Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fnox
May 19, 2013

A full transition to a military government would really, really, not sit well with nearly every ally that Venezuela has. I don't think they'd last very long if they attempted that.

On the other hand, let them. It's about time we had a proper excuse to hang the bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Where did all the oil money go?

A fund could have been established to feed every Venezuelan..

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah this does smell very coup-like to me.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baloogan posted:

Mansions, luxury cars, the usual.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Baloogan posted:

A nice chunk of it made its way into the pockets of private individuals who are connected to the government. The figure is hard to quantify, but you can ask any Venezuelan and they will give you anecdotes of people/cases they know involving individuals suddenly becoming extremely wealthy through a connection with some government official. I personally have first-hand knowledge of a person who served a multi-year prison sentence for a serious offence, and upon his/her return to Venezuela she/he got set up extremely nicely with multiple cars, apartments, and enough cash to set up really lucrative businesses because of a connection to the PSUV (I'm sorry for being vague, but I'd rather not give out too many details about this).

Aside from that money that just evaporated in private hands, at least $70 billion is sitting in bank accounts outside of the country, according to the Comptroller's Commission at the National Assembly. That's just the money that has been identified and traced back to Venezuela: think of how much more there is sitting in secret bank accounts who knows where, or tied up in real state or whatever around the world.

Some of the money would also have been given away to score political points through initiatives like PETROCARIBE.

Anyway, the figure I've heard thrown around is that Venezuela made something like $1 trillion over the last 17 years and this is what we've got to show for it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Why did the people let this happen?

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Baloogan posted:

How could they have stopped it?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Chuck Boone posted:

Vladimir Padrino Lopez is now officially more powerful than Maduro.

So you're basically a military dictatorship now?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
It's a 21st century dictatorship!

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Virtually 0 english results searching Google News for Maduro Lopez (but a lot of Spanish results).

Lacking serious coverage here in the US.

edit: from what I can glean from the spanish sources, seems like this guy is a big fan of Cuba's dictatorship and of Fidel Castro.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 12, 2016

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Boner Slaem posted:

I couldn't follow the threat until just recently.

Are the armies of Marxist/Communist Goons still here?
The ones who defended the Venezuelan policies so drat adamantly in 2013-2014 (while living, of course, comfortably abroad)?
I remember reading posts like: "Most things in Venezuela are actually much better than in capitalist countries, if it weren't for the active influence of the USA capitalists, Venezuela would literally be the most developed country on earth, which will happen as soon as Chavez etc all can implement more communism"?

Any reaction to the poo poo going on there now?
Is the argument still "well a market economy would be EVEN WORSE" combined with "What we need is MORE deprivatization and state control!!!"

Most of the useful idiots have quietly slunk off into the shadows. Borneo Jimmy usually shows up and shitposts for a day or two before getting probated for a while. The last couple of times he ate a 30 day, so I think the mods are getting fed up with him.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Baloogan posted:

I think it's at least partially due to the "Boiling Frog" effect.

By the end of the 1990s, Venezuelans were extremely disillusioned with the political order in the country. The inflation rate was high, there was lots of crime, and corruption was widespread. Chavez came in to the 1998 election as a political outsider who wanted to fundamentally change the way the country ran, so people voted him in.

Chavez built a cult of personality around himself, and partially because he was so popular every issue boiled down to "the people vs. the bad guys", with "the bad guys" being "anyone who doesn't agree with Chavez". Slowly over the years Chavez gave himself more and more power, because "the people", the Bolivarian revolution and the Venezuelan state were all embodied in him.

Before Chavez died, he named Maduro his successor. If you supported Chavez (and therefore the people, the Bolivarian revolution, and Venezuela) you support Maduro; if you don't support Maduro, you're an enemy of the people, the Bolivarian revolution, and Venezuela.

You can imagine that, slowly, gradually, with more and more power concentrated in the hands of a single person, you could end up in a situation like the one Venezuela is in now. In a sense, the people "let it happen" because they made it happen.

beer_war posted:

So you're basically a military dictatorship now?

I'm not sure what else we could call it.

CAMIMPEG is an organization that has complete control over "every activty related to oil, gas and mineral exploitation in general, without any limits". Oil and gas operations make up 95% of Venezuela's foreign income. The head of CAMIMPEG is the Minister of Defense. The Gran Mision Soberana de Abastecimiento Soberano puts "every institution of the state" and "every ministry and every minister" under the direct command of the Minister of Defense. In other words, virtually all of the country's income-earning potential, the entirety of the civil state and the armed forces are now under the command of the same person.

It sounds extreme but I think this is what's happened.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

fnox posted:

Today I saw some guy in Lund, Sweden, wearing a Hugo Chavez t-shirt.

