew, I'd say Hi5 (a site I've never heard of outside these charts). No idea where we'd fall in gender distribution.

I don't know why I'm so surprised how young DA skews.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Puppy Time posted:

Of course, the people that complain about SJWs aren't likely to be found in more normal-people sites, so they seem to assume that SA's slight shift is evidence of some kind of horrifying coup, rather than just some of the population growing out of 4chan humor.
I have no idea why people miss when SA was basically all-FYAD and whine about how it sucks now. But then again, I was lifting weights the other day when the Ultimate Hustler showed up and he said

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

One of them is a pathetic circle-jerk of former-GBS and some FYAD posters long since permabanned for being racist and for being the whiniest, pant-making GBS threads, manbabies. The other one seems to have given up on bringing back old FYAD and GBS and is now a bastion of the current alt-right movement, home to an army of alt-right Twitter trolls while being ludicrously racist.

Contrary to conspiracies regarding LF and about how former LFers now control the internet leftist media by getting into journalism at an opportune time and created social justice to pursue their goal of purging everyone they didn't like, the one LF off-site forum that still persists is a joke with no meaningful influence (besides scaring people like Wesley).

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Lady Naga posted:

If you remember the 80s you're old, grandpa. gently caress you.

If you don't remember the 80s don't worry you will soon. We've decided collectively that the 80s will never die. Get ready for another He-Man, Thundercats, GI Joe, etc. inside a decade. We're bringing back Ghostbusters. You think that's for kids?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

My eyes are open for the first time.

Peztopiary posted:

If you don't remember the 80s don't worry you will soon. We've decided collectively that the 80s will never die. Get ready for another He-Man, Thundercats, GI Joe, etc. inside a decade. We're bringing back Ghostbusters. You think that's for kids?

Don't forget obnoxious poo poo like goddamn Kung Fury, the movie everyone thinks low budget direct to video trash was like three decades ago when in actuality they were boring as gently caress.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lady Naga posted:

My eyes are open for the first time.

Don't forget obnoxious poo poo like goddamn Kung Fury, the movie everyone thinks low budget direct to video trash was like three decades ago when in actuality they were boring as gently caress.

Actually DTV action movies are great

Fututor Magnus posted:

One of them is a pathetic circle-jerk of former-GBS and some FYAD posters long since permabanned for being racist and for being the whiniest, pant-making GBS threads, manbabies. The other one seems to have given up on bringing back old FYAD and GBS and is now a bastion of the current alt-right movement, home to an army of alt-right Twitter trolls while being ludicrously racist.

Contrary to conspiracies regarding LF and about how former LFers now control the internet leftist media by getting into journalism at an opportune time and created social justice to pursue their goal of purging everyone they didn't like, the one LF off-site forum that still persists is a joke with no meaningful influence (besides scaring people like Wesley).

Iirc most people on SASS have never actually posted on SA

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Literally The Worst posted:

Actually DTV action movies are great

Holy gently caress no. No no no. Everyone likes to say this because "lol cheesy action!!!!" like as if every movie is a goddamn certified Alamo Drafthouse classic but so many of them are so dull.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lady Naga posted:

Holy gently caress no. No no no. Everyone likes to say this because "lol cheesy action!!!!" like as if every movie is a goddamn certified Alamo Drafthouse classic but so many of them are so dull.

As someone who truly loves bad movies you are Wrong

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

As someone who truly loves bad movies you are Wrong

Please tell me all about how The Tomb is an underrated classic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lady Naga posted:

I don't feel sorry for the Grindhouse fans who went on to watch a bunch of grindhouse movies, only to learn that most of them are heavily padded and feature long stretches of nothing happening.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't feel sorry for the Grindhouse fans who went on to watch a bunch of grindhouse movies, only to learn that most of them are heavily padded and feature long stretches of nothing happening.

The parts where things happen is fantastic

Lady Naga posted:

Please tell me all about how The Tomb is an underrated classic.

Hmm yes that's an argument I'm making

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
also the parts where nothing happens are fantastic because those are usually the parts where the creators' lack of knowing what the gently caress comes through the most

This doesn't make them good movies but they are massively enjoyable

Kung Fury is still dog poo poo

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
"A lot of direct to video movies are boring and dull"

"No!!!!!! They're all great!"

"Here's a movie that is boring and dull"

"bhrnrnhrn THAT'S NOT THE ARGUMENT I'M MAKING!"

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I wonder what Dark Enlightenment people think of The Birds.

On one hand it has lots of women being attacked by the bird masses, which it seems a lot of these people would enjoy.

On the other hand the entire movie is about rich people's fear of being driven out by the masses, a fear that they constantly think about and that they will never understand why if and when it eventually does happen. Like, the movie could be about them

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lady Naga posted:

"A lot of direct to video movies are boring and dull"

"No!!!!!! They're all great!"

"Here's a movie that is boring and dull"

"bhrnrnhrn THAT'S NOT THE ARGUMENT I'M MAKING!"

I'm sorry you're illiterate and also unable to enjoy incompetence because it's p fun to watch bad movies and if you think my argument was that they were good and not bad you're probably stupid namaste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

I'm sorry you're illiterate and also unable to enjoy incompetence because it's p fun to watch bad movies and if you think my argument was that they were good and not bad you're probably stupid namaste

What the gently caress do qualifiers like good and bad have to do with something being boring as hell lmao are you okay?