Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I have fully allowed the vengeful spirit of CE to control my body. I give up. I went to Lowe's and bought some shelves and now I'm loving off for the day.

CE really is you from the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It's like a sad, southern version of Looper

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

flosofl posted:

It's like a sad, southern version of Looper

It ends with him exposing himself at the TV station.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Inspector_666 posted:

Wait, how is the equipment supposed to be attached to the carts?

Also where are the carts even what the hell is going on?

Probably cameras/sound equipment that get wheeled from class to class so you can record lectures to upload/stream.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rhymenoserous posted:

He's about to stack that poo poo on lowes discount shelving. I think we're beyond all that.

Not for a professional job, but I am using the cardboard box my server shipped in to keep it from laying on the floor at home.

On a possibly related note, I may need to get a new server soon.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

RFC2324 posted:

Not for a professional job, but I am using the cardboard box my server shipped in to keep it from laying on the floor at home.

On a possibly related note, I may need to get a new server soon.

Really surprised the fans haven't caused enough jiggle in the cardboard box to cause extremely poor disk performance.

Ever since I saw a guy demonstrating disk interrupt spikes by yelling at his servers, I'm suspect of absolutely every environmental instability.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Really surprised the fans haven't caused enough jiggle in the cardboard box to cause extremely poor disk performance.

Ever since I saw a guy demonstrating disk interrupt spikes by yelling at his servers, I'm suspect of absolutely every environmental instability.

The box is full of the shipping styrofoam, which helps, but I do see strange memory errors every now and then. It runs well enough to keep 6 or so VMs stable on top of it, which is all I need.

Of course, it is an old Sun box, and those fuckers are robust as all hell.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

The box is full of the shipping styrofoam, which helps, but I do see strange memory errors every now and then. It runs well enough to keep 6 or so VMs stable on top of it, which is all I need.

Of course, it is an old Sun box, and those fuckers are robust as all hell.

Strangely enough, it was an array in Sun's data center that hated being yelled at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've been looking for a new job, but the new job wants AS/400 experience.

So an ex-coworker who works at the location I'm applying for (who'd train me if I get the position) shows me some youtube tutorials on AS/400.

:wtc:

Seriously, why would anyone use this poo poo when there is better poo poo available? Why should everyone have to do this minutia? At least it pays way better than my current job. She thinks I might get it because the hiring guy was impressed by my resume, though the director wants someone with AS/400 experience. At least I've been namedropped in meetings for new hires though. Outlook looks good.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Seriously, why would anyone use this poo poo when there is better poo poo available?

Stable as hell and scales like a cat burglar. Very easy to upgrade and IBM's reputation with iSeries hardware.

It's also attractive because of the huge ROI since they're like tanks and just keep trucking.

Gotta ask: financial or insurance? You see a preponderance of these things there.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're trying to hire a new as/400 dude and having a hell of a time. Very good salary for here. Manufacturing company.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

flosofl posted:

Stable as hell and scales like a cat burglar. Very easy to upgrade and IBM's reputation with iSeries hardware.

It's also attractive because of the huge ROI since they're like tanks and just keep trucking.

Gotta ask: financial or insurance? You see a preponderance of these things there.
Seconding they just keep going. My previous employed position had an smaller iSeries that had been running non stop for almost 10 years. It finally suffered half a day of downtime when both power supplies blew up at the same time (what are the odds?) and we only had one spare on the shelf. IBM express couriered new PSUs and a second spare at no cost. When it came back up there was no data lost and despite all the hard drives being 5+ years running none of them had an issue starting back up.

OS/400 is an odd beast if you've only used unixes or Windows, but it's not bad once you get the hang of it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

GreenNight posted:

We're trying to hire a new as/400 dude and having a hell of a time. Very good salary for here. Manufacturing company.

Try finding an AIX person. It's almost as bad already.

I'm over 40 and considered very young within the circles of people who know the poo poo I know.

Pay keeps going up, though. So that's nice.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

larchesdanrew posted:

Now begins my slow descent into a spiraling madness of which the only outcome is my eventual transformation into my once formidable foe.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

I helped a friend in my off time by telling him how he needs to unfuck his systems that his last admin left behind. He hired a new IT "Director" before talking to me and the guy is about as dense as a rich mahogany.

