Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Microwaves Mom posted:

sounds like you should stop smoking and drinking and pay your bills instead, rear end in a top hat.

His debts are usually in the hundreds to thousands of dollars and it sounds like he mostly gets beer on a bottle exchange program and smokes through bumming cigarettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Fatbeard, do you still have the bicycle? And did you ever make it to Biciklopopravljaona? I think you could have a lot of fun working on your bike and maybe even volunteering with them (their whole purpose is to recycle and repair trash bicycles). Here's the link again:

http://biciklopopravljaona.zelena-akcija.hr/p/cesto-postavljana-pitanja.html

Yeah, I sure remember this idea - and to be frank - it was a good idea, it's just that I never find enough time to visit biciklopopravljaona. Besides, I'm completely broke at the moment and I couldn't afford to replace bowden cable which activates the brakes on a rear wheel. On monday I'm probably getting a ton of cash so I'll visit them to have my bike repaired.

You know what else I did with my bike? I wrapped the frame with an incredibly ugly, brown masking tape - to make the bike less appealing to would-be thieves. :)

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Microwaves Mom posted:

sounds like you should stop smoking and drinking and pay your bills instead, rear end in a top hat.

Thank god. Nobody has ever said this before and I'm sure your stern talk will turn his life right around.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Yeah, I sure remember this idea - and to be frank - it was a good idea, it's just that I never find enough time to visit biciklopopravljaona. Besides, I'm completely broke at the moment and I couldn't afford to replace bowden cable which activates the brakes on a rear wheel. On monday I'm probably getting a ton of cash so I'll visit them to have my bike repaired.

You know what else I did with my bike? I wrapped the frame with an incredibly ugly, brown masking tape - to make the bike less appealing to would-be thieves. :)

Haha that's great! Here's the next level of that if you're keen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2QzusbKlGM

Yeah, I hear you on time (OK, maybe I don't? you spend all day rummaging in the trash.)

But don't let the cost of one cable deter you -- I'm pretty sure you could trade some volunteer time for it. Cables are one of the least expensive things on a bike. I also think you might enjoy volunteering with them.

Also thanks! I've been working on bikes for years and never knew the term Bowden cable. We usually just distinguish them by their function/strength ie brake cables vs shifter cables, but that is a great term! :spergin: for the win!

Zymurgy
Feb 16, 2011

Also thanks! I've been working on bikes for years and never knew the term Bowden cable. We usually just distinguish them by their function/strength ie brake cables vs shifter cables, but that is a great term! :spergin: for the win!

I've been working on bikes my entire life and I've never heard of a Bowden cable. They're extremely easy to replace and are just as cheap.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Are you still making GBS threads your pants, OP, or have you graduated to making GBS threads other people's pants?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
OP come and post in the Croatia Euro 2016 thread even if you aren't a football fan http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778378&pagenumber=1#lastpost

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Retail Slave posted:

Are you still making GBS threads your pants, OP, or have you graduated to making GBS threads other people's pants?

I'm still making GBS threads my own pants. Yesterday my friend invited me to a heavy metal concert and I had to turn him down - I hate heavy metal music (and crowds of people as well as loud noises in general), the whole thing would've been a nasty ordeal to me, so why bother in the first place?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Sounds like it would have been a fun time.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Subbed anime taught me both Japanese and conversational English. I later hammered the nail home by making my own JP->EN fansubs of some impossibly campy and fruity 1970s animes, the less said of which the better.

Dude - which ones? I'm super curious to know which old-rear end animes you used to learn English. Rose of Versailles? Patarillo?

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Dude - which ones? I'm super curious to know which old-rear end animes you used to learn English. Rose of Versailles? Patarillo?

I have a soft spot for Matsumoto's stuff such as Yamato (1974). I subbed shoujo anime such as Candy Candy (1976) and Mahou no Mako chan (1970). I'm pretty sure that there are no surviving torrents of this poo poo as my translation was patchy at best and the whole thing should be buried in the great digital compost heap where it belongs in the first place.

And now something different: my neighbor in the roach tower is a huge stoner. Literally every day, he'll knock on my doors and ask me if I'm down for some weed, like some kind of Weed Kramer or something. Needless to say, I'm more than okay with this sort of thing going on. And I'm frequently getting free beer - it goes well with free weed. :)

Zymurgy
Feb 16, 2011

And now something different: my neighbor in the roach tower is a huge stoner. Literally every day, he'll knock on my doors and ask me if I'm down for some weed, like some kind of Weed Kramer or something. Needless to say, I'm more than okay with this sort of thing going on. And I'm frequently getting free beer - it goes well with free weed. :)

Living the dream ASF.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Haha that's great! Here's the next level of that if you're keen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2QzusbKlGM

Sort of the opposite- I've taken to smacking big globs of rustoleum paint over rust and scratches on my bike, which looks terrible and has the added bonus of stopping it from decaying any further.
Also I installed a front basket from a 20-year old bike that is so bent and rusted that I can barely cram a bottle of wine in it.

