Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
I finally got Win10 on my Icon. It changed a bunch of my sounds. I found where to change the ringtone, but how can I change what it does for texts and emails? I like being able to tell them apart, but now every notification is the same.

It also seems to do the same buzz pattern for everything when it used to have different ones.

Anonononomous fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Anonononomous posted:

I finally got Win10 on my Icon. It changed a bunch of my sounds. I found where to change the ringtone, but how can I change what it does for texts and emails? I like being able to tell them apart, but now every notification is the same.

It also seems to do the same buzz pattern for everything when it used to have different ones.

Settings > Personalization > Sounds > Manage App Sounds. If you scroll down and tap on Messaging, there will be a drop -down field where you can select the sound you want. Should be able to do the same with e-mail.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
New build today.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/07/07/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14383-for-pc-and-mobile/

quote:

- We fixed an issue where notifications received while the screen was off didn’t take into consideration the proximity sensor, resulting in the screen turning on to display the notification while in pockets, potentially leading to accidental screen presses.

Thank gently caress.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Does that mean I can finally turn on doubletap to wake again? I disabled it because of issues with pocket dialling(well, locking the screen requiring A1B2C3 to unlock because of failing PINs or landing on the emergency dial screen), and they went away for the most part this way but still occasionally happen when I get notifications.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

The 520 I gave to my old man has developed an interesting new problem - when you boot it up, it briefly shows the Vodafone (the carrier) logo, and then immediately goes to a small DOS-prompt-esque mode saying "ERROR: No bootable options found, press any button to shutdown" or something like that. He claims it just happened when he left it plugged in charging.

It's a 520, I'm tempted to just dumpster it and get him a 650 or an Android device on the cheap as I can't get the recovery tool to recognise the phone - my PC just sits there playing the disconnecting noise over and over (appears as NOKIA BOOTMGR in Device Manager, never a good sign), but there's clearly still some part of it working as the carrier logo appears. Ideas?

e: upon further reading, apparently this is failure of the motherboard or an internal memory chip. So long 520, three years of dutiful service.

DarkMalfunction fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 7, 2016

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Charles Martel posted:

Settings > Personalization > Sounds > Manage App Sounds. If you scroll down and tap on Messaging, there will be a drop -down field where you can select the sound you want. Should be able to do the same with e-mail.

OK, that explains it. It uses a new app for email.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
So like when is Windows Phone going to fix the thing where if you adjust the screen brightness from the pull-down dashboard your phone randomly freezes sometimes? :mad:

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
Well, I've finally decided to give up on Windows Phone. Loved the Lumia 920, but I have so many regrets buying the 950. The final nail in the coffin, among dozens, is the lovely service in my new apartment, which is bad on every carrier because it's a brick building surrounded by brick buildings. Of course the solution to this is WiFi calling, and 950 actually does have that, but it requires carrier support (AT&T). Which of course means it'll never happen. I wonder if I can make it a few more months until the iphone 7 is released...

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

scavok posted:

Well, I've finally decided to give up on Windows Phone. Loved the Lumia 920, but I have so many regrets buying the 950. The final nail in the coffin, among dozens, is the lovely service in my new apartment, which is bad on every carrier because it's a brick building surrounded by brick buildings. Of course the solution to this is WiFi calling, and 950 actually does have that, but it requires carrier support (AT&T). Which of course means it'll never happen. I wonder if I can make it a few more months until the iphone 7 is released...

Is your 950 an AT&T version phone? I'm actually a bit surprised that hasn't happened, as AT&T supports wi-fi calling on other phones.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
What's the best pay-as-you-go Windows Phone out right now? I remember people in this thread talking about a cheap, yet serviceable phone that's like ~$50 at Best Buy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Well the 640 has Win10 and the 640 xl doesn't yet, and those are supposed to be the cheaper models if I remember correctly.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You can get the Lumia 550 for a cheap, but current gen windows phone with Windows 10.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shinjobi posted:

Well the 640 has Win10 and the 640 xl doesn't yet, and those are supposed to be the cheaper models if I remember correctly.

Yeah, AT&T branded 640 is a no brainer and should be dirt cheap.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Phone-related chat: I'm giving up on the MS Band 2. I'm now faced with a third replacement after the battery stopped working. Again :suicide: Charged to full last night, the thing died mid-workout this morning and won't turn on at all. Store offered me a like-for-like swap, or store credit for the current purchase price. $75 to get out of this ecosystem :smith:

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Chasiubao posted:

Phone-related chat: I'm giving up on the MS Band 2. I'm now faced with a third replacement after the battery stopped working. Again :suicide: Charged to full last night, the thing died mid-workout this morning and won't turn on at all. Store offered me a like-for-like swap, or store credit for the current purchase price. $75 to get out of this ecosystem :smith:

Mine died recently too - just wouldn't hold a charge, would turn off as soon as it was off the cradle. Beh.

