Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Toshimo posted:

You shouldn't ever need to craft or buy gear pretty much ever. You can roll everything in greens which are super common drops. I know back in the day before everything got consolidated in bullion, we'd go straight from QL3 greens into QL5 blue weapons (weapons are about 10x as important as talismans) at a vendor in Blue Mountain. I think you can just sort of keep up with green drops and mission rewards, though.

For those just starting, here's the spots you want to hit early to keep your gear up from QL1-QL3:

Definitely this. Get your blue weapons from the wabanaki trailer park with Solomon Island fun tokens or whatever the gently caress they are. They'll carry you through SI easy and you can get them well before you're ready for Blue Mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

Definitely this. Get your blue weapons from the wabanaki trailer park with Solomon Island fun tokens or whatever the gently caress they are. They'll carry you through SI easy and you can get them well before you're ready for Blue Mountain.
I'd say don't do this, they changed everything to bullion now so you'd be better off saving it up for end-game stuff rather than dropping loads on weapons you're only going to use for a week.

Also, they give you a ql10 custom weapon for finishing the story up to and including transylvania now and if you see ql10.1 custom talismans on vendors in any of the zones, be aware that you get one of each of those for free for finishing the associated issues. So don't rush out and buy two weapons and a full set of talismans with bullion the second you hit ql10. :v:

Unrelatedly, how many of you new guys got 1200 funcom points for finishing 30 missions? My mate got his a few weeks back but my missus has just started playing and didn't get any. Funcom being Funcom, I can't find a definitive answer on whether you're still meant to get them or not - it seems like some people do and some don't.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Is there a place that consolidates all this helpful advice

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight
Can someone toss me a referral key?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

K posted:

Can someone toss me a referral key?
No. They don't do then anymore, go to buy.thesecretworld.com and there should be a trial sign up option.

You get ten days now instead of three though.

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight

Pilchenstein posted:

No. They don't do then anymore, go to buy.thesecretworld.com and there should be a trial sign up option.

You get ten days now instead of three though.

I did that, but when I try to login to the game client it says my login information is incorrect (even though I can login to my account screen on the website).

Also, when I go to my account details, it says I created my account and then canceled my account on the same date and time. Which is why I thought I needed a referral code. All very strange.

Nevermind, it decided to start working.

K fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 3, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

K posted:

I did that, but when I try to login to the game client it says my login information is incorrect (even though I can login to my account screen on the website).

Also, when I go to my account details, it says I created my account and then canceled my account on the same date and time. Which is why I thought I needed a referral code. All very strange.

Nevermind, it decided to start working.
I've seen a few people complaining that the in-game store is dead today, I think they're having web issues. Though I should warn you that "It kinda works" is pretty much this game's motto. :v:

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
I started the trial and it's my first time ever playing. The gameplay so far isn't anything too write home about but god drat is the atmosphere incredible. I do however feel like I am floundering a bit on what abilities too actively use. I did both starting deals for the shotgun and am in the outer rung for that and I am working pistols as well. For my skill points I am up to like 3 shotgun and pistols then 2 each in head, minor and major talismans. Not sure if I should just straight focus a weapon there or keep my talismans kind of up to date.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Shadokin posted:

I started the trial and it's my first time ever playing. The gameplay so far isn't anything too write home about but god drat is the atmosphere incredible. I do however feel like I am floundering a bit on what abilities too actively use. I did both starting deals for the shotgun and am in the outer rung for that and I am working pistols as well. For my skill points I am up to like 3 shotgun and pistols then 2 each in head, minor and major talismans. Not sure if I should just straight focus a weapon there or keep my talismans kind of up to date.
There aren't really any wrong choices ability wise, since you'll unlock everything eventually and just about anything works for soloing. For skills, I'd say put points in as and when you need them to equip something, though if you end up with a glut, spread them evenly between the three talismans and your two weapons.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
For skills, you want to invest in two weapons and all three talisman skills. And for weapons, pick one thing and invest in that instead of both. For soloing usually you'll want damage in both weapons rather than support, healing or survivability.

For abilities, it really doesn't matter all that much. As long as you have one that builds resources for both weapons, and one that consumes resources for each weapon, you're good. Fill the other four slots with whatever other powers look cool at the time or whatever you find you need. Self heals are always good as well. For passives, try to pick one thing and focus on it. Whether that's crits or penetrates or afflicts or weaken or whatever, if you have three or four passives triggering every time you hit a button it adds up.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

General Maximus posted:

As long as you have one that builds resources for both weapons...

Other than healing builds, are there any good builds that don't require a resource builder for both weapons? I guess there are some assault rifle builds that work and maybe claws, but I think those are leech/healing as well. I wonder why they haven't just pulled the trigger on changing it so all resource builders build for both weapons. It really makes a lot of nice builders basically useless. I always looked for some unicorn build, but it always seemed like I was just trying to plug holes and added stuff because I had a free slot, not because it worked with the build.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 4, 2016

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TracerM17 posted:

Other than healing builds, are there any good builds that don't require a resource builder for both weapons? I guess there are some assault rifle builds that work and maybe claws, but I think those are leech/healing as well. I wonder why they haven't just pulled the trigger on changing it so all resource builders build for both weapons. It really makes a lot of nice builders basically useless. I always looked for some unicorn build, but it always seemed like I was just trying to plug holes and added stuff because I had a free slot, not because it worked with the build.

The only builders that don't build for both weapons are the healing builders in AR/Claws/Blood and that's by design to limit healing throughput.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pilchenstein posted:

Unrelatedly, how many of you new guys got 1200 funcom points for finishing 30 missions? My mate got his a few weeks back but my missus has just started playing and didn't get any. Funcom being Funcom, I can't find a definitive answer on whether you're still meant to get them or not - it seems like some people do and some don't.

I definitely havent :(

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Apparently one of the pieces of lore they added with the museum is gained by assembling an item out of drops from the regional bosses and only the person who uses the item gets it. I am incredibly loving salty about this. :smith:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I've been doing quests in Kingsport, just clearing anything I find, and the story quest has taken me out to the airport. I've got the objective to hit the Savage Coast but I'm running into a problem where I'm not really getting any stronger, but the enemies are, by like a LOT. I've filled out both the inner shotgun and Elemental wedges, but none of the outer edge sectors look either terribly appealing or actually any stronger. Any advice?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Pope Guilty posted:

I've been doing quests in Kingsport, just clearing anything I find, and the story quest has taken me out to the airport. I've got the objective to hit the Savage Coast but I'm running into a problem where I'm not really getting any stronger, but the enemies are, by like a LOT. I've filled out both the inner shotgun and Elemental wedges, but none of the outer edge sectors look either terribly appealing or actually any stronger. Any advice?

If you mean the enemies near the Airport, those are nightmare-level creatures designed for near-endgame players.

If you mean creatures in the SC, pump up your weapon skills (one stream for each weapon) and get better gear?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

If you mean the enemies near the Airport, those are nightmare-level creatures designed for near-endgame players.

If you mean creatures in the SC, pump up your weapon skills (one stream for each weapon) and get better gear?

Yeah, the stuff at the airport just wrecks my poo poo. I don't know why there's endgame stuff surrounding low-level quest objectives.

I haven't been to the SC yet, was thinking that the stuff I was seeing at the location I'm currently at represented the current state of things and that I'd be too underpowered to keep going.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
There is an appropriately-levelled area around the quest part of the airport, but if you wander away from that a little you'll hit a wall of pain

There's endgame stuff there because they decided to put endgame farming areas (back when nightmare farming was a thing worth doing) in every zone, and also because there are some later quests that bring you nearby to familiar areas (and they needed to have a challenge there).

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
So, how is this game doing?

I played it a few times in the past, but it kinda felt empty. I think I was in the goon guild but hardly anyone was online. The story was great too, so ill probally install it again and play it for a bit. I loved that Chuthulu area, the Spooky Motel and of course the haunted themepark. I am a sucker for this kind of horror, but I am too much of a pussy for the proper scary games.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
How often does this go on sale? I was wanting to buy the complete edition for 24 dollars but it looks like I missed out on that, it's 70 dollars now. I really enjoyed the game but not 70 dollars enjoyed up front. I basically intend to play it when I'm either bored of other stuff or just want a change of pace for the night. Really like being able to pick it up, do a mission or two and log off and not feel like I am wasting the money I paid for the subscription.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I can't say how often it goes on sale but I can say as far as a pick up and play at random mmos go the only thing that beats TSW was City of Heroes. 70 is a bit too much for this game but drat for 40 or less this is one of the best if not the best single player story based horror games on the market.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, the stuff at the airport just wrecks my poo poo. I don't know why there's endgame stuff surrounding low-level quest objectives.

I haven't been to the SC yet, was thinking that the stuff I was seeing at the location I'm currently at represented the current state of things and that I'd be too underpowered to keep going.

If you really are struggling you can sort of "cheat" progression a bit. Run into a tribal camp in the final area and buy the best weapon they have.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Shadokin posted:

How often does this go on sale? I was wanting to buy the complete edition for 24 dollars but it looks like I missed out on that, it's 70 dollars now. I really enjoyed the game but not 70 dollars enjoyed up front. I basically intend to play it when I'm either bored of other stuff or just want a change of pace for the night. Really like being able to pick it up, do a mission or two and log off and not feel like I am wasting the money I paid for the subscription.
It goes on sale quite often as far as I've noticed.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Sekenr posted:

If you really are struggling you can sort of "cheat" progression a bit. Run into a tribal camp in the final area and buy the best weapon they have.