In my city the estimated number of bikes stolen per annum far exceeds the number of new bikes sold.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Awwww yisss here we go again. I got a letter from Ljubljana in which the Slovenians are "sincerely" apologizing for making an administrative error in the paperwork which prevented them from sending me my money a few days ago. I'll have to wait yet another month since these fuckers are going to stall me with the payment for as long as they can. They don't care that I'm all over my head in debt and that I have two foreclosures on my rear end. Well gently caress.
I'm currently off meds since I gobbled down a month's worth of supply in a couple of days and now I can kindly get hosed until the 16th. Good thing that my stoner buddy keeps the gravy train going with tons of weed. :420:

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

I got most of the rent money from both Waldo and Mario. Waldo was unable to pay me in full, but provided that the owner of the cafe he's working at doesn't screw him over yet again, he'll chip in the remainder of the rent by the end of this week. Waldo finally stood up for himself, telling the owner that he'll plum refuse to show up at work if the salary ends up being late again (or if it's not being paid out in entirety.) Apparently, the owner seems to have been shaken into action. We'll see how that'll go in the long-run.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm doing really well. The combination of prescription meds and weed is slowly, but surely killing the old autistic shut-in aspect of my personality. My stoner neighbor is an absolute saint - while I never directly told him that I'm a high-functioning autistic and a retard, he figured out on his own that I'm pretty hosed in the head - and he then extended a helping hand to me because he realized that I'm in a dire need for a good friend.

Another thing, I'm just beginning to realize just how friendly the world around me really is. Whenever I meet a neighbor from the Roach Tower - doesn't matter who they are or where we meet - they'll greet me with a warm hello, a smile, and then they'll ask me if I'm doing well. Turns out that everybody knows me and everybody is striving to be as friendly as possible to me. I sometimes wonder whether I really deserve this kind of treatment.

It wasn't always this way. As little as three to four years ago, I couldn't wrap my mind around the concept of love and friendship and I didn't deal very well with emotions, just like Ikari Shinji from Evangelion. Today, I'm gradually changing for the better and I'm astounded by the human warmth I'm experiencing for the first time in my life. It's not because I wasn't loved and appreciated before - I could have been showered with friendship but all of that would have flown right above my head - the same thing that happened to Shinji. He too had an emotional renaissance at the end of the series.

I know goons are going to poke fun at me for resorting to anime stereotypes to prove my point, but I'm still not emotionally mature enough to express it in my own words. I'm getting better every day though. :)

My weed neighbor invited me for some pancakes today. I haven't eaten a single pancake since early 2000s and I was obviously very excited about this, but then I remembered that I'm lactose intolerant and since the pancakes were stuffed with cheese (yum!), they would cause me to blow out tremendous farts - and this would've been a dangerous gamble, being farty yet stuck with chronic diarrhea. I had to turn the guy down, but he understood my rationale and he wasn't angry. :)

It's a pity that I can't eat dairy products anymore. I used to consume a full gallon of milk every day as a kid, and all the calcium gave me incredibly tough bones and teeth. When I got run over by a car back in 1993, I only ended up with road rash while the car was pretty trashed. I also never experienced toothache - I had a teeny little cavity in one of the molars back in 1997, had it fixed "just in case" and... well that was it, as far as tooth decay was concerned. I had two healthy wisdom teeth pulled later on - they were kinda impacted and I think everybody would agree that it was best to get them taken care of before they cause serious trouble in my mouth. :)

Do you think that the concussion I suffered when I got pwned by a car caused me to suffer from bad memory later on? I have a lot of trouble memorizing human faces - quite a few people will greet me on the street, and I have to hide the fact that while I know that they're more than likely my neighbors from the Roach Tower, I have no idea who they really are or where did I meet them in the first place. It's slightly unnerving. :(

Also, my neighbor's cat frightened the holy bajeezus out of me the other day. He invited me over for a blunt, we got pretty baked and I sort of forgot that he keeps two extremely friendly cornish rex kitties. Bobbie the cat snuck up to me and gave me an universal cat greeting - by headbutting my arm. I felt something warm and fuzzy latching onto my arm, and without thinking, I jumped up, started screaming and flapping my arms like an idiot. We all laughed, but this incident just goes to show that I'm suffering from sensory defensiveness, a problem shared by many autistics. A simple social body contact triggers a fight-or-flight reflex in my mind. Chris-chan suffers from the same affliction.