I got a replacement.

I still don't know why I track runs or sleep though.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mr Funkface posted:

Mine died recently too - just wouldn't hold a charge, would turn off as soon as it was off the cradle. Beh.

I got a replacement.

I still don't know why I track runs or sleep though.

This would be my third replacement and I'm fed up enough that I'll eat the cost just to not deal with reliability issues like this.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Chasiubao posted:

This would be my third replacement and I'm fed up enough that I'll eat the cost just to not deal with reliability issues like this.

:toot:

Turns out if you can find the receipt in your email, they'll give you the full purchase price back! On a gift card, mind you, but good enough. Walked out with a Charge HR instead.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

:toot:

Turns out if you can find the receipt in your email, they'll give you the full purchase price back! On a gift card, mind you, but good enough. Walked out with a Charge HR instead.

Yep. I walked out with a $249 credit back on my card. (splitting band, manager immediately offered refund if I wanted). Works for me!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I got really pissed and had to fight to get my money back for my Band 1 as they stopped carrying it in the stores and I was on replacement 3 and I didn't want to wait to get a replacement in the mail. They offered me a Band 2 which I took and I'm on my second one after the first one had the battery problem. Oh, it still really doesn't sync in real time like my phone like it's supposed to. I think that's a Phone issue.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
I'm getting super sluggish phone function and hanging while sending txts and even on turn off/slide down to power off. It just sits there. I've got storage full warnings but still my dick pics shouldn't be clogging the phone functions right?

Backup/restart ahoy for this cowboy.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

Is your 950 an AT&T version phone? I'm actually a bit surprised that hasn't happened, as AT&T supports wi-fi calling on other phones.

Yeah, it's AT&T branded. They currently only support it for iPhones and an LG G4: https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/cellphones.html?taxoFeatures=Wi-Fi-CALLING

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So after jumping ship to a Nexus 6p, I really miss Windows Phone. Is the 950 (non-xl) any good now? I'm with T-mobile and the 950 AT&T version is around 250$~ on swappa. I'm really tempted to go back. :smith:

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

ratbert90 posted:

So after jumping ship to a Nexus 6p, I really miss Windows Phone. Is the 950 (non-xl) any good now? I'm with T-mobile and the 950 AT&T version is around 250$~ on swappa. I'm really tempted to go back. :smith:

I just got a 950 because of the BOGO deal (hit Swappa to get a discounted unlocked dual sim). I had a 640 before, and the 950 is awesome - much faster, great screen, and everything works well on the latest W10 release preview (but make sure you use the release preview... the standard W10 release on the 950 is not good).

I never had a "lack of apps" problem or anything else so maybe its biased advice... but I really like the phone!

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Dropped my 950 in the ocean :downs: After an overnight stay in a bag of rice it still functions, sorta. Camera/flash are basically dead though and that's important.

Where's the best place to get a replacement? Checked Swappa/Expansys/Amazon but not sure what my best option is. Anyone bought a phone off CL and had it turn out ok? Sounds sketchy but the prices are reasonable.

Edit: This has to be a scam, right? http://buybuybox.com/product.php?id=32235

Tivac fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 14, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tivac posted:

Dropped my 950 in the ocean :downs: After an overnight stay in a bag of rice it still functions, sorta. Camera/flash are basically dead though and that's important.

Where's the best place to get a replacement? Checked Swappa/Expansys/Amazon but not sure what my best option is. Anyone bought a phone off CL and had it turn out ok? Sounds sketchy but the prices are reasonable.

Edit: This has to be a scam, right? http://buybuybox.com/product.php?id=32235

That's about the range of what AT&T 950s are going for on Swappa

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/7/14/12192876/lenovo-softbank-503lv-windows-10-phone-japan

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

That's about the range of what AT&T 950s are going for on Swappa

I just committed to a 950 off Swappa - unlocked dual sim, lightly fondled, black Mozo back + other cheap holster and gummy case. USD260. The corner off my 640 just chipped off (goddamnn is the back brittle, after less than a year it's got chunks taken out and cracks marbling the back). I'm quite excited! Also questioning my judgement a little in sticking with WPhone but it suits me fine despite limitations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The only app I'm missing at this point is a sleep tracker; the ones on the store are ancient WP7/8 things that either have major limitations like not working with the screen off or outright don't work at all, and both Fitbit and Microsoft Health require an expensive wristwatch to track sleep.

