Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
did she come out swinging against tpp?

white house rn: :black101: HILLLARRRRRRRYYYY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm actually surprised she's speaking out against TPP here. I wonder if that'll make it into the stump speech. It'll be hard to claw back.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

No Butt Stuff posted:

That was the most human smile I've seen from her. Ever.

She's really on point when she's tearing into the don.

She's a carnivore for sure.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Did she just say free college?

e: holy poo poo.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Meanwhile, we are going to seriously consider trump's plan to deport all Muslims

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

No Butt Stuff posted:

she has a tuition-free state schools plan, not covering some other costs of college, but yes

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Joementum posted:

I'm actually surprised she's speaking out against TPP here. I wonder if that'll make it into the stump speech. It'll be hard to claw back.

There is no way it gets passed if it doesn't get passed in the lame duck.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

No Butt Stuff posted:

she's been on the free college band wagon for months. the difference between her and bernie was how to pay for it and who was eligible (she didn't want to make it eligible for 'donald trump's kids' )

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

There is no way it gets passed if it doesn't get passed in the lame duck.

Yes, but because Obama is pushing for it, it has long been assumed that Hillary would just avoid talking about it as much as humanly possible.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Man she is really moving to the left in this speech

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I guess if you've never paid attention to her positions before this it might seem this way.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

This is where she's been for months.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

No Butt Stuff posted:

It's why I'm so hype for the debates.

Hillary is goddamn vicious when she can just attack. Relating to people and making them feel emotions and poo poo not so much.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

she's been on the free college band wagon for months. the difference between her and bernie was how to pay for it and who was eligible (she didn't want to make it eligible for 'donald trump's kids' )

I thought she was way more ambiguous than this.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

I thought she was way more ambiguous than this.

Nope, it was pretty much the plan she laid out last-week-ish. It got lost in the liberal slapfight.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

zoux posted:

I guess if you've never paid attention to her positions before this it might seem this way.

but the internet told me she's literally Bush

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

This event sounds cool and good and I'm glad the Bern man completed his mission :unsmith:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

No Butt Stuff posted:

Hillary tears into Republican shitbags like a fish takes to water.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Dexo posted:

It's why I'm so hype for the debates.

Hillary is goddamn vicious when she can just attack. Relating to people and making them feel emotions and poo poo not so much.

Well I mean, emotions other than despair and fear for their political ambitions at least.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

This dude gets calls from telemarketers and scammers all day long and still hasn't figured out how to screen calls. He tries threats and verbal abuse but the calls keep coming. Then, one day, a legitimate organization calls that he can actually contact and talk to someone. Out comes the rage. I've had a lot of experience with the phenomena.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Nope, it was pretty much the plan she laid out last-week-ish. It got lost in the liberal slapfight.

Right, but that was just last week. If you look back at her college plans from a couple months ago it was expanded Pell grants, not free tuition. She has moved left on quite a few issues, that one included.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Clinton's college plan was never explicit about family contributions until recently, but was more explicit about where the money would come from. Basically the opposite of Sanders' plan, where his promises were clear but the mechanism was not.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joementum posted:

Right, but that was just last week. If you look back at her college plans from a couple months ago it was expanded Pell grants, not free tuition. She has moved left on quite a few issues, that one included.

She literally proposed essentially free college in the primary, this isn't something new.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey, it was awesome seeing the Republican platform stuff. When do the Democrats do theirs?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

She literally proposed essentially free college in the primary, this isn't something new.

Her policy was need-based grants to cover gaps, coupled with a work requirement. Free in-state tuition is new.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joementum posted:

Her policy was need-based grants to cover gaps, coupled with a work requirement. Free in-state tuition is new.

It's a new detail, but the intent has always been pretty clear.

