Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

The best part of Starbound will always be the chucklefish employee quitting this thread to talk about how we're all so mean in the stardew thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone playing this with the Steam controller? How is it (relative to how the game is, in general, of course)? If I'm going to get back into this, you can be drat sure it'd be from the couch, once in a while (unless.... it's good?)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

well the steam controller is trash so i'm going to say it's probably a miserable experience

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Davoren posted:

The best part of Starbound will always be the chucklefish employee quitting this thread to talk about how we're all so mean in the stardew thread.

Supernorn also talked poo poo about us in the Pixel Art thread a while back lol

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Moryrie posted:

Oh, I did actually have a question. Is this actually more tedious than Sunless Sea? .. at least Sunless Sea in like mid 2014 when I last gave it a chance and it was tedious and slow, and they seemed to keep balancing it to be even more so? Because that's one comparison I never saw brought up somehow.

Sunless Sea is basically an interactive novel and I totally get why people find it tedious or unfun. For all its slow pace and obfuscation the player at least gets paid with cool text to read. But that game is trying to do something specific and I'd say it more or less hits its mark. Starbound, even in its current inoffensive state, really doesn't have any idea what it wants to be beyond 'everything'.

If I were to compare their tedium, I'd say Starbound is the more tedious because it has about 1/10 the payoff that Sunless Sea does.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I would not doubt Supes would ban me on sight in SS13. but then again im kinda a shitler and see why.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I wonder if someone will update the buttbot mod for Starbound now that it's finally coming out

hell making new monsters is p easy, I might do it myself

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Babe Magnet posted:

I wonder if someone will update the buttbot mod for Starbound now that it's finally coming out

hell making new monsters is p easy, I might do it myself

Becareful, some say that this is LITERALLY Rape

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rrussom posted:

Becareful, some say that this is LITERALLY Rape

are you ever going to post anything that isn't completely worthless you abysmal little goblin

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Babe Magnet posted:

Supernorn is in one of the goon IRC channels and the only time he really pipes up is when Starbound is mentioned and he starts shilling for it, to which the rest of the channel rips on him. Rinse/repeat as milestones are "met".

edit: similarly we used to see both Tiy and Mollygos on Synirc fairly often but within about 2/3 months after release both vanished never to be seen again. Tiy probably left because he wasn't being fellated by the #steamgoons irc.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 12, 2016

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

oddium posted:

are you ever going to post anything that isn't completely worthless you abysmal little goblin

based on past experience, no

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Starbound thread goin HAM today

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
The worst thing about Starbound is that it apparently killed development of a (assumedly) not totally janky SS13. A bunch of my friends and I were looking forward to that.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there's no loving way the SS13 remake was going to ever be anything but vaporware

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I guess you guys don't like Alpacas, huh.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

Matter manipulator upgrade modules are extremely rare and you have to find 12 to get the first speed upgrade. We didn't have 12 between the three of us after 5-6 hours of playing.
Wait matter manipulator upgrades are random drops now? Rather than just getting some specific metals?

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

there's no loving way the SS13 remake was going to ever be anything but vaporware

Shhh let my dreams live.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Zereth posted:

Wait matter manipulator upgrades are random drops now? Rather than just getting some specific metals?

I think you can do quests for them and such but yeah you find parts in tech chests and such also. As well, upgrading the matter manipulator is more complex than it used to be, there's a few different paths you decide to put points into like mining speed, range, etc.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Babe Magnet posted:

Also called me unprofessional! Granted, talking about your former workplace is a bit uncouth but I don't think it really matters when you've quit the industry to begin with.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Rhopunzel posted:

Also called me unprofessional! Granted, talking about your former workplace is a bit uncouth but I don't think it really matters when you've quit the industry to begin with.

Yeah I imagine it's very liberating not being in the industry you had a bad experience in.

I was introduced to a new person at my job who said he heard of me from a place we both used to work at. I just had to grit my teeth and say "oh wow that's cool" and control myself from flying into a rant about how much of a scummy slave-labor grindhouse that other place was for the sake of professionalism.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

oddium posted:

No

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Zereth posted:

I found like 20 on the first planet. They're literally in every other container. Yeah you need a couple hundred of them to fully upgrade the MM but you were gonna open every chest anyway right?

If you think it's dumb or want to skip it just spawn some modules with the console.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Crimson Harvest posted:

I found like 20 on the first planet. They're literally in every other container. Yeah you need a couple hundred of them to fully upgrade the MM but you were gonna open every chest anyway right?