Sure, Chris is a moron but I'm only marginally better than him. :(

fake edit: excuse me for this disjointed, rambling post. I'm kinda baked right now and I'm sorta high on human emotions. :love: :420: :love:

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

My weed neighbor invited me for some pancakes today. I haven't eaten a single pancake since early 2000s and I was obviously very excited about this, but then I remembered that I'm lactose intolerant and since the pancakes were stuffed with cheese (yum!), they would cause me to blow out tremendous farts - and this would've been a dangerous gamble, being farty yet stuck with chronic diarrhea. I had to turn the guy down, but he understood my rationale and he wasn't angry. :)

Do they not sell Lactaid (or anything with lactase in it) in Croatia? Cheese stuffed pancakes don't sound worth giving up on.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Is gay marriage legal in Croatia? Consider marrying your weed neighbor.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Tremendous Farts is my new band name.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Also, my neighbor's cat frightened the holy bajeezus out of me the other day. He invited me over for a blunt, we got pretty baked and I sort of forgot that he keeps two extremely friendly cornish rex kitties. Bobbie the cat snuck up to me and gave me an universal cat greeting - by headbutting my arm. I felt something warm and fuzzy latching onto my arm, and without thinking, I jumped up, started screaming and flapping my arms like an idiot. We all laughed, but this incident just goes to show that I'm suffering from sensory defensiveness, a problem shared by many autistics. A simple social body contact triggers a fight-or-flight reflex in my mind. Chris-chan suffers from the same affliction.

Sure, Chris is a moron but I'm only marginally better than him. :(

Unless you start spraying mace at electronics store employees because Sonic's arms are the wrong color you can consider yourself way above Chris-chan.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

It seems that this saga has come to an end, and in a good way! Lemme tell you what happened in the past few days.

I went to the doctor on Thursday and picked up two packs of xannies. I rode the bus on the way home, and was caught by the conductor since I had no valid ticket (and couldn't afford one anyway.) I tried to bluff and showed him an old ticket from 2014 - this trick saved my rear end a couple of times already - but not this time, the guy saw right through it. I then tried to bribe the conductor so he wouldn't write me a fine, but I had $0.29 on me and the guy just stared me down and wrote me a $35 fine anyway.
I resigned to the fact that this fine will be just another piece of paper in an ever-growing pile of unpaid bills.
However, upon returning home I turned on my computer and checked my email - and holy poo poo, there was a message from my bank: :siren: the Slovenians seriously floated me 6900 euros!:siren:

I loaded up on xannies and went to the bank to immediately return all the money I borrowed from my friends!

When I got home, I of course overdid the xannies and became violently sick, threw up in the toilet a couple of times and then some more into the bathroom sink, plugging the thing. But nevermind. :ughh:

On Friday, I went around the town, paying all the back utilities. I have very vague recollections of what happened on that day, because I was high as gently caress. All the debt is now paid though! :)

I then contacted Waldo and let him know that he'd either shape up or ship out. I have no reason to keep grappling with his bullshit. If he doesn't pay me by the end of the month, I'll kick him out immediately and find a new tenant, because money is might, and might is always right.

Yesterday I decided to splurge a bit and I bought me a nice new cellphone for $28. :D

So it seems now that the worst has passed. I think I'll keep this thread alive with a little bit of urbex, at least until Waldo either starts paying me or until I kick him out and replace him with a (hopefully) better tenant. :)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
How much do you have left, and how long do you expect till last?

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

How much do you have left, and how long do you expect till last?

I still have around 2500 euros. My intention is to hold on to that money and put it in a savings account "just in case" or for property repairs - for example, I need to buy a new washing machine for property C and have the folding window blinds repaired.

I think I neglected to explain why I held out on Waldo for as long as I did. I was completely broke and there were a lot of unpaid utility bills. I couldn't have rented out the property C to someone else, because the cable internet was cut and power could have been cut at any time. No tenant in their right mind would've agreed to live in an apartment with a broken washing machine, no internet and electricity that could've been unplugged at any time. So I was stuck with Waldo. Now I'm no longer stuck with Waldo. :getin:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Money has corrupted you, ASF :smith:

the_owlet
Apr 3, 2015

Do you think that the concussion I suffered when I got pwned by a car caused me to suffer from bad memory later on? I have a lot of trouble memorizing human faces - quite a few people will greet me on the street, and I have to hide the fact that while I know that they're more than likely my neighbors from the Roach Tower, I have no idea who they really are or where did I meet them in the first place. It's slightly unnerving. :(

To me, that sounds like prosopagnosia - face blindess. It's a recognised neurological thing that affects a surprisingly large proportion people, only I guess lots of them don't talk about it because if you've just ignored an old friend in the street, it can sound like a pretty lovely excuse. http://prosopagnosiaresearch.org/index/information

Also, poor Waldo :(

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude
I am happy those dastardly Slovenes finally gave you what's yours and you used it to pay your debts. That was very honourable, treat yourself to a big bottle of lovely beer to go with those Xanax's (but not too much!)

