Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Obligatory Toast posted:

Also correspond to the three legendary birds in game. ... It's in the team's emblems.

http://www.othertees.com/ is selling T-shirts with the team emblems, I wonder if they got permission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Deep Winter posted:

Riding down the interstate got me like

Really shouldn't have used that incense.

I never had one run away before today. Is that new in the update?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The new update changed the location map in the Pokemon info to be significantly more zoomed out than before. Presumably prep for trading so people can't find your home/work/school/etc just by trading with you?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My conference has 0 stops or gyms in range, occasionally spawns a few pidgeys or eevee. At least for lunch I got to go to the shake shack and attack the Chipotle gym - never capped it, just kept farming the people who claimed it for xp over and over again.

48 hours out of the city and I'm starting to run out of potions and pokeballs with all this time spent claiming gyms.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

quote:

"One image circulating online appears to show a player encountering an unsettling digital critter inside the museum: a Pokémon called Koffing that emits poisonous gas floating by a sign for the museum's Helena Rubinstein Auditorium. The auditorium shows the testimonials of Jews who survived the gas chambers. ... Hollinger said that the museum is concerned about the potential Koffing appearance."

2016 is amazing.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
There's a Holocaust rememberance thing near my office and it's a Pokestop.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Knightmare posted:

Has anyone bought the backpack/item upgrade and know how many slots it adds? I'm considering using surveybux on it since it's pretty cheap.

It's 50 extra slots both for items and for Pokemon, and it looks like you can buy them multiple times if you want. I'm not sure if there's an upper limit.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wonder if "There's literally a chance a Koffing shows up at the literal Holocaust museum" is what it takes to get Niantic off their asses and remove a portal. poo poo like that takes ages, if at all, in Ingress.

Related, I wonder who is really in control of the game, them or Nintendo.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Wait how do you get mad XP for taking over gyms. I only ever get 150xp?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm swimming in Pidgeys, Rattatas, Weedles, and Eevees.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Welp, just got out of bed at midnight because a Machamp showed up on the radar as I was checking it one last time.
It was level 35, of course.

bows1 posted:

Wait how do you get mad XP for taking over gyms. I only ever get 150xp?
It gives 150 per level of the gym, and you can do it multiple times as you delevel it. Then there's the extra bonus you get for installing a new 'mon after emptying it out.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Is there a pro MLG guide to battling yet? It's difficult to figure out what a good timing for dodge is and stuff since the battles are so fast. I think I'm sort of learning (doing better against the same pokemon after a few tries) but it's hard to know for sure what I should be doing.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I'm having a problem where if I post up next to a spot the game wont't allow me to drop a lure. Is this a known bug or does anyone have a solution?

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012
Looks like latest update on iOS is completely broken if you login with Trainer Club.

In 2016, how can... etc etc

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I've run into two Charmanders in my work parking lot (hoping this continues). First time I was level 7 and it got away and there wasn't much I could do about it. Today was another one and popped a razz and the better ball and even though he was only 170, he broke loose 3 times and then poofed.

gently caress Charmanders.

Caught a 567 ponyta, should evolve into a monster. Also been catching a lot of Clefairys at my desk.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Hm servers didn't break after lunch today, dead game?

Do I have to kill all the pokemon at an opposing team's gym in one shot to do anything to it or can I just pick on the weakest one and wipe to the others over and over again.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I found a Gastly at my job.

I work in a Children's Hospital. I was on the Cancer Ward.

I imagine some of the kids were also playing.

:smith:

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Fuzz posted:

I found a Gastly at my job.

I work in a Children's Hospital. I was on the Cancer Ward.

I imagine some of the kids were also playing.

:smith:

At least gastly's dex entries don't talk about him specifically kidnapping and murdering children like other ghost pokes.
Also after reading his bulba ghost should totally be week to flying.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
A couples questions... (ASKING FOR A FRIEND I MEAN MY SON!)

I sure do find a lot of Pidgeys and Weedles. Is it my level, location or a combination of both, or something else altogether that will let me find some new and exciting Pokey mons.

I have come across Gyms and they are all outfitted with like 500CP Pokey Mons. A) What can I do there other than just get my poo poo pushed in? B) Is there a technique to fighting well? I know you tap and swipe to dodge. Is that it?

Other things I may not know?

[edit] When I say "I" I am referring to my Son or Friend that I am asking for.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

At least gastly's dex entries don't talk about him specifically kidnapping and murdering children like other ghost pokes.

Yeah, once we get later generations, Drifloons will be particularly creepy in places like that.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

JagGator posted:

Looks like latest update on iOS is completely broken if you login with Trainer Club.

The release notes said they "Added stability to Pokémon Trainer Club account log-in process". I guess something that consistently fails is more stable than something than works sporadically.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Frankston posted:

It's real dumb that this game doesn't have a counter for how many unique pokestops you've visited.