If you think it's dumb or want to skip it just spawn some modules with the console.

Yeah, tbf I haven't even left the solar system and I've upgraded multiple times. I have many complaints about the game, but upgrading the MM is actually pretty dang satisfying

EDIT: VVVVVVVVVV

nerdz posted:

Talking about your former workplace is unprofessional if it was a normal job and not this clown circus. There's a lot of former jobs I won't comment or comment positively, but I make sure to tell everyone about the dude who bought a benz when our payment was 2 months late.

Going to second this, it's not unprofesional to call a tire fire a tire fire.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 13, 2016

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Rhopunzel posted:

Talking about your former workplace is unprofessional if it was a normal job and not this clown circus. There's a lot of former jobs I won't comment or comment positively, but I make sure to tell everyone about the dude who bought a benz when our payment was 2 months late.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Crimson Harvest posted:

Apparently we've been pretty unlucky then as it took about 10 hours before we had 20 between us.

We've also played over 10 hours and I just finally got my first piece of tier 2 armor. For some hosed up reason you need wool cloth to build tungsten armor now and we've only found a couple of cotton seeds and each piece of wool cloth takes 3 cotton.

Random quests you get in villages are also limited to a single player. Whoever accepts it first gets the quest and gently caress your friends, they're too slow.

At this point we still have yet to unlock tech upgrades. I'm guessing it's gated in the main quest line. The second quest after the mining dungeon is one where you have to go scan items from Florans to learn more about them and each thing you scan has to be a specific type of item and gives you a small percentage of progress. That quest took us 3 planets and 2 Floran cities to complete.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Also, trees grow about 2-3x's faster than food crops (and wool)... Ugh.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

Apparently we've been pretty unlucky then as it took about 10 hours before we had 20 between us.

We've also played over 10 hours and I just finally got my first piece of tier 2 armor. For some hosed up reason you need wool cloth to build tungsten armor now and we've only found a couple of cotton seeds and each piece of wool cloth takes 3 cotton.

Random quests you get in villages are also limited to a single player. Whoever accepts it first gets the quest and gently caress your friends, they're too slow.

At this point we still have yet to unlock tech upgrades. I'm guessing it's gated in the main quest line. The second quest after the mining dungeon is one where you have to go scan items from Florans to learn more about them and each thing you scan has to be a specific type of item and gives you a small percentage of progress. That quest took us 3 planets and 2 Floran cities to complete.

Tech stuff comes from the Tech guy in the Outpost and isn't related to the main storyline as far as I have seen.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RandomBlue posted:

Also, trees grow about 2-3x's faster than food crops (and wool)... Ugh.

Do you still have to water trees or do they take care of themselves while you are off planet?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I like how you turn cotton into wool

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Man Whore posted:

I like how you turn cotton into wool

None of the developers have ever actually seen a farm.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I'm going to mod in a vegetable lamb of tartary so it makes sense.

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

RandomBlue posted:

At this point we still have yet to unlock tech upgrades. I'm guessing it's gated in the main quest line.

During the stream they did for 1.0, they said that progression doesn't require doing the story, so you can play it as a pure sandbox. So they said, anyway, I don't know the details myself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is it still going to be a massive pain in the rear end to upgrade your ship? I don't mind working for it, if that's a fun task, but goddamn :psyduck:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is it still going to be a massive pain in the rear end to upgrade your ship? I don't mind working for it, if that's a fun task, but goddamn :psyduck:

There are no fun tasks. I've completed the plot.

Ship upgrades are handled by paying pixels for the ship license and then handing the right number of upgrade modules to the shipwright.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

A resounding success and a very nice guy!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Welp, the first update to the game I get and it completely breaks it to the point that reinstalling the game did not fix it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I played Starbound.

It was a game.

One that I played.

That's my story.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I was thinking back on when starbound first hit EA. I managed to have fun with the sandbox. And then it just slowly spiraled into a garbage pile.

Why does tiy hate fun? Why does he hate the idea of making a good game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

grimcreaper posted:

I was thinking back on when starbound first hit EA. I managed to have fun with the sandbox. And then it just slowly spiraled into a garbage pile.

Why does tiy hate fun? Why does he hate the idea of making a good game?

Because he wants it to be a game for him and him alone

• Locked thread