:smuggo: We need to black out the internet so that our internal servers perform better.
:eng101: But all of the remote offices connect to the VPNs that run over the internet.
:smuggo: Oh, it doesn't work that way.
:eng101: What?
:smuggo: Sorry, I have to go. I have a meeting with [friend].

*Two Weeks Later*

:smuggo: None of the remote sites can connect to corporate resources. How come?
:eng101: Because you told all of the routers at the remote sites to disconnect from the internet. No internet, no VPN, no corporate access.
:smuggo: I told you, that's not how it works. VPNs use a virtual network. They don't need the internet.
:eng101: .....Do you even listen to yourself talk? Or have you just never met the real world before?
Cue guy shouting at me. :v:

So, I handed my friend the documentation I have, where the first page is to launch this guy from a catapult into on-coming traffic. Friend goes "But he says he has it all handled!" to which I said "Talk to your staff. None of them like him and he's been doing nothing but making the existing mess from the last guy worse." "But he says he has it all handled!" "It's your business, man. But you should never listen to one person. Go talk to your staff."

I got my fee up front, because nepotism never works out for me, so I'm set. Makes me wonder how he managed to ever turn a profit, though.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
OK, things are looking up. I will not be using the Lowe's shelves.

I worked out a deal last night with the company supplying the equipment and replaced four projectors we really didn't need with a server cabinet. I worked out a deal with the principal to oust two teachers from their office that they use probably once a month so I can turn it into a new server room. It's right above where the distance learning classroom will be, so we only have to drill through the floor to run cables (it's an old building without drop ceilings). It's also the coldest room in the building and has incredibly high ceilings, so temperature shouldn't be an issue.

They informed me that Monday is just going to be end-point assembly and testing, and the infrastructure won't come for another week or two, so that's plenty of time to get the cabinet installed.

I also worked out a doozy of a deal with the college to tack our card reader project onto theirs, effectively saving us about $13k and also forcing us to use the college's enrollment system for automatic prox card activation on enrollment, instead of me activating each one by hand.

I'm staving off the CE infection, for now, but the future looks grim, yo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Arsten posted:

:smuggo: I told you, that's not how it works. VPNs use a virtual network. They don't need the internet.

It's like art.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

OK, things are looking up. I will not be using the Lowe's shelves.

I worked out a deal last night with the company supplying the equipment and replaced four projectors we really didn't need with a server cabinet. I worked out a deal with the principal to oust two teachers from their office that they use probably once a month so I can turn it into a new server room. It's right above where the distance learning classroom will be, so we only have to drill through the floor to run cables (it's an old building without drop ceilings). It's also the coldest room in the building and has incredibly high ceilings, so temperature shouldn't be an issue.

They informed me that Monday is just going to be end-point assembly and testing, and the infrastructure won't come for another week or two, so that's plenty of time to get the cabinet installed.

I also worked out a doozy of a deal with the college to tack our card reader project onto theirs, effectively saving us about $13k and also forcing us to use the college's enrollment system for automatic prox card activation on enrollment, instead of me activating each one by hand.

I'm staving off the CE infection, for now, but the future looks grim, yo.

I don't know... that all sounds pretty good to me. Big win for you.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's like art.

Modern art which also can show a lack of talent and intelligence

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Malek posted:

Modern art which also can show a lack of talent and intelligence

There is no art to being that ignorant.

To update this story, however, he just emailed me and said I was out of line to recommend his termination. He was a Level 3 Systems Administrator for two Fortune 500 companies! :v:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Arsten posted:

To update this story, however, he just emailed me and said I was out of line to recommend his termination. He was a Level 3 Systems Administrator for two Fortune 500 companies! :v:

Oh, okay.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Arsten posted:

Pfffft. Clearly he needs to up his game. Everyone knows that multiclass System Administrator / Database Administrator is the path to take.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Arsten posted:

Ask him to produce a document detailing VPN connectivity between the remote office and primary datacenter, including IP addresses and routing information.

Then when he balks, flails, and yells at you without producing anything, you can tell him that's why you're not out of line at all.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ask him to produce a document detailing VPN connectivity between the remote office and primary datacenter, including IP addresses and routing information.

Then when he balks, flails, and yells at you without producing anything, you can tell him that's why you're not out of line at all.

My response was "The fact that you got people at two different companies to do your work for you doesn't mean you are useful or competent. Think on this life lesson while I stand by my recommendation. "

So far, he hasn't responded, but I'll update if anything savory happens. Unfortunately, based on my friends' responses, I doubt anything will come of my involvement. The last guy left quite the mess, though.
The highlights are:
  • Home Server running their internal file shares
  • All Users have to be added to both the AD server and the WHS
  • The AD server is also setup as a DNS server with lookups pointing at the internet router with first lookup pointing back at the AD server and secondary pointing to 8.8.8.8
  • the AD server is plugged into the network with all three of its NICs and without bonding
  • the WHS is plugged into a wifi bridge that connects to the WAP via G spec
  • the PBX is almost 20 years old (and the business is about 8 years old) and uses a dip panel to configure settings
  • the PBX has no documentation

With a fistful of other not as funny issues.

Otherwise, I turned in my report and I got my money. It's not my pony show, anymore.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Arsten posted:

The highlights are:
  • The AD server is also setup as a DNS server with lookups pointing at the internet router with first lookup pointing back at the AD server and secondary pointing to 8.8.8.8
  • the AD server is plugged into the network with all three of its NICs and without bonding

hahahahah that poor AD server

I think the best part is that these three things could be fixed in a day with maybe 2 minutes of downtime for the NIC bonding. If the director of IT has been there for over a week, it's his problem and not an inherited issue anymore.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

hahahahah that poor AD server

I think the best part is that these three things could be fixed in a day with maybe 2 minutes of downtime for the NIC bonding. If the director of IT has been there for over a week, it's his problem and not an inherited issue anymore.

If he were competent, I'd probably give him few weeks of leeway to try and find out the "why's" so he doesn't just come in and start making changes that might have some ridiculous cause and break something. As it is, I expect him to create havoc within a month or two.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Arsten posted:

My response was "The fact that you got people at two different companies to do your work for you doesn't mean you are useful or competent. Think on this life lesson while I stand by my recommendation. "

So far, he hasn't responded, but I'll update if anything savory happens. Unfortunately, based on my friends' responses, I doubt anything will come of my involvement. The last guy left quite the mess, though.
The highlights are:
  • Home Server running their internal file shares
  • the WHS is plugged into a wifi bridge that connects to the WAP via G spec
  • the PBX is almost 20 years old (and the business is about 8 years old) and uses a dip panel to configure settings
  • the PBX has no documentation

With a fistful of other not as funny issues.

Otherwise, I turned in my report and I got my money. It's not my pony show, anymore.

You know, whenever reading this kind of thing, part of me, a small part I suppose, wishes that Microsoft hadn't done so much work to make their systems as resilient and workable as they are. In other words that there were in fact only specific configurations that would work, so that it would actually have to be set up properly in the first place.

Yeah yeah, I know, if they hadn't then Novell might still be around, or someone else would have come along to provide a system that wasn't so rigid, or <shudder> OS X server might have some actual market share, but as nice as it is that AD & Windows in general will still function with a lot of things misconfigured, it also means that poo poo like this can exist in the world without people thinking twice about it other than "ugh the server is so sloooowww!"

I mean, you said home server, but it wasn't until you put "WHS" that I realized you actually meant WHS and not "a piece of hardware that should be used only as a home server". Because why in the name of FUCKNUGGET MCGEE WOULD YOU USE WHS IN A BUSINESS. How do you even get your hands on it, it's loving deprecated isn't it? Are they using its magical not RAID features too? gently caress's sake.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Arsten posted:

Blockbuster and Kodak?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Potato Alley posted:

I mean, you said home server, but it wasn't until you put "WHS" that I realized you actually meant WHS and not "a piece of hardware that should be used only as a home server". Because why in the name of FUCKNUGGET MCGEE WOULD YOU USE WHS IN A BUSINESS. How do you even get your hands on it, it's loving deprecated isn't it? Are they using its magical not RAID features too? gently caress's sake.