The Backpacker medal lists a total of pokestops you've visited, but I've no idea if it's unique visits or not. As with everything else in this game the description seems to be deliberately ambiguous.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Stop using PTC, and just use Google.

Rafza posted:

The version when it launched was 28.x i think so we may have gotten the update already this morning

I just checked APK Mirror, and it launched as v0.29.0, so Android hasn't gotten an update yet, it seems.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

There's a Holocaust rememberance thing near my office and it's a Pokestop.

Same

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lemming posted:

Is there a pro MLG guide to battling yet? It's difficult to figure out what a good timing for dodge is and stuff since the battles are so fast. I think I'm sort of learning (doing better against the same pokemon after a few tries) but it's hard to know for sure what I should be doing.

I’ve found that tapping as quickly as humanly possible seems to work best - anytime I try to hold in order to use a special attack, it never winds up worth it. I’ve read earlier in the thread that if you swipe to dodge when the screen flashes (NOT WHEN THE ANIMATION OF AN ATTACK PLAYS) then you’ll consistently dodge it, but I haven’t tested that much yet.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So did anyone else notice new gyms/Stops all of a sudden? There's a church right next to my office that didn't have anything before, which is now a Stop as of this afternoon, and my wife just texted me that there's now a gym next door to our house.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Finally bought my first smartphone, basically exactly for Pokemon Go. I'm currently waiting for it to finish it's activation thing to transfer over my old number.

The wait is killing me.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

JagGator posted:

well, poo poo

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Just lost a 550 CP Pinser thanks go GPS signal going out.

Level 11 and first poke higher than about 150 I encounter in the wild.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Wintermutant posted:

So did anyone else notice new gyms/Stops all of a sudden? There's a church right next to my office that didn't have anything before, which is now a Stop as of this afternoon, and my wife just texted me that there's now a gym next door to our house.

*hopefully opens up app*
*sighs and closes app again for the day*

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Finally found the thread to ask: has anyone else had any problems just loading the app up? I downloaded it the other day and have been trying off and on to try and get past the loading screen.

My best attempts have been sitting right next to my wif-fi router but for the most part the app just hangs immediatly after getting past the 'Be aware of your surroundings!' button prompt you have to hit. The one time I made it past that the servers were down. :(

Also is it generally better to make a pokemon trainer club account or just use a google account?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

SaffronKit posted:

Finally found the thread to ask: has anyone else had any problems just loading the app up? I downloaded it the other day and have been trying off and on to try and get past the loading screen.

My best attempts have been sitting right next to my wif-fi router but for the most part the app just hangs immediatly after getting past the 'Be aware of your surroundings!' button prompt you have to hit. The one time I made it past that the servers were down. :(

Also is it generally better to make a pokemon trainer club account or just use a google account?

Use Google. PTC sounds like a loving nightmare.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Kheldarn posted:

I just checked APK Mirror, and it launched as v0.29.0, so Android hasn't gotten an update yet, it seems.

The iOS update was specifically to address a problem where the game was asking for way more permissions from Google than it needed. It's more of a security fix than a bugfix update. The Android version doesn't have this issue, so it's unlikely to see an update soon.

Although considering how much of this game is reliant on the servers it's quite possible they'll push updates to the server code that will fix problems on both platforms without the need for app updates. They've already done this to address the 1HP gym bug.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kheldarn posted:

But what about the mythical bonuses I'll miss out on by using the not-nintendo one? What if they give away Mew to PTC faithful as compensation for their awful issues? :ohdear:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

I’ve found that tapping as quickly as humanly possible seems to work best - anytime I try to hold in order to use a special attack, it never winds up worth it. I’ve read earlier in the thread that if you swipe to dodge when the screen flashes (NOT WHEN THE ANIMATION OF AN ATTACK PLAYS) then you’ll consistently dodge it, but I haven’t tested that much yet.

I'll try that, thanks. If they're weak special attacks seem good but yeah you take a ton of damage. If there's a way to reliably react and dodge moves that seems like the best way to go.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

The Backpacker medal lists a total of pokestops you've visited, but I've no idea if it's unique visits or not. As with everything else in this game the description seems to be deliberately ambiguous.

It's definitely total because I definitely haven't hit 25 uniques.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lol the connection dropped when my egg hatched, come back and the egg is gone and the Journal shows nothing. poo poo's just gone. What a trash game

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rastor posted:

http://www.othertees.com/ is selling T-shirts with the team emblems, I wonder if they got permission.

Hoodie or t-shirt, hoodie or t-shirt :derp:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm using PTC... If this poo poo isn't sorted by tomorrow and I make a google account do I have to start again? I just hit level 10 :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Lol the connection dropped when my egg hatched, come back and the egg is gone and the Journal shows nothing. poo poo's just gone. What a trash game

Egg hatched pokemon don't go in the journal. Check your recent pokemon list.

• Locked thread