Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

jadebullet posted:

So I hear that D.Va got a buff in the PTS. Just wondering, what did they do to her, as she and junkrat are my main character choices, and I love using D.Va as a backfield harrasser.

ult was buffed and her shield was reworked so it's now toggled on and off whenever you want and charges gradually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Her ult takes a second less to detonate, and you can no longer be killed by your own ult.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dva did not improve in the role of "backfield harrasser" (aka Useless Chaos Dva) really, her changes made her role as a tank more firm and also her ult change helps her in team fights more than flanking.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's pretty goddamn cool they're letting you playtest the patch before it actually launches.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Countblanc posted:

(aka Useless Chaos Dva)

Hey, when I get behind the entire enemy team on a KOTH map and systematically kill their healers and screw with the enemy team because they are all looking the wrong direction on the cap, I would hardly call it useless. :P

By backfield, I mean more just immediately behind the enemy team.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Dva did not improve in the role of "backfield harrasser" (aka Useless Chaos Dva) really, her changes made her role as a tank more firm and also her ult change helps her in team fights more than flanking.

Agreed. Her boost just feels loving weird now with how powerful Defensive Matrix is. The biggest pain-in-the-rear end D.Vas I've faced tonight have been the ones acting like Reinhardt and sitting at a choke keeping their team safe behind their invincible shield.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

jadebullet posted:

Hey, when I get behind the entire enemy team on a KOTH map and systematically kill their healers and screw with the enemy team because they are all looking the wrong direction on the cap, I would hardly call it useless. :P

By backfield, I mean more just immediately behind the enemy team.

I wouldn't call it useless either, but, then again, what you're describing is a fantasy scenario

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
So a neat tidbit is that Ana's voice actress is actually Egyptian, like recorded straight out of Cairo.

Good on Blizzard for putting in some actual effort.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Realtalk, comp was a shitshow even before hero limits were implemented, or maybe people think it's great fun to spend 30 minutes on a game where half the losing team quits midway through and everybody gets a fraction of an inch of progress, or where junior MLG pro all-stars have histrionic meltdowns in voicechat over team composition while instalocking Hanzo. The idea that competitive is somehow on this higher level of effort and skill than quick play is now is frankly pretty laughable. Maybe when you get into the 70+ range with Actual Literal Pro-Gamers it's better but by all accounts anything below that is just as much of a crapshoot as quick play's ever been, only with the added benefit of extra-long game rounds and saltier players.

This is true.

I get better quality games through quick play than I do comp. Last night I decided to do one to see if things got better, and on the first round of Gibraltar my entire team sits in the rafters and with me being the only one trying to keep the payload from moving. The game ended up going in our favor after I switched to Winston as the enemy team was also garbage and didn't know how to deal with him. We won, I got a lot of rank EXP, but really didn't want to go and do that again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Her ult takes a second less to detonate, and you can no longer be killed by your own ult.

I will miss all of the free eliminations I've got from d.vas killing themselves with their ults

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Good on blizzard for getting in touch with one of the billion Egyptians, I guess.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Night Blade posted:

This is true.

I get better quality games through quick play than I do comp. Last night I decided to do one to see if things got better, and on the first round of Gibraltar my entire team sits in the rafters and with me being the only one trying to keep the payload from moving. The game ended up going in our favor after I switched to Winston as the enemy team was also garbage and didn't know how to deal with him. We won, I got a lot of rank EXP, but really didn't want to go and do that again.

Is there any point to playing competitive if it's literally impossible for me to play enough before the season ends to earn a golden gun?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you get a bonus at the end for competing I think, and as long as you don't lose your comp money at the end of the season, you're still making progress towards a golden gun

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Manatee Cannon posted:

you get a bonus at the end for competing I think, and as long as you don't lose your comp money at the end of the season, you're still making progress towards a golden gun

You mean the comp money will roll over into next season?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Listerine posted:

I'm almost sure it will, though I'd laugh if it didn't.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Listerine posted:

Don't even joke like that

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

PerrineClostermann posted:

Don't even joke like that

I'm honestly asking, all I have to go on is the only other Blizzard game I play, Diablo 3, where new seasons are fresh.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why in the holy hell would they NOT have the comp money rolling over into the next season? It's 300 goddamned points for each gun

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if they want it to feel like a reward that only really good/persistent players will ever achieve. I'm fine with it if I'm never able to get a golden gun and it'd certainly be an easy indicator of when you should be worried about a specific player. I'd be a little surprised if they don't role over into the next season tho

Listerine posted:

I meant that if your money rolls over, you'll be guaranteed a gun eventually

if it doesn't then yea the only way to do it outside of winning 300 matches legit is to hope the end of season bonus is big enough for you

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Kaplan has mentioned that only the top players are going to be getting a big enough payout at the end to buy a golden gun, so a lack of roll over would basically kill competitive.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Anyone have reports on the new 21:9 ratio support? Does it give you a wider FOV than the default 16:9 or just truncate the top and bottom of the screen?

