Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

everyone drafting seems more hip to the fancies this year so i adjusted my rankings a little. i'm not sure if duclair would have lasted til the middle of next round or if he would have gone before my next pick came up but i'm not risking it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I would've grabbed Duke if I was around for my pick. Or Vatanen. For my pick, I will grab ... Henrik Lundqvist.

Otis Reddit fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 12, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure furnaceface is skipped and tofes can pick whenever.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Duclair kicks rear end, I think he's a 30-30-60 player within two years. Maybe next.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
We take Ondrej Palat

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Nice pick, I was wondering when he'd go.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Boo Im at work and you jerks moved so slow yesterday I thought Id be fine until my lunch.

No big writeup for this one until I get home but Calgary takes Corey Crawford because consistent goaltending is underrated.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Boo Im at work and you jerks moved so slow yesterday I thought Id be fine until my lunch.

look at this fool who isn't tracking everyone's average time taken per pick. if you aren't ahead you're behind

Menamino is up, followed by JoelJoel and Yaya

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I'll take Chris Tanev, there are sexier picks out there and more points available but I figure I'll need someone who can actually play defense with really good fancies on a solid contract

JoelJoel is up

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Sad to see Tanev go. One of the best penalty killers in the game and I was really hoping people would sleep on him. He's the kind of defenseman Edmonton thinks Adam Larsson is.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yeah Tanev rules. I really hope the D I want doesn't get picked but I don't go for another 30+ picks and its almost a guarantee he will.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dallas Stars select Ryan Ellis.

Stuck behind Weber his whole career he's never really had a chance to shine at a top pairing guy. That's all going to change with Weber out of the picture.

the habs did what? Hahaha. No seriously? HAHAHHHAAHAhHhahahah.

Anyway, he's got great fancies and puts up great numbers. Doesn't get a ton of PP time, which won't change next season (hahhahhha), but he's a first unit guy on most teams. Suuper friendly 2.5 AAV deal for another 3 season of his prime.

IMO an absolute steal at this point in the draft. He also scores huge in the number one playoff statistic:

beeeeeard

On deck:

Yaya
Dandy Kaiser
Infidel Castro

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
The Edmonton Oilers get their first line Left Winger in James van Riemsdyk. Dandy Kaiser is up

A lot like Phil Kessel in the regard that he's done a lot with the very little he's gotten in Toronto. I expect him to thrive alongside Thornton.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

JVR is real good but always injured. Ellis was a good pick, especially with that contract.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ryan Ellis is really good and nothing like what he was projected to be coming out of junior (small 1 dimensional offenseman).

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
If I'm under the cap floor toward the end, can I draft gay cadaver ankles

edit: n/m realized we're drafting 23. for some reason, I thought we were just doing a starting line-up. Can't wait to get Pronger AND Datsyuk.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 12, 2016

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I was flipping through my girlfriend's yearbook the other day and discovered that she went to high school with both Taylor Hall and Ryan Ellis. She had some idea that they went onto play hockey, but had no idea they were any good. Apparently Taylor Hall was exactly as big a douche as he seems and would regularly change in the hallway for some reason and was a giant show off. Also he'd apparently try (and fail) to date multiple women at once because he thought he was the poo poo. Ryan Ellis was apparently completely invisible. Neither of them graduated.

That is my NHLers in high school story.

i am the bird posted:

edit: n/m realized we're drafting 23. for some reason, I thought we were just doing a starting line-up. Can't wait to get Pronger AND Datsyuk.

How would you even get a starting lineup above the cap floor? The cap floor is $54M this year. Six guys would have to make an average of $9M per to reach that.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

i am the bird posted:

Hahaha look at this guy thinking we were almost done

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

I was flipping through my girlfriend's yearbook the other day and discovered that she went to high school with both Taylor Hall and Ryan Ellis. She had some idea that they went onto play hockey, but had no idea they were any good. Apparently Taylor Hall was exactly as big a douche as he seems and would regularly change in the hallway for some reason and was a giant show off. Also he'd apparently try (and fail) to date multiple women at once because he thought he was the poo poo. Ryan Ellis was apparently completely invisible. Neither of them graduated.

That is my NHLers in high school story.

How would you even get a starting lineup above the cap floor? The cap floor is $54M this year. Six guys would have to make an average of $9M per to reach that.

I meant starting line-up as in 18 skaters/2 goalies (and not the 23 we're drafting), in which case drafting a nonexistent dude would gently caress my roster completely.