There's no reason to do this anymore since you can just tough it out a bit longer and get a purple end game weapon right away.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I haven't played this game in ages and I think I might finally get around to doing so. What addons should I make sure I grab off of curse, and what's a good build updated since the rebalance a while back (preferably blade/fist since that's what I'm currently using apparently but if there are better/more fun ones please do tell)

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

So I am just getting flattened by everything in Tokyo. I'm using an AR + Blood build, was working fine through every zone and quest up until now, but for some reason now I'm just getting my rear end kicked.

Does anyone know a good build for chewing through this Aegis crap? It feels like I'm throwing pebbles at these things when I use my AR now, and the Blood self-bleed effect just means that I die even faster - making most of my Blood stuff feel useless.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
For aegis stuff, make sure to do the mission from the guy in the tank that gives a second set of controllers so you can equip all three varieties on both weapons. That helps more than you'd think. If you have pax to spare, see if you can buy some low quality aegis capacitors off the auction house, even the QL0 ones are a pretty significant buff. If not, rush through the issue 9 story missions before doing anything else in Tokyo because you'll get a full set of capacitors by doing those. If you have a friend who's gotten that far, running in a group also helps immensely.

But yeah, unfortunately Tokyo and the aegis system are kind of badly designed. As for builds, you'll need a little more aoe usually than you need in other zones I think. And a little more survivability - equip a couple of health talismans if you haven't already. And if you have the older issues, run issues 6 and 7 for the free 10.1 purples if you haven't already. A stun or movement ability to negate or avoid the telegraphed aoes literally everything in Tokyo has helps immensely too.

Also, don't forget everything gives black bullion now. Going and running some scenarios, pvp or missions in other zones and then buying some upgrades might not be a bad plan either, especially if you're still in green gear. For Tokyo you probably want QL10 blues minimum, and purples would be better. Glyphs too, they make more of a difference than some people think.

Edit: Also, to both you and the guy asking about mods further up, get an aegis auto-switch mod. Makes Tokyo in general so much less of a chore to play when you can just ignore the shields cause the mod's taking care of the annoying busywork for you. This is the one I use, which also modifies the UI for aegis stuff. If that's not your thing there's mods out there that just do the auto-switch.

General Maximus fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 13, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
What he said, with the addition of "level your aegis speed skill first". Auto-swapping is great but it's even greater once they time taken to swap controllers is down to like, 0.5 seconds.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

So I am just getting flattened by everything in Tokyo.

Get the other set of disruptors if you can, but be aware the mission to do it is hard. I tried to do it not long after entering Tokyo with the enlisted help from someone in #sanctuary and we still couldn't get past it. I eventually came back with my first set of disruptors highly upgraded, a bunch of nightmare raid gear, and a much better build in general and still only barely got through it.

What I would suggest: This blade/blood build I made, focusing on impairs. It exclusively uses blade for damage so you only need the one set, blood is just healing and the extra impair. Impairs work really, really well when soloing through Tokyo. Basically, you leap in with Spiral of Death, smack whichever of your 3 impairs is up, then hit Balanced Blade over and over until you can't anymore; Grass Cutter to build a resource, slap another impair, repeat. Scarlet Arts as availability warrants. Optionally replace Concussion with Tipped Scales for healing if you want, since that extra damage isn't much.

If you don't have any skill points or abilities in Blade yet, now's the time to start spreading out anyway. You could always go back and finish out all those missions in Transylvania and Egypt.

There are also a set of repeatable side missions in Kaidan that are relatively easy to do, and each one drops one of those biohazard containers. Running that loop daily doesn't take very long and will get your disruptors up to speed pretty quickly, BB permitting. Starting from the anima well on the far east side by the tracks, here's how I generally do them, going by the landmark name on the map as I can't be arsed to get the actual mission names:

