Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
You know what's more awesome than All-Might's buff form derails? Tokoyami's Dad.

Source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Now, now, we all now that Tokoyami's dad is basically just the :911: eagle with a human body.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

DrSunshine posted:

Now, now, we all now that Tokoyami's dad is basically just the :911: eagle with a human body.

I will be very sad if Tokoyami's dad isn't Japanese Daffy Duck.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Space-Bird posted:

it's a visual metaphor.

he is running out of steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1pLVS2DtPw

qscerg
Dec 29, 2005
Was going back looking for another scene when I ran across this.

So Hagakure gets everyone to go to the mall at the same time that Tomura happens to be there, it adds more to the theory of her being the mole.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Doesn't Shiggy only stomp off to the mall because he's annoyed at having to accept rabble like Dabi and Toga into the club?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Going to the mall wasn't part of Shigaraki's plan, he only went there because he got all mad about those stain-worshiping idiots he had to take on. He was just as surprised as Deku.

Otherwise he probably would have worn his hands :v:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I hope that Hagakure is not the mole honestly. I think her gimmick is funny, but frankly as a character that you can't see except for clothes when she wears them she's basically just a running gag without much personality. Having an empty panel or a floating shirt explain why she is the traitor (and the comic really hasn't focused on her whatsoever; I think big hands girl has had more) would be kind of lame.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Radish posted:

I hope that Hagakure is not the mole honestly. I think her gimmick is funny, but frankly as a character that you can't see except for clothes when she wears them she's basically just a running gag without much personality. Having an empty panel or a floating shirt explain why she is the traitor (and the comic really hasn't focused on her whatsoever; I think big hands girl has had more) would be kind of lame.

I expect her to get some more development soon before the traitor reveal.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The unassuming one is always the one you least expect.

I mean, look at AssClass :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most of the problems with any of the traitor theories can be resolved if said traitor reported to a41 instead of shigaraki. even the buddy cop, who has always been the least suspicious guy alive. various suspects are made considerably less suspicious based on what shigaraki knew. he didn't know about the hero raid, all might's condition, etc.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Mordaedil posted:

It's not that hard to figure out, he was a fit teenager, trained, became super-buff, inherited OfA, got his stomach and guts blasted out, became a lot weaker and he puffs himself up similar to how fat men on the beach suck in their stomachs to appear buff and fit. But holding the stomach in tends to be exhausting, so too is the pretense of being big and buff without any guts left to keep them up. He's literally been ripping up his old wounds just to be a hero, but now it is over and his guts can't take it anymore.

The explanation for losing his powers wasn't his health problem, it's that once you pass on One for All you're left with a finite remnant that eventually burns out. And even if muscle form's bodybuilding is natural, for the third time that doesn't explain the hair or the skintone or the heroic bone structure or the dark shading.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jewel Repetition posted:

The explanation for losing his powers wasn't his health problem, it's that once you pass on One for All you're left with a finite remnant that eventually burns out. And even if muscle form's bodybuilding is natural, for the third time that doesn't explain the hair or the skintone or the heroic bone structure or the dark shading.

its a gag

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

new omake, tora is trans

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Astro Ambulance posted:

new omake, tora is trans

Huh, that's actually pretty neat

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

fuckin spergs

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm used to DBZ where all numbers are literal so I did take it that way and it really confused me. I'm glad for this explanation.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

"Kaioken x20 is merely a desperate cry meant to pump Goku up, not literal." -Akira Toriyama

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Aurora posted:

"Kaioken x20 is merely a desperate cry meant to pump Goku up, not literal." -Akira Toriyama

It's not just the kaioken multipliers that are literal either, also when anybody talks about using a percentage of their power, and the obvious classic example of power levels themselves.

I think a lot of shonen is like that one way or another because it's made for little/adolescent boys and they love having numerical representations of stuff. But I'm not blaming Horikoshi for the misunderstanding. Part of what makes Hero Academia great is that it's not like normal shonen; it's less afraid to use metaphors, have realistic consequences, move at a brisk pace and have drama and "times" moments. It's like shonen for people who are sick of shonen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
huh, that's neat. you very rarely see ftm trans characters anywhere, much less in a comic for children.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

i love this

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ragdoll's omake sketch is loving adorable and only makes her being out of action even sadder :(

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I can't find a place to read the omake :saddowns:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Jewel Repetition posted:

It's not just the kaioken multipliers that are literal either, also when anybody talks about using a percentage of their power, and the obvious classic example of power levels themselves.

I think a lot of shonen is like that one way or another because it's made for little/adolescent boys and they love having numerical representations of stuff. But I'm not blaming Horikoshi for the misunderstanding. Part of what makes Hero Academia great is that it's not like normal shonen; it's less afraid to use metaphors, have realistic consequences, move at a brisk pace and have drama and "times" moments. It's like shonen for people who are sick of shonen.

Hunter x Hunter is for those children. Yeesh. I don't really get the hoary chestnut of "it's actually impossible to give more than 100% :smug:", because a true pedant can easily prove that wrong. :sigh: hang in there Horikoshi.

Edit: Also, The TORA thing in question:

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 12, 2016

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

I can't find a place to read the omake :saddowns:

It's on batoto.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Serious Frolicking posted:

huh, that's neat. you very rarely see ftm trans characters anywhere, much less in a comic for children.
Tiger is cool

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The OST is out by the way.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Alright which one of you sent that letter?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

chumbler posted:

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'm used to DBZ where all numbers are literal so I did take it that way and it really confused me. I'm glad for this explanation.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

chumbler posted:

Iida

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jewel Repetition posted:

Uh, no. Hero Academy is just straight-laced shonen carried out to a predictable degree. It's just well-done, nothing unique or for people who are "sick of shonen".

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Mordaedil posted:

Uh, no. Hero Academy is just straight-laced shonen carried out to a predictable degree. It's just well-done, nothing unique or for people who are "sick of shonen".

I'd argue the amount of 'well-doneness' certainly makes it unique. It carries a different voice than most Shonen series, and does it to an exemplary level. Deku isn't a typical shonen lead, Baku is..etc, It certainly holds themes about young boys trying their best, and exciting action, though.. It's a lot more in line with One Piece (which was also an outlier, and now also the biggest Shonen series ever to be conceived.) I'd say it's far from predictable too, most people thought All Might was gonna flat out die, or be a villain at one point, it's a lot easier to be smug in hindsight.

I've won over a few friends who said "I'm tired of shonen" with it, but some people are always going to be haters about anime.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Who's that coming out of the ground and getting eyes poked by Jirou? One of the class B girls?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Yeah it's Yui Kodai from the test of courage.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ah now I get it, she's working with that swamp dude then since her power is shrinking and growing or something like that.

e: oh she also likes matryoshka dolls :eyepop:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

qscerg posted:

Was going back looking for another scene when I ran across this.

So Hagakure gets everyone to go to the mall at the same time that Tomura happens to be there, it adds more to the theory of her being the mole.

You know, invisible girl could well be a 25 year-old woman pretending to be a schoolgirl in order spy at UA.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Hagakure is three invisible toddlers sitting on one another's shoulders. The middle one is the traitor.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hagakure is a lie created by a different invisible person with a telekinesis quirk that is also a ventriloquist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Do mutantshape quirks manifest from birth, or do some 4 year olds suddenly turn into freaks?