Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

eXXon posted:

This seems like one of the less terrible things the Liberals could do with Hydro One, at least until they run it into the ground and the stock tanks and the First Nations are out a cool hundred million or so.

Or the First Nations could just sell it right away, pay back the loan and keep 120m. Also lol at the idea the government would collect on the loan if the monopoly's stock collapsed. If FN had any collateral, we wouldn't need to give them zero down payment on 30% discounted stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
why do you guys love natives so much

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
because they're the ones most likely to start an armed uprising within the next 50 years

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
gustaffson lake and kahnawake sure ended well

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
it's not like it won't be interesting to watch which was largely my point

the drone footage would be cool

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Tighclops posted:

because they're the ones most likely to start an armed uprising within the next 50 years

The fact that you'd suggest that says a lot about how little you know about indigenous people. There will never be a significant armed uprising similar to size of the October Crisis by native peoples.

Violence by natives? Absolutely and understandable. An actual uprising that invokes a response similar to that of the War Measures Act? Pure fantasy.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Leofish posted:

https://twitter.com/KrisReports/status/753020804607139840

The sign one of them is holding apparently also said All Lives Matter on it.

Oh, look—more Canadians acting like they're in a position to tell Americans about America. :jerkbag:

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/lng-canada-kitimat-delays-1.3674798

I was in Kitimat a couple weeks ago visiting family. They're still charging ahead on hotels, work camps, apartments (one of them is being built on what's essentially a flood plain, I don't even know what the idea was there)... meanwhile, houses don't seem to be selling anymore and the one hotel that did get finished is mostly empty. The other hotel in town got converted to low-income housing a while ago. Anyway, it was all going to turn around when those LNG proposals came through...

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Leofish posted:

Wait, nevermind, sorry Tony. New controversy.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
Time for your daily serving of Albertan tears.

CBC posted:

Questions about the integrity of the voting process in which Anglicans narrowly rejected a resolution to allow same-sex marriage emerged Tuesday, and led to a stunning reversal of the result.

Some members stood up to say their votes had not been recorded during voting late Monday, when passage of the resolution failed by a single vote.

"That is an issue of concern," said Archbishop Fred Hiltz, primate of the church. "We cannot leave this synod with this kind of confusion."

The error was discovered after delegates requested a detailed hard copy of the electronic voting records.

Hiltz then declared the resolution in favour of same-sex marriage had passed.

"That is our reality," Hiltz told stunned delegates. "That the motion is in fact carried in all three orders."

"Same-sex marriage. In the church. In my lifetime," tweeted Lauren Bryant-Monk, of Halifax. "I'm so proud to be Anglican today."

The resolution still needs affirmation by the next synod in 2019 before it becomes church law.

On Tuesday, several bishops said they planned to go ahead with same-sex marriages regardless. They leaned on a statement from the chancellor of the general synod, who said the current marriage canon does not specifically ban solemnizing same-sex marriages.

Bishop John Chapman of Ottawa said he would proceed immediately with such unions in his diocese, although no one would be forced to officiate at such a ceremony.

"Take heart," said Rev. Melissa Skelton, bishop of New Westminster, B.C. "This is not over."

It was indeed not over as questions swirled Tuesday about the vote itself. And then the recount changed the church's position.

"This is the best news I have heard in a long time!" tweeted Marlene Wells, from Nova Scotia. "My weepy day has ended; let's celebrate."

"I'm flabbergasted, honestly," said Eliot Waddingham, 24, a transgender person from Ottawa, who had earlier spoken of being brokenhearted by the initial vote. "I can't believe this."

'Deep differences'

Not everyone, however, was pleased.

Northern representatives complained about feeling bullied, while Larry Robertson, Yukon bishop, left the floor earlier Tuesday in protest, saying he was angered at what he called the adversarial process.

Hiltz acknowledged the "deep differences" that exist around the issue.

"We sometimes find ourselves very much being pulled apart," he told delegates on Tuesday. "Our work on this matter is not done. It's not sufficient for us to simply say we dealt with the resolution."