These exist? Wow.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 12, 2016

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Here are some links on yesterday's announcement and a press conference Padrino Lopez gave earlier for anyone interested:

http://www.lapatilla.com/site/2016/07/12/militares-coordinan-desde-este-martes-la-distribucion-y-resguardo-de-alimentos-y-medicinas/

http://www.vtv.gob.ve/articulos/2016/07/11/pdte.-maduro-lanza-la-gran-mision-de-abastecimiento-soberano-y-seguro-2375.html

http://www.noticierodigital.com/2016/07/maduro-lanza-gran-mision-para-el-abastecimiento-soberano-y-seguro/

http://www.el-nacional.com/politica/Padrino-Lopez-militarizar-poner-disciplina_0_883111759.html

http://www.eluniversal.com/noticias/economia/intervencion-fan-economia-normalizara-abastecimiento_319025

This is part of what Padrino Lopez said during a press conference earlier today:

quote:

This isn't a military matter. I don't like militarism. This is about establishing a bit of discipline (...) we've occupied some ports and we've begun to visit some places - warehouses, private companies (...) This isn't an intervention, but if need be the state has all the resources to do it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

These exist? Wow.

Of course.

There are couple of styles to choose from, actually: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...+shirt&_sacat=0

fnox
May 19, 2013

Baloogan posted:

They were fooled to accept it, in short. Venezuela is the clearest demonstration on how to cheat democracy, a place that's at the same time autocratic, but considered to have clean elections, that's what the "pink tide" was all about.

GlyphGryph posted:

These exist? Wow.

There's of course t-shirts with this print, wearing one is also a surefire way to enrage me.

How many Chavez t-shirts do you all think that Borneo Jimmy owns?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
You used to see people wearing Chavez shirts all the time but now you only see them if they are going to one of those paid/forced rally gigs.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'm surprised he saw one in Sweden though, I've never ever seen one of those and I've lived in major cities all around the world. Che shirts? Not terrible uncommon. But Chavez shirts? I'm legitimately surprised they exist outside of Venezuela, even though I guess I shouldn't be. The guy just doesn't seem very t-shirt friendly!

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks, one of my Venezuelan ex-pat friends was saying "Well, at least someone else is now at the helm of this sinking ship".

fnox
May 19, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm surprised he saw one in Sweden though, I've never ever seen one of those and I've lived in major cities all around the world. Che shirts? Not terrible uncommon. But Chavez shirts? I'm legitimately surprised they exist outside of Venezuela, even though I guess I shouldn't be. The guy just doesn't seem very t-shirt friendly!

Hence the stencil, however that also looks loving terrible. Chavez fortunately doesn't have a very marketable face. People with little ability for critical thought tend to also have limited fashion sense however, so those shirts actually get sold.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The other big news from the past 24 hours is that Citibank announced that it was closing the Venezuelan government's account. The government used the account to pay financiers and suppliers, so now it's going to have a more difficult time doing that from a logistical standpoint.

The closure comes after Citibank did a "risk assessment" of its relationship with the country and said "Thanks, but no thanks!".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Venezuelan government, now less trustworthy than Mexican drug lords!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
1) ...Vladimir?

2) Jesus gently caress. Well, maybe it'll be a step up! That wouldn't be hard.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Venezuelan government, now less trustworthy than Mexican drug lords!

I'm sure HSBC will be their next port of call.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

GlyphGryph posted:

These exist? Wow.

Yeah. I have one, given to me as a gift by our ex-Chavista guide in Amazonas. Probably doesn't want to be seen wearing it if I were to guess. I wear it to the gym sometimes but haven't recently. It also says "CHAVISTA POR SIEMPRE" across the shoulders. I don't want to be "that guy" on the Tube getting confronted by a Venezuelan expat who had to deal with that so it mostly lives in the back of my t-shirt drawer.

I also have a "SOMOS LA FUERZA DE AMAZONAS" shirt which dates to the National Assembly elections last year. It looks and feels like those sweat-wicking super-porous running t-shirts but boy howdy it doesn't breathe one bit and clings to you like a motherfucker when you sweat. Aside from a literal reindeer skin suit, I can't think of anything worse to wear in Amazonas state. I nearly died wearing it for a whole day while surveying rock art sites along the Orinoco.

Edit, with photographic evidence

Vlex fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 13, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
The funny thing about that shirt is that Amazonas are currently the only state without representation in the National Assembly because the PSUV are loving scum who don't give a poo poo about the constitution.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
well the amazonas has a bunch of people pissed about the 24/7 traffic of cocaine from Colombia that includes quite the crime and odd people, along with the Venezuela military that support them, so best not to give them any rights as they will vote against.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.

El Hefe posted:

The funny thing about that shirt is that Amazonas are currently the only state without representation in the National Assembly because the PSUV are loving scum who don't give a poo poo about the constitution.

As a non-Venezuelan lurker, what's the story with this?

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Jygallax posted:

There was a parliamentary election last December. The PSUV got demolished, and the opposition won a super-majority (112 seats out of 167). Anyway, with a super-majority, the opposition had full access to every one of the National Assembly's legislative powers. There was nothing that the PSUV could do to stop any kind of reform the opposition would want to pass, including things like calling for a constituent assembly to create a new constitution, for example.

The PSUV couldn't live with that, so a few weeks after the election, the Supreme Court ruled that the three deputies from Amazonas state hadn't actually been elected because of some irregularity or another, so they were removed from their seats. The National Electoral Council (CNE) and the Supreme Court are supposed to be working the case, but no one's heard anything from either the court of the CNE since the ruling. The ruling was shady for all kinds of reasons, chief among them the fact that the election results were verified by the CNE as legitimate.