This is despite Sleep Cycle on iOS comfortably working with just a phone, which is the only reason I still have my old iPhone 4S by my bed.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The only app I'm missing at this point is a sleep tracker; the ones on the store are ancient WP7/8 things that either have major limitations like not working with the screen off or outright don't work at all, and both Fitbit and Microsoft Health require an expensive wristwatch to track sleep.

This is despite Sleep Cycle on iOS comfortably working with just a phone, which is the only reason I still have my old iPhone 4S by my bed.

The Fitbit One can be had for as low as $70, there's no "expensive wristwatch" needed to track sleep via Fitbit.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Windows Central got their hands on the McLaren phone with working 3D touch. Looks pretty neat. Could have been something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3naqBqK7mvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSK-XuhUFPU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

wookieepelt posted:

Windows Central got their hands on the McLaren phone with working 3D touch. Looks pretty neat. Could have been something special.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just got an email from Amazon telling that they're removing their windows phone app after 15th August and that I should just use their website on my phone. Seriously annoyed by that, as for every bit of improvement I see, I get a load of inconveniences.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

wookieepelt posted:

Y'know, I really like pretty much all of Satya Nadella's decisions for the most part and he is preferable to Steve Ballmer in every way

but every once in a while you see something like this and it's like, man, at least Ballmer dared to dream

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

loquacius posted:

Y'know, I really like pretty much all of Satya Nadella's decisions for the most part and he is preferable to Steve Ballmer in every way

but every once in a while you see something like this and it's like, man, at least Ballmer dared to dream

I think the videos said this is likely still in development, but there's no point in releasing a technology like that until it's ready. Microsoft has been trying to push Kinect for some time now and has only recently abandoned any real effort to do so. I got sick of shouting at my Xbox to turn the gently caress off, while it just didn't respond.

Also, the hand gestures were stupid for interacting with the UI, working about 5% of the time for me. Xbox controller input works every time. See also the iris scanner for Windows Hello in Windows 10 - slow and unreliable; entering a PIN or password is much faster and 100% reliable.

These are all nice proof-of-concept ideas, but no where near ready for prime time.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

WattsvilleBlues posted:

See also the iris scanner for Windows Hello in Windows 10 - slow and unreliable; entering a PIN or password is much faster and 100% reliable.

why the gently caress did they not just use a fingerprint scanner - or have both so you could choose?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

DarkMalfunction posted:

why the gently caress did they not just use a fingerprint scanner - or have both so you could choose?

Windows Hello has supported it for awhile (The Surface Pro keyboard can be bought with it), it just wasn't available on phones. Now it is with the HP Elite X3. So i can imagine it may be on a future MS phone at some point.

Now, why not have it from the start? I imagine the Iris stuff was ready before the fingerprint stuff was, and once they got the design of the phones down it's kinda hard to just go and change it after the fact.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Also changing it may have let an ounce of happiness and satisfaction into the tortured hearts of the WP userbase, and we just can't have that! ;)

Looking forward to the HP mobile extender thing, do we know the dates yet?

identity49
Nov 29, 2007
I updated my Lumia Icon to WP10, seems pretty alright except now I can't browse my music files through my car's (Mazda) infotainment system. There has to be a way to fix this, right? My googling hasn't turned up anything yet.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Also, the hand gestures were stupid for interacting with the UI, working about 5% of the time for me. Xbox controller input works every time. See also the iris scanner for Windows Hello in Windows 10 - slow and unreliable; entering a PIN or password is much faster and 100% reliable.

I don't know about iris scanning, but I'm using the face scanner for Windows Hello on my Surface Pro 4 and I totally bloody love it. Awesome. I sit down at my desk and reach for the keyboard and I'm already logged in before my fingers hit the keys. My SP4 has a fingerprint sensor on its type-cover, and also I set up a PIN, but Windows Hello logs me in so promptly that I never have reason to go for either of them.

(Sorry, this is the Windows Phone thread, so maybe the experience with phone+iris is way different. I got so irritated at having to unlock my phone that I just decoupled it from work email, so it no longer enforces a PIN, and I can get to it so much quicker.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The iris thing is also another annoyance in that it only ever works for some people by design, being a Swedish glasses-wearer I an largely locked out of iris recognition, as well as anything bound to Cortana. In fact the search button is pretty useless as well since the remaining functionality, Bing, is not just not as good as Google in Swedish, it is straight-up trash.

I do rather hope that things will head in an a bit more inclusive direction in the future.