Gnawed Cadaver, Crumpled instructions; just head north to the door and kill the monster for one, then a little southeast to collect the three doohickeys and jump back to Susanoo's diner.
Back to CDC camp, go up, cross the bridge south, grab Orochi Orders. Head back north and west along the tracks and get images.
Warp back to CDC camp again and grab Cache 1, down to Shinto Shrine and east for Cache 2. (when you find these things mark them on your map for the future)
North from there hit the Oni Corpse, then head east to kill the easy demons to clear that quickly.
Warp to the wall and head south, cache 3 is tucked behind the crashed oil truck to the right of the Walker.
Turn right, head around the crates and up to grab those Orochi orders. Head back to where the cache was to kill the Walker, then run around killing spore-riddens and fruiting bodies to finish that and the demon part of the first orders.
Back to CDC camp, run along the tracks to the disabled Orochi cyborg. North up the ramp to the damaged cyborg arm. West to the rogue mech, killing the needed buckler & sky drones along the way, then the rogue to finish both out. Continue west a bit and grab the tagging rifle, don't forget to actually pick up the rifle after grabbing the mission.
Back to Shinto Shrine, head north and grab the Scanner. Continue a bit north then east down the street, transmitter 1 is just down the road. Continue east and grab damaged orochi drone (you'll need to have cleared the first orochi orders by now; the psychic guys here are all that's left). Turn south and the first executive is a corpse right down the street.
Warp back to Shinto Shrine and head north across the bridge again. Activate the scanner again, next transmitter is in the graveyard but you can actually get it by just running up against the graveyard's south wall.
A little ways east from here is the next executive, knock on the door and kill the two orochi that appear, then the ghost that answers.
Back west and north up the street, just run past the mobs, follow the road east into Jung's playground. if anything chases you just run to the far side of the playground.
The last exec is a monster up some stairs visible to the west of the playground. The last transmitter can be checked off the same way the second was; run to the end of an allyway east of the playground, the transmitter is behind a fence but you can access it from this side.
And finally back to the playground to tag birds with the rifle as they fly by. Sometimes takes patience.

This whole run is quick to do and gives you a nice pile of biohazard containers for levelling your disruptors. Do this a few times and you'll level them so quick you'll be much more limited by the BB cost of upgrade tools than the disruptor's pseudo-XP.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 15, 2016

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
In Tokyo, I re-ran the tank guy's missions as often as possible between going back to earlier zones to repeat missions in order to get the skill points to level my aegis skills. I forgot the name of those missions you get from the guy at the tank, but the basic one gets you the extra capacitors and goes a long way to leveling the aegis stuff. Plus the missions are designed so you don't even really need good aegis gear to break the mobs shields, but if you can then it just helps more.

Also, as I think is suggested often, make sure you have the highest run speed. Mob agro is worse than any zone I think. Trying to get from mission to mission without having to kill every mob in a zone becomes difficult if you can't run past them. I don't have too many problems with any of the mobs anymore, but if I get hooked and pulled back a million miles into a pack of angry filth creatures that were trying to catch me then I'm probably going to die.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Got a friend hooked on this, anybody got a good early game shotgun/ele build? preferably one that can be expanded into late game.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
I'm all QL10 now (mostly blues, a few greens). Should I go for full blues in Elite dungeons or start spending Black Bullion on Epic items at the Templar HQ? Do those ones upgrade all the way from 10, 10.1, . . 10.6?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Dracneir posted:

I'm all QL10 now (mostly blues, a few greens). Should I go for full blues in Elite dungeons or start spending Black Bullion on Epic items at the Templar HQ? Do those ones upgrade all the way from 10, 10.1, . . 10.6?
If you've got all the issues, do those to get 10.1 epics that can be upgraded. If not, then 10.0s are your best bet. Either one can be upgraded all the way to 10.9 with bullion/marks of the pantheon and to 11 with an item that I assume drops in nightmare raids.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
I do have all the Issues. I'll start reading up on which ones to do, thanks.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Dracneir posted:

I do have all the Issues. I'll start reading up on which ones to do, thanks.

All of them except 8.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Morglon posted:

All of them except 8.
You can complete 8 without doing a scenario nowadays.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Issue 8 isn't the plot mission that sends you to scenarios, that's available for everyone. Issue 8 just gives you two more scenarios instead of just the hotel one. If you don't want to do scenarios there's literally no reason to own it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah but he said he owns all of them already and just wondered which ones to do.

My point is when you get to the "now do some scenarios" part of the story, you can (and should) pay a single bullion to skip them. :v:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Fun fact: There isn't a single person who does TSW youtubes on any subject, from build pointers to pontificating on lore that has even a passable radio voice. Ironic, considering the game's amazing voice acting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
So I bought this for my girlfriend and rolled an alt to play through with her and holy poo poo it's one of the most miserable experiences ever - she's the definition of a casual player, clicks on her abilities, can't get the hang of dodging, doesn't have quick reflexes and the game loving hates her for it. Sabotage missions go from annoying bullshit to absolutely soul-destroying if you're not great at persevering with lovely platforming/bullshit stealth and since almost all of them are solo instances the only way I can help is by kicking her off her pc and playing them myself.

The game seems to be doing reasonably well for itself these days and I just wonder how much better they'd be doing if they'd go back and sort out some of the bullshit.

• Locked thread