Now we're in July and Amazonas state is still without representatives at the National Assembly because the PSUV/TSJ didn't want the opposition to have the super-majority.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

El Hefe posted:

But as the Assembly is defacto no longer part of the government, nobody really has representation.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jygallax posted:

In short, the opposition won a supermajority by one seat that would have allowed them to actually change things. That is unacceptable of course, so the outgoing Assembly packed the TSJ (Venezuelan Supreme Court) which then proceeded to accept a challenge from the PSUV candidate for that seat. It then ruled that the election of the opposition member to that seat was to be annulled, thereby depriving the opposition of their supermajority and making them unable to overturn Maduro's vetoes. So that seat remains vacant because I guess there's no mechanism to fill the seat.

The discussion in the thread started here.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
It's Wednesday, and Maduro is doing his weekly show called En Contacto Con Maduro. I think it ends at about 9:00 PM EST.

If you want to know what it's like to live in a bad Twilight Zone episode, you can watch Maduro's live show here.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

El Hefe posted:

Well duh, the back of the shirt says "Chavista por siempre" too. No Chavistas were elected in Amazonas, ergo no representation. Checkmate imperialist lapdogs, shirts don't lie. :smugdog:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chuck Boone posted:

This is huge news. The entire cabinet and, in Maduro's words, "every institution of the state", is now under the command of the armed forces under Padrino Lopez. It's part of a new initiative the government is calling the Gran Mision de Abastesimiento Soberano [Great Sovereign Supply (or Stock) Mission", which is an initiative that's supposed to put the entire state working towards getting food and medicine back in stock.

Here's a clip from Maduro's speech last night when he announced this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58c_1biB_1Y

This move is all the more important because it follows the creation of CAMPIMPEG earlier this year. CAMIMPEG is a body that Maduro created earlier this year that puts 100% of all of the income coming from resource exploitation in the country under the command of the Minister of Defense via a board of directors that he hand-picks. The board of directors has 11 seats, and each one is filled by an active-duty member of the armed forces.

In short: virtually every cent that comes into Venezuela passes through the Ministry of Defense, and as of yesterday every institution of the state and the entire cabinet are under the command of the Ministry of Defense.

Vladimir Padrino Lopez is now officially more powerful than Maduro.

So is this a "good" thing or a bad thing. I assume its a junta now with maduro as figure head?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So is this a "good" thing or a bad thing. I assume its a junta now with maduro as figure head?

I mean it is something other than the status quo so it has that going for it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

I mean it is something other than the status quo so it has that going for it.

true. so whats maduros role now? I assume the military controls everything?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Maduro is the emperor and Padrino Lopez is now the shogun.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I just clicked on and heard Maduro shouting "Trabajo! Trabajo! Revolucion!" and some guys are holding up a Palestine scarf.

This is nuts.

The country is collapsing and here's a guy in olive fatigues rambling about world revolution.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Barudak posted:

so he is still in charge them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'd say that this is definitely not a good thing for a number of reasons:
  • I'm sure that this is an unprecedented move in the history of democratic Venezuela (going back to 1958). The Minister of Defense is not an elected official. He is a member of cabinet, although granted, a very important one since he's the head of the military. Still, giving him control over "every institution of the state" is just as serious as it sounds. The Venezuelan government is now co-controlled by the President of the Republic and the Minister of Defense. I don't know know how this arrangement is supposed to work. There's no space in the Venezuelan constitution for this kind of arrangement. We're in uncharted territory.

• I don't know a whole lot about Vladimir Padrino Lopez, but as a career officer he probably knows as much about economics as you or I do. The Gran Mision de Abasto Soberano is essentially an economic initiative, since its goal is to somehow get food and other products produced, imported, and put on store shelves. How an army officer and the military are supposed to do that is beyond me.
There are a lot of conspiracy theories swirling about what this all means. I read an article in La Patilla earlier where the author argued that this could be a kind of scare tactic for the opposition in order to get them to give up on the referendum. The author's thinking is that by having Padrino as the de facto second-in-command (above the VP), removing Maduro from office would put him in Miraflores, if the referendum takes place next year which is that the PSUV is hoping to do. Another theory is that this is Maduro's way of paying off Padrino and the army to help him stay in power, if even just as a figurehead.

In short, there are lots of reasons why this is happening, and I don't think any one of them is good.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so he is still in charge them?

It's hard to say. I think the answer is "yes", but like I said, this is so unprecedented that it's difficult to say with certainty.

I think that the way that Maduro introduced this announcement last night is really telling. When he was making the announcement, he set it up by saying, "this crisis needs a unified command, a single command", as if to say, "one person in charge". And that one person in charge turns out to be Maduro... and Padrino? Together? But they're two people, so what was Maduro talking about when he introduced this measure out of a necessity for a single, unified command? I may be reading too much into it, but it sounds like Maduro gave away that there's only one person in charge, but I don't think I know which one it is.

Barudak posted:

Haha! This is great! This is petty much it.