Came here to ask this, but this question got buried by a bunch of pages of other stuff. Anyone tried this? I've been playing in 16:9 borderless window on a 16:10 because there is noticable difference in visual information playing in the wider aspect ratio, so I can only assume that at 21:9 they are going to get this same increase in FOV that was available apparently in the closed beta:

I didn't plan on buying an ultra-wide, but I'm not above playing with seriously fat letterboxing if it'll give me an FOV I prefer in my FPS games. This "103" (which feels closer to 85 or less) is not wide enough. If they make this extra visibility on the sides available to super monitors, I hope they allow some off the wall 21:9 resolutions for 16:9 and 10 monitors that we can use in borderless.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gimnbo posted:

Kaplan has mentioned that only the top players are going to be getting a big enough payout at the end to buy a golden gun, so a lack of roll over would basically kill competitive.

I thought that what he said was that only the best players will get a golden gun before the payout?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is it really playtesting on the PTR when teams are 5/6 Ana on both sides so you have no idea how she actually plays against real teams though?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Essobie posted:

Came here to ask this, but this question got buried by a bunch of pages of other stuff. Anyone tried this?

Doesn't work. It just crops top and bottom.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Verranicus posted:

Is it really playtesting on the PTR when teams are 5/6 Ana on both sides so you have no idea how she actually plays against real teams though?

You could queue for Comp. Mode so there's only 1 Ana per side. Not like your rating will matter on PTR.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Manatee Cannon posted:

I thought that what he said was that only the best players will get a golden gun before the payout?

Can't find the post to confirm, but I found something more relevant to the conversation:

quote:

Not a huge fan of the golden guns so I wondered if I could save incase next season has a really cool reward or if I should find a skin worth getting because the points will disappear before next season?

quote:

Competitive Points only go away when you spend them.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Verranicus posted:

It is if you join us for the goon in-houses tomorrow, where we'll be playing on the PTR to test the new changes in real team scenarios!

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I thought McCree was supposed to counter quick, squishy offensive Heroes, why is Blizzard trying to turn him into a slightly better/worse 76.

edit:

In other news
https://gfycat.com/GrimyMenacingAfricanaugurbuzzard
VERY fast omnic running at incredible hihg speed

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 13, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's pretty goddamn cool they're letting you playtest the patch before it actually launches.

That's standard for Blizzard games.

Semper Fudge posted:

So a neat tidbit is that Ana's voice actress is actually Egyptian, like recorded straight out of Cairo.

:reject:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Semper Fudge posted:

They did the same for Mei, with an actress recording the lines in a studio in China. I think they wanted to do it right this time, especially, since they caught a bit of flak for Pharah's VA.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Vermain posted:

They did the same for Mei, with an actress recording the lines in a studio in China. I think they wanted to do it right this time, especially, since they caught a bit of flak for Pharah's VA.

To be fair Pharah , Lucio and Reinhardt were the only VA's the kinda "cheaped out" on, almost everyone else's VA actually was from that country and speaks the character's native tongue (well Mercy's VA is German not Swiss but still). Genji's VA learned English as his second language not long before getting hired by Blizzard actually.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress you if you want 21:9 or greater than 103 FOV

quote:

We do not plan to increase the max FOV beyond 103, in any resolution. As a result, this doesn't leave us with a lot of options for 21:9 support. I know this is not the answer our 21:9 players want to hear. But we feel like it would be unfair to 16:10 and 16:9 players if 21:9 gave a substantial FOV advantage.

Whether they'll comment on the frame/refresh rate advantage they do support remains to be seen.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think I remember some complaints about Torbjorn's VA, not that I'd know what a Swede sounds like

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've mostly just heard complaints about junkrat and tracer

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Orange Crush Rush posted:

To be fair Pharah , Lucio and Reinhardt were the only VA's the kinda "cheaped out" on, almost everyone else's VA actually was from that country and speaks the character's native tongue (well Mercy's VA is German not Swiss but still). Genji's VA learned English as his second language not long before getting hired by Blizzard actually.

It is kind of odd that those 3 are the only ones who don't do their enemy side ult callout in their native language, now that you mention it. Maybe there's some backstory lore reason like they were actually raised in an English speaking country or something? Except, you know, overwatch lore lol.

Edit:

Nihilarian posted:

I think I remember some complaints about Torbjorn's VA, not that I'd know what a Swede sounds like

Oh yeah I guess Torb too. But I mean really, he's just a dwarf from fantasy land no matter what they say, so...

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Not sure why people are surprised they're not adding options for a tiny fraction of players with monitors bigger than makes any drat sense.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Also to be fair, Reinhardt's VA knocks it out of the fuckin park, he makes an already fun character way more fun.

ils
Jan 22, 2001
I love that Mercy actually got a decent buff on PTR. I barely notice the increased Resurrect charge time. The first one comes a little later, but after that, no sweat.

Bastion/S76/Pharah are monsters when damage boosted now.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Also to be fair, Reinhardt's VA knocks it out of the fuckin park, he makes an already fun character way more fun.

And he's one of Blizzard's regular go-to guys. He's like five Hearthstone cards including the once beloved and feared Grim Patron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Verranicus posted:

Not sure why people are surprised they're not adding options for a tiny fraction of players with monitors bigger than makes any drat sense.

Look how wrong this man is.