Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Vermain posted:

Very interesting D.Va change. I wonder if they're trying to push her more in Reinhardt's direction.

Doesn't sound like it, as that would involve being able to keep defense matrix up for a much longer time. It's probably going to have a similar ratio of active time to cooldown time, just that you get to choose to use it in bursts, like Pharah's jump jets. Like you're going to be fast toggling it on and off all the time as a twitch response to incoming damage. I don't like that they're apparently not doing anything about her giant FREE KILL crit box, but at least this allows you to be a bit more proactive in your defense. Have to see how it plays out to really make a judgement, but I'm assuming any changes have been playtested to death internally, so hopefully it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

ImpAtom posted:

Stuns and character control are actually good in a team game.

Not sure how I feel about sniper-healin' tho'. Seems waaaaaay too fidgety for what it is.

How many games are stun heavy or even have stun? I know lots of similar games with disorients, flashes, slows etc. but generally in twitch games people don't like to be completely unable to respond. Even Mei's abilities right now allow you to shoot until you're frozen.

Verranicus posted:

The game has been quite clearly set up to have more characters added, the world has a story (however good or bad it may be) to draw on from for new ideas. The game may not be a MOBA but you can see Blizz is trying to bring some of the people over from them with the presentation of this game and new characters is important to that.

That's two different issues. Being good requiring new heroes or having more heroes because they want the game to be 10-20% moba

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Skins my dude, also you're entirely wrong about "game would suck if it was the same characters forever." Counterstrike hasn't had a new dude ever. Team Fortress is heavily played and no new dudes. You don't need a DoTA model of games to be good.

TF2's equipment kits are diverse enough that you can essentially call them new characters. Sword and Board Demo, for example, didn't exist when the game started.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Overwatch is a good game, better than most games.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Stuns and character control are actually good in a team game.

Not sure how I feel about sniper-healin' tho'. Seems waaaaaay too fidgety for what it is.

I think it's badass, and the character design is also great. I doubt she'll replace Mercy/Lucio by any stretch of the imagination, but I can easily see her being the second support, given how versatile and straight up useful her kit is. The anti-heal grenade alone is reason enough to take her along.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Efexeye posted:

TF2's equipment kits are diverse enough that you can essentially call them new characters. Sword and Board Demo, for example, didn't exist when the game started.

Right so it's unnecessary to add new heroes because you can tweak existing heroes or allow people to select between abilities or weapons.

Is this good game design or a money grab for people to buy skins? That's my question, and since it's Blizzard

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

If it stops rez from working it would solve the entire problem people have with Mercy's ult being overpowered.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Efexeye posted:

Couldn't you just give Mercy the Heal Sniper then? and Zenyatta the stun grenade?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm glad that Ana Amari isn't Sombra because I loving TOLD PEOPLE SO. But I'm surprised as hell that she's a character. I don't know why Blizz would record lines with Pharah talking about her dead/disappeared mom only to have her show up two months later.

Ana has the same model as the Sombra art we saw dude. They just removed the mask to make it clear that she's an old lady.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Homework Explainer posted:

dot damage and sniping is extremely my poo poo, add in healing and i'm totally sold. i wrecked shop with a poison sniper agent in swtor so it'll be good to relive those days

Oh for sure. Some of you people DO exist I just dunno that a support sniper is going to change the minds of any hanzo / widow slampickers nor MANY lucio / mercy mains. The 'supports are bad at aiming' idea is a silly stereotype a lot of the time but I know I specifically avoid playing snipers at all because I never feel like I'm doing anything useful with 'em.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Can't wait for another hero that doesn't compete in damage done, healing done or objective time

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Right so it's unnecessary to add new heroes because you can tweak existing heroes or allow people to select between abilities or weapons.