He promised a pastoral letter in response by Thursday.

While some fretted the issue would cause a rupture and spark an exodus of members, others said they believed the church would hold together despite the bruising nature of the debate in which some used terms such as "abomination" in reference to the LGBT community.

"It was painful process, it was a difficult process, but at the end of the day, we've ended up moving forward," British Columbia Bishop Logan McMenamie said.

Toronto Archbishop Colin Johnson called same-sex marriages — at the discretion of the bishop and with agreement of local clergy — a logical step in the evolution of the church.

About 1.6 million Canadians identify themselves as Anglican, according to Statistics Canada, and church figures indicate more than 500,000 of them are part of about 2,800 congregations across the country.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
A heartwarming story in which correcting one clerical error prevented another.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

sliderule posted:

:golfclap:

I've always admired the Anglicans for having these votes in the open (versus the Catholic Church which does these things in secret to preserve the illusion of divine law).

a primate fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 13, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sliderule posted:

Very well done.

Constant Hamprince posted:

Time for your daily serving of Albertan tears.

Say what? The article doesn't mention Alberta at all. Most Albertans, at least the city dwellers, will be happy with this news, just as I am.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Leofish posted:

Wait, nevermind, sorry Tony. New controversy.

#altolivesmatter

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DariusLikewise posted:

#altolivesmatter

sliderule posted:

I approve of the new, pun-focused CanPol thread.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/jen-gerson-jason-kenney-may-already-be-on-cusp-of-uniting-albertas-right-against-him

quote:

Jen Gerson: Jason Kenney may already be on cusp of uniting Alberta’s right — against him

CALGARY — Federal Conservative MP Jason Kenney may indeed be on the cusp of uniting Alberta’s right; if rumours prove true, provincial conservatives of all stripes, long divided by ideology and personal acrimony, may be on the verge of uniting — against him.

Ringing endorsements of Kenney by both former Prime Minister Stephen Harper and current federal Conservative leader Rona Ambrose have infuriated more than a few long-time provincial Progressive Conservative organizers and volunteers.

At an Alberta PC Stampede pub night in Calgary on Monday the phrase “they should have minded their own business” was overheard more than a few times. Kenney himself showed up to wave his flag at the event, to an atmosphere described by several of its hundred attendees as “tense.”

It was more than a little “bold” of the MP to come glad-hand in that room just days after promising to destroy the party, it was said between death-faced grimaces and at least one barely concealed stabby motion made repeatedly in Kenney’s direction.

Surrounded by his own supporters for much of the evening, there was a noticeable physical gap between Kenney’s crowd and the rest of the Red Tories. In a room filled with cowboy hats and jangly earrings, potstickers and beer, Kenney — an apparently legendary retail politician — managed to alienate or ignore several key PC executives, organizers and volunteers.

“I introduced myself, told him what my political role was in the community and said I’d like to meet my opposition face-to-face but I wished him well on the campaign trail,” said Debra Janzen, an attendee and long time volunteer and supporter with both the federal Conservatives and provincial PCs. “He turned and walked away.”

[...]

If Kenney wants to win the support of the PCs — if he even wants to collect the support of enough Albertans to overrun their delegate process — this isn’t going to cut it.

Alberta has real and pressing problems. The province needs a leader who can identify those problems and provide better solutions; not indistinct fluffers crafted by federal Conservatives whose egos were deflated by the NDP win on home turf.

drat. Sounds like the Alberta PCs dislike Kenney even more than this thread. :laugh:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It's funny how these Harper era cabinet members who think they're destined for great things after all the loyal service they provided to the Conservative party. They don't seem to realize most of them only made it to the top and stayed there because Harper couldn't tolerate independence or individual initiative. Now they get to discover just how little the country, even Alberta, really think of them. "Indistinct fluffers crafted by federal Conservatives" is a pretty apt description.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Alberta also wants a Trump for themselves so none of these cuckservatives will do

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

All Canadian conservatives are cuckservatives.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

DariusLikewise posted:

#altolivesmatter

That guys Facebook (Remigio Pereira) is a loving gold mine of crazy conspiracies ranging from 'water shapes' from music, 432Hz, claims the sun is in our atmosphere (he posts a video of the sun supposedly 'between' clouds), flat earther, small universe-er...