I'm pretty sure they bought it during the sale time frame and it's just been sitting there working this entire time. It was running on an original Phenom 2.2Ghz which was released around 2007. Granted, I have no idea when WHS was on sale I just know that they stopped selling it in like 2010.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

As a Rochesterian, :suicide:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've been looking for a new job, but the new job wants AS/400 experience.

So an ex-coworker who works at the location I'm applying for (who'd train me if I get the position) shows me some youtube tutorials on AS/400.

:wtc:

Seriously, why would anyone use this poo poo when there is better poo poo available?

Other people have said it, but AS/400 is a totally different kind of thing. Imagine you own a trucking/logistics company. You can set up AS/400 and be fairly sure that it'll still will work when you're ready to hand the business off to your kid.

The OS is 128-bit compatible, so once the hardware catches up, it'll still work without requiring major upgrades.

I think AS/400 or RPG would be great skills for someone who doesn't feel like an IT superstar. They're not glamorous skills, but you'll make decent pay.

I think there are a lot of companies that would be interested in someone with AS/400 skills who's under the age of 50. They'll want to keep you for a while.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Well that resolved quicker than I expected.

So, my friend calls me freaked out and told me this gem of a story: New Sys Admin was apparently escorted from the building by police after he threatened to rape and murder the receptionist when my friend went to take my advice and talk to the staff about him and started the inquiry with the receptionist. SysAdmin walked in on the Receptionist going "Every time he's up here, he tells me I don't know how to use my computer and then makes sexist remarks." to which he said something along the lines of "If you don't stop lying to the boss, the police might find you lifeless in a ditch without underwear." In the reception area with a client, two employees, my friend, and the receptionist.

:stare:

I knew he was a raging moron, but I didn't realize he was that dumb.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think there are a lot of companies that would be interested in someone with AS/400 skills who's under the age of 50. They'll want to keep you for a while.

This is true. The guy who we're replacing has been here 27 years. We want someone to be here another 27 years.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Arsten posted:

That's the best way that could have ended. gently caress that guy.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Arsten posted:

So, my friend calls me freaked out and told me this gem of a story: New Sys Admin was apparently escorted from the building by police after he threatened to rape and murder the receptionist when my friend went to take my advice and talk to the staff about him and started the inquiry with the receptionist. SysAdmin walked in on the Receptionist going "Every time he's up here, he tells me I don't know how to use my computer and then makes sexist remarks." to which he said something along the lines of "If you don't stop lying to the boss, the police might find you lifeless in a ditch without underwear." In the reception area with a client, two employees, my friend, and the receptionist.

Jesus Christ.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Collateral Damage posted:

That's the best way that could have ended. gently caress that guy.

Unless you're the receptionist.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Arsten posted:

I work for a behavioral healthcare provider, and from the loving *clients* I've never heard anything that extreme. :gonk:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

That's....that's going well beyond being a "moron." I hope he doesn't know the personal information of that poor receptionist.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Oh, glee. I've been contacted by the police. I get to write and sign an affidavit regarding my involvement. Apparently, I "flirted" with the receptionist on my way out and that made him think it was okay to be...er... "friendly" with the staff. :confused:

Full disclosure: On my way out, I told the receptionist that her and my friend should go to dinner with my wife and I (Receptionist and Friend are long-time girlfriends) as a casual 'See you later' type thing. This is somehow an invitation for what amounts to a stranger to be a jerk to you.

New social rules, everybody! When you see a couple kiss in a public place like the grocery store, it is A-Okay to join them in their embrace and kiss them! I don't know why, but SysAdmin guy says so! Don't actually do this.

Edit: Ah hahaha. New call from friend: apparently, the charges against him are Trespass, Disorderly Conduct, and Terroristic Threats. My friend has no idea about the last one. I can only hope he threatened to blow up the police station.

Arsten fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Arsten posted:

Don't actually do this.

drat

too late