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:
I thought you were going to say that you bribed the driver with the Xanax and it worked :(

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

the_owlet posted:

Also, poor Waldo :(

Waldo has been a complete pushover and his boss is continuously taking advantage of him. :( The cafe owner owes him no less than two months' worth of salaries, over one thousand euros in total, and the past few months Waldo has been subsiding on loose change, which his corrupt boss "mercifully" floated to him. Waldo thinks that he's on the business end of some sort of Yugo-racism, since he's a Serb and the cafe owner is a stereotypical Bible-thumpin' Croat.

Yesterday, however, Waldo finally lost it. He told me that today he'll either collect all the money his boss owes him, or that he's gonna trash the bar and slash the guy's tires. I don't know how this'll end, but I suppose that it's good that Waldo finally stood up for himself.

I'll get him a brand new washing machine in a couple of days. I have nothing personal against Waldo, after all I wrote off a huge debt he had towards me, I'll just demand that we go back to doing serious business with each other again like two reasonable adults. :)

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Yesterday, however, Waldo finally lost it. He told me that today he'll either collect all the money his boss owes him, or that he's gonna trash the bar and slash the guy's tires. I don't know how this'll end, but I suppose that it's good that Waldo finally stood up for himself.

:siren: poo poo is about to hit the fan. :siren:

Waldo invited his brother over to his place - looks like they're set on wrangling the money from Waldo's corrupt boss. While Waldo is thin and lanky, his brother is... holy poo poo, 250 pounds of bear-wrestlin' muscle. You don't want to wrong that guy!

I just came home from a shopping spree - bought a brand new washing machine for Waldo, it's going to be delivered in the morning and Waldo and I are going to install it. It's a really nice washing machine, Slovenian Gorenje brand, which has an excellent reputation for durability and reliability combined with a very attractive price. Gorenje appliances can be found all over the former eastern bloc, the brand was something of a status symbol in the former USSR, and you can find Slovenian-made Gorenje appliances as far as Vladivostok. Back in the Yugo times, we sold literal boatloads of fridges and other appliances to the Russkies, and Russians paid us back the only way they could - in MiGs. It was literally Fridges for MiGs. :D

Back to Waldo and his brother - looks like I'll finally get some money out of this, and I think I really deserve it after all I've been through. I just hope that Waldo&co. won't do something that'll land them in the evening news. :ohdear:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
:allbuttons:

:f5:

I love this thread.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Internet Defectives > Croatia: I didn't deal very well with emotions, just like Ikari Shinji from Evangelion.

Internet Defectives > Croatia: When I got run over by a car back in 1993, I only ended up with road rash while the car was pretty trashed.

Internet Defectives > Croatia: Bobbie the cat snuck up to me and gave me an universal cat greeting

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

:munch:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

why do people in croatia continue to work for weeks without getting their pay?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

This thread truly is the greatest

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Efexeye posted:

It's kind of the norm. They learn to live the sunk cost fallacy and know they're never getting a dime if they quit.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Efexeye posted:

I worked in the UK at a place that did that. When I showed them my UK passport and threatened them with my barrister aunt and said I was quitting (I was not truthful about the aunt, 'cos she wouldn't give me the time of day) I got paid. It's not a 'crazy eastern european' thing. I also quit after I got paid and they were like 'but I paid you!'. I said, well I did give notice two weeks ago dude.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I have had many a lovely, lovely job, starting with caddying at a country club, then bagging groceries, working in restaurants of varying degrees of quality for a decade, teaching school and now finally consulting and my one solid rule across all these experiences is if you don't pay me when we agreed you would, I don't work. You have literally no other leverage over your employer in a right-to-work state, which I assume, croatia isnt

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Efexeye posted:

I have had many a lovely, lovely job, starting with caddying at a country club, then bagging groceries, working in restaurants of varying degrees of quality for a decade, teaching school and now finally consulting and my one solid rule across all these experiences is if you don't pay me when we agreed you would, I don't work. You have literally no other leverage over your employer in a right-to-work state, which I assume, croatia isnt

I'm not trying to justify being dumb, but Croatia has something like 20% unemployment rate and up to 50% for young people, so a job that pays occasionally still beats no job at all, ever.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I was reading through my town's big list of which things should be composted, recycled, or thrown out, and it made a point to say that human teeth should not be put into the compost collection bins. Good to know that people like ASF will still be able to raid trash cans for spare teeth here. :psyduck:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We all know what that means: that it has been a problem in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My guess is that people dig them up and then assume there's a body buried there too.