Highly recommend amusing yourself by visiting that page and laughing at that idiot.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I bet he's a devout Catholic.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

JVNO posted:

That guys Facebook (Remigio Pereira) is a loving gold mine of crazy conspiracies ranging from 'water shapes' from music, 432Hz, claims the sun is in our atmosphere (he posts a video of the sun supposedly 'between' clouds), flat earther, small universe-er...

Highly recommend amusing yourself by visiting that page and laughing at that idiot.

Somehow he has <5,000 followers yet Twitter has verified him--sort of impressive.

https://twitter.com/RemigioPereira

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

JVNO posted:

He seems quite delusional in general, schizophrenia or something.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

DariusLikewise posted:

Please don't play Internet psychiatrist.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Please don't commit Sociology

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Just trying to say the man is clearly deranged and not delivering the same message as the rest of the people chanting all lives matter.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Brazeau's charges dropped. Huh.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Kenny Logins posted:

Cocaine and hookers for everyone in the senate :woop:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Just trying to say the man is clearly deranged and not delivering the same message as the rest of the people chanting all lives matter.

I was kidding, I don't know about the other guy

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I've been through the free healthcare system today, and it's actually pretty good so far (this is the first time I've been to see a doctor since I got strepthroat a few years ago). I saw a doctor and got an ultrasound and diagnosis all before the private clinic even loving phoned me back to schedule an appointment, and I haven't had to pay for a thing.

I'm thinking this two-tier system might actually not be all it's cracked up to be, since apparently you get worse care at private facilities.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Kenny Logins posted:

Which ones?

(I know it's just the expenses charges, this is a rhetorical question).

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Which ones?

(I know it's just the expenses charges, this is a rhetorical question).
Phonepostin' before but here's a CBC.ca link.

On a somewhat amusing note, he still has an active charge of refusing to submit to a breathalyzer pending.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Oh look, Toronto City Council is going to once again debate how to replace the Scarborough LRT.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2016/07/13/city-council-debates-scarborough-subway-extension.html

Reminder that a fully funded 7-stop replacement of the current LRT (costing half as much as the current plan to build a single subway station) would have finished in 2020, but instead we haven't even started work on anything.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

PT6A posted:

I've been through the free healthcare system today, and it's actually pretty good so far (this is the first time I've been to see a doctor since I got strepthroat a few years ago). I saw a doctor and got an ultrasound and diagnosis all before the private clinic even loving phoned me back to schedule an appointment, and I haven't had to pay for a thing.

I'm thinking this two-tier system might actually not be all it's cracked up to be, since apparently you get worse care at private facilities.

Glad to see decades of research wasn't enough to convince you but an anecdotal personal experience is enough!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Fried Watermelon posted:

Glad to see decades of research wasn't enough to convince you but an anecdotal personal experience is enough!

shocker

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

vyelkin posted:

Oh look, Toronto City Council is going to once again debate how to replace the Scarborough LRT.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2016/07/13/city-council-debates-scarborough-subway-extension.html

Reminder that a fully funded 7-stop replacement of the current LRT (costing half as much as the current plan to build a single subway station) would have finished in 2020, but instead we haven't even started work on anything.

What's hilarious is that the Scarborough RT is half-assed to begin with so why wouldn't any attempt to replace it be half-assed itself?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Fried Watermelon posted:

To be fair, the argument I've always heard is that a two-tiered system would deliver worse results overall on average, but better and faster results for those going to private clinics and hospitals. The fact that it's probably hurt the healthcare system overall, and still can't guarantee faster or better results, is just unforgivable.

But, yes, I will admit I was wrong.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Trudeau government plans to cut Environment Canada far deeper than the Harper government ever did.

That's #RealChange!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
but he's so good looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Ahem. That's Enviornment and Climate Real Change Canada to you, buddy.