Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
Few things I got at swaps and record stores

His Hero is Gone
Wolves in the Throne Room debut reissue
Alice Coltrane & Pharaoh Sanders
Jean-Claude Vannier & Gary Higgins reissues
Also grabbed a sealed copy of Cluster & Eno - Old Lands but didn't realize it's just a comp of the two records they did together which I already have, so didn't open it yet.
Cheap stuff from a garage sale or in dollar bins

Dance Calypso! on Cook(1950s green vinyl)
Serge Gainsbourg
Blasters
Patti Smith
Tom Waits
Art Bergman
Marvin Gaye
Home
Billy Cobham
John Cale
Mashmakhan
Buchanan Brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Very nice haul

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm looking for a compact turntable and don't want to add a lot of space for a bulky receiver and speakers. Would it be total folly to get one of those small suitcase turntables with the built-in speakers? I see there are a number of modern ones out, but I don't want USB and all that, just ability to play vinyl, all-analog is great. And extra-compact is fine since basically my whole collection is 7" anyway.

Should I get one of those small all-in-one turntables? And if so should I just get a basic new one, or get a vintage one and replace the needle and drive band?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I don't think there are any good new ones (well, for cheap and that don't have a bunch of features you don't want). I would go see what they have at Breakaway (I am friends with Josh and Gabe who own it, full disclosure) or check out what they have in the front room of Austin Stereo Service on Burnet.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
How "compact" do you need it and does it need built-in speakers? The basic Audio-Technica with no USB is pretty nice, it's what I have: https://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-...hnica+turntable

You'd still need a receiver for it though. Vintage ones from a yard sale or Craiglist or whatever would be fine, I have like three of them and none were over $20-30, and older receivers don't even need a pre-amp. Then it's just a matter of getting speakers but speakers can be as cheap or expensive as you want. If you get a vintage turntable with built-in speakers just don't get something that looks like it's meant to play Fisher-Price records, use your best judgement.

And as always, don't get a Crosley.

VV If you don't care about the ceramic needle basically erasing your records (and/or you don't even play them that often to begin with) then you can get whatever. I just heard that Crosleys will eat through the records of anybody who plays their records more than a dozen times, but take that with a grain of salt I guess

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 8, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'll have to check them out locally then, thanks!

I take it the Crosley, Electrohome and all the similar new ones sold on Amazon are garbage no matter how many buyer ratings they have? EDIT: more serious reviews say that the tracking weight on the Crosley is huge and non-adjustable, not good for collectibles.

I don't need anything amazing, just some way to play my 7" and not devote a lot of space to what's a minor side hobby for me (collecting 7" records of local hardcore/street/Oi! music when I travel)

EDIT: if most of the suitcase-type are damaging garbage, I have an SL-1200 back in VA I can have my cousin ship me, and just googling around I see there are pre-amps that are pretty tiny compared to the 30lb monster I had before. Even though the SL takes up a lot of shelf space, it might be worth it if I can actually run a decent settup that way, but it does seem pretty large for just playing 7". Are there any compact non-digital-capable turntables worth owning that are under $300 or so? Or just stick with the SL?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 8, 2016

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Ceramic carts are garbage, but I have a soft spot for old Califone education-grade players. :3:

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!
I would say to make sure you can adjust the tracking force with whatever turntable you get. Besides the ceramic carts, the crosley all in ones tend to put a lot of downforce on the record, further chewing it up.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was gonna pick up the Neon Demon soundtrack at the local record store today, but...

gently caress Buttons :hellyeah:

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Picked up some cheap stuff and finally got a copy of the Monty Python Matching Tie and handkerchief album. The one where side 2 has 2 parallel grooves. Hooray for clever or interesting record pressing ideas!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I keep seeing that album but I want the tie too.....

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I ffound these two circle takes the square records for a dollar each at a sidewalk sale lol

I also got these two things from the best record store on the east coast

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Chill Callahan posted:

I ffound these two circle takes the square records for a dollar each at a sidewalk sale lol

That's a real good album imo

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
My receiver finally got repaired so I celebrated by buying Whipped Cream.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

For the last five years or so I always had my fingers crossed hoping that this would pop up at one of my local stores and today was that day.

...two months before Light in the Attic reissues their entire discography. I just couldn't wait. :cripes:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 10, 2016

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I was going through flea markets and found the soundtrack for Emmanuelle.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
How do you clean records? My mine craft album is acting up.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

rear end Catchcum posted:

Use a diamond pickaxe, the stone one will just tear your record to shreds.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

rear end Catchcum posted:

put your penis in the hole

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

For real though use a record sweeping brush and if it's still too noisy you'll need to build a record cleaning machine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Boinks posted:

For real though use a record sweeping brush and if it's still too noisy you'll need to build a record cleaning machine.

The best advice I always give to people who ask me questions about collecting records is to do anything else at all with their lives.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

The best advice I always give to people who ask me questions about collecting records is to do anything else at all with their lives.

That's great advice for collecting almost anything.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I put my records in the dishwasher.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Anaranjado posted:

My receiver finally got repaired so I celebrated by buying Whipped Cream.

But did you get any records?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Boinks posted:

That's great advice for collecting almost anything.

Yeah, I read comic books too and I give the same advice for that.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
There's a handful of records on Amazon's Prime Day deals (you have to search for "vinyl"). The only one that interested me was the Red/Blue Matrix Score, which is down to $20.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Chill Callahan posted:

i really want their sherwin williams / cover teh earth shirt, i think its looooong gone

got a bunch of junk over the weekend, these two made it though

super clean og mono

and

i love catalog books, this one just happens to be like aimed right at me. great to flip through like got it, need it, heard it, never seen it, got it, etc etc etc. the euro and private press sections are pretty good, too.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

lu_ducky posted:

I shouldn't have cheaped on the shipping for that Verocai release. I will now enjoy my split seam up top and a nice bend on the back right. :sweatdrop:

Yeah, mine showed up and was in pretty rough shape too. The actual album plays fine though, so all is good in the world.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Does anyone know where I could get Lemon Jelly's Lemon Jelly.ky for a reasonable price? The Discogs prices are just silly.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -