Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
"We signed Kikis because he has experience being replaced by Koreans."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If they use Kikis like they used Gamsu the following list of things will change for Fnatic:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Actually that's not fair, Kikis is a good European boy, Spirit will now become the new scapegoat, so that will change

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i'm not a huge fan of kikis but i think he's better than gamsu and it will be an improvement. also it will make fnc vs g2 more enjoyable.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Gamsu is actually good and has the ability to carry his team on his back which Kikis has never done

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Firebert posted:

Gamsu is actually good and has the ability to carry his team on his back which Kikis has never done

Yes but Kikis is European, and if Gamsu is so good why did Fnatic misuse him so terribly? Hard for me to agree that a player is good if his team won't integrate him. A truly good player says, "I was born in Europe!"

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It is Gamsu's fault that Febiven is playing worse than he ever has I'm surprised it took Fnatic so long to realize...

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

rabidsquid posted:

A truly good player says, "I was born in Europe!"

squid i love you but i really don't have a clue what you are talking about sometimes

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lovechop posted:

squid i love you but i really don't have a clue what you are talking about sometimes

Gamsu got a disproportionate amount of blame because he is a Korean import. Kikis is a sidegrade at best but a lot of people are stoked for the upgrade. Except the "upgrade" is, what exactly?

edit: literally the big complaint people had with Kikis was that his teleports and engages are bad, which is the complaint about Gamsu.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I don't think Gamsu was bad on Fnatic or the problem with Fnatic. I don't even think in terms of European play that they have any problems that needed addressing. So the move was kind of surprising. That said, Gamsu is definitely one of the most underwhelming uses of an import slot I can think of. But Kikis isn't really an upgrade in terms of skill, just more in terms of future flexibility I guess. I'm not sure.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There is zero future flexibility. They're not going to replace Febiven or Rekkles or Yellowstar. Which means they have future flexibility in importing a top laner. Which is the exact same.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

rabidsquid posted:

There is zero future flexibility. They're not going to replace Febiven or Rekkles or Yellowstar. Which means they have future flexibility in importing a top laner. Which is the exact same.

Yeah, this is what makes it so baffling. Unless they know Yellowstar is going to retire before next season and wanted to lock in Kikis while he's still available, this doesn't make sense in the short and mid-term.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yeah, if YS is retiring having the flexibility makes a little sense, although support has also historically been the worst position to import. Maybe they want to snatch up Ignar to replace YS.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

rabidsquid posted:

Gamsu got a disproportionate amount of blame because he is a Korean import. Kikis is a sidegrade at best but a lot of people are stoked for the upgrade. Except the "upgrade" is, what exactly?

edit: literally the big complaint people had with Kikis was that his teleports and engages are bad, which is the complaint about Gamsu.

the complaint about kikis was that he wasn't much of a carry player. MSI aside, his TPs were always good i thought? better than most EU tops. all the teams he's been on in the past have talked about how his communication was good, which i imagine is what fnatic were after.

you can put all the blame on fnatic for misusing gamsu or whatever but maybe he didn't always click or couldn't work well with the team or something i don't know. i thought he was entirely unremarkable and putting someone in who is known to be a strong communicator with decent teamplay sounds alright to me.

that said he looks like a fat draco malfoy and he can't play riven

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
They better fuckin not take Ignar, I want to see Médecins Sans Frontières kick rear end in EU LCS next split!

rabidsquid posted:

redditors aren't people

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kikis could only play tanks and could not engage well on them for 95% of the games I have watched him in. Having someone who can't engage or play carries is something of a liability, although he was always a low econ player for G2 and there's definitely value in that. But he never really excelled as a low econ player, and honestly his performance has been very similar to Gamsu.

I should also expect this will result in Spirit leaving, but the team hasn't played well around him either and he's the new future scapegoat so it will be fine/an upgrade when they replace him, in the minds of the fans. Half of that is actually true though, I think this current Fnatic lineup will struggle to enable Spirit and if they're going to go forward with Kikis/Werlyb in the top lane and the current Febiven they probably would be better off with a less aggressive jungler. Then of course problems arise when you have multiple passive lanes and a passive jungler, but hypothetically you can fix that with coaching and pick ban. But hypothetically you can fix the problem of having an aggressive jungler and passive laners with that too. Week 9 MVP Deilor seems to be slacking a bit with the new FNC roster in season 6.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Just put in Kikis when you want tanks played and Werlyb when you want Jax played. Problem solved.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

Libertine posted:

Just put in Kikis when you want tanks played and Werlyb when you want Jax played. Problem solved.

I forget, was Werlyb the one who was using the Gnarricane in Challenger Series last season? That was funny but I don't remember if he won with it or not.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Xyretire posted:

I forget, was Werlyb the one who was using the Gnarricane in Challenger Series last season? That was funny but I don't remember if he won with it or not.

No that was Wickd on whichever CS team he played on at the time.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
it is funny though cause werlyb is basically wickd but with jax instead of irelia

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The really funny potential scenario here is when they bench Spirit for Kikis and play Werlyb top

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
replace rekkles with piglet

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Gamsu is better than Kikis.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Firebert posted:

replace rekkles with piglet

nah

rekkles for steeelback
yellow for ignar

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I don't think Yellowstars shot calling can be replaced by a dirty foreigner.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Sexpansion posted:

Gamsu is better than Kikis.

how many people has gamsu flash bear slapped???

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

exethan posted:

how many people has gamsu flash bear slapped???

It speaks to Quikshot's MEMETIC PROWESS that he can take something legitimately funny and make it so I'm pissed off every time I hear it

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Welp

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
ah poo poo

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
how is Splyce in third in EU by the way

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Gamsu and Spirit are good friends, I suspect getting to play together was a major reason Spirit joined FNC. I wouldn't expect him to be on FNC by 2017.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Freeze benched for Forg1ven????

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

curiousCat posted:

this will certainly be something

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

curiousCat posted:

In their press release they say it's because of Freeze's hand injury and that Forgiven is just a sub.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

cant wait for vander to walk back his talk of quitting

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

cant wait for vander to walk back his talk of quitting

Forgiven will just play support for Freeze. Easy.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

curiousCat posted:

I was literally thinking today about who would be the next team to take the Forgiven challenge. I can't believe it happened so soon.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

curiousCat posted:

how is Splyce in third in EU by the way

their new support is really good

• Locked thread