Here from as early as August 2015: http://www.vox.com/2015/8/10/9125349/hillary-clinton-college

To me it's a semantic difference and a sort of natural policy evolution that comes from actually having a debate. Not some kind of, as implied, cynical swing left.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 12, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Doctor Butts posted:

Hey, it was awesome seeing the Republican platform stuff. When do the Democrats do theirs?
Didn't they already? Taking marijuana off Schedule 1 passed 81-80, I remember it was contentious.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's almost like Bernie was a safe way for Hillary to shift left during the primary while retaining plausible deniability if questioned by the old DLC party apparatus from Bill's era. "Hillary, what are you doing? WE NEED THOSE LOAN PAYMENTS FROM GRADUATES!"

"Sorry Jamie, would you rather Bernie win? He sure won't be losing to Donald Trump :smug:"

*Pushes free college and SPUHC anyway because what can JPMC do, revoke her presidency?*

E: I need to remember to dig into the details of her college plan. It's cool to see the effort, but maybe there's similar support for vocational blue collar stuff like carpenters and plumbers and welders and mechanics. If you're a single parent you may not have time for an associate's let alone a bachelor's at an actual school, but getting technical training can help a heck of a lot. Childcare support for parents who attend higher ed/voc ed classes would probably help a heck of a lot.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 12, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's a detail that puts her current policy to the left of her old policy. I don't really get why there's so much reluctance to admit that her policies in many areas shifted to the left as a result of the primary.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joementum posted:

It's a detail that puts her current policy to the left of her old policy. I don't really get why there's so much reluctance to admit that her policies in many areas shifted to the left as a result of the primary.

Because the immediate response from people is that SHE'S JUST DOING IT TO WIN VOTES AND DOESN'T BELIEVE IT, which is totally unfair.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The intent hasn't been at all clear unless you fill in the blanks with your own biases. Her position was that families need to make a "realistic contribution" to college costs, and current estimates of what families can "realistically" contribute are thoroughly unrealistic. She said "I believe we should focus on middle-class families, working families and poor kids who have the ambition and the talent to go to college and get ahead," which are a malleable definition of wealth. Putting an actual income number on it is a massive difference in how people perceive your policy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is where she's been for months.

At this point I'm willing to accept people coming to the wrong conclusions if it gets everyone under the same loving tent because the prospect of a Donald Trump presidency is literally keeping me up at night

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

We're all winners here. It's okay to admit that bernie did a thing. YCS won't take away your posting credentials

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I hope Bernie gets some good vacation time with Jane and the kids!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Because the immediate response from people is that SHE'S JUST DOING IT TO WIN VOTES AND DOESN'T BELIEVE IT, which is totally unfair.

I think the opposition to TPP is questionable, but on the rest of this stuff I don't think it's been a cynical shift. It's what we want to happen in primary elections! A challenger demonstrates there's a lot of support for certain policy ideas and the other politicians adapt their plans to those new policies in a way they think will work.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The intent hasn't been at all clear unless you fill in the blanks with your own biases. Her position was that families need to make a "realistic contribution" to college costs, and current estimates of what families can "realistically" contribute are thoroughly unrealistic. She said "I believe we should focus on middle-class families, working families and poor kids who have the ambition and the talent to go to college and get ahead," which are a malleable definition of wealth. Putting an actual income number on it is a massive difference in how people perceive your policy.

I suppose because I didn't start with a view of her as some cryptofascist conservative,

Business Gorillas posted:

We're all winners here. It's okay to admit that bernie did a thing. YCS won't take away your posting credentials

I've never said that Bernie didn't shift the debate to the left. I am incredulous at the idea that it's some big radical shift and not a policy nuance.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

emdash posted:

she has a tuition-free state schools plan, not covering some other costs of college, but yes

Er, that was Bernie's plan, to just have free tuition and not touch the other stuff. The plans Hillary was putting out were to drastically cut the combined total of tuition and all the other fees and costs you have to pay (lab fees, facilities fees, books, and so on), which is a lot more relevant given the heights the attached fees and costs have risen to for many public colleges and universities, where in some states they flat out are more money than the tuition.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

a policy nuance.

Ah I see you've identified the major difference between Hillary and Bernie.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/752903744170360832

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
It would be nice to see some of the media people who melted down about Sanders never endorsing Clinton show some accountability and eat poo poo.

• Locked thread