Like, obv starting lineup was the wrong choice of words in hindsight, but also, I'm an idiot.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ryan Ellis is great and gently caress Nashville's D is incredible

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
OPPOSING GOALIES TREMBLE IN FEAR

SAN JOSE SHARKS SELECT

CHRIS KREIDER

:killdozer:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kreider had a really down year last year but I expect him to bounce back and score more points and kill more goalies again.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'm just excited about the prospect of Kreider and Larkin on the same team, being all fast and poo poo

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Kreider had a really down year last year but I expect him to bounce back and score more points and kill more goalies again.

The last thing Lundqvist needs is another of his teammates trying to injure him

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Infidel Castro has 15 minutes or so left, I think?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I'm here, just having a hell of a time trying to decide who I want to take.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Okay, had a bitch of a time deciding even what position I wanted most but in the end the Flyers will poach another Fancycat forward and selects Right Wing Reilly Smith

Reilly Smith
Pos: Right Wing
Contract: $3,425,000 in 2016-17, $5,000,000/yr from 2017-18 through 2021-22

Reilly gets traded a lot. First he gets sent to Boston from Dallas in the Tyler Seguin trade, then he gets shipped down to Florida as a thank you gift for taking Marc Savard's contract. Good thing Florida knows what they're doing, because Smith looks like he's finally developed the offensive constancy he was looking for in Boston. In 2015-16 Smith put up 25/25/50 and showed the puck possession skills of a top-line winger. Granted, he was playing on the second line in Sunrise, but Florida's second line (which included Trocheck :v: )was one of the best in the NHL. On top of his offesive skills, Smith is a solid defender who can work on the PK unit.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 13, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm going with REJUVENATED left wing Jonathan Drouin

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i am the bird posted:

I'm going with REJUVENATED left wing Jonathan Drouin

great pick you jerk rear end bitch

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I thought Drouin would fall another round.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

Okay, had a bitch of a time deciding even what position I wanted most but in the end the Flyers will poach another Fancycat forward and selects Right Wing Reilly Smith

Oh goddamn it I was trying to figure out which of he and Kreider were more likely to make it around the turn

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

poo poo. This is who I was trying to think of earlier for my pick when I was at work but just couldnt come up with his name.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I thought Drouin would fall another round.

I wasn't quite sure. It's hard to project what'll happen with the 50 picks in between my two drafts.

VJeff is up

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

VJeff is getting smacked down with the dreaded double skip, i am the bird is up

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm going to grab Matt Niskanen

Drouin-McDavid-???
???-Draisaitl-???

Muzzin-Niskanen

Hrm.

VJeff still up and now Infidel Castro as well

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 13, 2016

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

The Denver Post classified ads posted:

25 year-old underappreciated defenceman with great offensive talent looking for perfect partner on top line. Must be left-handed, able to shut down opposing forwards with their size, while still having solid pssesion numbers.

A match made in heaven.

Oscar Klefbom
Pos: Defence
Contract: $4,167,000/yr through 2022-23

It's the 5th round and if I'm gonna draft a guy who can be a legitimate top pairing guy, I have to take a risk. In this case, it's injury. Kelfbom's 2015-16 season was riddled with bad luck. First he breaks a knuckle right around the holidays, then when it looks like he's ready to come back he develops a staph infection in his ankle. The positive ion this is this shouldn't be too much of an indicator that Klefbom is injury prone, just unlucky. I'm willing to bet he'll be back in 2016-17 at 100% and I'll have myself a legit first pairing shutdown D-man who complements Barrie's offensive abilities perfectly.

?????? - Stamkos - Smith
?????? - Trocheck - ??????

Barrie - Klefbom

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 13, 2016

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Dandy Kaiser's clock is a-ticking, even if it's gonna be a-stopping soon

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

i am the bird posted:

I'm going to grab Matt Niskanen

Drouin-McDavid-???
???-Draisaitl-???

Muzzin-Niskanen

Hrm.

VJeff still up and now Infidel Castro as well

You are getting dangerously close to being the Oilers. I'd rectify that with some gritty grinders and long-sticked big bodies ASAP

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Oilers don't have anything close to Muzzin/Niskanen. That's a fine pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

The Oilers don't have anything close to Muzzin/Niskanen. That's a fine pair.

I'm talking about all those early draft-pick small bodied forwards. There's no grit on that team.

Niskanen is legit. I don't really know anything about Muzzin but folks seem to like him.

• Locked thread