Is this good game design or a money grab for people to buy skins? That's my question, and since it's Blizzard

Giving old heroes alternate weapons/abilities is much worse than making new heroes. Now you always know what a hero is capable of.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Efexeye posted:

Yeah if anything I'd prefer the OW model of making different characters instead of keeping the same lineup with different guns changing the playstyle. TF2 long ago lost its original design of each class having a distinct silhouette (lol hats) so you can tell instantly what you're up against. Once they started adding alternate weapon kits, that really went out the window. I'd much prefer a Mercy to always be a Mercy and a Widow to always be a Widow and when they add sniper heals they add an entirely new class instead of giving an existing class a healing crossbow a la TF2.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They already mentioned that they want dva to be a harasser and that they are probably going to tune her speed rather than damage. I think her damage is fine, problem is that it drops off too fast and if the enemy is in a corner they can just run away and you wont catch them while firing. So either decrease the drop off, increase movement speed while firing, or have a more reliable method of locking people down.

Also unrealistic but I wish her E functioned like reins shield. Blocks ranged damage but isn't on a cooldown, instead you have like a focus gauge that is consumed while holding E drops off entirely when it runs out. Recovers as long as you arent using it.

drat they took my idea for d.vas shield. Hey blizzard I'll take a few chest as comp its alright.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Being able to switch off D.Va's defense matrix is quite a bump in power levels. The only problem I've ever had with her is it's always hard to know when is the best time to throw that out there, aside from when Pharah ults or whatever. Kewl.

Limiting one hero to a team on comp is a good idea, but without the sudden death it doesn't matter as much because that's when the 6 of something really can gently caress you over. I'll still take it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Are they going to have teams pick in order or is it literally just a rush to lock in first because lol yeah that'll go over great

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Keep in mind that general purpose healing as the support sniper is likely going to be a lot easier in terms of straight-up throughput than trying to bop people with Widowmaker. Your teammates, especially behind cover, are going to move in far more predictable ways, and you have near-perfect information about where they are at all times. Being able to heal them while they're engaged in a battle halfway across the map is going to be the real test of skill.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are they going to have teams pick in order or is it literally just a rush to lock in first because lol yeah that'll go over great

I feel like I'm watching the development of League of Legends' ranked mode in slow motion all over again.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I think it's bad game design if I can recognize a character silhouette but not know what abilities he has equipped because his equipment is different than the standard loadout.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Did they say anything about stopwatch because that would be a nice addition.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Andrast posted:

Giving old heroes alternate weapons/abilities is much worse than making new heroes. Now you always know what a hero is capable of.

Someonee mentioned that you could add a 'right click' ability to Mercy's gun to heal from range to a small degree, or you can add a stun to Zenyata's kit while maybe toning down his discord orb. I'll see how this plays out but it seems like it's going in the "wacky situations" realm that blizzard loves rather than balance and skill

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's one of each hero per team, not per match, right?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Ana's hero page is up for the US region https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/ana/

quote:

SUPPORT / DIFFICULTY: THREE STARS

Ana’s versatile arsenal allows her to affect heroes all over the battlefield. Her Biotic Rifle rounds and Biotic Grenades heal allies and damage or impair enemies; her sidearm tranquilizes key targets, and Nano Boost gives one of her comrades a considerable increase in power.
ABILITIES

BIOTIC RIFLE
Ana’s rifle shoots darts that can restore health to her allies or deal ongoing damage to her enemies. She can use the rifle’s scope to zoom in on targets and make highly accurate shots.

SLEEP DART
Ana fires a dart from her sidearm, rendering an enemy unconscious (though any damage will rouse them).

BIOTIC GRENADE
Ana tosses a biotic bomb that deals damage to enemies and heals allies in a small area of effect. Affected allies briefly receive increased healing from all sources, while enemies caught in the blast cannot be healed for a few moments.

NANO BOOST
After Ana hits one of her allies with a combat boost, they temporarily move faster, deal more damage, and take less damage from enemies’ attacks.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Efexeye posted:

Right, but you're still going to get people hooting and hollering because someone else picked Genji before they could.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Efexeye posted:

I can't imagine any reason they'd do the latter, especially with only 21 heroes and only 3 real supports. (Well, 4 with Ana, but you know what I mean.)

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

Oh for sure. Some of you people DO exist I just dunno that a support sniper is going to change the minds of any hanzo / widow slampickers nor MANY lucio / mercy mains. The 'supports are bad at aiming' idea is a silly stereotype a lot of the time but I know I specifically avoid playing snipers at all because I never feel like I'm doing anything useful with 'em.

I'm support and I'm bad at aiming :( That's why I play lucio.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Also there's going to be a PTR up later today with Ana playable and any other changes they're currently making also out there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How many games are stun heavy or even have stun? I know lots of similar games with disorients, flashes, slows etc. but generally in twitch games people don't like to be completely unable to respond. Even Mei's abilities right now allow you to shoot until you're frozen.

People also don't like being shot in the head. "People don't like it" doesn't make it bad. Overwatch isn't a 'twitch shooter.' It's a team game with am emphasis on abilities that allow negation and control of other characters.

I get that you want this to be a game where the only determination of who wins is who has the better twitch skills but that's never been the intent or design of the game and it won't ever be. Blizzard is clear that character swapping to match and overcome enemy strengths is an intent of the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Someonee mentioned that you could add a 'right click' ability to Mercy's gun to heal from range to a small degree, or you can add a stun to Zenyata's kit while maybe toning down his discord orb. I'll see how this plays out but it seems like it's going in the "wacky situations" realm that blizzard loves rather than balance and skill

Or they could just keep existing heroes as they are and not do any of that stupid stuff. Variable abilities on heroes isn't a good thing.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i think ranks should be reset with these new changes, and no, this has nothing to do with dropping from 46 to 28 :)

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

People also don't like being shot in the head. "People don't like it" doesn't make it bad.

That's just completely wrong. People love to do more damage through headshot

Andrast posted:

Or they could just keep existing heroes as they are and not do any of that stupid stuff.

That's my preference, don't change anything, but people expect the LoL model for this game despite not being a MOBA

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
The nano boost clip on the overwatch site showed reinhardt killing zenyatta, tracer, genji, and symmetra in one hit.. i wonder if that will be accurate

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

flatluigi posted:

Also there's going to be a PTR up later today with Ana playable and any other changes they're currently making also out there.

Yeah, I'm already downloading the client. Excited to check her out.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Efexeye posted:

i think ranks should be reset with these new changes, and no, this has nothing to do with dropping from 46 to 28 :)

holy poo poo dude

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's just completely wrong. People love to do more damage through headshots

Wait, your argument is that "people don't like to control and stun enemies?" because that's hilariously wrong.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you're not seeking out your counterpart and dropping everything to kill them you are having fun wrong. With Pharah, this is why you are required to bind "Shot Down."

This is true. When I see an enemy Mercy, I have to kill her. Preferably with a melee finishing blow so I can witness her death as close as possible.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

RisqueBarber posted:

holy poo poo dude

100% exclusively solo queue. i hate myself, obviously

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Still no movement ability noted on her page. Kinda funny that her preview video shows her sniping from a perch she literally can't get to.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

whalestory posted:

The nano boost clip on the overwatch site showed reinhardt killing zenyatta, tracer, genji, and symmetra in one hit.. i wonder if that will be accurate

A history of character videos for Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm would give the impression it's purely for demonstration purposes.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

The new title is appropriate and i appreciate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

whalestory posted:

I doubt it'll be that extreme (it'd have to increase someone's damage by a little less than 300% for Reinhardt to one-hit kill them), but it'll be a nonetheless powerful ability for strong fraggers like Reaper.

NmareBfly posted:

Still no movement ability noted on her page. Kinda funny that her preview video shows her sniping from a perch she literally can't get to.

It's understandable that she doesn't have one. Imagine all of the usual Widowmaker perches, except there's a loving healer up there rapidly bringing everyone on the enemy team back to full.