Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

A question that I'm not having much luck finding a answer Googling because I get a lot of irrelevant results - can I run my fireplace burning wood or smokeless fuel while my bird is in the room? Pretty much everything goes straight up the chimney but I didn't run it last winter just in case. My house is pretty small so unfortunately I don't have another room to put him in while the fire is burning but his cage is over the other side of the room about 10ft away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Caught a Wheezing floating by a coworker's butt. He's a goon, even.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Time to download this game just for pics of Pokemon next to birds

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~
Any suggestions about pinfeathers on a conure's head? My little guy isn't too keen about me trying to rub them for him...I am making sure I'm trying mature ones that stick out past normal feathers of course.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Rub feathers, bit fingat, repeat.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Noxville posted:

A question that I'm not having much luck finding a answer Googling because I get a lot of irrelevant results - can I run my fireplace burning wood or smokeless fuel while my bird is in the room? Pretty much everything goes straight up the chimney but I didn't run it last winter just in case. My house is pretty small so unfortunately I don't have another room to put him in while the fire is burning but his cage is over the other side of the room about 10ft away.

If it's for decoration, I'd say no. If it's for heat, you can if you must, but bear in mind birds are much more sensitive to carbon monoxide and smoke than we are. If you need to heat your room/house I'd suggest you get an oil heater as they're pretty much 100% bird safe. Most folks tend to avoid ceramic heaters because they often contain teflon.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That photo reminded me to check my phone and VOILA

welcome to bird central Pidgey.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I'm headed to the UK tomorrow for a currently unknown length of time and I'm gonna miss the feathery assholes :(

Also a little worried since my partner might be headed elsewhere for a week at some point before I get back, so birds are going to get boarded again. We decided not to bother with the vet we used the last few times-maybe at Christmas if there's no other option we might consider it, but not now, after how things went

Mr.Boofu posted:

Any suggestions about pinfeathers on a conure's head? My little guy isn't too keen about me trying to rub them for him...I am making sure I'm trying mature ones that stick out past normal feathers of course.

Get a concrete perch, place it vertically near a perch where he regularly hangs out, he'll rub his beak and hopefully head on it. Or get a branch with an offshoot and point that upwards so they'll rub on that. Also baths help!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Is this one of those shiny pidgeys

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mr.Boofu posted:

Ama doesn't like it if I pinch or rub his pins. He likes/doesn't mind it if I press a fingernail against it and drag my finger though (I can't think of a better way to describe it, sorry). The casing breaks and I can keep stroking with my nail until all the little bits fall away.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Guys. Guys.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scientists-strap-fake-dinosaur-tail-on-chickens-to-discover-how-t-rex-walked-video-9117384.html

Holy poo poo :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Some zoo birbs

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I see even wild Greys are massive assholes.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love the line of conures :3:

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Oh hey Mookie, whatcha got there?

Gingersnaps are the new favorite snack, looks like.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I went to visit the pet shop after work again to look at cute birds. Two of the cockatiels are gone, leaving only the most raggedy grey one (who is understandably looking even more mopey). They've got a bunch more budgies in though. I can still recognise some of the old ones (blue face and white face who love preening each other, two identical blue guys who hate each other, TINIEST BABBU, slightly larger babbu who is terrified/entranced by my phone, little red-eye budge, etc. They are all very talkative and playing with each other and their stuff, but they still make me sad because too many of them have crusty snouts/overgrown toenails/etc and there's too many of them really for an enclosure that size. I mean it's nowhere near "call the RSPCA and shut this poo poo down", just regular common/garden petshop budge conditions. But they should have a nicer home dammit :saddowns:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Old man likes gingersnaps, not surprising

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I love cockies. Their eyes are cold black voids from which nothing can escape and they emote with their dinosaur hairdo.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I love cockies. Their eyes are cold black voids from which nothing can escape and they emote with their dinosaur hairdo.

And they look like they are made out of marshmallows and clouds :3:

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

E: ^^^^ Oh my god

I like having a 'too, it's kind of like having a super-sized potato bird.

The freaky pneumatic mohawk is useful for judging relative insanity levels, since the cold, dark voids give away nothing.

Mookie has decided that he really likes snuggling, but currently refuses to be held. We're nothing if not problem solvers, though. I'll see if I can get a picture soonish, but it's tough to do when I've got half my torso in his cage.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 12, 2016

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shirec posted:

And they look like they are made out of marshmallows and clouds :3:

:kimchi:

Now with soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6UGjqIvPMY

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Cockatoos are actually super emotive, aside from the battle banner on their head. Eye shape, feather puffiness in the mustache/cheek/right along the cere/neck, posture and movement, head angle, and voice give them a really big range of expression. I'm sure other parrot species have their own way of communicating, but Teeka can express quite a wide range of things.

It's why I get bit probably like once every other year, because he can tell me when he doesn't like something and after years of learning how he says things, it's really quite obvious. I dunno, I find it very rewarding.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Borb update: Raddy wants to be with mango very desperately. Mango has started to sing. and in the flight Blue the budgie is sitting on five eggs and we have worked out what's going wrong with the cocktails, it's the male not the females so tricks are being played on the elderly male so he thinks it's his eggs while young male goes in the naughty shed. Red rumps are now clearly T's favourites and he's trying to hand tame them, it is not going well, but he seems happy to be repeatedly bitten.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Noxville posted:

I have no idea what smokeless fuel is, but my bird was okay in a home with a wood stove for a few months (we didn't have anywhere else to go). I'm more worried about the theoretical additives that are maybe in smokeless fuel? I'd find a permanent solution that doesn't involve burning things, but in the short run I wouldn't freeze myself to death over it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Eejit posted:

Cockatoos are actually super emotive, aside from the battle banner on their head. Eye shape, feather puffiness in the mustache/cheek/right along the cere/neck, posture and movement, head angle, and voice give them a really big range of expression. I'm sure other parrot species have their own way of communicating, but Teeka can express quite a wide range of things.

It's why I get bit probably like once every other year, because he can tell me when he doesn't like something and after years of learning how he says things, it's really quite obvious. I dunno, I find it very rewarding.

I know greys are the go-to parrot when discussing bird smarts but cockatoos have always struck me as an embodiment of avian, alien intelligence. They have this way of moving their eyes when they're studying something that gives me these intense vibes of an animal far smarter than it should be that's carefully measuring and considering the things/events around it. It's hard to explain but you probably get what I mean.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Cockatoos study and learn things so they just have fun 24/7.

Greys study and learn so they figure out how to murder you in your sleep.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I know greys are the go-to parrot when discussing bird smarts but cockatoos have always struck me as an embodiment of avian, alien intelligence. They have this way of moving their eyes when they're studying something that gives me these intense vibes of an animal far smarter than it should be that's carefully measuring and considering the things/events around it. It's hard to explain but you probably get what I mean.

I love your new av!! Smart birds are so fascinating to be around, watching them figure things out and anticipate you
Kiwi and Sammy posts ahoy-hoy

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Cockatoos study and learn things so they just have fun 24/7.

Greys study and learn so they figure out how to murder you in your sleep.

About that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ37X1hjXiw

:cawg:

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Eejit posted:

Well yeah, you're absolutely right on all counts. I enjoy poking fun at my psychotic mohawked marshmallow, though.

I clocked out at 48 seconds. Deafness is the only way I can imagine getting through all three minutes. Mookie apparently shares my intolerance of juvenile whining, judging by the poofed hiss I got.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
All the wild birds in Australia do that. Baby magpies are the worst.

I'm fairly sure thats why they swoop, cause they got harassed by people as babies for being so dang irritating.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Baby cockatoos are so annoying I once saw a parent cockatoo fly to another branch of the same tree, just so the baby wouldn't be able to pester it.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Baby rainbow lorikeets sound like a rusty gate.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
yeah the noise baby magpies make isn't the worst, but if their parents are friendly they come right up to you

i had one come sit next to my head while i was under a car, supporting a diff with my chest, trying to get the driveshafts to line up, and demand food. no go away

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Fresh from the 90s... BIRDS WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMOrxPxULMQ

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:kimchi:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

the dumb little blink always gets me :3:

Shirec posted:

I love your new av!!

Thanks! :D I'll probably go back to smug Ama eventually but I wanted a change. also your birds are so cute ugghh

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

good bird

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

In the UK at the moment and apparently birds have been relocated to another room, so now Ohtori is on one side and Steve and Inko are on the other, next to each other. Wonder how they're going to take that-part of the shared side is covered on Steve's cage as a chill out spot but they can still see each other. They also now are against a shared wall so hopefully they won't be too loud or the neighbours won't care too much

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Thanks! :D I'll probably go back to smug Ama eventually but I wanted a change. also your birds are so cute ugghh

It's really good, to the point where I want a giant Ohtori avatar (though I still love my current one and text, thank you again random goon)

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So is this a thread where I can ask what to do about a juvenile kind of bird I found today in my parking lot? It was kind of huddled near my front tyre so I went to shoo it away, thinking it would fly off, but it just pooped itself and hobbled away that little hoppy way birds do, but not very speedily. I had to get to a meeting so off I went since I figured I wouldn't run it over and as I left it was just sitting there kind of looking at the sun. I got to thinking if it can't fly and it's out of a nest, it can't really get food for itself and get the strength to fly can it? I've always heard that line about how you ought not to touch birds lest their mom forgets them but I think I also heard that was bullshit. Im thinking I should go back and if it's still there, buy it a cage and maybe feed it until it's strong enough to fly on its own, but is that a stupid idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

pathetic little tramp posted:

So is this a thread where I can ask what to do about a juvenile kind of bird I found today in my parking lot? It was kind of huddled near my front tyre so I went to shoo it away, thinking it would fly off, but it just pooped itself and hobbled away that little hoppy way birds do, but not very speedily. I had to get to a meeting so off I went since I figured I wouldn't run it over and as I left it was just sitting there kind of looking at the sun. I got to thinking if it can't fly and it's out of a nest, it can't really get food for itself and get the strength to fly can it? I've always heard that line about how you ought not to touch birds lest their mom forgets them but I think I also heard that was bullshit. Im thinking I should go back and if it's still there, buy it a cage and maybe feed it until it's strong enough to fly on its own, but is that a stupid idea?

I wouldn't bother it. Unless it's just a ball of fluff (in which case there's nothing you can do), it's a fledgling, and likely has parents in the area that come by to feed it.